• 01-17-2016
    andrextr
    Canfield Balance 2016 - Linkage analysis.
    Hello,

I don't know if it is ok to share this here, but I did an analysis to linkage & kinematics of new Balance 2016 based on a simulation model. Seems to be a nice bike :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TIXSZDFvbk

Bye from Portugal :)
  • 01-17-2016
    Colin+M
    Awesome video! Not surprisingly, the Balance is extremely well executed.

Any chance of doing a similar video for the Canfield Riot ;)
  • 01-17-2016
    titusquasi
    Wow! This is the first time I've understood some of these concepts. Well done is an understatement. This should be a sticky in the suspension forum. Thanks very much. I also would love to see this done on a Riot!
  • 01-17-2016
    slider_phil
    Well done! Put me on the list of those who'd love to see an analysis on the Riot 👍

I'm assuming similar but maybe a bit more progressive for the lower travel
  • 01-18-2016
    andrextr
    Hello! Thank you! In the next days I will make more linkage analysis and more suspension "lessons" episodes. Stay tuned!

Regarding Riot 2015, you can find its linkage analysis here. I would say that it's behavior is very similar to Balance 2016. The anti-squat values are around 100%, and remain stable at that values along the travel. Anti-rise around 80%. The leverage ratio decreases from 2.65 to 2.3 (+0.3 variation) and therefore it's almost a linear bike (it's slightly progressive, but so slightly that we can consider a linear bike).

I would say that these values are a good match for a 140mm travel bike.

:thumbsup:
  • 01-18-2016
    trailynx
    very interesting! thanks for the time making the video and sharing with us! :)
    i was recently playing with the linkage software a bit myself, but i'm only understanding the basics a bit, and I didn't totally know what some of the things mean for my ride - so it was a very good lessons seeing that video as well! thanks again! :-)
  • 01-18-2016
    cSquared
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andrextr View Post
    Hello,

I don't know if it is ok to share this here, but I did an analysis to linkage & kinematics of new Balance 2016 based on a simulation model. Seems to be a nice bike :)

Cool video.
    But we run sag at 30-33%
  • 01-19-2016
    andrextr
    Hi,

The SAG differences will slightly affect the Anti-Squat (%).

In the anti-squat graph you have the % values along the travel, so for 33% Rear SAG look for the 54mm travel (in X axis). I just picked the values for the typical 25% SAG since is a quite standard value for Enduro/AM applications. The anti-squat were also simulated for a 25% SAG in front suspension. Higher SAG (%) in front also change the AS% a little bit. Overall, we are talking about 5% differences when comparing AS% with 25% or 33% SAG (both R/F).

BTW, Anti-squat values are also affected by the center of mass. The AS% simulation uses a standard center of mass, which can be different from rider to rider. So if you are a tall rider you will have like 10% less Anti-squat (%) comparing to a short rider.

If you want to learn more about AS% stay tuned to my Youtube channel. Probably this week I will make a video about it :)
  • 01-19-2016
    BTTR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by andrextr View Post
    Hello,

Nice! :thumbsup:

Now please make a similar analysis to the 2014 Balance linkage & kinematics, bish!
  • 01-19-2016
    Hermes475
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Nice! :thumbsup:

Now please make a similar analysis to the 2014 Balance linkage & kinematics, bish!

He did, or at least I think the person behind the video is the same as the person behind this website. Most common bikes have their suspension kinematics analyzed on this website. Canfield Balance 27.5" 2014 - Linkage Design
  • 01-19-2016
    BTTR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes475 View Post
    He did, or at least I think the person behind the video is the same as the person behind this website. Most common bikes have their suspension kinematics analyzed on this website. Canfield Balance 27.5" 2014 - Linkage Design

I had already seen that 2014 Balance analysis, but they are different persons and type of analysis.
    The blog is made by Antonio Osuna from Spain, while the vid is from André from Portugal.
  • 01-20-2016
    andrextr
    That's correct.

I'm from Portugal and started to do some suspension "lessons" videos last month as a hobby. And now I did a couple of bike analysis in vid with my opinions :) Bye.