Canfield 2010 Changes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Canfield 2010 Changes

With Ibike around the corner, curious as to whether or not there will be any changes to the current frames, or if Canfield's second hardtail might be a production version of Mitch's 4X bike. Any insight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No insight. But I would entertain a 6-7" bike with the One plateform, sloping top tube and ISCG tabs already faced to receive a HS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Their webiste has a shorter shock on the one to reduce travel to 6.5/7.5, and I'm curious about the geometry changes to go along with it.

I was curious about the Jedi going 1.5 too.

a tight kick sound
    Call em! Great to talk with
    I already got my next bike picked out!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Last time I talked to Chris he said they are focusing on improving the One (Sauce and Can-Can will probably go by-by). One will get a tapered headtube, use the 8.5x2.5 shock, fix the frame/fork interference, make the headtube for beefy for 180mm forks, have new linkage so you can run triple ring cranks. But give them a call, Chris is great to talk to.

Chris

mtbr member
    No jedi with a 1.5 this year- still the light setup of the 1.125. buy our stem if you want your bars lower- c

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Stem (and pedals for that matter) looks unreal. I was actually hoping for the 1.5 in order to run angled reducer cups.

biking is fun
    i love my jedi, no need to change it whatsoever.

pedals are also awesome. They make killer stuff. my next frame will definately be a canfield

mtbr member
    Anyone have the new Canfield/Boxxer drop stem? I ordered one today. Pics?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Anyone have the new Canfield/Boxxer drop stem? I ordered one today. Pics?
    Ask and you shall receive. I picked one up this fall and posted about its good'ness.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=canfield

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    Ask and you shall receive. I picked one up this fall and posted about its good'ness.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=canfield

Thanks, how does the bike handle? Could you tell a difference?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It was an immediate difference. I was afraid it was too big of a jump from the height it was and would feel "off" but it was instantly comfortable and felt great. Did check out the thread? I thought I covered the review part pretty well there but if I missed something or you have specific questions let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Also sounds like they're slacking out the jedi by a degree this coming year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Anything on the can-diggle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    as far as ive heard they got a new "one " frame in the works. That will sorta take a place of much of there current lineup. I think its sort of a new burly all mountain frame. basically a new ONE frame but actually be stonger than the can diggle. Im pretty sure the line up will now go as follows: nimble niner/ this new all mountain ONE frame/ and the jedi.
    no more sauce ,no more diggle. no more cancan. Thats what i got out of the last conversation. pretty exciting though , i bet its gonna be super sick. I hope im not giving out false information.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Exciting!! When will it debut?

mtbr member
    June-ish, but you might see some Proto pics in Feb.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    Also sounds like they're slacking out the jedi by a degree this coming year.
    Shame it cannot be done to the existing frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy
    Anything on the can-diggle?
    Canfield is drop'n the ball not show'n anything.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp
    Canfield is drop'n the ball not show'n anything.
    I am sure when ready, you will see pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    I am sure when ready, you will see pics.
    why are they waiting until June? 2010 is next week. I'm ready for new bike now. I'm sure this will lose buisness for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    you have a point. Most people are building up their new rigs during the winter to be ready for the riding season. Mid summer, they are busy riding instead of shopping. Most that is, not everybody.
    That being said, Canfield Bros are a small operation and don't really operate like the bigger companies. They do a production run and can't really do another until they have sold off their stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    come on chris!!!! at least give us a sketch of what its sorta gonna look like !! ALL WHO WANT A TEASER , SAY I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trialsallday
    come on chris!!!! at least give us a sketch of what its sorta gonna look like !! ALL WHO WANT A TEASER , SAY I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HELL YEAH!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trialsallday
    as far as ive heard they got a new "one " frame in the works. That will sorta take a place of much of there current lineup. I think its sort of a new burly all mountain frame. basically a new ONE frame but actually be stonger than the can diggle. Im pretty sure the line up will now go as follows: nimble niner/ this new all mountain ONE frame/ and the jedi.
    no more sauce ,no more diggle. no more cancan. Thats what i got out of the last conversation. pretty exciting though , i bet its gonna be super sick. I hope im not giving out false information.
    Isn't the One and the Can-diggle pretty close already? I don't see how the new bike could be an in-between...

mtbr member
    The new ONE is not inbetween the 2 frames- It's just that it is tougher than a Diggle and I wanted to keep it under the ONE label- Cause I thinks it's cool and explains what it is. It will have a 6.5-7.5" travel with the 8.5" RP23.
    Around 8.5 lbs with shock.
    135 QR.
    Taper HT.
    A little shorter Chainstays-
    Lower standover.
    Direct Mount Front D.
    The upper link gets 20mm bearings like the lower- that last 3 years+
    No problems running any fork you what- 5-8" is fine. and Yes- go ahead and DH it.
    Should feel identical to the current One in suspension- which is pretty magical cause it feels the same in all the chainrings in the front- standing or sitting.
    Not sure what Ano color we are going with- Chime in and vote for your Fav- But I must say- most likely Silver like the can-can had.
    Vote for LINK colors too-
    No retail or ETA finalized- but we are hoping for June- And as for calling us out that we missed the boat- How about we call it 2011 model like everyone else and say its really early-

chris

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared
    The new ONE is not inbetween the 2 frames- It's just that it is tougher than a Diggle and I wanted to keep it under the ONE label- Cause I thinks it's cool and explains what it is. It will have a 6.5-7.5" travel with the 8.5" RP23.
    135 QR.
    Taper HT.
    Lower standover.
    Direct Mount Front D.
    No problems running any fork you what- 5-8" is fine. and Yes- go ahead and DH it.
    Should feel identical to the current One in suspension- which is pretty magical cause it feels the same in all the chainrings in the front- standing or sitting.
    Not sure what Ano color we are going with- Chime in and vote for your Fav- But I must say- most likely Silver like the can-can had.
    No retail or ETA finalized- but we are hoping for June- And as for calling us out that we missed the boat- How about we call it 2011 model like everyone else and say its really early-

chris
    i can't wait, considering selling my jedi to build one up since i don't race and seem to pedal to the top of trails lately. it would be hard to let the jedi go though. For strict Freeride which would you reccomend?

If we are voting then PLEASE do something besides silver!! Black ANO is definately my favorite but if you guys want to go with something different then the jedi then do a dark grey or something like that. One of the very very few complaints about canfields i have heard over the last year was about the colors of the ONE suspension bikes.

so my vote is
    black ano or dark grey ano for the frame
    white, black, and maybe some of the ANO colors to match the race face stuff.
    a dark grey bike with ano purple links, cranks, and bars would be pretty sexy.

