Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance - Page 10- Mtbr.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    May The Force Be With You
    Small Frame
    - DVO Diamond (green)
    - Cane Creek Headset
    - Shimano Hollowtech II BB
    - RaceFace Cinch Narrow Wide 34T (green)
    - RaceFace Ride cranks
    - RaceFace SixC Ibeam seat post
    - RaceFace Atlas Ibeam saddle
    - RaceFace Atlas 35 Handle Bar (green)
    - RaceFace Atlas 35 Stem 40mm
    - Shimano XT HG95 SIL-TEC 10 Speed Chain
    - Shimano Deore HG-50 10S Cassette - 11-36t
    - Shimano Zee M640 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Derailleur
    - Shimano Zee M640 10 Speed Rear Shifter
    - Shimano Saint M820 brake Front
    - Shimano XT M8020 brake Rear
    - Mavic Crossmax 27.5" Wheelset
    - Maxxis Minions , tubeless

- pedals, Undecided clipless SPD
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shwinn8; 1 Week Ago at 09:27 PM.

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Just as note for anyone interested, I cut down my seat tube by about 18 mm (depending on your welds the most I think is feasible is 20) but doing this allowed me to use a 175mm dropper instead of a 150, I sized up when I bought my balance and now itís right in line with contemporary geometry. Before I had the 150 mm extended a little bit but now I run the 175 slammed and get the same end point seat height, but an additional inch of drop, canít wait to try it out on the trails... may void warranty but I donít even know if the brothers are putting out anything at the moment, still waiting to see what they have in store....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChvleSS956c View Post
    Just as note for anyone interested, I cut down my seat tube by about 18 mm (depending on your welds the most I think is feasible is 20) but doing this allowed me to use a 175mm dropper instead of a 150, I sized up when I bought my balance and now itís right in line with contemporary geometry. Before I had the 150 mm extended a little bit but now I run the 175 slammed and get the same end point seat height, but an additional inch of drop, canít wait to try it out on the trails... may void warranty but I donít even know if the brothers are putting out anything at the moment, still waiting to see what they have in store....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Can you post some pics? I have a medium, but I am thinking about doing this to a large.

mtbr member
    Yeah Iíll post some tomorrow after Iím home from work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member

Sounds good. I have to post up my Balance as well because I finished the second iteration with the exception of routing new cable and hoses. The only things I have left are new brakes and to replace wear parts with better ones as needed for its third life.

Professional Noob
    Anyone know if I can purchase just the suspension links? I'd like to swap mine for the green ones.
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    Anyone know if I can purchase just the suspension links? I'd like to swap mine for the green ones.
    I've asked in the past about my Jedi links. I was directed to have them painted

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

2 Straight 8's.. 1 Homegrown........ this Balance build has turned into the single most effing frustrating build of the 4.

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member

Cut seat tube

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-fd63f985-dd57-4bad-beaf-a911f9cff0d8.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-731c833a-3c75-4a3d-8326-c773f90561ad.jpg

This is the new 175mm dropper post after I cut the seat tube

messy kitchen... But the build is coming along! Waiting for 3 items..replacement cranks, 142 hub adapters and need a shifter cable housing to complete the Job! Hopefully next weekend it'll be ready to help get rid of Bobby (my fat belly)! I did t want to do too many green accents, just the Fork, Bars and chainring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-2019-05-11-15-57-34.jpg  

Last edited by shwinn8; 1 Week Ago at 05:44 AM.

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    A very nice assortment of green and silver metal. The green handlebar is very trendy
    the bike will look great and she well deserves its emblem the notched skull
    it's the best slimming diet I know!

rear wheel issue resolved
    Last edited by shwinn8; 6 Days Ago at 05:11 AM.

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    is the rear end Boosted on this? with the wheel all the way to the drive side there is a 6mm gap with the Axle screwed in Flush
    Nope. Tighten the axle until the dropouts are squeezing the hub. Is the axle threaded all the way and then a little bit hrough the DS dropout? The frame can take a boost hub, however.

rear wheel issue resolved
    Last edited by shwinn8; 6 Days Ago at 05:12 AM.

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    when I do that the small cog looks as it does in the picture , it presses up against the frame and the rotor pushed up against the caliper adapter and bends the rotor
    I had the same issue on my Riot, it was almost like the hanger was too deep. I ended up having to pick up some shims at my LBS to put in between the hub and the hanger to make it fit. But that makes taking the wheel off a PITA because you have to squeeze them back in and its awkward.

Mine was so bad that the chain rubbed on the frame.. couldn't use the 10t until I threw the shims in. Long run solution that would work is if your hubs have a boost end cap option you could just throw the longer cap on the right side and it would likely address the spacing issue. I meant to do this but got lazy..

