Feb 2009

2021 Bikes

Will they happen?
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    Will they happen?
    I'm guessing you won't see bikes directly from Canfield... Look at the brands that are licensing their CBF platform, ie Revel Bikes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not a role model
    The frames were all pulled off their webstore, if that's any sign.

If anyone sees Canfield frames for sale pop up anywhere else, I'd like to know, since I still recommend these frames to others. I'm guessing the clearance sale from their site wasn't building enough revenue fast enough, so they did a sale to a reseller for a lump sum. Hope they still come with Topaz...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Unfortunately the used market seems to be the easiest way to get a Canfield frame right now. It would make sense if they sold the remaining frames for a lump sum. Hopefully they'll at lest keep some small parts around in the event something breaks (ie derailleur hangers, pivot bolts, etc).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm gonna keep holding my breath 😊

2 wheel drifter
    At the very least I hope service parts will be available. Retiring my Riot due to the inability to source a hanger or new pivot bolts would be a real bummer.

mtbr member since 1996
    I called a few weeks ago and was told new inventory around end of winter 2020. New 2020 models? Carbon? Same 2017 specs? Not sure, but inventory all the same.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    So that would be around March 2020?
    I may be in the market, my Riot frame is starting to show it's age.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nimble 9 page on Canfield web store says new products coming soon - maybe that rainbow oil slick frame?

Other frames don't have that same message though

SHOP NIMBLE 9 BOOST | Canfield Bikes Online Store

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm waiting for them as well. Have the Balance and everywhere I go, people comment how cool it is. Canfield bikes have a following. My buddies also ride Riots and Balance and say how they get lots of attention when they are on bike trips. Was up at Angel Fire last weekend and had quite a few "love your Canfield" compliments. Hope new bikes are in the future. Will be riding mine in the meantime.

mtbr member
    Official news release coming soon!!!! All I can say at the moment....sorry....

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Subscribed.

I'm with stupid
    me too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan View Post
    Official news release coming soon!!!! All I can say at the moment....sorry....
    Sorry for what?:-)
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Fingers crossed for a 29" Balance with slightly updated geo numbers (476 reach is just a touch short for 6'4 me. Doable, but a little closer to 500 would be grand).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Carbon Fiber 29" Jedi with 465+ reach and reasonable price !

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by saskskier View Post
    Fingers crossed for a 29" Balance with slightly updated geo numbers (476 reach is just a touch short for 6'4 me. Doable, but a little closer to 500 would be grand).
    If I had one gripe about my XL Riot it is the reach is just 476mm. 495-500 is with a 50mm stem is about perfect for me at 6’4”.

Carbon would be nice but my riot and the Ripmo AF show aluminum has a place and weight isn’t as important as I used to think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'd like to see the line split from 2 to 3, give me a 120/120mm, 29, 2.6 modern geo trail ripper that'd be faster than a Riot on flatter trails, a 150mm 29er between the Riot and the Balance, and a bigger balance park bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    I'd like to see the line split from 2 to 3, give me a 120/120mm, 29, 2.6 modern geo trail ripper that'd be faster than a Riot on flatter trails, a 150mm 29er between the Riot and the Balance, and a bigger balance park bike.
    I hope to see more modular options for the same bike different shock and forks for different situations, maybe different rear triangles. More economical for both company and consumer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    27.5 option for those that don't get along with 29ers...

Not a role model
    I dunno about these requests for extra reach. I recommend the Riot to others specifically because of its short WB, and how everything's balanced to make it handle well (short CS to make the front more lofty, and a steep STA to keep weight on the front when seated).

If you want the WB the same, how do you get extra reach? Steepen the HA? Is that a worthwhile trade-off? Trading off the WB instead, to be longer, changes the bike's attitude to be less agile and playful. A steep HA arguably keeps bikes nimble (and raises the stack, which I suppose helps for tall guys riding steep STA bikes). I'd be recommending a short offset fork to make the steep HA work though. Another option would be an elevated CS and superboost rear axle, to push BB back (shorter CS), maybe gaining 5-10mm reach. Lengthening the front, without the rear also lengthening upsets the balance too... hate for riders to be burdened even more with weighting the front to corner with speed.

My only request is 210mm dropper compatibility, and to retain everything else, from press-in headset cups, non-trunnion shock, threaded BB, etc. for compatibility. RD mount sounds like an interesting compatibility question (SRAM universal, Shimano DM, etc.), as are brake mounts (flat, IS, PM). Turner has the neatest cable routing in the industry, IMO, if you want ideas how to improve that area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    I dunno about these requests for extra reach. I like recommend the Riot to others specifically because of its short WB, and how everything's balanced to make it handle well (short CS to make the front more lofty, and a steep STA to keep weight on the front when seated).

If you want the WB the same, how do you get extra reach? Steepen the HA? Is that a worthwhile trade-off? Trading off the WB instead, to be longer, changes the bike's attitude to be less agile and playful. A steep HA arguably keeps bikes nimble (and raises the stack, which I suppose helps for tall guys riding steep STA bikes). Another option would be an elevated CS and superboost rear axle, to get CS as tucked as possible, maybe gaining 5mm reach.
    I think you could stretch things out a little for us extra tall folks and still keep it super balanced and playful. While it handles like a dj bike, at the end of the day, it's still a trail bike and needs to be rideable. I'm not advocating for a Nicolai, but it would be nice to feel like I'm not sitting on top of the bike as much as I am now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    I dunno about these requests for extra reach. I recommend the Riot to others specifically because of its short WB, and how everything's balanced to make it handle well (short CS to make the front more lofty, and a steep STA to keep weight on the front when seated).

