Thread: B+ on a Riot

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

B+ on a Riot

I put my 35mm Arc with 2.8 Rocket Ron in the back of my Riot and it fits, but barely. Maybe 1-2mm on DS. No room for error.

I saw on old threads many said they were running 35mm id with 2.8 no problem. And I know Canfield says this combo will fit.

Iím wondering if anybody can recommend a ďskinnyĒ 2.8 that would give me more space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Maxxis 2.8 tires fit better than Schwalbe in the Riot (and Balance) rear triangle, but it's still tight with a 35mm rim. The Rekon is probably a decent replacement for a Rocket Ron. Even with Maxxis' narrower tires, I ultimately switched to a 30mm internal width rim to get some space for peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbojet Megafred View Post
    Maxxis 2.8 tires fit better than Schwalbe in the Riot (and Balance) rear triangle, but it's still tight with a 35mm rim. The Rekon is probably a decent replacement for a Rocket Ron. Even with Maxxis' narrower tires, I ultimately switched to a 30mm internal width rim to get some space for peace of mind.
    Yep, Rekon is what I used on my Riot before ultimately going back to 29er. I had a Rekon in the back and a DHF up front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ran a WTB breakout on a 35mm internal width rim. Was a very large 2.5 tire, but one of the most frustrating to mount on the rims. My thumbs hurt just thinking about it.

But, it is a very durable tire and will give you a bit more clearance.

If I was doing it again though, I'd probably mount a Rekon or Ikon on the rear unless I need more durable sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a 35id rim and have used 2.8 Rekon and a 2.5 wtb Breakout. The Rekon measured out to 2.66 and the Breakout measured out to a true 2.5. Most of the maxxis 2.8 measure out in this range 2.6-2.69. I also run a Maxxis dhf 2.8 in front and that one also measures out to 2.66 on a 35 inner diameter rim.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The new 2.6 tires that actually measure out to 2.6 will also work the only one I'm sure of right now it's a 2.6 Nobby Nic measures out to right at 2.6 on a 35 inner diameter rim

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    The new 2.6 tires that actually measure out to 2.6 will also work the only one I'm sure of right now it's a 2.6 Nobby Nic measures out to right at 2.6 on a 35 inner diameter rim
    What about sidewall/overall height?

Iím concerned 2.6 tires will be too low in overall height since theyíre not true plus tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just an observation after putting my B+ wheelset from my N9 to measure B.B. drop.

2.35 Nobby Nic / Stanís Mk3 Flow
    BB height from floor = 320mm

2.8 Rocket Ron / Arc 35
    BB height from floor = 310mm

Only a 10mm drop

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The diameter with the Maxxis was 28.25. I am also using Canfield's shorter cranks, so no pedal strikes with the plus. I'm using 155mm, but anything shorter than what you have would work, if it's a concern

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My 2.8 Rocket Ron on Arc 35 is measuring to 71mm/2.795in, or basically 2.8 from out side the knobs.

It would be great if I can get a slightly thinner tire such as the Rekon 2.8

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

B+ on a Riot

Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    The diameter with the Maxxis was 28.25. I am also using Canfield's shorter cranks, so no pedal strikes with the plus. I'm using 155mm, but anything shorter than what you have would work, if it's a concern
    Iím using 170mm Canfield cranks.

Iíve never had a problem with pedal strikes after B+ing my N9 with 175mm cranks. I donít have all the numbers but I think (hope) based on my experience Iíd be ok as far as pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    I just converted my Riot to 650b+ with 35mm ID rims (Spank 395+) and am running a Maxxis Recon 2.8 out back and it's good to go.

The bike absolutely rips with 650b+ .

FWIW, I'm running the same rim up front with a Schwalbe NN 2.8 in a Fox 34 29er fork (non-boost) and it's good to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yogidave View Post
    I just converted my Riot to 650b+ with 35mm ID rims (Spank 395+) and am running a Maxxis Recon 2.8 out back and it's good to go.

The bike absolutely rips with 650b+ .

FWIW, I'm running the same rim up front with a Schwalbe NN 2.8 in a Fox 34 29er fork (non-boost) and it's good to go.
    What rim/tire setup were you running before?

Can you post more details about your impressions with B+?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    What rim/tire setup were you running before?

Can you post more details about your impressions with B+?

Prior to the 650b+ set up, I exclusively had the bike set up with 29er wheels (rim 30mm id, 2.4Ē tires).

The Riot has a high BB in 29er mode. The BB drop with 650b+ is about 0.4Ē-0.5Ē. So immediately, the lower BB causes more pedal strikes. Is this bad? No, but you do have to compensate.

Traction is fantastic and roll-over is only very slightly decreased vs 29.

Wheels are a little heavier, but for me, I was running super beefy 29er tires (1000gr/ea) on carbon rims laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs - a fairly light set up. Over all, I donít think itís too much of an issue. YMMV.

The geometry of the Riot is very flexible. Because if itís short wheelbase and high unsagged BB, the change to 650b+ feels natural. The bike already carves like mad and is even a bit better than on 29 wheels. It had one of my fastest DH times on a rocky DH trail a few weeks ago, so thereís that. Also, technical climbing is great despite the lower BB.

Overall, I love it

This is a work in progress and I was planning on switching BACK to 29 to validate my initial positive experience.

But, I took my self out of commission 10 days ago by throwing myself down the stairs in my house, braking 5 ribs and bruising a lung.

So, my total extensive review with back to back wheel sizes will have to wait.