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    I had the same issue on my Riot, it was almost like the hanger was too deep. I ended up having to pick up some shims at my LBS to put in between the hub and the hanger to make it fit. But that makes taking the wheel off a PITA because you have to squeeze them back in and its awkward.

Mine was so bad that the chain rubbed on the frame.. couldn't use the 10t until I threw the shims in. Long run solution that would work is if your hubs have a boost end cap option you could just throw the longer cap on the right side and it would likely address the spacing issue. I meant to do this but got lazy..
    I'd have to shim the brake side also if I go that route

the measurement between the inside dropouts is 5 & 11/16ths of an inch
    Last edited by shwinn8; 1 Week Ago at 02:59 PM.

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

good news. I talked with Mavic, sent them pictures and serial number of the wheel. in a nutshell, they are sending me the correct wheel spacers that should have come with the wheel which more than likely came off with the, "protective shipping caps" were removed.

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    good news. I talked with Mavic, sent them pictures and serial number of the wheel. in a nutshell, they are sending me the correct wheel spacers that should have come with the wheel which more than likely came off with the, "protective shipping caps" were removed.
    Funny timing, I finally got less-lazy and emailed Profile Racing, they're sending me an end cap that they think should correct as well. Good week for all wheel spacing related issues on here lol

oh yeah!!! only things I'm waiting on are a green cable end cap and green cable housing end caps! .. I'm fairly certain my scale is right..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-kimg2541.jpg  

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Professional Noob
    Iím having a major crisis. Do I put a DVO Topaz on and drop an entire pound, or put a Jade on and relish in that unbeatable coil feel?

mtbr member
    Iím having a major crisis. Do I put a DVO Topaz on and drop an entire pound, or put a Jade on and relish in that unbeatable coil feel?
    I am running a Jade. It feels unending and supportive. I swapped to an SL spring and I lost 305g. Total shock weight is ~775g now. My bike isn't light at 32.98lbs, but it pedals lighter than what it started at when it was 34.69lbs. My bike could lose another pound without a shock swap. I do want to try an air shock to feel the difference between the two in performance characteristics but not weight.

mtbr member

It lioks like you have a large, correct? If so can you measure the length of the center of the bb to the seattube at 1.5-2" above the downtube, please?

Professional Noob
    Mine is 34lb with the Cane Creek DBCoil. Iíll have to weigh the shock and see if a Jade will get close.

Professional Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I am running a Jade. It feels unending and supportive. I swapped to an SL spring and I lost 305g. Total shock weight is ~775g now. My bike isn't light at 32.98lbs, but it pedals lighter than what it started at when it was 34.69lbs. My bike could lose another pound without a shock swap. I do want to try an air shock to feel the difference between the two in performance characteristics but not weight.
    Which SL spring are you using?

mtbr member
    This bike practically begs for a coil. I have coil front and rear on mine and it weighs 34.5 lbs. I love that plush coil feel and wouldn't change a thing.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-canfield-balance.jpg

Professional Noob
    Think a Topaz with needle bearing bushings would be a close competition to a coil? My inner weight weenie just wonít go away.

mtbr member

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance

It lioks like you have a large, correct? If so can you measure the length of the center of the bb to the seattube at 1.5-2" above the downtube, please?
    I canít right now but by math I reduced the normal 470mm (18.5Ē) seat tube to a 452mm seat tube (17.8Ē). Since I was originally running my 150 lev integra raised about 6mm, I was able to install the 175mm lev integra slammed and have the same overall seat height, with 1inch more drop. If you use a dropper with a lower stack height, like one-ups (33mm vs lev integra 50) you could probably get away with 190mm of drop. But then the issue maybe where the cable entrance is, since the total insertion may be too much.

mtbr member
    Think a Topaz with needle bearing bushings would be a close competition to a coil? My inner weight weenie just wonít go away.
    Nope, well maybe. I am not sure because I have never ridden an air shock. Since you already have the DBCoil, why are you wanting a Jade? It might be best to get a Topaz just to have two different shocks. Below is my Balance with no crazy light parts on it except the Renthal bar.

I am using a DVO SL spring.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-_20190517_195230.jpg

I guess the build is:
    '16 medium
    Jade w/500lb SL spring
    Yari RC2 160mm w/Debonair spring
    Oozy 345s w/Kings
    XT 11 spd w/Sunrace 11-46
    Raceface Aeffect 165s & 32t chainring
    SLX brakes w/180s (next upgrade-Polished Curas 4 frt, 2 rr)
    Minion DHR II & Rekon 2.4s 3C
    OneUp 170mm dropper w/leather Silverado
    Renthal stealth farbar-30mm rise w/Disisdaboss grips & 50mm Answer stem
    Stamp 1 large pedals w/a handful of extended pins

And it's just under 33lbs

Sorry for the non-trailside pic, I don't stop to take pics. I am usually just trying to breathe when I slow down.

