Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    oh man I would cry. great thing about living in the cali bay area... still building and riding three days a week. that's a sweet rig though. and that seat is super comfy, but i couldn't use it until i got a revive dropper that would go all the way down to the frame... had trouble getting over the back of it on steeps. may your cabin fever lead to supreme stoke in the spring! you'll love the bike.
    It's not looking to be a very snowy winter, so I should be able to ride pretty soon - I hope! I'll get back to you on my seat situation. It's a carry-over from my old Range, and I didn't have trouble with it on there, so I guess I'll see. They are a great seat though, I also use one on my commuter track bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutinco View Post
    My dad couldn't wait to come up to see me to finish his bike. So he took it to a local shop and they put the rest together that we didn't get to yet. No shake down run yet since it is raining where he is, trails are closed. Hopefully this weekend when they are up here we can get out. He did get a parking lot test of it and is super stoked to get it on trail now.
    Tell your father it's twin brother Balance frame arrived here just in time for Christmas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Tell your father it's twin brother Balance frame arrived here just in time for Christmas!
    Ha Nice! I took my dads bike for a really quick parking lot spin. I know what my next full suss is going to be.... We hope to get it out today or tomorrow for a good shakedown run.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH
    Build in process 2017 Canfield Bro. Nimble 9

I'm with stupid
    tic toc. tic toc...... It is that time for me to sit and wait as time moves slowly while I wait for a 11-6 from push. I decided that my Balance was going to be my race bike for next year and figured a 11-6 could not hurt in the quest for going faster.

mtbr member
    My dad finally got a ride on his Balance. His shoulder was bugging him so he hasn't gotten to push the thing, but did get a shake down run in.
    His words: It just floats down hill, pedals great up hill. Cant wait till Moab!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-dadsbikec.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-dadsbiked.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-dadsbikea.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-dadsbikeb.jpg  

2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutinco View Post
    My dad finally got a ride on his Balance. His shoulder was bugging him so he hasn't gotten to push the thing, but did get a shake down run in.
    His words: It just floats down hill, pedals great up hill. Cant wait till Moab!
    Man that piggy back on the Woodie looks like it's so close to the down tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Which spring rate to choose for a 220 lb rider and a 200 ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpolism View Post
    Man that piggy back on the Woodie looks like it's so close to the down tube.
    That was my thought too, and is still a slight concern for me. I put my fat ass on it and bounced it and it didn't touch. I know I was close to bottoming it.
    I'm planning on still pulling the shock and just double checking the movement cause it still bothers me when I see it. From what I could tell the shock doesnt move much up or down, just in and out. I didn't get the chance to pull it when he had it here.
    2012 Yeti 575
    2013 Niner AIR 9
    2015 GG/DH

mtbr member
    Those with a Jade. What are you settings and riding style? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Those with a Jade. What are you settings and riding style? Thanks!
    I'm interested in this too, although a caveat being that the Balance is decent upgrade from my old bike, and it's also my first time running tubeless. I'm running a Jade and have so far been riding on Vancouver's North Shore. Tech and singletrack rides seems to ride well, but on wider flow trails and some traversing I'm finding it a little sluggish. Saying that, however, I am happy with the technical climbing I've been doing.

I stole settings from another user on Reddit who is close to my weight:

Bros for life! I have a Balance with the Jade, running: 8 clicks HSC 2 clicks LSC 22 clicks rebound

Sometimes I dial up the LSC to 5 depending on how smooth the terrain is.

I weigh 175 with all my gear on running a 450lb spring

Make sure that the IFP is pressurized to 180psi.
    I used this (I have a 400lb spring, recommended by Shaun at Canfield), and have not made a change except to take two clicks off of the rebound dampening to make it a little poppier off rollers. I might remove a touch more.

