Canfield F1 & dhx5 Pro-Pedal Question- Mtbr.com
    not a forum admin

Canfield F1 & dhx5 Pro-Pedal Question

yO! question for you lucky canfield owners.

I was wondering if you run pro-pedal on your dh5 and how that has worked out for you.

the reason why I ask is: I've noticed that for me currently, my bb seems to end up too low at certain points in my pedal stroke. yesterday at the fontana race, while along the flat section, as known as the "wall" - i clipped my left pedal on a smallish rock which some how caused me to bounce into the wall and also some how bent my stainless upper pulley bolt and some of the frame. i am trying to avoid this from every happening again. i ordered a heavier spring from fox (600lbs instead of 550 - which is closer to what i should be running anyways) - and I was thinking of running with some pro-pedal on as well - i really want to stiffen up the suspension while pedaling, but of course, want it plush on the rocks.

thx
    -adam

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

just suggestions

I have the previous generation F1 so my travel is linear compared to your progressive so haven't dealt with same issue. In theory the propedal may be a good idea as the leverage may overwhelm the platform on the hits easily but still allow you to ride higher in the suspension. Try it. Also, are you already running shorter cranks? If you are DH racing, maybe 165's could be a good option. You look like a big strong guy who would have no trouble turning those over to lay down the power.
    I also recall the discussion on the different links to raise the bb height. Are you going to look into that option?

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    I have the previous generation F1 so my travel is linear compared to your progressive so haven't dealt with same issue. In theory the propedal may be a good idea as the leverage may overwhelm the platform on the hits easily but still allow you to ride higher in the suspension. Try it. Also, are you already running shorter cranks? If you are DH racing, maybe 165's could be a good option. You look like a big strong guy who would have no trouble turning those over to lay down the power.
    I also recall the discussion on the different links to raise the bb height. Are you going to look into that option?
    I haven't tried the pro-pedal yet - this weekend, I'll post up my feelings on it.

I am running 170s now - found some gravity 160s thanks to a phone call from chris.

i am going to also get an extra plate welded to the upper pulley arm to give the pulley a larger and flat surface to be bolted against. got the idea from chris and what he had to say about the new Jedi.

what do you guys think? get a little circle of aluminum welded at the end of the pulley arm to give the pulley a larger surface so the pulley will not flex around?

Canfield Bikes
    AAdam- If you weld on a aluminum frame it will turn the metal super soft, without the heat treat. I would not recommend that that.
    We used to use a plate that goes from the BB to the pulley post with the mounts for the chain guide. Basiclly a chain guide bomerang that goes all the way up to pulley post. That works really well. The only reason we stoped doing it was for the weight.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    AAdam- If you weld on a aluminum frame it will turn the metal super soft, without the heat treat. I would not recommend that that.
    We used to use a plate that goes from the BB to the pulley post with the mounts for the chain guide. Basiclly a chain guide bomerang that goes all the way up to pulley post. That works really well. The only reason we stoped doing it was for the weight.
    oh shiat - really - well - i had better not do that than. I hate how metal doesn't do what it should. thanks for the heads up. if you haven't figured it out by now, i am really good at breaking stuff, and i don't always have the best ideas on how to fix it.

oh a better note - i got a flat on the way home on my road bike today - and so after getting off bart i stopped by my storage locker, which is on my way home to the boat, and i tightened up the bb and all the bolts and pedaled the F1 back home. i sprinted out down the street and up over the 80 overpass and everything seemed just fine. it actually felt a bit better than before! freaking weird!!!

Anyways - thanks again for all the help. when i get the $$ i am going to get a Jedi for racing and keep this F1 for hucking!

not a forum admin

well...

the 600lbs spring didn't seem to help much in keeping the pedals from clipping today. going to try some stuff out tomorrow w/ pro-pedal turned on.

here are pictures of the bend and the bolts. the bolt w/ the wicked bend is from the race and the less bent one is just from today at carlmont.

i think maybe just filing down the arm till it gets to a completely flat face again might be all i can do? it looks like i've got a couple mm to play w/ there - so - going to try that tomorrow unless someone thinks it is a bad idea.

also - i think i heard about longer links for the F1, to get the bb higher off the ground - any body got those - what do you think of them if they exist.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0