CANFIELD BROTHERS BALANCE Race Analysis Tiger Mt.- Mtbr.com
    Dabomb684
    Dec 2013

CANFIELD BROTHERS BALANCE Race Analysis Tiger Mt.

The Canfield Brothers Balance is here, and I know many people are very excited for this beast of an all mountain bike to be hitting the trails! I have my red Balance on order, but I was able to take out the demo to race at the Cascadia Dirt Cup Enduro at Tiger Mt this weekend. And boy did I have a rad time!

This was my first enduro of the year & first time out at Tiger. I'm use to climbing (ok, walking) up Galbraith Mt, so Tiger was a pretty intense climb up. With a 32x36 setup, even with my jelly legs, I still made it up the mountain without too much difficulty.

Three stages were presented to us. First stage was Summit and Off the Grid, second was Summit and Preston, and last was Fully Rigid and Joyride. These trails played to all the strengths of the Balance!

First stage was real flowy, including some good rock and root sections, but tons of sharp, weaving corners. The 650b's were pinning these turns! I felt like I had mobility of a 26" rig. And of course, since this is enduro, there was some brutal uphill sections. Though I was in no shape to pin it up these hills like these XC riders, the Balance tracked perfectly and never slipped under me. It almost knew I was going uphill & virtually locked the suspension out so I could pedal hard. Overall, I had a solid run and passed 3 riders and came in with a time of 14:18 on Stage 1.

After a brutal climb all the way back to the Summit, Stage 2 was calling our names. This course was almost 6 miles I believe and felt like Garbanzo DH all over again....but I'd rather do Garbo! The course lead out of the flowy Summit trail again and lead across the road to some uphill. We transferred into roller coaster type flowiness, where you could deathgrip the whole way down! The 650b's really helped keep my speed up and not have to pedal as much. Then hell showed up. Some good climbing came into play, and on one climb, I hit a huge rock and fell all the way down the hill (good job Tyler). After the pain of crashing & climbing, we had to endure an almost flat trail with tons of roots and rocks for the rest of the way down. The Balance felt like my Jedi. It took up all the chunder and soaked up big hits with ease! With a crash and some leg cramps, I finally finished with a time of 22:19 for Stage 2. Nap time anyone?

With the end in site, we make it to Stage 3. The shortest stage of the day, but definitely not the easiest! The course was very tight with some big root drops in corners, and one of the hardest climbs of the day. I maneuvered very well in all the tight spaces and kept good speed for how tired I was. Sprinting the hardest I could to the finish line, I clocked in at 8:38 for Stage 3. For my first "finished" enduro, I placed 8th place.

The Balance did everything I expected it to do and more! Being a primary DH rider, I'm use to mowing over harsh areas and having endless travel to use. And with the Balance, it felt just like my Jedi! I had so much small bump sensitivity and took some big hits, and it all felt great. I pedaled like I was sprinting on a road bike. And with 650b's on board, I carried so much speed and still cornered very well! All in all, the Balance is the #1 all mountain enduro bike out there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CANFIELD BROTHERS BALANCE Race Analysis Tiger Mt.-10687147_10204969740151662_7549109465807109864_n.jpg  

"Stay on your bike Danny!" :eekster:

mtbr member
    Good report, thanks!
    You came 8th overall?
    What did you think about the Pike on the Balance frame?
    Was it able to take the gnarly stuff with ease or do you think it should be stiffer and more hardcore?

Dabomb684
    Dec 2013
    Thanks bro!

I did like the Pike. It had good small bump sensitivity, which was perfect at Tiger due to lots of small roots and rocks. And it took big hits pretty decent, but I felt the Pike was a bit harsher on them. I'm ordering a MRP Stage for my Balance, and I really love that fork! Same feeling or better on small stuff as the Pike, but when it gets to real big hits, I can use the RAMP adjust to get a more deeper feel.

But overall, the Balance can crush anything! I'll take it down Garbonzo anyday!
    "Stay on your bike Danny!" :eekster:

mtbr member
    Got it, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How's the Balance treating you after a few months. I ride Tiger frequently (granted not this time of year) an am trying to decide on the Balance and whether it's a good all around aggressive trail bike or more designed for Enduro racing and parks.

mtbr member
    Any One owners care to comment on the new Balance vs the v2 One ? I love my One but I do spend a lot of time climbing, was thinking I should consider adding a Balance to the stables. Love All Mountain riding, feel overbiked for many of the climbs and trails that even 5" would be fine for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep View Post
    I love my One but I do spend a lot of time climbing, was thinking I should consider adding a Balance to the stables. Love All Mountain riding, feel overbiked for many of the climbs and trails that even 5" would be fine for.
    Playdeep - This is exactly why we replaced the One with the Balance. It's is similar in a lot of ways, however, the Balance is much more playful with it's short stays, climbs better and descends similarly.