PS. thanks for pointing Yo to the perfect gift for me for christmas. I feel bad that all i got her was a snuggie

mtbr member
    May 2004

Weight?

What is the weight going to be with a RP3? Will it be heavier than the current One (7.1lbs/RP3) and Can-Diggle (7.7lbs/RP3)?

Love the shorter shock, 8.5x2.5! Bought one off of ebay and had it pushed. Now it's highly improved - propedal actually works, makes the bottom bracket a little lower, and I'm able to get full travel out of the shock.

Chris

trail fairy
    Chris9702l you should read betterbuddy, CC said 8.5lbs with RP23

135 QR.
    Taper HT.
    Lower standover.
    Direct Mount Front D.

chris
    Well I'm disappointed the Diggle is dropped and this bike is coming with a tapered headtube for one!

I rode the Diggle recently and though it was not quite correctly sprung for me I was impressed, ]over sprung], my buddie just rocks all over on his, liking his new CF pedals too!

Its Hammerschidted and just flies everywhere, je kills people uphill and rocks down, based on the above its lighter than this and has more or less more ability in as light a package with a coil shock?

7" or 8" people just mis understood this bike go air and it was a better option than the ONE, go coil and ya had an all round hardcore weapon, stick a triple on it go DH..It should have been the ONE..

I'm at a loss to understand how 1.5 is heavier? also its long been touted as lighter and stronger and stiffer, again misunderstood and mis represented in the industry 1.5 has been around since the early 90s on XC bikes a true MTB std, Diggle had this right and no frame clearance issues!

The key benefit now is being able to use adj headset cups like K9 as well as lowering stack heights.

Anyway that's mo, I also liked the XTR ano fro what its worth, identity is not a bad thing especially when its done right, change for the hell of it is what Giant and Trek do, why some of us don't buy mainstream bikes, its about the bike not gimmicks.

Happy new year and enjoy the ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield 2010 Changes-diggle-info-600-x-494-.jpg  

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    +1 for 1.5 headtube instead of tapered. Tapered headtube lowers my interest right away. Can't tapered or 1 1/8 just be accomodated w/ reducer cups? Why not have the option to run any size/shape steertube fork that we want on these bikes by incorporating a 1.5?
    1.5 headtube has to open the market for these bikes up a bit in terms of compatability and appeal. It's actually an issue with me already (not that my opinion matters that darn much), and I've been dying to see this bike. Just sayin'.

7MGTE

No wrries...

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Well I'm disappointed the Diggle is dropped and this bike is coming with a tapered headtube for one!

I'm at a loss to understand how 1.5 is heavier? also its long been touted as lighter and stronger and stiffer, again misunderstood and mis represented in the industry 1.5 has been around since the early 90s on XC bikes a true MTB std, Diggle had this right and no frame clearance issues!

The key benefit now is being able to use adj headset cups like K9 as well as lowering stack heights.
    You wont be disappointed TA, I think you will get the HT you will be happy with. For ease to the customer and for more options I am sure you will see 1.5 on the new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    +1 for 1.5 headtube instead of tapered. Tapered headtube lowers my interest right away. Can't tapered or 1 1/8 just be accomodated w/ reducer cups? Why not have the option to run any size/shape steertube fork that we want on these bikes by incorporating a 1.5?
    1.5 headtube has to open the market for these bikes up a bit in terms of compatability and appeal. It's actually an issue with me already (not that my opinion matters that darn much), and I've been dying to see this bike. Just sayin'.
    You will be able to use your 1.5 Totem don't worry

mtbr member
    135 QR.
    Wouldn't 12 Maxle be a better option here? After all it might be a heavy duty bike.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by tatankainlondon
    Wouldn't 12 Maxle be a better option here? After all it might be a heavy duty bike.
    I thought the same but you can still run 10MM TB. 135MM with 10MM hubs are sometimes easier to source then 135MM 12Maxel

biking is fun
    You wont be disappointed TA, I think you will get the HT you will be happy with. For ease to the customer and for more options I am sure you will see 1.5 on the new bike.

You will be able to use your 1.5 Totem don't worry
    Have you talked to chris and confirmed this? above he said tapered and that was only posted a couple of days ago.

I agree with others here

1.5 head tube
    12mm maxle (although a 10mm bolt on does pretty well)

and a dark ano color (black or dark grey)

im planning on buying it anyway but it would help to have the things mentioned above.

Just a question, why the switch to a 8.5 X 2.5. It seems the newer bikes are all around 2.5 - 1 ratio. running it in the 7.5" travel setting would give it a 3 - 1 ratio. Im not saying its bad but just curious about it. maybe to accomidate the rp23 since it doesn't come in 2.75?

Im thinking this frame with an ELKA and a 2010 totem dh would be a good bike for me.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    Have you talked to chris and confirmed this?
    Yeah I needed to call to ask about the new Canfield DH stem so I asked a few Qs about the new One. I tried to get 12 MM approved but got shot down. I understand the 10MM TB will be plenty for me if I decide to upgrade in the summer.

Im thinking this frame with an ELKA and a 2010 totem dh would be a good bike for me.
    Agreed, very sick!

mtbr member
    The Canfield stem is on.

mtbr member
    Too bad more manufacturers won't consider the modular dropout option. That way everyone's happy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    trailadvent - yeah I read that the new One is 8.5lbs with shock but I find it hard to believe that is with an air shock (I'll have to call Chris to confirm). If it is, that means the new One with a coil would be 9.6 lbs.
    I guess it depends on which direction the brothers want the company to go. They came out with the One suspension so you can peddle and go uphill. And I always considered the One going up against bikes like the Nomad, El Guapo, and Reign. So you had the Jedi covering the downhill/freeride crowd, the Diggle squarely covering the freeride crowd, and the One for the All-Mountain riders. I'm and all mountain rider and I absolutely love my One for riding all mountain. But I wouldn't have given the One a second glance if the frame weight would have been in the 8.5 to 9.5lb range. If the weight increase it true, I think the brothers would lose a big percentage of the All-Mountain market they went after by bringing out the One.

the 1.5 headset being heavy - I think this comes from guys who have a 1 1/8th steerer tube fork and are going to use the adapter headsets. The adapter headsets are plain boat anchors, they add over a pound to the weight of the bike. The crown race on my Cane Creek was huge! I think there would be no complaints if you had a 1.5" fork (except the fact you would have to shell out more money for a new 1.5" fork on top of buying the new frame).

ratios (2.5:1 and 3:1) - On my Roco TST (8.75x2.75) shock I used to always run in the 7" mode and never come close to getting full travel. On my RP23 (8.5x2.5) for the first couple rides I ran it in the 6.5" mode and then switched to the 7.5". The 7.5" inch mode feels amazing! I'm also getting full travel and it still climbs great. Questions? What are the characteristics of the different ratios (2.5:1 to 3:1)? Does the shock length play a factor or is it just the amount of travel that is used?

Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Any sneak peeks on geometry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am so F'ng sick of manufacturers coming close but not delivering....

Please, please, please, please, please,.....

give me a 5 or 5.5 " travel bike with decent BB height and a 66 - 66.5 degree HA with Fox 36/ or Lyrik.

Dont know why it is so hard! Manufacturers come so close only to lack on one aspect.

Read up! It is not like I am alone! Tons of people ask for this from all their favorite manufacturers...

The closest and best was an Orange Blood.....but they only make it in a medium! WTF?

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer2003
    I am so F'ng sick of manufacturers coming close but not delivering....

Please, please, please, please, please,.....

give me a 5 or 5.5 " travel bike with decent BB height and a 66 - 66.5 degree HA with Fox 36/ or Lyrik.

Dont know why it is so hard! Manufacturers come so close only to lack on one aspect.

Read up! It is not like I am alone! Tons of people ask for this from all their favorite manufacturers...

The closest and best was an Orange Blood.....but they only make it in a medium! WTF?
    wow, someone needs to go to bed

there are a few bikes coming out or are already out like that. look up the new evil (forget the name), knolly endorphin, banshee rune with k9 cups, and, my favorite, the banshee spitfire. these fit what you are asking for. Its a new trend and it will catch on eventually.

The canfield brothers have always been known for their DH/FR bikes. Im glad to see the changes. You can't please everyone, especially with being such a small company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    haha... yeah, sorry. maybe I do need to go to bed. It's just that some bikes come soooo close....

I am waiting on the Evil....but then again I have also been waiting on their pedals for over two years....

Not into Knolly. While it may work for some people, I am not into their suspension/linkage design. Also HA is more like 68-69 degrees with only a 510mm axle to crown fork. Change this to a more realistic 545mm fork and now the BB height is 14"....not cool and still probably only a 67.5 HA.

Banshee rune is 6" not 5 or 5.5. and it is 67 degrees not 66. I do not want to run K9 cups. It is also a wannabe VPP suspension design that I am not a fan of. Not to be cause for bashing/flaming. Just do not like the ride. Also a 14" BB height is not cool...

I do agree with you however on the spitfire. I have looked and admired, but will not bite. Again, I am not a fan of wannabe VPP suspension ride quality and I would prefer a 1.5 or at least tapered head tube. Also not sure it would take much abuse....being 5 ft drops with a 225# rider. Does it have ISGS mounts for Hammerschmidt?

So you can see.... Yes it is a trend and people are coming close. But I know what I am talking about, I know what I want and currently.....there is nothing there. All of your suggestions are close, but trust me...it is harder than you think to find one that "is there"....

Go ahead and try to find me ONE decent respectable frame with good suspension design that has a 13.5 BB height, 5 or 5.5" rear with a 545mm axle to crown fork length and 66 degree head angle. also uninterrupted seat tube and ISGS mounts . Not looking to use k9 cups, not looking for "adjustable geometry". Yes I know about Corsair and their adjustable headset, but their reviews have been less than stellar. Are you going to say a Commencal? No thanks....

As you can see.... none of the ones you mention are there. Close yes, but there? Nope....

Try again with the specs I ask for.

I currently ride a Turner RFX with 6" geometry and 67 degree head angle so if I wanted "something close" I would just stick with my current ride. Thanks.
    Last edited by slayer2003; 12-30-2009 at 02:17 AM.

biking is fun
    haha... yeah, sorry. maybe I do need to go to bed. It's just that some bikes come soooo close....

I am waiting on the Evil....but then again I have also been waiting on their pedals for over two years....

Not into Knolly. While it may work for some people, I am not into their suspension/linkage design. Also HA is more like 68-69 degrees with only a 510mm axle to crown fork. Change this to a more realistic 545mm fork and now the BB height is 14"....not cool and still probably only a 67.5 HA.

Banshee rune is 6" not 5 or 5.5. and it is 67 degrees not 66. I do not want to run K9 cups. It is also a wannabe VPP suspension design that I am not a fan of. Not to be cause for bashing/flaming. Just do not like the ride. Also a 14" BB height is not cool...

I do agree with you however on the spitfire. I have looked and admired, but will not bite. Again, I am not a fan of wannabe VPP suspension ride quality and I would prefer a 1.5 or at least tapered head tube. Also not sure it would take much abuse....being 5 ft drops with a 225# rider.

So you can see.... Yes it is a trend and people are coming close. But I know what I am talking about, I know what I want and currently.....there is nothing there. All of your suggestions are close, but trust me...it is harder than you think to find one that "is there"....

i can see your point, what is perfect for one person may not be perfect for others.

I think the new ONE is exactly what i was looking for. I don't DH race. Mainly huck off things and try and find every little jump i can on the way down. I also have to pedal my way to the top.
    the new one with a coil shock and a 180 fork seems like it should work nicely for me. Exactly what i was looking for in a bike. (only other bike that compares right now is maybe the intense uzzi??)

Im actually planning on selling both my bikes and building up a banshee spitfire (XC/AM) and a Canfield One (AM/FR/DH).
    Its a hard decision though. I love my jedi so much. don't know if i can part with it. The nomad though i won't miss

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, Intense has some that are close. Uzzi VP is 7 - 7.5 travel which is too much, I will wait for new DW link RFX to see how this is which will compare to this travel range.

Intense Slopestyle is awesome, but it is 6 -6.5 inches also. Would not be too bad if seat tube was not limited as it is..

Again....soooo close.

I will keep mine until somebody nails it.

Still not sure why Orange Bikes makes the perfect choice (orange blood) but does not make a large. My luck I guess....

Waiting to see new Evil and and rumored new Chumba. New DW Turner will tempt me, but it is not 5" range. However it is a Turner and it is DW.

The other one that I was anticipating for over two yeas now was the Versus Valor. They had early specs nailed 2 years ago and it is amazing that nobody has matched them yet! However, even if it became available today, they would not get my sale just because of their lack of respect for customers and their falling off the planet with no statements to the public. Bunch of ******** if you ask me.

Canfield Bikes
    Have you talked to chris and confirmed this? above he said tapered and that was only posted a couple of days ago.

I agree with others here

1.5 head tube
    12mm maxle (although a 10mm bolt on does pretty well)

and a dark ano color (black or dark grey)

im planning on buying it anyway but it would help to have the things mentioned above.

Just a question, why the switch to a 8.5 X 2.5. It seems the newer bikes are all around 2.5 - 1 ratio. running it in the 7.5" travel setting would give it a 3 - 1 ratio. Im not saying its bad but just curious about it. maybe to accomidate the rp23 since it doesn't come in 2.75?

I drew the new One with a 1 1/8 upper and a 1.5 lower thinking that was "Tapered" however the actual sizing of the standard is only 5mm smaller than the 1.5 standard. I can't come up with one good reason to use the tapered standard. It doesn't save more than a couple grams and limits your fork choices. The new One will be coming with a 1.5 headtube.

The Maxle seemed like a good idea but it was a hard sell last year. It cost us alot more to buy and build and in the end I couldn't give them away. Let alone the fact that they just don't clamp into the dropout that way it's advertised too. I feel there is no real benefit, I'd rather do the bolt on like our Jedi, at least that way you save a conciderable amount of weight. For ease of parts availibility, were going with the 135 qr type dropouts and the bolt on is a great option for the bigger and smashy types.

Dark XTR ano like the Diggle is the plan and a silver like the CanCan to give some options. Link color options like we do now, not sure of the colors yet.

We went with the 8.5 x 2.5 so we could use a RP23. It's a great shock and the price and weight can't be beat. The travel went down to accomidate the shock and to hit the riders travel needs better. 3 - 1 leverage is good for riders under 200lbs while 2.6 - 1 leverage is good for heavier riders. Personally, I don't get full travel and the shock feels over damped to me with low leverage. Most modern shocks are valved for 2.5 to 3 - 1 bikes to feel ideal. Otherwise a custom tune is needed, I don't really want to hassle with that. So just pick your travel (the leverage for light or heavy rider) and install the shock, no fussing around.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    I drew the new One with a 1 1/8 upper and a 1.5 lower thinking that was "Tapered" however the actual sizing of the standard is only 5mm smaller than the 1.5 standard. I can't come up with one good reason to use the tapered standard. It doesn't save more than a couple grams and limits your fork choices. The new One will be coming with a 1.5 headtube.

The Maxle seemed like a good idea but it was a hard sell last year. It cost us alot more to buy and build and in the end I couldn't give them away. Let alone the fact that they just don't clamp into the dropout that way it's advertised too. I feel there is no real benefit, I'd rather do the bolt on like our Jedi, at least that way you save a conciderable amount of weight. For ease of parts availibility, were going with the 135 qr type dropouts and the bolt on is a great option for the bigger and smashy types.

Dark XTR ano like the Diggle is the plan and a silver like the CanCan to give some options. Link color options like we do now, not sure of the colors yet.

We went with the 8.5 x 2.5 so we could use a RP23. It's a great shock and the price and weight can't be beat. The travel went down to accomidate the shock and to hit the riders travel needs better. 3 - 1 leverage is good for riders under 200lbs while 2.6 - 1 leverage is good for heavier riders. Personally, I don't get full travel and the shock feels over damped to me with low leverage. Most modern shocks are valved for 2.5 to 3 - 1 bikes to feel ideal. Otherwise a custom tune is needed, I don't really want to hassle with that. So just pick your travel (the leverage for light or heavy rider) and install the shock, no fussing around.
    Sounds like a great bike! I wish other mfgs were as level headed. It's good to see that Canfield takes pride in happy riders. A lot of happiness can be derived from not spending money unecessarily.

Looking forward to the debut.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its sounding like an awesome ride. If there's no large weight penalty, 1.5 ht seems like the way to go, that opens the door to whatever fork you've got. Having broken my collarbone from a loose rear QR (my own fault), the rear through axle sounds good too. Will that be 150mm or 135?

So there's going to be some different settings in the linkage for different travel. Will these affect HT angle? Just wondering if HT angle will be adjustable. I guess with the 1.5 HT you could run an offset headset and 1 1/8 fork for HT adjustment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

All sounds great, but

are you doing an XL One this year?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I eat some of my words! Checked out the huge Banshee Spitfire thread and blog again, which I have not done recently. Blog was updated 2 months ago and shows new tweaked geo with 6" fork, ISGS mounts, tapered head tube and perfect BB height!

Looks like this bike is now at the top of my list. Just hope their suspension design which appears to mimic VPP actually rides better than a VPP....

banned
    Sep 2005

I do agree with you however on the spitfire. I have looked and admired, but will not bite. Again, I am not a fan of wannabe VPP suspension ride quality and I would prefer a 1.5 or at least tapered head tube. Also not sure it would take much abuse....being 5 ft drops with a 225# rider. Does it have ISGS mounts for Hammerschmidt?

Go ahead and try to find me ONE decent respectable frame with good suspension design that has a 13.5 BB height, 5 or 5.5" rear with a 545mm axle to crown fork length and 66 degree head angle. also uninterrupted seat tube and ISGS mounts . Not looking to use k9 cups, not looking for "adjustable geometry". Yes I know about Corsair and their adjustable headset, but their reviews have been less than stellar. Are you going to say a Commencal? No thanks....

As you can see.... none of the ones you mention are there. Close yes, but there? Nope....

Try again with the specs I ask for.

I currently ride a Turner RFX with 6" geometry and 67 degree head angle so if I wanted "something close" I would just stick with my current ride. Thanks.
    Why not add some 5spot seat stays. That should drop you HA and you'd be set. Although, I do understand, NOW, that the RFX could stand to shed a little weight. Of course, I only found that out after purchasing my Highline as I don't need my RFX anymore for shuttle/lift assist days. I can't afford anything new at the moment, but I'm looking into trading my 06 for an 07-08. I was a little skeptical about the BB height on this model with a 180 mm fork but it feels just right for a "pro-core" trail bike. There was a thread on another board, I forget which one, that states if the wheelbase is long enough, then the BB height really isn't an issue. I had not thought of that before, but I guess that is why my buds 06-07 felt so nice. I think the xtra half inch of travel is not needed, but I can't say that it would affect my decision.

biking is fun
    I eat some of my words! Checked out the huge Banshee Spitfire thread and blog again, which I have not done recently. Blog was updated 2 months ago and shows new tweaked geo with 6" fork, ISGS mounts, tapered head tube and perfect BB height!

Looks like this bike is now at the top of my list. Just hope their suspension design which appears to mimic VPP actually rides better than a VPP....
    it does look sweet, we will have two coming to our house in the next month or two

a tight kick sound

It does!!!

trail fairy
    Good info guys and Chris like MTN Biker says great response and flexibility to the market and loyal CF owners, that's what builds long term brand, I like what CF does the Jedi and Diggle really rate for me, the new ONE is now sounding really god and is on my radar so look fowd to seeing it when time comes!