If you want the WB the same, how do you get extra reach? Steepen the HA? Is that a worthwhile trade-off? Trading off the WB instead, to be longer, changes the bike's attitude to be less agile and playful. A steep HA arguably keeps bikes nimble (and raises the stack, which I suppose helps for tall guys riding steep STA bikes). I'd be recommending a short offset fork to make the steep HA work though. Another option would be an elevated CS and superboost rear axle, to push BB back (shorter CS), maybe gaining 5-10mm reach. Lengthening the front, without the rear also lengthening upsets the balance too... hate for riders to be burdened even more with weighting the front to corner with speed.

My only request is 210mm dropper compatibility, and to retain everything else, from press-in headset cups, non-trunnion shock, threaded BB, etc. for compatibility. RD mount sounds like an interesting compatibility question (SRAM universal, Shimano DM, etc.), as are brake mounts (flat, IS, PM). Turner has the neatest cable routing in the industry, IMO, if you want ideas how to improve that area.
    3 -4 years ago 66° HTA wasn't on a trail bike. If Canfield pushes the envelope a little more and keeps the short Chainstays their customers love. Instead of following the keyboard pecking of people who would be happier on another brand. They'll keep selling bikes. So far they've been short in WB and chainstays then most brands.

Not a role model
    Just saying that you gotta understand what you're asking for and how they'd go about fulfilling it.

I want to see the Riot stay as a riot to ride. Nothing else on the market like it. Just putting out my reason why I don't want to see these trendy things being taken too far.

I can't argue that it would maybe be exciting for Canfield to release a long WB Enduro model, but do you really just want a copy of what's trendy with CBF? I want to see American design philosophy make a come-back... something made to be to user serviceable and made to last. I'm happy to see people holding onto Canfields for a long while, getting a long lifetime of hard use out of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wouldn't mind a little longer reach or a shorter standover. At 6'0 and on a 2015 large, a 150mm dropper is slightly too much, and the reach being a bit longer would be nice. If the standover was shorter, I could just size to a XL. I just feel a bit cramped on longer 40 mile rides at the end of it.

For a 4wd reference. I want a CJ6, not a suzuki samurai and not an F250. No excess in the rear, just long enough to be stable and fun.

That being said, if the riot was released today, I'd still buy another one.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Subbed...
    Shorter ST lengths so people can upsize if they want longer reach. Love my large N9, but hate that I can only fit a 75-100mm dropper

mtbr member
    The bike Canfield was teasing before they went silent had a carbon front triangle with an aluminum rear triangle. Canfield was going to offer 2 rear triangles with the choice of long or short chainstays. I don't remember if they ever released the geometry. They have also been recently teasing a new Nimble9.

If an announcement is being made soon, I'm sure most details have already been decided.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Subscribed! Sold my Balance last winter in hopes of jumping on the new crop of bikes.....and they never came.....Someone sell me their XL Raw Riot frame asap!
    Scott Ransom 910/Evil Insurgent/Chromag Primer...always wanting more!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    Subscribed! Sold my Balance last winter in hopes of jumping on the new crop of bikes.....and they never came.....Someone sell me their XL Raw Riot frame asap!
    If you can make do with large I've got a very nice raw riot available. I'm off the bike for a while do to injury and am hoping to get back to riding on a new build.

This news from Canfield is great, I had all but given up on the idea that my next frame would be a Canfield. Really looking forward to seeing the geo once the models are announced.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I feel like the Large would be too short in the reach category....I'm only 6'1 ish, but have been riding super long reach bikes for 6 years. I'll look at the reach #'s again and let you know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    Maybe... I've got mine (xl raw) for sale as a complete, but now I'm kind of wondering if I should hold out for a bit to see what's coming and if I could get away with just selling the frame...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Have you seen @ webstore?
    Name:  balance.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  17.1 KB

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sorry, I was too late... haven't read here and it has happened 4d ago....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I know its hard to make a decision without knowing what they're bringing out. I'll keep an eye out I might be interested in your frame if you go that route.

2 wheel drifter
    I'm happy with the geo of the Riot, so my only request would be slower wear on the shock rear bushing and pivots that are even easier to service and maintain. Perhaps some nice grease ports, seals, etc.

mtbr member
    Has anyone noticed that the Canfield website cover picture has changed to not include Chris anymore? Nor does he even feature in the company's profile page? I guess the split is official now

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Now it's all making sense! I was pretty sure that maybe Lance just went on to newer things and Canfield was dead once I saw Chris riding the Revel. My ASSumption was that there were some legal things Chris had to wait to expire and then he'd announce his being part of Revel. Maybe I'm 1/2 right, or 1/2 wrong....and Lance is continuing Canfield and Chris is going to be some part of Revel. Either way both dudes are super good peeps. I've never met either personally, but ride with guys who know them well and swear both are awesome! So....however it works out...maybe I'll own a new Canfield and a Revel next year. N+2 is where it's at but I'll support the Bros for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Logo on the website now ready "Canfield Bikes" rather than "Canfield Brothers" also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep...read the "Company" tab. Just Lance and Sean. But it's cool that he still credits Chris as well. Big things to come hopefully! And...just maybe... an Awesome Raw Aluminum 29" Balance with short chainstays. Better get your $$ ready as it also mentions that the frames are produced in limited quantities. They could sell out quickly!