The guy above is saying that he's 175 geared up on a 450lb spring. With a 400lb spring, I am struggling to get a decent sag at the same weight, no matter the preload. In fact, I found that changing the preload pretty much made no difference to the sag. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    guys, dont know if this was already covered, but has anyone replaced the rear axle (pinch or QR) ? which thread works ? SRAM, DT-Swiss ?
    18 Banshee Rune
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Canfield uses the 1.75 thread pitch, same as Maxle. You need a 174mm x 1.75 for the Balance (180mm x 1.75 if you're squeezing a Boost rear hub in the frame).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Canfield uses the 1.75 thread pitch, same as Maxle. You need a 174mm x 1.75 for the Balance (180mm x 1.75 if you're squeezing a Boost rear hub in the frame).
    thanks man
    18 Banshee Rune
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    HI everybody,

guys it's too quiet on the forum, you should add a little more animation!
    does anyone have an idea what the Balance 2018 would look like? they did not put anything on their official website yet
    good kisses from Paris with the cold and the rain
    it's been two months since I got on my bike because of a fractured elbow I suffer from lack
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CUCHI View Post
    HI everybody,

does anyone have an idea what the Balance 2018 would look like? they did not put anything on their official website yet
    it's been two months since I got on my bike because of a fractured elbow I suffer from lack
    Cheers
    there is a dedicated thread for the 2018 bikes. you are not missing anything yet...
    18 Banshee Rune
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    thank you for informing me I almost missed all this tohubohu!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUCHI View Post
    HI everybody,

Cheers
    I asked Sean 3 days ago what was up, he said it will be released in the Summer. I hope it's a Carbon frame!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    hopefully they will, yes because they will be overwhelmed by all these big brands on the market and it will be a damage done to the spirit of this sport

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have 700 PNW miles on my Balance, no sounds coming from the pivots, but is it time to service?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    I have 700 PNW miles on my Balance, no sounds coming from the pivots, but is it time to service?
    my personal philosophy: never service quiet, functioning pivots or BBs. I've pulled them apart, only to put them together and have a new, completely unnecessary creak. Argh. That said, pretty simple to pull the linkage apart and give 'em a finger roll if you're worried about the bearings being shot.

But again, to me, "If it ain't creakin', don't go seekin'"
    Chicanery is a good word.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    my personal philosophy: never service quiet, functioning pivots or BBs. I've pulled them apart, only to put them together and have a new, completely unnecessary creak. Argh. That said, pretty simple to pull the linkage apart and give 'em a finger roll if you're worried about the bearings being shot.

But again, to me, "If it ain't creakin', don't go seekin'"
    THIS! Unless you're using a pressure washer, and forcing dirt past the bearing seals, there is NO WAY you should need to service them after 700 miles (even here in the wet Pacific NW). Also the less you wash your bike the better - believe it or not. I didn't wash my Balance once last year and it's the quietest bike out of all in my posse.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    THIS! Unless you're using a pressure washer, and forcing dirt past the bearing seals, there is NO WAY you should need to service them after 700 miles (even here in the wet Pacific NW). Also the less you wash your bike the better - believe it or not. I didn't wash my Balance once last year and it's the quietest bike out of all in my posse.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Best advice ever given on MTBR!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    My 2016 Balance had Bolu bearings that did 2300 PNW miles and I hose my bike off with reckless abandon when it is muddy. They never creaked, but the backend started feeling a bit more flexy than it used to so I replaced them all a month ago. Some of the bearings were actually still fine but a few were pretty rough.

I would let yours go at least another season if nothing feels wrong.

mtbr member

Looking for help on choosing a fork for my Balance

Currently I have a stock Yari and a Jade. I am looking for more performance out of the fork to match the Jade. I have been thinking about these three options:

1. Mod the Yari with the Push ACS 3 kit and Charger 2 damper
    2. Get a DVO Diamond
    3. Mod the Yari with an Avalanche cartridge and 2019 air spring

I really like the ideal of having coil at both ends. However, the Yari has been underwhelming. It has an odd topout that seems to throw the whole bike off. It feels like the bushings are shot but it is a brand new fork. I would have a better fork than a Lyrik for about the same cost. After the the Push kit was launched, my desire for an Avalanche cart has waned.