Professional Noob
    Nope, well maybe. I am not sure because I have never ridden an air shock. Since you already have the DBCoil, why are you wanting a Jade? It might be best to get a Topaz just to have two different shocks. Below is my Balance with no crazy light parts on it except the Renthal bar.

I am using a DVO SL spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20190517_195230.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	1251772

I guess the build is:
    '16 medium
    Jade w/500lb SL spring
    Yari RC2 160mm w/Debonair spring
    Oozy 345s w/Kings
    XT 11 spd w/Sunrace 11-46
    Raceface Aeffect 165s & 32t chainring
    SLX brakes w/180s (next upgrade-Polished Curas 4 frt, 2 rr)
    Minion DHR II & Rekon 2.4s 3C
    OneUp 170mm dropper w/leather Silverado
    Renthal stealth farbar-30mm rise w/Disisdaboss grips & 50mm Answer stem
    Stamp 1 large pedals w/a handful of extended pins

And it's just under 33lbs

Sorry for the non-trailside pic, I don't stop to take pics. I am usually just trying to breathe when I slow down.
    Iím having a real hard time finding the right spring for the DBCoil, and I want a DVO shock to color match anyway.

Switching to a Topaz would drop an entire pound off my bike and is infinitely adjustable.

Anyone know the shock hardware size on this thing?

mtbr member
    I've been riding this bike with a coil shock and AVY cartridge fork for 3 years now and wouldn't change a thing. It's heavy compared to all the wonder bikes that have come out since but I have no desire to change for the sake of something new. At least until Canfield comes out with something new
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20180914_181317_resized.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20181216_112937_resized_1.jpgCanfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20181216_113014_resized_1.jpg

Professional Noob
    So if I did go with a Jade, will the CBF make up for the lack of climb switch?

mtbr member
    I only rode hardtails, namely over-forked Honzos, before my Balance. So I appreciate a firm rear end while climbing. I climb mostly standing just due to style even on my Balance. CBF is high-level wizardry. It makes me think a climb switch would inhibit its climbing prowess.

Finally!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-kimg2551.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-kimg2545.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-kimg2547.jpg  

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-kimg2546.jpg  

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    So if I did go with a Jade, will the CBF make up for the lack of climb switch?
    its active but good support on smooth uphills.. if you have a big climb on fireroad you can crank up the LSC... Ive used it on the Balance and it doesnt need a climb switch
    18 Intense Tracer NM
    16 Canfield Balance
    15 Banshee Darkside

mtbr member
    @acfsportsfan, can you post up some closeups (head-onish, and with the bars cranked both ways) on your heatshrinked cables? That's on my list to do and I am trying to figure out how mate the front brake line and dropper cable.

mtbr member
    @acfsportsfan, can you post up some closeups (head-onish, and with the bars cranked both ways) on your heatshrinked cables? That's on my list to do and I am trying to figure out how mate the front brake line and dropper cable.
    Here ya go.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20190521_181444_resized_1.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20190521_181430_resized_1.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20190521_181412_resized_1.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20190521_181335_resized_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Here ya go.
    Thanks! Definitely going to do that. That Balance is beautiful.

btw, is that an Ikon on the rear?

mtbr member
    Yes, good eye. It's only temporary though. I put it on when I went to Moab last month, when the snow melts in Downieville the Minion goes back on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Yes, good eye. It's only temporary though. I put it on when I went to Moab last month, when the snow melts in Downieville the Minion goes back on.
    Haha, an XC tire in a Balance?! ...it's not like I have a Rekon on the rear on mine and am considering a Forekaster.

I am enjoying the easier pedaling from the Rekon. Of course it doesn't hook up like an Aggressor or DHR II, but it's great in spring conditions when the trails have some moisture to them. It is also predictable when it breaks traction letting my DHR II to a better job up front. Once the trails dry out and get blown out, I'll move back to an Aggressor with the big DHR II up front.

mtbr member

I am enjoying the easier pedaling from the Rekon.
    I find the Icon to be a very good rolling tire and has decent braking. It's now my regular tire set up for my Riot (DHF/Icon) I brought both my Canfields to Moab and wanted to have the same tire set up for when I switched bikes. It was a great combo for all the rock riding.
    Here's a close-up of the same heat shrink cable wrap on my Riot.

Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20190522_081825.jpg
    Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-20190522_082029_resized_1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance-resized_img_20190408_121357001.jpg  

Professional Noob
    I talked to Ronnie at DVO and he recommended a Topaz for my Balance, and they're tuning it with a lighter compression configuration before shipping it out. Hopefully it'll arrive middle of next week and I can finally ride this thing.

It'll be at least as good as the Fox DYAD RT2 I'm used to, I'm sure of it.
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910