B+ on a Riot

Printable View

• 06-17-2018
    racefit
    B+ on a Riot
    I put my 35mm Arc with 2.8 Rocket Ron in the back of my Riot and it fits, but barely. Maybe 1-2mm on DS. No room for error.

I saw on old threads many said they were running 35mm id with 2.8 no problem. And I know Canfield says this combo will fit.

Iím wondering if anybody can recommend a ďskinnyĒ 2.8 that would give me more space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 06-17-2018
    Turbojet Megafred
    Maxxis 2.8 tires fit better than Schwalbe in the Riot (and Balance) rear triangle, but it's still tight with a 35mm rim. The Rekon is probably a decent replacement for a Rocket Ron. Even with Maxxis' narrower tires, I ultimately switched to a 30mm internal width rim to get some space for peace of mind.
  • 06-18-2018
    cpolism
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbojet Megafred View Post
    Maxxis 2.8 tires fit better than Schwalbe in the Riot (and Balance) rear triangle, but it's still tight with a 35mm rim. The Rekon is probably a decent replacement for a Rocket Ron. Even with Maxxis' narrower tires, I ultimately switched to a 30mm internal width rim to get some space for peace of mind.

Yep, Rekon is what I used on my Riot before ultimately going back to 29er. I had a Rekon in the back and a DHF up front.
  • 06-18-2018
    TX_CLG
    I ran a WTB breakout on a 35mm internal width rim. Was a very large 2.5 tire, but one of the most frustrating to mount on the rims. My thumbs hurt just thinking about it.

But, it is a very durable tire and will give you a bit more clearance.

If I was doing it again though, I'd probably mount a Rekon or Ikon on the rear unless I need more durable sidewalls.
  • 06-18-2018
    jsalas2
    I have a 35id rim and have used 2.8 Rekon and a 2.5 wtb Breakout. The Rekon measured out to 2.66 and the Breakout measured out to a true 2.5. Most of the maxxis 2.8 measure out in this range 2.6-2.69. I also run a Maxxis dhf 2.8 in front and that one also measures out to 2.66 on a 35 inner diameter rim.
  • 06-18-2018
    jsalas2
    The new 2.6 tires that actually measure out to 2.6 will also work the only one I'm sure of right now it's a 2.6 Nobby Nic measures out to right at 2.6 on a 35 inner diameter rim
  • 06-18-2018
    racefit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    The new 2.6 tires that actually measure out to 2.6 will also work the only one I'm sure of right now it's a 2.6 Nobby Nic measures out to right at 2.6 on a 35 inner diameter rim

What about sidewall/overall height?

Iím concerned 2.6 tires will be too low in overall height since theyíre not true plus tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 06-19-2018
    racefit
    Just an observation after putting my B+ wheelset from my N9 to measure B.B. drop.

2.35 Nobby Nic / Stanís Mk3 Flow
    BB height from floor = 320mm

2.8 Rocket Ron / Arc 35
    BB height from floor = 310mm

Only a 10mm drop

• 06-19-2018
    jsalas2
    The diameter with the Maxxis was 28.25. I am also using Canfield's shorter cranks, so no pedal strikes with the plus. I'm using 155mm, but anything shorter than what you have would work, if it's a concern
  • 06-19-2018
    racefit
    My 2.8 Rocket Ron on Arc 35 is measuring to 71mm/2.795in, or basically 2.8 from out side the knobs.

It would be great if I can get a slightly thinner tire such as the Rekon 2.8

• 06-19-2018
    racefit
    B+ on a Riot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    The diameter with the Maxxis was 28.25. I am also using Canfield's shorter cranks, so no pedal strikes with the plus. I'm using 155mm, but anything shorter than what you have would work, if it's a concern

Iím using 170mm Canfield cranks.

Iíve never had a problem with pedal strikes after B+ing my N9 with 175mm cranks. I donít have all the numbers but I think (hope) based on my experience Iíd be ok as far as pedal strikes.

• 11-13-2018
    yogidave
    I just converted my Riot to 650b+ with 35mm ID rims (Spank 395+) and am running a Maxxis Recon 2.8 out back and it's good to go.

The bike absolutely rips with 650b+ .

FWIW, I'm running the same rim up front with a Schwalbe NN 2.8 in a Fox 34 29er fork (non-boost) and it's good to go.
  • 11-13-2018
    racefit
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yogidave View Post
    I just converted my Riot to 650b+ with 35mm ID rims (Spank 395+) and am running a Maxxis Recon 2.8 out back and it's good to go.

The bike absolutely rips with 650b+ .

FWIW, I'm running the same rim up front with a Schwalbe NN 2.8 in a Fox 34 29er fork (non-boost) and it's good to go.

What rim/tire setup were you running before?

Can you post more details about your impressions with B+?

• 11-14-2018
    yogidave
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    What rim/tire setup were you running before?

Can you post more details about your impressions with B+?

Prior to the 650b+ set up, I exclusively had the bike set up with 29er wheels (rim 30mm id, 2.4Ē tires).

The Riot has a high BB in 29er mode. The BB drop with 650b+ is about 0.4Ē-0.5Ē. So immediately, the lower BB causes more pedal strikes. Is this bad? No, but you do have to compensate.

Traction is fantastic and roll-over is only very slightly decreased vs 29.

Wheels are a little heavier, but for me, I was running super beefy 29er tires (1000gr/ea) on carbon rims laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs - a fairly light set up. Over all, I donít think itís too much of an issue. YMMV.

The geometry of the Riot is very flexible. Because if itís short wheelbase and high unsagged BB, the change to 650b+ feels natural. The bike already carves like mad and is even a bit better than on 29 wheels. It had one of my fastest DH times on a rocky DH trail a few weeks ago, so thereís that. Also, technical climbing is great despite the lower BB.

Overall, I love it

This is a work in progress and I was planning on switching BACK to 29 to validate my initial positive experience.

But, I took my self out of commission 10 days ago by throwing myself down the stairs in my house, braking 5 ribs and bruising a lung.

So, my total extensive review with back to back wheel sizes will have to wait.