I wouldn't mind having matching suspension on both ends of my Balance. The DVO is pretty nice from what I hear. It seems to answer all the issues that RockShox has with their platform. A bonus would be that it is the lightest option of the three. All of choices are around $600 so it is negligible on that front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Currently I have a stock Yari and a Jade. I am looking for more performance out of the fork to match the Jade. I have been thinking about these three options:

1. Mod the Yari with the Push ACS 3 kit and Charger 2 damper
    2. Get a DVO Diamond
    3. Mod the Yari with an Avalanche cartridge and 2019 air spring

I really like the ideal of having coil at both ends. However, the Yari has been underwhelming. It has an odd topout that seems to throw the whole bike off. It feels like the bushings are shot but it is a brand new fork. I would have a better fork than a Lyrik for about the same cost. After the the Push kit was launched, my desire for an Avalanche cart has waned.

I wouldn't mind having matching suspension on both ends of my Balance. The DVO is pretty nice from what I hear. It seems to answer all the issues that RockShox has with their platform. A bonus would be that it is the lightest option of the three. All of choices are around $600 so it is negligible on that front.
    May be DVO will release a single crown coil fork soon ?.. meanwhile... the mrp ribbon coil works fantastic with the Jade...cheers
    18 Banshee Rune
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Who needs a 2018 bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luisgutierod View Post
    May be DVO will release a single crown coil fork soon ?.. meanwhile... the mrp ribbon coil works fantastic with the Jade...cheers
    Thanks Luis, I have a problem with the Ribbon, it is boost only. I am not trying to replace a hub also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks Luis, I have a problem with the Ribbon, it is boost only. I am not trying to replace a hub also.
    I have spacers/adapters on my non-boost front hub... no big issue for the front wheel man..
    18 Banshee Rune
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I had my rear wheel off for the first time since my build and noticed what looked like a bit of rubbing on the left chainstay just by the weld. Running Stans Flow mk3 with DHF WT 2.5s. Perhaps this is a bit wide and is rubbing when the tire is compressed?

Also, those of you with Jades, what's your weight and how heavy a spring are you running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    I had my rear wheel off for the first time since my build and noticed what looked like a bit of rubbing on the left chainstay just by the weld. Running Stans Flow mk3 with DHF WT 2.5s. Perhaps this is a bit wide and is rubbing when the tire is compressed?

Also, those of you with Jades, what's your weight and how heavy a spring are you running?
    I look at my 2.5 aggressor for potential rubbing. In regards to the Jade, I am 205-210 lbs running a 500 lbs spring. That rate was the Bros/Sean's recommendation and it is working well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I look at my 2.5 aggressor for potential rubbing. In regards to the Jade, I am 205-210 lbs running a 500 lbs spring. That rate was the Bros/Sean's recommendation and it is working well.
    Thanks for the response. I really thought it wouldn't rub considering the clearance! I threw a 2.5 Griffin on, so will see how that goes.

I guess I'm close to 190 geared up, and have been running a 400lb spring, just ordered a 500lb to test. Unfortunately my Jade is starting to make some very gross squishing sounds, I think there might be air in the rebound oil, so I'm gonna get it looked at.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I recently had an issue with tire rubbing on my 2.6 Specialized Slaughter. Mine was rubbing on the driveside chainstay.

I used a straight-edge and found that my wheel was off-center by about 1/4" to the drive-side, but the wheel was dished correctly. I used some string and found that the rear triangle was centered, so i'm not sure why this would be. I ended up just dishing the wheel by 1/4" to correct for it.

Worth noting that I have a boost rear wheel, so not sure if this is related to your issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Just to continue with my suspension issues, I'm struggling to find a good setup on my X-Fusion Metric HLR and am thinking of swapping to a 160mm DVO Diamond as a match for my Jade.

Does anyone run a DVO Diamond? How do you like it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looking for a large 2017 (would like to have a bottle mount available for some rides if possible). Any good places to watch besides Pinkbike? Current bike is falling apart so Iím not sure if I can wait for a 2018! Iím wondering if ďcoming out this summerĒ means more like announcing or available??

