Canfield Bros Balance?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Canfield Bros Balance?

I have an ongoing question in the DH/FR forum about a mid-travel FR frame. mudpuppy suggested the Balance. I love the geometry and how it looks but in the current version, I think it would be too heavy. I see on the website there is an all alum version coming out soon. Anyone know what the weight will be? I'm assuming because the front triangle will no longer be 4130, the alum version will need to be beefed up some. I guess I'm looking for any info on the newer version....when? how heavy? price? still have a coil DHX 5.0?

Thanks!

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Same price, a bit lite, DHX 5.0 optional.

Canfield Bikes
    The Balance will be out in less than a month. It will be around 9 lbs, not sure untill we see a production frame complete. The price is the same, $1799 with a Fox DHX 5.0 but we can get you most any rear shock you want. I think a batch of DHX air shocks need to get ordered. It's going to look amost identical to the steel version except for slightly bigger tubes, wall thickness, etc.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by angus242
    .....I think it would be too heavy......
    i rode one at bootleg a couple of months ago. as i pedaled it up the hill, i didn't think it was heavy at all (maybe compared to an XC bike, but my SS DJ bike weighs 40lbs) climbed pretty good and it was even decked with a 66......

Transition Blindside v5
    Chris from Canfield emailed me back today, saying that...

"The aluminum Balance frame will be here this week."

By the way, without getting any patent lawyers too excited here (please!), does this design essentially provides the similar benefits as VPP or DW linkage? (aka. "no bob" & "no brake squat") Any other pro's/con's?

https://www.canfieldbrothers.com/Balance%20Page.html

--- edit ---
    More info on all-alum Balance frame, from Chris Canfield...

All production is in Taiwan.
    Price is the same 1799.00
    It does have a ISCG mount
    The shock is a 2" x 7.875.
    Headtube is a 1 1/8" x 115mm
    seatpost is a 27.2
    front D is a mid clamp, top pull
    bb is 73 for a 118mm
    Cheers,
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 07-13-2006 at 11:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Balance weight

I just built up my balance with the steel front triangle at 38 lbs.

Running dhx5 coil
    fox van36rc2
    saint crank with 2 ring/bash
    Hugi FR hub on sun single track rims and slimed tubes in DH tires
    Thompson seatpost and WTB saddle
    titec El Norte stem with FSA fr270 bars
    Magura Julie FR brakes with 190 rear and 210 front
    Odi Rogue lockon grips

It is an impressive pedaler. I have the propedal pretty much off and it scoots. 38 lbs isn't exactly light but my build could be a lot lighter. XT cranks are tough enough and would drop another pound, Fox 36 Talas would drop close to another pound. The ride is amazing. The way the rear end handles bumps is hard to explain. You know it hits something but with the rearward path, you don't feel the bike slow. There is no momentum or balance shift of your weight going forward when the rear hits something. You just flow through it. So smooth and so fast, even done some 10+ foot drops on it and would not hesitate to go bigger on this. My DH bike is going to get dusty now.

Eating Hot Pockets
    how tall are you?
    what size did you get?

Canfield Bikes
    pictures? please...

FYI - Aluminum Balance frames are in!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am 6'2", about 185 lbs with gear and got the large. If I was looking to do more XC type of riding with this I would have probably gone with XL but that's not where my fun is.

working on pics, need to scam a camera.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    OK, got a couple of pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Canfield Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by angus242
    I see on the website there is an all alum version coming out soon. Anyone know what the weight will be? I'm assuming because the front triangle will no longer be 4130, the alum version will need to be beefed up some. I guess I'm looking for any info on the newer version....when? how heavy? price? still have a coil DHX 5.0?

Thanks!
    The new all aluminum Balance frame and DHX 5.0 weigh in at 10.25 lbs.
    The cromo Balance with the same shock is 11.5 lbs.
    You can get a DHX 5.0 air for an additional $50. We are waiting on Roco's and other Fox air shocks to be back in stock from the manufacturers.
    Both the aluminum and the cromo version are in stock and available now. The Balance frame and 5.0 coil shock go for $1799, either version.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Aenena, the bike looks .pimp out!
    keep us posted, let's us know how much you love it.............

East Coast Style
    Cant wait to order one of these up. probly the cromo with the dhx air, cuz i plan on putting the totem on it, which might be a lil riskier in terms of the headtube. mmm its gonna be such a nasty bike. wish it came with a 1.5 HT tho, that'd be the best
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I would do some research on head tube angles with the totem. I am running 66 degrees with the fox van 36rc2. I'm not sure about axle to crown height on those but with an extra 20mm of travel that may make things more slack than you are wanting. There is also a risk of voiding the warranty if the fork is too long. Have you heard about their Lucky coming out soon? Its 7 or 8 inch with the same suspension design. 1.5 head tube also so would work great with the totem.

Followup on my ride. pictures are above and its now got probably close to 1k miles on it. I am now a Canfield whore. I can't say enough good about the bike. You'd think I had paid endorsements the way I rant on about them (hint hint)
    The suspension is super supple and ramps up just so perfectly to prevent bottom out. I take that bike everywhere and I don't think I will every take its performance for granted. It still brings a smile to my face and manages to impress me even after all those miles.
    One thing to note that bothers some more than me so is worth mentioning, the paint is holding up super well. Resisting chipping and scratching. There is pedal feedback with this design which is part of why there is no bob when climbing. Your pedal strokes pull the rear wheel forward and down. Locks up with the ground and gives incredible traction but will pull at the pedal going over large water bars and such. A tradeoff I think is very worth it.
    Bike is the stiffest I've felt laterally ever!! You cannot flex this frame and you'll notice the precision and cornering right away. Stiff, stiff, stiff.

