29 front 27.5 rear bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

29 front 27.5 rear bikes

Figured I would start a new tread because this is not specific to one bike. And Chris won the national championship on his Jedi with this set up. Congrats Chris.

I put my Balance rear wheel on my Riot. It was easy because they both have same cassette and brakes. And both have 2.5 DHF. Finally got a good ride in on it. I donít think I want to ride it with the 29er in the back again. It felt so much better jumping, drops and flying through the trees. The little hesitation, compared to the Balance, was gone in the corners. I climbed all the technical climbs just fine. First time I rode it I had a couple of pedals strikes, but got use to it on this second, longer ride. Running 165 cranks. Bottom bracket is lower, but that was a good thing for caving through the turns. Felt more in the bike. It might have lost a little traction and rollover on the climbs, but the benefits everywhere else far out way any negative. Love the way the 29 front feels rolling over things and the traction in the corners. Next is to put my Riotís Diamond fork back to 160mm travel and put it on the Balance. Itís a Ď16 Balance and not rated for that much axle to crown like the newer ones, but I have to try it. If it feels as good as the Riot did, then my next bike is a new Balance with a DVO Onyx SC 29er fork at 170mm travel. Then a Jedi with a dual crown 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Running riot in 29/27,5 setup for shuttle days.
    140mm durolux, -2įWC angleset, 2.6 29 front, 2.6 27.5 rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    Running riot in 29/27,5 setup for shuttle days.
    140mm durolux, -2įWC angleset, 2.6 29 front, 2.6 27.5 rear.
    It doesn't look that crazy, but that thing has to have like a 63 degree head angle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You went negative on the angle set? Park bike! Looks cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    It doesn't look that crazy, but that thing has to have like a 63 degree head angle.
    You are right. Just measured- 63.2į

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Figured I would start a new tread because this is not specific to one bike. And Chris won the national championship on his Jedi with this set up. Congrats Chris.

I put my Balance rear wheel on my Riot. It was easy because they both have same cassette and brakes. And both have 2.5 DHF. Finally got a good ride in on it. I donít think I want to ride it with the 29er in the back again. It felt so much better jumping, drops and flying through the trees. The little hesitation, compared to the Balance, was gone in the corners. I climbed all the technical climbs just fine. First time I rode it I had a couple of pedals strikes, but got use to it on this second, longer ride. Running 165 cranks. Bottom bracket is lower, but that was a good thing for caving through the turns. Felt more in the bike. It might have lost a little traction and rollover on the climbs, but the benefits everywhere else far out way any negative. Love the way the 29 front feels rolling over things and the traction in the corners. Next is to put my Riotís Diamond fork back to 160mm travel and put it on the Balance. Itís a Ď16 Balance and not rated for that much axle to crown like the newer ones, but I have to try it. If it feels as good as the Riot did, then my next bike is a new Balance with a DVO Onyx SC 29er fork at 170mm travel. Then a Jedi with a dual crown 29er.
    I also won Worlds on it.

DO it! Mullets feel awesome. I setup Kera's jedi with a 49er and she loves it- at 5'6".

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Chris congrats on worlds, that course looked crazy. I have a quick question, did you install a angle set or reduce the fork travel? What head angle are you running? I'm really interested in going mullet on my jedi but I wasn't sure what the best set up would be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah, Congrats on winning Worlds too! Thatís so badass. I know youíve been working on getting to the top of the podium for awhile. Glad you made it.

Chris replied in another thread that the Jedi didnít need an angle set. He said it was just right without it.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    I setup Kera's jedi with a 49er and she loves it- at 5'6".
    Just ordered up my 49 to do the same. Also ordered up a set of 49 lowers to convert a 27.5 40...hopefully I can get 190mm of travel out of it to mullet a Nomad 4.

PS...SWEET WINS Chris!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Note- I ran a mullet with a 40 and scraped all the mud and rocks off the tire for months. Only a couple of mm's clearance with it, but it works. FYI