I really like the maxle idea, but can see where Chris is coming from but sometimes it takes the market and people a yar or too to catch up, but std thru axle in 10mm or 12mm dosen't bother me as Hadley hubs axle's can be swapped out to either to suit in 135mm width, I run Hadley wheels.

If the Maxle is a hard sell then 142mm is gonna be tough work on some other brands, though OEM buyers know know better until the stuck with it

Can understand the shock change but always liked the fact CF were again a litle ahead here of others if ya have more than one Canfeild in ya stable the ability to run the same shock from bike to bike from the ONE to the Jedi was pretty cool, I liked the ride and never felt they suffered from longer stroke shock to me, but then I like a bigger ride than most!

Seems the US is going back more and more XC on everything, which to m is a big step back ward, but the One with 8.5x 2.5 should be sweet, its about right like Chris said for that travel and target he's aiming at, so no biggie!

Also like the shorter rear stays!

What about BB, HA [ sorry if I missed this]

Also agree with Slayer too, less harsh though and not aimed at CF here either, just general.

The pedaling ability of these bikes is not compromised with there quality of design so go for it don't hold back and get out in front of these others!

Juts as an aside for example the GT Sanction [OEM has a 66deg HA since its inception, this bike in 2010 with come std with Hammerschidt etc and is top spec on a pretty darn good platform for xample and its OEM, then the Evil Sect @ 140mm has a Adj HA 66 to 67 ther abouts!
    It looks a little funcky to me in proto so not sure yet but in final production it could be in there as will there Division 160mm?

Otheriwse if every bik in this 5" 6: catagory is similar it will affect sales no doubt, there will be big winners and big losers, linkage alone does not sell bikes imo something missed by small manafacturers!

Ventana have one of the strongest setups going and is all in house in the US, price is not low or weak yet they still remain strong, just saying its a good example of what is important, then if ya got a good platform on top of that well

Look fwd to seeing pic's of the new ONE

Happy 2010 everyone..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Ventana have one of the strongest setups going and is all in house in the US, price is not low or weak yet they still remain strong, just saying its a good example of what is important, then if ya got a good platform on top of that well
    Was gonna suggest to slayer to check out a custom Ciclon. Sherwood will make pretty much whatever geo you want within reason. There's a great shot of a custom Ciclon for the Path bike shop on the Ventana set-up thread. Low and slack. . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    any ideiais about the price?
    I really like my one with maxle rear end, because of the extra stifness added when compared to the QR rear end(have both).
    Good to know that the problem for the Small size are goiung to disapear (i experience this problems) and solve with a spacer under the headset, but itīs not the perfect solution.

biking is fun
    Any updates lance or chris?

Geo
    Price
    drawings/pictures?

i sold my DH bike to get one going completely on faith that this will be one sweet bike. already started ordering parts to build it. Some kind of picture/drawing would really help ease my mind

Roll on Spring Time!
    So the Jedi has been sent out to greener pastures? I hope the new one will deliver for you Bubba, I am also interested in what the Bro's put out for this One.

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    So the Jedi has been sent out to greener pastures? I hope the new one will deliver for you Bubba, I am also interested in what the Bro's put out for this One.
    Yeah the jedi went to a new home. Ill miss it but i figure with the new slacker jedi coming out in a few months it was a good time to sell. If i miss it ill pick up a new one this or next year.

i kind of changed most of my bike stable this year. sold my jedi and nomad and im building up the new banshee spitfire so i can do more XC/light AM stuff and then ill build up the ONE when it comes out for FR/aggressive AM duty. I don't dh race and mainly just like to jump off stuff so didn't feel the need for a full blown DH bike with a dual crown. At the end of this last season i was 3/4 of the way to getting x-ups and would love to take them to the trails.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Sounds like we ride similar. I am digging the sound of the Spitfire but there just isnt any need for a bike like that in Korea. I can manage all the local trails on my 160mm Hardtail, I was tempted though. I have decided to stick with my hardtail and continue with the Maelstrom for the full vertical and handbuilt trails and this year I plan to sell my medium Wildcard and either pick up a large or I am seriously looking at the Scott Voltage FR. Looks like a very versatile bike and possibly an excellent bike to travel with, spare wheelset and fork to change the setup. I am back in Thailand and realise how important it is to have a shorter travel bike that sprints and jumps well when the terrain is flatter and you have to built features or find single hits. That and mixing it up with some urban riding.
    I was almost dropping a deposit on a DT when I had major idler issues on the Maelstrom but I have since decided there are too many great choices comming up this year and the new One is definately in there. Look forward to the release.

mtbr member
    My 2010 jedi should be here this week! The stork (plane) is delivering!
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    How come I can't seem to find BB height of the 'One' and Can-diggle on the website? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I wanna make comaprisions when the proto comes out.

maker of trail
    How come I can't seem to find BB height of the 'One' and Can-diggle on the website? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. I wanna make comaprisions when the proto comes out.
    They give the BB rise, ie delta between BB and wheel axle, then you figure out BB height based on wheel+tire radius.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    They give the BB rise, ie delta between BB and wheel axle, then you figure out BB height based on wheel+tire radius.
    Oh! Didn't know that. Sorry, newbie here.
    Thanks for that!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Good job!

I'm sure lookin' forward to checking out the new One. I was initially interested in the Diggle, but was put off by reading reports of them cracking or breaking under heavy use. It did seem exceptionally light for a FR bike with that much travel, so if the new One is heavier, that's probably a good thing in my book. Seems like good freeride bikes are getting harder to find- I guess it's just a niche market, many riders would rather just have a DH-only rig, and a lighter AM rig for pedaling up. I'm still getting by with my old rig, but when it comes time to replace it, this one may be the "One" for me. I'll be curious to see how it stacks up against the new Knolly Delirium, since that's my current dream-bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FA-Q
    I'm sure lookin' forward to checking out the new One. I was initially interested in the Diggle, but was put off by reading reports of them cracking or breaking under heavy use. It did seem exceptionally light for a FR bike with that much travel, so if the new One is heavier, that's probably a good thing in my book. Seems like good freeride bikes are getting harder to find- I guess it's just a niche market, many riders would rather just have a DH-only rig, and a lighter AM rig for pedaling up. I'm still getting by with my old rig, but when it comes time to replace it, this one may be the "One" for me. I'll be curious to see how it stacks up against the new Knolly Delirium, since that's my current dream-bike.
    Diggle breaking under heavy use? Would you mind PM-ing me the links to those reports please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Diggle breaking under heavy use? Would you mind PM-ing me the links to those reports please?
    Sorry, don't have any links handy, I did read a review here on mtbr to that effect, saw a guy who had built up a Diggle a couple years ago, then not long after posted the frame for sale with repairs (new link, etc) and bought a Highline instead, etc. Not trying to spread rumors or bad-mouth the Canfield Bros, but when I watched the youtube video of Chris at Interbike a while back, he described the Diggle as "All-Mountain to light Freeride", not as a heavy-duty FR rig. If they are making the new One stronger and perhaps heavier than the Diggle, and discontinuing the Diggle...well...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sounds like this post i read about the guy mounting the shock wrong...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FA-Q
    Sorry, don't have any links handy, I did read a review here on mtbr to that effect, saw a guy who had built up a Diggle a couple years ago, then not long after posted the frame for sale with repairs (new link, etc) and bought a Highline instead, etc. Not trying to spread rumors or bad-mouth the Canfield Bros, but when I watched the youtube video of Chris at Interbike a while back, he described the Diggle as "All-Mountain to light Freeride", not as a heavy-duty FR rig. If they are making the new One stronger and perhaps heavier than the Diggle, and discontinuing the Diggle...well...