East Coast Style
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    I would do some research on head tube angles with the totem. I am running 66 degrees with the fox van 36rc2. I'm not sure about axle to crown height on those but with an extra 20mm of travel that may make things more slack than you are wanting. There is also a risk of voiding the warranty if the fork is too long. Have you heard about their Lucky coming out soon? Its 7 or 8 inch with the same suspension design. 1.5 head tube also so would work great with the totem.

Followup on my ride. pictures are above and its now got probably close to 1k miles on it. I am now a Canfield whore. I can't say enough good about the bike. You'd think I had paid endorsements the way I rant on about them (hint hint)
    The suspension is super supple and ramps up just so perfectly to prevent bottom out. I take that bike everywhere and I don't think I will every take its performance for granted. It still brings a smile to my face and manages to impress me even after all those miles.
    One thing to note that bothers some more than me so is worth mentioning, the paint is holding up super well. Resisting chipping and scratching. There is pedal feedback with this design which is part of why there is no bob when climbing. Your pedal strokes pull the rear wheel forward and down. Locks up with the ground and gives incredible traction but will pull at the pedal going over large water bars and such. A tradeoff I think is very worth it.
    Bike is the stiffest I've felt laterally ever!! You cannot flex this frame and you'll notice the precision and cornering right away. Stiff, stiff, stiff.
    I talked with the guys over at canfield, they said:
    "that sounds like a killer setup for the balance.
    I run mine with a 66 RC2X and it feels great but I would love to be
    able to adjust the travel down to 4.
    A 5-7" fork would be sweet.
    Cheers"
    heh, so yea there ya have it
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    drooooooooool!

truth seeker
    Will the Balance be available in an anodized version?

Can the frame be ordered with a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock?

East Coast Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    Will the Balance be available in an anodized version?

Can the frame be ordered with a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock?
    there was a thread last week in the dh/fr section that i believe they stated they were doing an anodized version. now htat im looking at it didnt u see their reply? cuz u did ask em haha. here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...81828#poststop
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

truth seeker
    Lance Canfield said that a batch of Lucky frames were being anodized. But he didn't say anything about the Balance.

Cane Creek is picky about the frames they will build a shock for (they won't build the Double Barrel for the Santa Cruz Nomad, for example), so I was wondering if Lance or Chris had talked to anyone at Cane Creek about offering the Double Barrel as a shock option.

East Coast Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile
    Lance Canfield said that a batch of Lucky frames were being anodized. But he didn't say anything about the Balance.

Cane Creek is picky about the frames they will build a shock for (they won't build the Double Barrel for the Santa Cruz Nomad, for example), so I was wondering if Lance or Chris had talked to anyone at Cane Creek about offering the Double Barrel as a shock option.
    wow, i need to read with better detail. sorry man, didnt mean to get all up in your face ora nything haha
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema

I remember reading somewhere that the alum version has a 1 degree steeper ht angle...

Thanks for the review, I might pick up one of these before spring... What travel position are you using?

Canfield Bikes
    Thats right, the aluminum version has a 1 degree steeper head angle.

And we have sent specs to Cane Creek but it should will work fine. It's a 3-1 leverage (6" mode) which is a standard compression ratio limit.

East Coast Style
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    Thats right, the aluminum version has a 1 degree steeper head angle.

And we have sent specs to Cane Creek but it should will work fine. It's a 3-1 leverage (6" mode) which is a standard compression ratio limit.

is the balance coming in that "xtr" style color you were talking about for hte lucky?
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

mtbr member
    Sounds like a nice bike, question though about the 3:1 leverage. The RFX has had this leverage ratio and larger riders have found that they cant run air shocks, plus a real heavy spring is needed for the coil shocks. Have you found a way around these issues on the Balance?

Canfield Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Sounds like a nice bike, question though about the 3:1 leverage. The RFX has had this leverage ratio and larger riders have found that they cant run air shocks, plus a real heavy spring is needed for the coil shocks. Have you found a way around these issues on the Balance?
    acdcfan1283 - the Balance still has the same powder coat color options, Flat Black, White, Blue and Grey like aenema has. The Lucky will be XTR grey anodized or gloss Black front and rear frame with link colors being White, Red, Light Blue or standard Canfield Blue.

3:1 leverage has been the standard recomended leverage for a long time. It is a good level of damping for the average rider but like you said, it becomes somewhat unreliable for very heavy riders. On the other side, the really light riders have issues with there being too much damping effect and finding a light enough spring. If you drop to the 122mm setting the leverage drops to 2.4-1. Plenty low for the heaviest of riders. We feel it is a good balance of leverage for most all riders, otherwise we would need to build a low leverage frame for heavy riders and a high leverage for light riders. We just don't sell enough to justify that. Your options for low leverage frames from Canfield are the Balance in 122mm setting or the Lucky in 180mm travel setting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

unasked question answered.

I was wondering how you came to decide on the leverage ratio. The big buzz seems to be all about going to the lowest possible ratios and I wondered what your take was. I long ago learned to not get wrapped up in the marketing that is so prevalent in the biking industry but thanks for your two cents.

Canfield Bikes
    Yea, low leverage is all the hype right now but unless your over 200 lbs you shouldn't need it. Def good for the hefty types though.

Members who have read this thread: 0