May The Force Be With You
    disregard. I'll need a small frame
    Last edited by shwinn8; 05-23-2018 at 07:26 PM.

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    lazarescu, I have Diamonds on my Balance and Riot and really like them a lot. They are setup as recommended by dvo and work great. The boost fork have more tire clearance as the 2.5 dhf is close to the crown on mine

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    disregard. I'll need a small frame
    I am selling a small frame, let me know if interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just put a rear boost wheel on the balance, no rotor adapter, nothing ! Just works , ha ! Hilarious, Im bullying all my friends with the new carbon wonder bikes !
    18 Banshee Rune
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I put a boost wheel on mine also. Works like a charm. The Balance is the most versatile bike out there. Running 2.8 tire in front and 2.6 back. Traction galore!

May The Force Be With You
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    I am selling a small frame, let me know if interested.
    I will indeed!

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    I will indeed!
    You already found me on PinkBike yesterday evening :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just put a rear boost wheel on the balance, no rotor adapter, nothing ! Just works , ha ! Hilarious, Im bullying all my friends with the new carbon wonder bikes !
    Same! it actually has a better chain line now haha. I get crazy chain slap with a 28t though

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Since some people asked me for the CC's Helm fork I am running, here is a one year short review:

I just serviced my fork with about 500 km on it (with 300 km total descend). At the mechanic, no problems were noticed, at the end of the service period, it was a little more harsh.

After servicing, the fork works as initially bought one year ago - plushness on small bumps, feeling safe on big hits (as far as my skills allow me to - jumps around 1m). As a comparison, the local trails (in Bulgaria) are a bit rocky and technical - more like rocky mountains in the States.

The fork is all good, however, I wouldn't second my thoughts for the CC's Double Barrel Air shock which needed a full re-servicing AND change of ALL the rubber sealings. I hope it is all good now as I really like the LSC and HSC settings and I cannot justify another shock right now.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Love my Balance

I built up this 2017 at the end of last season. I have been hucking it off everything I can find and riding it hard on DH type trail with no real issues. I did have some linkage noise after washes, but that seems to have vanished. I've run a vivid air and a fox float X2 so I can't comment on the Cane Creek. I was on a 2015 Nomad before this which definitely handled lighter, but I am used to the feel of this bike now and love it. Quality wise I'd say it is still above the big box brands, I've ridden most of them.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-fb2aa7ee-149d-4e9a-be01-a77a9d38e78d.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_5283.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-image1-1-.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_6158.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_6028.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-img_6123.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Full send! You have some epic riding there!

Out of curiosity, whatís your riding weight and how do you have the X2 setup?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SB666 View Post
    Full send! You have some epic riding there!

Out of curiosity, whatís your riding weight and how do you have the X2 setup?
    I weigh about 195 with gear. I need to check my air pressure but I'd guess 210. It's pretty active climbing, I don't have the climb switch. I used the stock X2 setup and backed off the high and low dampening a touch. I actually would like to go try out a fox coil.

Some of these shots are from Vancouver island and some from Kelowna. BC has some epic riding for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    I've run a vivid air and a fox float X2 so I can't comment on the Cane Creek.
    How was the vivid air on the balance? What tune did you run? THanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    How was the vivid air on the balance? What tune did you run? THanks for any input.
    Not the original commenter but I ran an MM vivid air for a few weeks while my Jade was being serviced. I had to run zero high and low compression dampening and quite a lot of rebound dampening to get it to feel in any way plush. I struggled to bottom out even as I dropped the air in the spring. Perhaps a different tune would be better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    Not the original commenter but I ran an MM vivid air for a few weeks while my Jade was being serviced. I had to run zero high and low compression dampening and quite a lot of rebound dampening to get it to feel in any way plush. I struggled to bottom out even as I dropped the air in the spring. Perhaps a different tune would be better.
    I am running an '16 OEM take off Monarch Plus RC3 ML tune and have to say it is all around poppier and livelier than the 2018 X2 I had on before. Sure the X2 was better for long heated rocky bike park descents, but I love having a real firm climb mode and usable mid-trail setting. I could never get the X2 to jump right.

mtbr member
    THank you both!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    1.5 clicks of slow speed compression, 2 clicks of high speed, 2 clicks of beginning rebound, 2 clicks of ending rebound.

mtbr member
    I meant the tune. Like. M/M. M/L.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My 2016 Raw Balance Size XL frame and components are up for sale. Check out my buy sell on Pinkbike.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/moshun/buysell/

mtbr member
    Had my balance out today and man did I have a blast on it. That is all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Had my balance out today and man did I have a blast on it. That is all

Took my Balance to China Peak and it did more than I could. Nearly fractured my hand or my 3rd run due to a wash out, but still ran 3 more times even though I was exhausted.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Could anybody help me make up my mind on going for shorter cranks on the Balance? Iím in need of a new ring, cassette, and BB so now would be the time to do it. Iíve always ridden 175s on everything, Iím 6í1Ē with about 34Ē inseam and I am currently running 175s on the Balance from my previous bike.

The advantage for pedal clearance is obvious, I scrape and catch my pedals some and have to watch my timing more but Iím managing. Iím running platform pedals and tend to mash when Iím trying to keep the pace up on rolling terrain. Does anyone think shorter helps any for control on jumps, manualing, technical terrain or hinders? It seems like longer might actually give more stability for handling since your legs are spread a touch more. I realize weíre talking a tiny change but Iím looking for opinions... 170, 165, or ride what I got?

mtbr member
    Hard to say as I'm not close to being as tall as you. I'm 5'6 in shoes riding a small frame and run 160mm cranks. All I can say is, I love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnales View Post
    Could anybody help me make up my mind on going for shorter cranks on the Balance? Iím in need of a new ring, cassette, and BB so now would be the time to do it. Iíve always ridden 175s on everything, Iím 6í1Ē with about 34Ē inseam and I am currently running 175s on the Balance from my previous bike.

The advantage for pedal clearance is obvious, I scrape and catch my pedals some and have to watch my timing more but Iím managing. Iím running platform pedals and tend to mash when Iím trying to keep the pace up on rolling terrain. Does anyone think shorter helps any for control on jumps, manualing, technical terrain or hinders? It seems like longer might actually give more stability for handling since your legs are spread a touch more. I realize weíre talking a tiny change but Iím looking for opinions... 170, 165, or ride what I got?
    I'm almost 6'1", have a 32 inch inseam and have ridden 165's on my large '16 Balance since I built it. I've never ridden a better bike in my life and have never noticed a lack of stability. When I hop on my cryptkeeper at the dirt jumps, it has 175's and I definitely notice a difference for the first few laps, but then it just turns into "the bike."

If you're looking for more clearance, I'd go for it. The combination of 165's and a set of thinner pedals like canfield crampons or deity bladerunners was a vast improvement where pedal strikes are concerned for me. Felt like I was spinning a little more on my first few climbs with the shorter cranks, but that feeling disappeared pretty quickly and I never noticed the change on the downhills. I'll stick with 165's now. Hope that helps. GL!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm 5'6" as well. I normally run 165mm on my Riot. But the BB is higher. I'd run 160mm on a Balance. I find the closer your feet are together the easier it is to manual and pump. I find that the bike handles better (easier to maneuver is more like it) going through a turn and when you drop your outside foot it's there faster. Drop your heal and it will make up the difference in crank length. You also can spin your self out of the hole faster after a turn. And standing while peddling is easier. No need to rock the bike.
    The only downside is gearing. If you use your biggest cog a lot you need to drop chainring sizes down 2 teeth per 5mm of crank length for the same effort. Or go up 4 teeth in the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the replies Iím tempted to go straight for the 165s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I find the closer your feet are together the easier it is to manual and pump. I find that the bike handles better (easier to maneuver is more like it) going through a turn and when you drop your outside foot it's there faster. Drop your heal and it will make up the difference in crank length. You also can spin your self out of the hole faster after a turn. And standing while peddling is easier.
    didnt think of it until he said it, but well put. agree totally.
    Last edited by dirtyBob; 08-09-2018 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnales View Post
    Thanks for the replies Iím tempted to go straight for the 165s.
    Just make sure you're going to have the right gearing. That the only downside IMHO Sunrace cassette is cheap for 11-50 I put 1000 miles on one. You're going to need to raise the seat 10mm to compensate and your seated reach will stretch about 5-10mm with the same stem unless you slide the seat forward. Which isnt an issue on the STA of the Balance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    hello guys, I'm looking for a cb balance frame but I can't find any.

