Balance vs Rocky Mtn Slayer?- Mtbr.com
    Professional Noob

Balance vs Rocky Mtn Slayer?

I’ve always wanted a Balance, but I demo’d a Slayer last night. That was the best climbing “endurbro” bike I’ve ever been on hands down. My Jekyll is like trying to run in sand if I forget to put it in climb mode, but the Slayer will sprint wide open with barely any loss.

Downhill wise, Slayer and Jekyll were about the same.

How does the Balance compare? Does CBF offer better climbing efficiency than the Rocky Mtn linkage? Is it just as plush and confident on downhills as both Slayer and Jekyll?
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

mtbr member
    CBF is in a league of it's own, just no other suspension climbs so well while being so active on the DH's and I've owned pretty much every suspension design out there (VPP, DW link, 4 bar, etc.). My Balance has been off the hook great. Only thing I don't like about it is the weight - a 9 lb frame is just a lil too heavy for me for all day epics so I'm getting a dedicated trail bike 29'r for long days.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Professional Noob
    Found another review where the person said the Balance beats the Slayer in all conditions...

Now the hard part will be tracking down a 2016-17 Balance frame after I graduate next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    Found another review where the person said the Balance beats the Slayer in all conditions...

Now the hard part will be tracking down a 2016-17 Balance frame after I graduate next year.
    I've seen some great deals on Pinkbike... shouldn't have a problem with that.

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    If you are after carbon, Revel has licensed CBF. It's the same but with "modern geo." Canfield was progressive but still short by today's standard, so size up if you want that feel. I will never give up my Balance, it is so damn good.

Its pretty satisfying out climbing a carbon SB6 with Eagle while I am on XT 11 spd lugging 33+ lbs.

Professional Noob
    I saw the Revel stuff. Looks sweet, but it's freaking Boost. I hate Boost. Mostly just because it makes me buy new wheels.

I can get a Balance frame cheaper anyhow and the XL geometry will fit me perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    I saw the Revel stuff. Looks sweet, but it's freaking Boost. I hate Boost. Mostly just because it makes me buy new wheels.

I can get a Balance frame cheaper anyhow and the XL geometry will fit me perfect.
    Just an fyi because I feel you on the nonboost wheelset. Deep in either the Riot or Balance thread the Bros endorsed running a boost rearend as an alternative to nonboost. IIRC, they stated it would simply drop in due to the stays being open before tightening down the thruaxle. It does require a longer thruaxle, however.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Just an fyi because I feel you on the nonboost wheelset. Deep in either the Riot or Balance thread the Bros endorsed running a boost rearend as an alternative to nonboost. IIRC, they stated it would simply drop in due to the stays being open before tightening down the thruaxle. It does require a longer thruaxle, however.
    Do you know what the thru axle size was? Where to source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I've been running boost wheels on my Riot for a while now. The axle should be at least 172mm long, with a 1.75 thread pitch. I'm currently running a 174mm long Salsa Deadbolt UL with only a few mm sticking out the other side of the dropout. I previously was using a 180mm long Maxle that left a good bit sticking out.

One thing to note with the Salsa axle - for some reason it has spikes under the axle head. When clamped down, they dig into the aluminum a bit and leave and a small imprint. I think the marks can be buffed out, but it is something to note before buying one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Do you know what the thru axle size was? Where to source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is the one I have run with Boost Wheels for over a year.

RockShox Axle Maxle Stealth Rear MTB 12x142 Length 174mm Thread length 20mm Thread pitch M12X1.75 Standard Frames https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XB3MGWP..._N5-TCbHH0J780

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk