Balance or Jedi... Jedi or Balance..- Mtbr.com
    May The Force Be With You

Balance or Jedi... Jedi or Balance..

went to the local bike park and took the Small Jedi and Small Balance. First run down I was so uncomfortable on the Jedi. Small cockpit, narrower handle bar then what I have on the Balance, brakes just won't bed in and felt like garbage after several bleeding sessions, new pads and rotors. sag needs to be adjusted badly, every pedal stroke my cranks were hitting the ground....... The Balance, it was amazing!!! so what to do with the Jedi. buy a medium frame, transfer parts over, work on the suspension and upgraded the brakes or sell it... so indecisive
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have both bikes also in larges. The Jedi cockpit is smaller and the suspension takes getting used to for bikepark flow trails. It corners differently on the berms than any other bike I've ridden. Straightlining and old school DH the jedi kills it. Flow trails with big booters are my problem, the jedi likes to eat the lips up and not send you as high as other bikes. Recently I rode the balance at the bikepark with a 180mm z1 and had so much fun. I may try the dual crown from the Jedi on there next to get a better comparison but I have a feeling I'm going to run the Balance as my park bike going forward and sell the Jedi frame. It's alot of bike for the bermy park where I live.

If you have more of and old school dh hill then maybe a wider handlebar on the Jedi can help your riding position enough.

Just read your sig - looks like you are selling the Jedi and it's an older model anyhow. Mine are both the latest versions.

May The Force Be With You
    I'm trying to sell the Jedi but no bites but to be fair I haven't made an advertisement yet on pinkbike. im currently in financial recovery mode so can't afford to buy a medium frame yet
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    I'm trying to sell the Jedi but no bites but to be fair I haven't made an advertisement yet on pinkbike. im currently in financial recovery mode so can't afford to buy a medium frame yet
    I have an XL balance, and a L Jedi (largest they made that model year). I like the roomier cockpit of the Balance for sure. I struggle keeping in the sweet spot of the cockpit fore/aft more on the Jedi. It'll take me a day or two of park riding to re-acquire the feel of the Jedi after being on the Balance when not riding park.

I've only got a 160mm Diamond on the Balance compared to the 203mm Emerald on my Jedi, so anytime things get really rough and steep the Jedi will eat the balance for lunch. 2.5 degrees slacker on the head tube angle doesn't hurt on the steeps.

The Jedi is nowhere near as nimble of course, but I can still throw it around pretty well in tight berms when I need to, so that doesn't bother me.

I don't have any issues boosting larger/faster bike park style jumps on the Jedi, but it surely wouldn't be my bike of choice on really steep lippy dirt jump style jumps.

I don't have any issues with pedal strikes on either bike, but I'm running 165mm cranks on the balance, and 155mm on the Jedi. I had a TON of pedal strikes with 165 mm cranks on my 2013 The One, and would regularly be dragging my heels in the dirt on steep sections with that bike.

If you're bottoming the pedals, you need to get your spring rate sorted first, then possibly go to shorter cranks. But......if you're riding a bike a size to small, then there is no fixing that.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    twd953 how tall are you? I have a large Balance and want a Jedi. Iím 5í11Ē with long legs. Putting a 200mm dropper on my Riot. Could put one on my Balance, but doesnít need it like the Riot did. 175mm and the seat still gets in my way jumping on the Riot. Iím not the best jumper though. The Balance feels a little small when seated, but perfect standing flying down. Wondering what size Jedi. It will just be for the most extreme trails. Balance was great for most of park riding. Just want to be able to keep up with my friends on their DH bikes in the gnarly stuff. Probably large. Sorry to hear of your derailleur problems. Maybe single speed like Chris. Ha, not me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    twd953 how tall are you? I have a large Balance and want a Jedi. Iím 5í11Ē with long legs. Putting a 200mm dropper on my Riot. Could put one on my Balance, but doesnít need it like the Riot did. 175mm and the seat still gets in my way jumping on the Riot. Iím not the best jumper though. The Balance feels a little small when seated, but perfect standing flying down. Wondering what size Jedi. It will just be for the most extreme trails. Balance was great for most of park riding. Just want to be able to keep up with my friends on their DH bikes in the gnarly stuff. Probably large. Sorry to hear of your derailleur problems. Maybe single speed like Chris. Ha, not me
    I'm 6' 1.5" tall, with 36.5" inseam, so mostly legs. I run a 200mm dropper on my XL balance, but could probably get away with a 170. I ran a 150mm dropper on my L The One and had to lower the post in the clamp by an inch or more for the gnarlier trails. Ended up going to a 170mm dropper on my XL yelli for the same reason.

Not sure I want to go the SS route for DH. While I do spend most of my time in the 11T, sometimes an easier gear is desirable in the tech. I was at Whistler last week on my Jedi stuck in my 11T cog after breaking the derailleur cable, riding double black tech trails in the pouring rain. I got pitched head first down a steep rock chute after getting stalled out/hung up on a root when a single pedal stroke in an easier gear would have saved my bacon.
    No dig no whine