if someone wants to sell a cb balance in size M, doesn't matter the color, please contact me here or email me to fromanm at gmail.

thank you very much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fromanm View Post

if someone wants to sell a cb balance in size M, doesn't matter the color, please contact me here or email me to fromanm at gmail.

thank you very much.
    Did you try Canfield? Webstore shows medium available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtylerdurden View Post
    Did you try Canfield? Webstore shows medium available.
    I bought one on january this year, the next day I got a refund and an email from Sean Gollub telling me that was an error on the webpage, and they don't really have the frame on stock, he apollogised for the mistake and told me I'll get a nice discount on the new 2018 frames on this summer. well, until a few days nothing happend, there is no new frames on the website, no news, nothing. So I emailed Sean again to ask when I'll be able to buy a frame, and the replyed "Sorry at this time we are sold out of balance frames.* We will have more frames in 2019." I don't understand, what happend with the 2018 cb balance frames?

so I don' t know what to think, I'm trying to buy a balance frame from a long time and I can't find any.

mtbr member
    Wow..... that is crazy.

mtbr member
    Interesting. it does confirm that they intend to produce bikes for the 2019 model year though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    Interesting. it does confirm that they intend to produce bikes for the 2019 model year though.

It confirms it the same way the first message confirmed the 2018 models for this year.

mtbr member
    I said "intend". No guarantees of course.
    It confirms it the same way the first message confirmed the 2018 models for this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

thank you very much.
    I actually have a 2016 Balance size M in raw. Sacrilege I know, but I'm willing to sell for the right offer.

I bought and built it in April of 2017 but I've been sick/injured so much that I've only ridden it 6 or 7 times since then. Has a Push 11-6 shock. I'd sell it with the headset, BB, shock, and MRP chainguide if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by lacanuck24 View Post
    I actually have a 2016 Balance size M in raw. Sacrilege I know, but I'm willing to sell for the right offer.

I bought and built it in April of 2017 but I've been sick/injured so much that I've only ridden it 6 or 7 times since then. Has a Push 11-6 shock. I'd sell it with the headset, BB, shock, and MRP chainguide if you're interested.
    Sweet!! I sent you a message.

mtbr member

Just had my balance out yesterday. **** I love this bike!!!! Road some very chunky rocky trail system and man this thing just plows threw it and climbs tech so good especially for such a long travel bike.

I'm with stupid
    Mine has been in frame only mode all summer sitting in a box, I just cannot bring myself to sell it because my current uber bike is still slower on the same trails. Crazy part is if you look at the Geo numbers they are almost exactly the same but the new bike feels so much different. I really want a carbon balance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just got back from Angel Fire. The Balance is so much fun. Best bike for 90% of the trails there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

chainstay diameter

Hey guys i'm currently up at work and I'm hoping anyone here who has time and a small enough tape measure can get me a Chainstay Diameter. I'm looking to get some lizard skins instead of mastic (easier to keep clean and replacement is quick) they make 3 sizes ranging from 70-100mm, 100-125mm, 125-140mm. Thanks for your time and Happy Trails