I read the same review, it's in this forum somewhere, the same happened to mine.

I had the shock mounted around the wrong way (there was no literature stating which way to mount) on the 8 inch mode the edge of the links came into contact with the shock and gauged out some metal off the link and the end of the shock.

There has been a few issues over the range, forks colliding into the frame, shocks hitting the frame under bottom out and the links, also a few frames out of alignment, very little help was given to me with the above problems so fingers crossed they sort it out this year and brush up on their communication.

Saying that I love my Diggle, was very disappointed with my One and was very impressed with the Jedi I rode for 9 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, the instructions now specify how to orient the shock.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any pics of the new "ONE" ??????????

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    the proto pics look very good! check out the site

maker of trail

biking is fun
    that does look good. Does anyone else think it looks a lot like a specialized SX or SX trail? Not in a bad way but definately similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wow, that thing looks hot!

Agreed, Bubba, as far as tube appearance, that upper link, etc. I haven't seen the geo, though.

Had to laugh at the "winter relief" title. After Borat, anytime I hear relief, I can only think of "no hand relief". . .

mtbr member
    I like it a lot

I like the fact that the seattube is straight - it gives us great flexibility as to what this frame can be used for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    that does look good. Does anyone else think it looks a lot like a specialized SX or SX trail? Not in a bad way but definately similar.
    I thought it looked like a titus el guapo.

this might be my next bike

Canfield Bikes

Geo

Here is the geo for the new One.
    1.5 head tube
    135 x 12 bolt on axle (maxle compatable)
    191mm or 172mm travel

The drawings are both 172mm travel and 191mm travel with inset or external headset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canfield 2010 Changes-2010-one-172-inset.jpg  

Canfield 2010 Changes-2010-one-191-external.jpg  

Canfield 2010 Changes-2010-one-191-inset.jpg  

Canfield 2010 Changes-2010-one-172-external.jpg  

Roll on Spring Time!
    Nice numbers, any idea of release date?
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Final weight ? coil/air?

final color frame and links?

Canfield Bikes
    The frames are getting ordered this week so it'll be about 3 months to build and a month to ship. Let's call these 2011 frames, haha! (Crying inside) I figure, no mater what timing, these bikes are going to fit a group of riders that don't have alot of good options.

As always you can pick the shock to go with your frames, Coil or air, Fox, Marz, Elka, Boss. If you want it, we can most likely get it. We won't have the actual weight until the production frames are done but it's about 0.5lbs heavier than the Can Diggle.

The colors we are thinking of doing are the Anodized CanCan silver and the CanDiggle xtr Grey. The links are up in the air. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Gonna have an XL?

I really like my current ONE, but wish it came in XL.

The frames are getting ordered this week so it'll be about 3 months to build and a month to ship. Let's call these 2011 frames, haha! (Crying inside) I figure, no mater what timing, these bikes are going to fit a group of riders that don't have alot of good options.

As always you can pick the shock to go with your frames, Coil or air, Fox, Marz, Elka, Boss. If you want it, we can most likely get it. We won't have the actual weight until the production frames are done but it's about 0.5lbs heavier than the Can Diggle.

The colors we are thinking of doing are the Anodized CanCan silver and the CanDiggle xtr Grey. The links are up in the air. Any ideas?

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    Still taking votes for colors?

How about Copper? Another favorite is Grey/Green (RAL 7009)
    My presence would be the equivalent of painting lamb's blood on your frame, causing the "angel of crash" to nail me instead.

mtbr member
    The new One looks so nice and the geo looks great. I think this bike was a great move by Canfield. Really looking forward to reading some ride impressions from people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Very tasty. A couple of questions:

What size tyre is that? Clearance doesn't look amazing at the rear.
    What size frame is that? Is it a large?
    Will it be capable of taking a Hammerschmidt?
    And finally, when can I have One?

mtbr member
    The tire is a 2.5 roller- it is a bit tight on this proto- They did curve the intersecting tube on this one- so the clearance is a bit tighter- But it has over .5" of clearance.
    That is a Large-
    It is Hammerschmidt ready.
    ETA is Late Summer-
    C2

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=w1sty]

OOOh! Gimme! Gorgeous bike. I'm dying to try one of these!
    Nice job, Canfield!

≈ > ♥
    I want to see a closeup of that next-gen pedal.

What are the differences, and when is it available?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim

YEah i notice the pedals are not on the web store anymore, when are the new generation coming out?

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim

Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc
    YEah i notice the pedals are not on the web store anymore, when are the new generation coming out?
    Bout time someone noticed!!! New pedals should be sweet

mtbr member
    So the the new one is basically a new diggle seeing as the travel has gone up and its heavier than the diggle?

Canfield Bikes
    The travel went from 7-8" down to 6.5-7.5" to accomidate a RP23 option. You still have all the shock options like we always do. The new One is replacing the entire line up. It's seems it's what everyone was looking for, stronger with a more DH/FR geo. It still has the amazing pedaling feel that the older Ones had but it a truely do all build.

Canfield Bikes
    We removed the pedals from the web store until we get more in stock. We hope to have them finished in about a month.

