any info on those new CANFIELD wheels?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: katsooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    452

    any info on those new CANFIELD wheels?

    those things looks very interesting!
    weight looks awesome, price is great, and it looks good!

    need more info
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,705
    I didnt know they make wheels, can someone fill me in with a link of some sort?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: katsooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    452
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: V.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,705
    ah, sorry, i feel silly now : )

  5. #5
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,365
    Id be interested to hear some more details on them.

    mainly:
    What hubs/rims are they using? (new ones or rebranded ones?)
    how many engagement points?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    97
    whoa...and I was looking into getting some new wheels! Details please!

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    921
    I'm interested too. It's pretty tough to compete pricewise with the ProII and 5.1 combo, but we'll see.

  8. #8
    Canfield Bikes
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    Id be interested to hear some more details on them.

    mainly:
    What hubs/rims are they using? (new ones or rebranded ones?)
    how many engagement points?
    The hubs are some that Chris has been on for two race seasons. The reason we picked them is the low friction of it and the durability of the hub.
    I have a set of Hadleys and some DT Swiss (both are 150x12 and 20mm) and Chris can coast away from me easily and I would need to pedal almost constantly to keep up. I weigh less so he can always coast away but when I trade him wheels, I can coast away from him. To me, that means alot. The hubs use four bearings so they spread the load better than 2 and the sealed bearings are tough, Chris raced them 2 seasons with no anything, no tightening or lube, nothing. The hub uses a steel Shimano 6 pawl freehub body so the cogs don't dig into the freehub and there easy to find at any local bike shop if you need to service it.
    The rims are also some that we have used for years and are some of the lightest and durable that we've used. They use shaping that adds stiffness and prevents flat spotting as well as having a fat lip to resist denting the edge.
    We have a new rim that we developed that will be coming out on our next run of wheels that will use all those features and also make it easier to run tubeless conversions. It will be a 30mm width and be aimed at DH, FR and AM riders that need a tough, tubeless yet light wheelset.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    921
    How many points of engagement?

    Sounds good on the shimano freehub. It would also be nice to buy cheepie cassettes again...

  10. #10
    Canfield Bikes
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    How many points of engagement?

    Sounds good on the shimano freehub. It would also be nice to buy cheepie cassettes again...
    There 6 points. Standard Shimano setup. Not sure what you mean by cheepie cassettes, they fit modern 8-9-10 speed cassettes. My point was that they are easy to find in a pinch, things only seem to go wrong when your a long way from the parts you need.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    The hubs are some that Chris has been on for two race seasons. The reason we picked them is the low friction of it and the durability of the hub.
    I have a set of Hadleys and some DT Swiss (both are 150x12 and 20mm) and Chris can coast away from me easily and I would need to pedal almost constantly to keep up. I weigh less so he can always coast away but when I trade him wheels, I can coast away from him. To me, that means alot. The hubs use four bearings so they spread the load better than 2 and the sealed bearings are tough, Chris raced them 2 seasons with no anything, no tightening or lube, nothing. The hub uses a steel Shimano 6 pawl freehub body so the cogs don't dig into the freehub and there easy to find at any local bike shop if you need to service it.
    The rims are also some that we have used for years and are some of the lightest and durable that we've used. They use shaping that adds stiffness and prevents flat spotting as well as having a fat lip to resist denting the edge.
    We have a new rim that we developed that will be coming out on our next run of wheels that will use all those features and also make it easier to run tubeless conversions. It will be a 30mm width and be aimed at DH, FR and AM riders that need a tough, tubeless yet light wheelset.
    any ETA on this next run of wheels?

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    There 6 points. Standard Shimano setup. Not sure what you mean by cheepie cassettes, they fit modern 8-9-10 speed cassettes. My point was that they are easy to find in a pinch, things only seem to go wrong when your a long way from the parts you need.
    Like I could use cheaper cassettes than paying up for a 990 or XT every time. It would be nice to spend $20 on cassettes again.

  13. #13
    ≈ > ♥
    Reputation: zahgurim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    956
    Interested in these new wheels. Will you sell the new rims separately as well?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    Interested in these new wheels. Will you sell the new rims separately as well?
    YES-
    We are getting 4 proto's of the custom rims this month.
    Should have everything ready to go by this spring.

    C2

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    440
    I just picked up a set and will be installing this week on my One. Would be happy to post pics when done.

    First observations: these wheels look great, and look to be made very well. They are not UST per-se, but looking at the rim it seems totally do-able to run tubleless with some gorilla tape. Spoke to Chris who has been running his set tubeless without issue.

    Comes with a huge sticker sheet to customize the graphics, otherwise the rims are completely black and devoid of graphics aside from four logos at each corner.

    I picked up the AM versions with anodized blue accents. They look great. I only wish there were other colors as ano blue doesn't match anything on my bike

    The rear hub is very quiet. I actually like that compared to my I9s which are super loud in comparison.

    For the money, they seem like an excellent option if you want a 12x135mm thru wheelset.

    Will provide an update when I have the bike setup and have been able to ride them.

    Props to Chris for taking the time to answer my questions on the phone prior to purchase as well. Excellent customer service

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: katsooba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    452
    any info on the number of engagement points on the rear hub?

    not pawls, but how many clicks does it have on a full turn?
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drsmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba
    any info on the number of engagement points on the rear hub?

    not pawls, but how many clicks does it have on a full turn?
    Google "Shimano freehub engagement points"






















    36

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drsmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    ... Not sure what you mean by cheepie cassettes, they fit modern 8-9-10 speed cassettes.
    Alloy FH bodies get all dinged up unless you run a (more expesive) cassette with a spider is what I think he was getting at.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by drsmonkey
    Alloy FH bodies get all dinged up unless you run a (more expesive) cassette with a spider is what I think he was getting at.
    We're with you on that. I made it a point NOT to put Aluminum FH bodies on the AM/FR's and DH wheelsets for that reason. We could have to make the wheelsets even lighter. But those Aluminum FH last about 2-3 months with cheeper cassettes, under DH and FR use.