I'm with stupid
    Well I could not take it anymore. I built mine back up this evening. First ride back in action tomorrow. So if this thing hung the moon and the stars like I remember it did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Well I could not take it anymore. I built mine back up this evening. First ride back in action tomorrow. So if this thing hung the moon and the stars like I remember it did.
    keep us updated!
    let get the hype back
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Mine has been in frame only mode all summer sitting in a box, I just cannot bring myself to sell it because my current uber bike is still slower on the same trails. Crazy part is if you look at the Geo numbers they are almost exactly the same but the new bike feels so much different. I really want a carbon balance.
    Hey man I have a Balance and a GG Smash. Am considering the Knolly Fugitive as a potential replacement for both bikes. I saw you have a CF and a Knolly. What is your take on their suspension design? I haven't ridden one on a test ride, just in parking lots. If CF comes out with a new ride I'd be all over it but doesn't appear that that's happening anytime soon..or ever!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Which bike so you Like better, GG or Balance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Both great bikes! The Smash is a beast and fits me perfectly. The Canfield is so plush. It's hard to pick one. I'd say it's a tie only to he broken by personal riding style and terrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Knollyss

Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    Hey man I have a Balance and a GG Smash. Am considering the Knolly Fugitive as a potential replacement for both bikes. I saw you have a CF and a Knolly. What is your take on their suspension design? I haven't ridden one on a test ride, just in parking lots. If CF comes out with a new ride I'd be all over it but doesn't appear that that's happening anytime soon..or ever!
    PattD,

Knollys ride very very different than CBF. The dual link version of CBF system is very very unique in the way the antisquat works throughout the travel, and the same goes for the LR curve, very flat, mildly progression. Im sure you are aware of the perks of 4by4 system Knolly uses. In laymen terms, the Knollys ride fantastic when pointed DH, as the suspension works more independent of the force on the pedals (there is very low Pedal kickback), fantastic tech climber but very inefficient climber if you don lock out the suspension. I only rode a Warden for couple years, and when sprinting on a flattish section of a trail, you really notice the los pedal efficiency, be aware of that.
    CBF suspension on the balance, very sorcery, plush, progressive enough and enough efficiency...sorry I have not ridden the Fugitive, but the 4x4 system is very characteristic regardless of the bike...cheers
    18 Banshee Rune
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    PattD,

Knollys ride very very different than CBF. The dual link version of CBF system is very very unique in the way the antisquat works throughout the travel, and the same goes for the LR curve, very flat, mildly progression. Im sure you are aware of the perks of 4by4 system Knolly uses. In laymen terms, the Knollys ride fantastic when pointed DH, as the suspension works more independent of the force on the pedals (there is very low Pedal kickback), fantastic tech climber but very inefficient climber if you don lock out the suspension. I only rode a Warden for couple years, and when sprinting on a flattish section of a trail, you really notice the los pedal efficiency, be aware of that.
    CBF suspension on the balance, very sorcery, plush, progressive enough and enough efficiency...sorry I have not ridden the Fugitive, but the 4x4 system is very characteristic regardless of the bike...cheers
    Ill second what PattD said. I have a lot of time on a freinds warden and its got great traction pointed down. Its hit or miss which is a better tech climber between my Riot and his Waden the Warden sinks back throwing your weight back more, or the Riots Antisquat can hang up...but not like other bikes and i never noticed it until I rode a Warden. The Switchblade and HTLT hang up a lot by conparison.

The warden holds speed better than my Riot in loose turns but the Canfield bikes can be pedaled out of the hole after a turn much better.

Ive considered a Smash since i can get under forked on a Riot and 140mm is the most you should put on it. If the Brothers update the Riot early 2019 ill stick with them though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thx man! Yeah that was a concern I had about the Knolly. I'm bummed as I'd love a new Riot with longer travel fork but I'm assuming nothing is coming from the bros anytime soon. I love both my Balance and my Smash....so looks like I might be sticking with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If CF comes out with a new ride I'd be all over it but doesn't appear that that's happening anytime soon..or ever![/QUOTE]

I'm hopeful that Canfield Bros are releasing the new bike soon. Pinkbike has Frida RÝnning in a few of their spotlight articles riding the new prototype. There's a video on the latest article shredding on a Balance. They gave some kudos to Canfield.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Swapped my 170mm Metric for a 160mm Diamond to match the Jade. Amazing fork, if you're on the fence, jump over!

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-ctuj5nh.jpg

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789