The changes to the pedals are minor. They have 4mm pins that bottomout in the body so they don't need to be glued. There is a set of machined in "pins" near the spindle to ensure your not rubbing the spindle with you shoe.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Damn. The new One is very nice. Very nice. I like the way the cables are routed cleanly inside the DT and under the ST's. Throw some adjustable seatpost cable guides on there and you're golden (assuming they're not already featured in the mix).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The travel went from 7-8" down to 6.5-7.5" to accomidate a RP23 option. You still have all the shock options like we always do. The new One is replacing the entire line up. It's seems it's what everyone was looking for, stronger with a more DH/FR geo. It still has the amazing pedaling feel that the older Ones had but it a truely do all build.
    I have to thank you for going this direction, the first "one" had some appeal to me on paper, but I just couldn't figure out why I'd need 7-8 inches of rear travel on a bike that couldn't handle DC forks, I think the market is pretty limited on efficient pedalling freeride type bikes. Giant Faith, Knolly DT, Intense Uzzi are about all I've found and each has some limitations or irritations. I'd love a bike I can put air SC air fork/ air shocks / light wheels and tires on for trail riding, and coil/DC forks/heavy wheels and rubber for bike park/DH riding. I'll be looking closely at this new "one" when it's available.

mtbr member
    Something tells me this is going to be a popular bike. Nice job.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I may be in the minority, but I am saddened by the weight gain. I guess I should be happy with my "old" One that weighs 6.2 lbs without rear shock, but that light weight was a large part of why I bought it - that combined with the option for a shorter shock (lower, slacker). I just built it up, and the BB height with a Schwalbe MM F and High Roller 2.5 R is 13.7". I'm still dialing it in, but I'm happy.
    But I digress - I just wanted to point out that the reason I am going to ride it is because (in part) it's light! I have it built up with DH tires, coil rear and Boxxer front to 34 lbs. Light enough to pedal, and plenty fun.
    Speaking of the Boxxer, what's this I read about the "no DC forks on the One?" In the geo specs the website shows the option of a 565 A-C fork - the Boxxer is 568mm. I don't see why this might be an issue. Or is it just a crash issue with the leverage the stanchions might put on the TT/DT? Please don't tell me I have to get a 180mm because I like having that extra inch that comes with running a DC...

On a side note, is anyone else running an 8.5" CCDB on their old One?

scars > tattoos
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    Still taking votes for colors?

How about Copper? Another favorite is Grey/Green (RAL 7009)
    i really like my white frame. it looks fantastic with mud on it, and shows off the link colors well. as for the links....keep the skittles colors poppin'. the canfield club (one owners) showed up at the bike park the other day, and we were rocking pink, green, and purple (two of them are dudes). mr. green and i (pink) are talking about trading bottom links to make a watermelon effect. letting people mix n' match would likely be too difficult, though...

mtbr member
    We removed the pedals from the web store until we get more in stock. We hope to have them finished in about a month.

The changes to the pedals are minor. They have 4mm pins that bottomout in the body so they don't need to be glued. There is a set of machined in "pins" near the spindle to ensure your not rubbing the spindle with you shoe.

There's a post on Ridemonkey about the crampon pedals,
    one guys is saying that several person he know's got problems with their crampons..apparently they develop a few mm loose in the bearing and turn poorly when that happen?
    have you heard of that?

here's the link.: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231439
    Last edited by tartosuc; 05-07-2010 at 05:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't have a set of pedals but I was talking to Lance this weekend and specifically asked how the pedals were doing and if they had any warranty issues with them. He told me that only issue they had was a couple had the spindles not built to spec and they had to send out new ones. I am skeptical that there really are any issues beyond personal preference based on that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkellison
    I may be in the minority, but I am saddened by the weight gain. I guess I should be happy with my "old" One that weighs 6.2 lbs without rear shock, but that light weight was a large part of why I bought it - that combined with the option for a shorter shock (lower, slacker). I just built it up, and the BB height with a Schwalbe MM F and High Roller 2.5 R is 13.7". I'm still dialing it in, but I'm happy.
    But I digress - I just wanted to point out that the reason I am going to ride it is because (in part) it's light! I have it built up with DH tires, coil rear and Boxxer front to 34 lbs. Light enough to pedal, and plenty fun.
    Speaking of the Boxxer, what's this I read about the "no DC forks on the One?" In the geo specs the website shows the option of a 565 A-C fork - the Boxxer is 568mm. I don't see why this might be an issue. Or is it just a crash issue with the leverage the stanchions might put on the TT/DT? Please don't tell me I have to get a 180mm because I like having that extra inch that comes with running a DC...

On a side note, is anyone else running an 8.5" CCDB on their old One?
    I talked to Chris about running an 888 on my One and was advised not to. The tubeset (I'm assuming the downtube/headtube junction due to the extra bending stress a longer fork creates) was not designed to take the abuse.

I believe the boxxer is quite a bit shorter than the 888 though. I would give them a call/email.. You could also just pick up a diggle front end .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkellison
    I may be in the minority, but I am saddened by the weight gain. I guess I should be happy with my "old" One that weighs 6.2 lbs without rear shock, but that light weight was a large part of why I bought it -
    Same here actually. I love the new version but it is now too much bike for the type of riding I do in the north east.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tatankainlondon
    I like it a lot

I like the fact that the seattube is straight - it gives us great flexibility as to what this frame can be used for.

I can only say one thing;

mtbr member
    May 2009
    same feeling here, the old ONE was overkill for me but just light enough to justify its use.
    The new one gets up into the range of weight I consider DH although I suppose one could just ignore the strenght and build it enduro lightweight or how about SD XC??? too much like a Ford for me
    However with any luck at all, the wife to be will be ordering up the current ONE by next monday. It'll be fun huckin' that little thing around
    Last edited by crossup; 05-19-2010 at 07:43 PM.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    so the new ONE will only have 7.5 travel...why less? I know its only 0.7" but you got 4 setting by using 2 shock lenghts with the old ONE right? thats an appealing option 6.5 to 8.2 but 172 to 191? not much range now

local trails rider
    Looks great.
    More travel than I really want though.... unless there's some shock setup that would get me a little closer to the ground without making a mess of how that rear end works.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I guess my answer is right here....some want more some want less
    only the brothers know

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just wondering if the chain stay length is compressed or static, and how much rearward travel?

I am really hoping the chain stays start short and the 17.4 is on bottom out.

What is the wheel base on a large with a 160 fork?

This bike looks sooooo good, slack, low and you can pedal it up! I Don't know why there are not more bikes with is geo! I cant be the only one who wants a dh bike they can self shuttle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Chris/Lance

Any updates on the "one".... arrival dates and frame color????
    Specs on the medium?

banned
    Ears perked here, too..

mtbr member
    Well they wrapped the van. Looks good really good....

My Sponsor House

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Well they wrapped the van. Looks good really good....

SICK!!! Thanks for the post BC

mtbr member
    SICK!!! Thanks for the post BC
    It was full of stuff "ahem, hint hint"
    My Sponsor House

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    It was full of stuff "ahem, hint hint"
    Sweet!!! I got home from Snow Mass Monday night and this little # was waiting for me

mtbr member
    Any updates on The One?