    Although our 29er wheels have Aluminum-

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stn112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    53
    it looks like the only difference between the two DH sets is the weight and width. i really don't know anything about wheels other than i desperately need them in order for my bike to move. can someone explain to me the difference between 28mm and 32mm width? considering the 28mm is called race, i would assume these wheels are geared more towards the faster more aggressive riding and the 32mm for bigger hits?? i.e. more tire tread/surface area to the ground with the wider rims?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cSquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    354
    The 32mm are a bit tougher- just more metal. They also will fit up to a 2.7 with normal feel.
    The 28mm rims are a bit narrow for a 2.7. but at 175 grams lighter- a great fit for someone looking to lose some weight.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stn112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    53
    thanks cSquared. i think i'll have to pick up a set.... but i might wait for the new line this spring.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stn112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    53
    thanks cSquared. i think i'll have to pick up a set.... but i might wait for the new line this spring.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    169
    Well... it's spring!

    I am seriously considering getting a new set of wheels now but I really don't think I could wait around for long.

    Is the new line coming out any time soon?

  25. #25
    Canfield Bikes
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,111
    There on the web store. Everythings in stock.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    The hubs are some that Chris has been on for two race seasons. The reason we picked them is the low friction of it and the durability of the hub.
    I have a set of Hadleys and some DT Swiss (both are 150x12 and 20mm) and Chris can coast away from me easily and I would need to pedal almost constantly to keep up. I weigh less so he can always coast away but when I trade him wheels, I can coast away from him. To me, that means alot. The hubs use four bearings so they spread the load better than 2 and the sealed bearings are tough, Chris raced them 2 seasons with no anything, no tightening or lube, nothing. The hub uses a steel Shimano 6 pawl freehub body so the cogs don't dig into the freehub and there easy to find at any local bike shop if you need to service it.
    The rims are also some that we have used for years and are some of the lightest and durable that we've used. They use shaping that adds stiffness and prevents flat spotting as well as having a fat lip to resist denting the edge.
    We have a new rim that we developed that will be coming out on our next run of wheels that will use all those features and also make it easier to run tubeless conversions. It will be a 30mm width and be aimed at DH, FR and AM riders that need a tough, tubeless yet light wheelset.
    I meant the ones mentioned here. The 30mm version. They're not out yet right? I only see the DH Tough (32mm) and DH Race (28mm) on the web store.

    Thank you.

  27. #27
    Canfield Bikes
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,111
    Thats right, the 30mm rims aren't done. The Race wheels are out of stock and just a few DH tough left. More are in process. Snow is melting!! YEA

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: E_braker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    52
    So are the numbers on the wheels the inner width or outer width? (IE: 32=32mm inner?)
    I am assuming (and hoping) this is the inner as it is the more pertinent number.

    As an engineer, it is interesting to me the width of rim vs tire selection. Do you use a guideline of some sorts? Like tire width be between 1.45x - 2.0x the inner rim width?

    Also do you guys run/recomend tubes, Tubeless (just stans & rimtape) or Ghetto tubeless?

    Thanks in advance for the response! LOTS of resepect for the Canfield.

  29. #29
    Canfield Bikes
    Reputation: flymybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,111
    The sizing is based on what everyone else does, outer width. Theres only a small difference in inner widths based on how thick the wall is. Usually only 1 or 2mm different.

    The rim width VS tire size is based off experiance. A 32mm + rim is good for large, 2.5 to 2.8 tires. A smaller size like the Race wheels at 28mm max out with a 2.5 tire. You don't want the tire TOO round, you need a little bit of square/ sharp side knob edge to dig in.

    I think ghetto is the way to go. Install the tire and add the stans fluid, then use a squirt bottle to put a bead of sealant between the tube and the tire to "glue" it together. Then if you roll the tire you don't burp, you drag the tube with and keep all the air pressure. Better than UST and Stans, no offense, just saying.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: E_braker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    52
    thansk flymybike: Canfield is bringin' it strong in 2011.

  31. #31
    No Gansta Lean here.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,027
    Bump..... Rims only on the site?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    358
    Just spoke with Lance and he said wheelsets are in stock again ! All options. Weighed my DH race 20mm front yesterday....around 900 grams. Some of the lightest 20mm hubs on the market. Keep it up Canfield Bros.

  33. #33
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    We're with you on that. I made it a point NOT to put Aluminum FH bodies on the AM/FR's and DH wheelsets for that reason. We could have to make the wheelsets even lighter. But those Aluminum FH last about 2-3 months with cheeper cassettes, under DH and FR use.

    Although our 29er wheels have Aluminum-
    Not a good idea on 29'ers with their increased torque and lower rpms. Steel please. Will these hubs withstand xc use on a 29" wheels under a Clyde going up steep hills like in So Cal? I ask, because I've exploded few shimano freehubs as well as jeffj riding local trail around Los Angeles. Just saying... 29'ers are something else when it comes to strength needed in the drivetrain areas. Add in a Shimano 36 x 12 cassette, and things go boom!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    358
    alu vs. steel. Its such a fine line. While I guess I fit into the category of "rather have burlier", alot of people have become very weight concerned these days. While I agree on the alu freehub body, a nicer cassette will avoid any issues with marring. So at the end of the day, Its all about 50 grams weight savings or $30 for a steel freehub. Choose what works for you and your area, but dont forget these wheels are awesome for the price!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.