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    Lookin' good! Can't wait until these are available for purchase!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TORO1968

The tubes are too bendy and trendy for me. Now I'm even happier that I picked up my Banshee Legend instead of waiting for this.

local trails rider
    But the Legend is an all out DH race bike, while the One is more about versatility. Right?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

banned
    Apr 2010
    Reinforced links, swoopy top tube down, instead of the trendy, Nomad-esque up swoop, swoopy DT to clear forks with wide crowns and their controls, reinforced links, and run nearly any shock you want. What's better than that? And supposedly, it can be pedaled.

The only thing that I hate about it is the tapered headtube. There are ZERO reasons for customers to be going with taper. Give us the choice, but at least provide a full 1.5, especially now with headset choices... Even though one can run a 1.5 in this headtube, it still doesn't make sense to me to have gone taper 44 on top.

maker of trail
    Yeah the swoopy tubes while kinda fashionable, serve a purpose, clear forks, and more stand over, both a good in my books.

Priorities permitting I'd love to grab one of these next season!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    But the Legend is an all out DH race bike, while the One is more about versatility. Right?
    Oops, sorry. I need to learn how to read. For some reason I thought this was the new Jedi.

mtbr member

Where does the front derailleur mount?

mtbr member

E-type!

Not 100% on this one, but I think it would have to be an E-type FD that mounts to the ISCG tabs.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    is the rear going to be 12 x 135mm on production frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13
    Not 100% on this one, but I think it would have to be an E-type FD that mounts to the ISCG tabs.
    What's that flat face on the bottom/side of the seat tube? There's a hole (possibly screw hole) in it too.

Crainius Maximus
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    What's that flat face on the bottom/side of the seat tube? There's a hole (possibly screw hole) in it too.
    I believe you're right...direct mount FD.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    direct mount front der

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This could very well replace the scratch 9, especially with the link

mtbr member
    May 2007

These were supposed to be available by now... wonder if there are some changes afoot or production issues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by batorok
    These were supposed to be available by now... wonder if there are some changes afoot or production issues?
    No production issues- We just started production this month. So- FEB to March or so-

We were hoping to get this frame out this year- mid season.
    But we felt like it needed a few changes to really get it dialed in.

Changes-
    135x12mm through axle with a Jedi style rear. Light, stiff, and way better than the Maxle or QR.

We opened up the tire clearance with a different setup connecting the rear yokes-(top to bottom)

And as always- we will do a last minute graphic change,
    Colors- Ano Black and maybe a silver-
    LInks- black, white, red and blue.

We also felt like this would be a great lightweight race frame at 9.5 lbs with shock. So we made it will DH Geo-
    13.8 bb
    17.3 chainstays.

It will also be able to be run with both shocks like the last versions.
    2.75- for the 7-8"
    2.5- for the 6.5-7.5"

C2

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So will we be seeing 32 pound builds or is the DH aspects of the bike going to put us into full DH weight range?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup
    So will we be seeing 32 pound builds or is the DH aspects of the bike going to put us into full DH weight range?
    We are right inbetween- (9.5 lbs with coil and 8.25 with RP23.) So about 1.1 lbs heavier than the old ONE. But right where it should be.

mtbr member
    We also felt like this would be a great lightweight race frame at 9.5 lbs with shock. So we made it will DH Geo-
    13.8 bb
    17.3 chainstays.

2.75- for the 7-8"
    2.5- for the 6.5-7.5"
    C2
    What fork or A-C is the 64 degree head angle & bb height based on? When is the geo being finalized & published?

mtbr member
    No production issues- We just started production this month. So- FEB to March or so-

Changes-
    135x12mm through axle with a Jedi style rear. Light, stiff, and way better than the Maxle or QR.

We opened up the tire clearance with a different setup connecting the rear yokes-(top to bottom)

13.8 bb
    17.3 chainstays.

2.75- for the 7-8"
    2.5- for the 6.5-7.5"

C2
    I must say, I thought this bike looked great but it hadn't really risen above the rest for me. I'm very interested after seeing the (partial) geometry specs.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    May 2009
    SUPER! I did not want to have to ask the point of a bike that pedals great if its too heavy to bother pedaling,
    Hopefully this bike will be the absolute most suspension one can still pedal to the top without having a heart attack.

We are right inbetween- (9.5 lbs with coil and 8.25 with RP23.) So about 1.1 lbs heavier than the old ONE. But right where it should be.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have to say the last minute changes are major. 64 degrees and 8 inches of travel is a DH bike. 64 degrees of travel and 6.5 inches of travel is a mini-DH bike. That's just too slack to be a trail bike. Pedal up a fire road yes. Pedal up a gnarly trail you want to ride down, no. I'm sure this bike will find it's market, but it shouldn't be call "the one" anymore, more like mini-jedi.

mtbr member
    I have to say the last minute changes are major. 64 degrees and 8 inches of travel is a DH bike. 64 degrees of travel and 6.5 inches of travel is a mini-DH bike. That's just too slack to be a trail bike. Pedal up a fire road yes. Pedal up a gnarly trail you want to ride down, no. I'm sure this bike will find it's market, but it shouldn't be call "the one" anymore, more like mini-jedi.
    I'm thinking the same way at the moment. I'll wait until a few reviews come out before I scrub it off my next bike list though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That totally depends on where and what you ride. For me, it would be a great one-quiver bike - pedals up and hauls down. I don't ride XC and I don't really enjoy pedaling around - I ride to go down. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person with this philosophy on riding. For people who pedal up to go down, this frame seems awesome. I don't think it was designed as an all-mountain frame, and that's good! Kinda like a Socom, but I bet it pedals a lot better.
    If your mountain biking consists of pedaling up and around and you like flat, rolling hills for trails, this probably isn't the bike for you.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    hmmm , sure would be nice to hear some detail on how well the new ONE works uphill. If its awesome, seems like a no brainer to video some one hammering away while the suspension
    is working its magic

mtbr member

Changes-

13.8 bb
    17.3 chainstays.

2.75- for the 7-8"
    2.5- for the 6.5-7.5"

C2
    Really liking the numbers...

Will changing the shock affect the head angle? (Or are we talking shocks with the same e2e but different strokes?)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup
    hmmm , sure would be nice to hear some detail on how well the new ONE works uphill. If its awesome, seems like a no brainer to video some one hammering away while the suspension
    is working its magic
    It would not be difficult to create this video, but it shows nothing. It would be easy to adjust a rear setup so that it doesn't bob in a product video, but that doesn't mean that it'll be bob-free all the time. Think about it - such a video really shows you nothing because it would be so easy to misrepresent performance.
    The proof is in unbiased opinion and test-rides. But I trust Canfield - their bikes have always out-performed expectations for me. I can only expect this bike to be a further improvement.

Members who have read this thread: 0