2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!

Hey, Everyone!

Thanks for all the support since our announcement earlier this month!

It truly means the world to us and keeps us going as we work to bring you more two-wheeled awesomeness. On that note, Iím stoked to bring you our first new bike announcement as well as pre-order options for an exclusive one-time-only price and other exclusive Black Friday deals!

Weíre proud to announce the first new bike of 2020: the 5th Generation of our iconic steel hardtail, the Nimble 9. The N9 is quite possibly the most fun you can have on a hardtail, and Iím excited to share it with you before anyone else!

Scroll down to get the quick and dirty on the new N9, find out how you can pre-order now for a one-time-only low price.

See ya on the trails!

Cheers,
    -Lance

2020 NIMBLE 9

For 2020, the Nimble 9 sees refreshed geometry across all sizes as well as all-new two-tone, pinstriped paint in five retro-inspired color combinations.

Handcrafted in small batches, the Nimble 9 is a steel all-mountain hardtail built to get rowdy and designed to accommodate 29-inch, 29-plus or 27.5-plus wheels with up to 2.8-inch tires. Combining the revered ride quality of 4130 chromoly steel with vertically compliant, radial-bent chainstays and updated aggressive all-mountain geometry, the Nimble 9 challenges preconceptions of mountain bikes with both big wheels and rigid rear-ends.

PRE-ORDER NOW

Weíve been redefining the way 29ers ride since the revolutionary Yelli Screamy (the first production 29er with sub-17-inch chainstays) was introduced in 2011, and the latest N9 is no exception. A slack 66-degree head-angle keeps things confident when you venture where no hardtail should, and short chainstays (adjustable down to 16.4-inches via sliding dropouts) make sure the Nimble 9 lives up to its name.

Combined with updated sizing that adds more than an inch of reach to each size from the previous generation, the N9 might just be the most fun and capable hardtail on the market.

In addition, all sizes see a shorter seat tube to better fit todayís longer dropper posts and and provide more maneuverability when you drop the saddle and let gravity take over. Chainstay yokes have also been redesigned for added stiffness and durability.

The Nimble 9 is such a fun, versatile bike. Whether youíre building it as a single-speed, a bikepacking rig or just a playful, all-mountain hardtail, this bike brings the party to the trail.

Available in Mantis Green, Night Sky Blue, Mud Puddle Brown, Race Car Red and RAD Pink in S, M, L and XL, the 2020 Nimble 9 will retail for $799.99 and is available now on pre-order at CanfieldBikes.com. Frame, fork and headset bundles are also available.

Canfield Nimble 9 Features

• 29″ All Mountain
    • 4130 chromoly steel
    • Radial-bent chainstays tuned for a compliant ride
    • Increased reach and shorter seat tube
    • 66į head angle (w/ 150mm fork)
    • Custom sliding Boost 148mm x 12mm rear dropouts, axle included
    • Adjustable 417mm to 433mm chainstays
    • Clearance for up to 2.8 tires
    • Singlespeed-able
    • Stealth cable routing
    • ISCG 05 chain guide mount
    • Custom two-tone paint
    • Frame weight: 6 lbs
    • ED Black treated for superior corrosion resistance
    • Removable direct mount front derailleur block
    • Two water bottle bosses
    • Includes Headset + Seat Clamp

Canfield 2020 Nimble 9 Geo ( Based on 150mm fork, 563mm Axle to Crown)
    Top Tube Length (Effective)* 570mm 597mm 625mm 652mm
    Reach 425mm 450mm 475mm 500mm
    Stack* 634mm 638mm 648mm 656mm
    Standover Height* 745mm 780mm 800mm 830mm
    Seat Tube Length 370mm 405mm 445mm 490mm
    Wheel Base* 1156mm 1183mm 1212mm 1241mm
    Head Tube Angle 66į 66į 66į 66į
    Seat Tube Angle (Effective) 77į 77į 77į 77į
    Chainstay Length 415-430mm 415-430mm 415-430mm 415-430mm
    Bottom Bracket Drop 50mm 50mm 50mm 50mm
    Head Tube length 100mm 105mm 115mm 125mm

ABOUT CANFIELD BIKES
    Canfield Bikes produces the most sought after high-performanceóand funóbikes and components available. Having continually refined the principles of suspension design and frame geometry ever since Lance's first handbuilt bikes went on to be Rampage and World Cup tested, the brand remains on the cutting edge of what is possible between two wheels. Produced in limited quantities to exacting standards and backed by a commitment to personal customer service and a hands-on approach, you wonít find anything quite like a Canfield bike. For more information, visit CanfieldBikes.com.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-nimble9-night-sky-hq.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-2020-canfield-n9-colors.jpg  

Last edited by Canfield Bikes; 08-03-2020 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Cool! when is the 2020 Riot coming

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    All right!! What does that weigh in at. The EPO has me spoiled.
    Last edited by scycllerist; 11-29-2019 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Any more specific insight on delivery timelines? Like Spring as in March, or Spring as in June?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Effective top tube lengths across sizes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your bike sucks
    Great looking frames and good on you for offering a deal. Glad you're back!
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Iíll second chowdapilotís request.

The bikes look nice.

mtbr member
    Glad to see new Canfield bikes, but that HTA is steep for a modern hardtail. Sagged that's like ~68 degrees which is pretty steep these days.

Unless that HTA is after sag. If so than 66 degrees would be great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rider/Builder/Hacker
    Nov 2015
    I'll 3rd chowdapilot's request, add stack, and confirmation of HTA measured static/unloaded or at sag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'd want to use 140mm forks for heavier guy trail use.

Canfield Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by scycllerist View Post
    All right!! What does that weigh in at. The EPO has me spoiled.
    It's +/- 6lbs depending on size. I love my EPO but the new short seat tube and slack HA on the N9 is going to be fun.
    https://canfieldbikes.com/
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

Canfield Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by buggravy View Post
    Any more specific insight on delivery timelines? Like Spring as in March, or Spring as in June?
    It's a bit early for giving a solid delivery date but what I can say is frames will be done by the end of Feb, then going to paint and packaging before shipping them to the US. We are shooting for the end of March. As we get closer I will be able to give a firm delivery date.
    www.mtbparks.com

Canfield Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Effective top tube lengths across sizes?

I'll be posting up a complete geo chart soon.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would really be keen to pre-order but without complete geo so I know which size, I'd be hard pressed - altho I suspect I'd be able to make the proper change once full geo's released?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hopefully they'll hold the Friday price a few more days foe folks to decide.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Glad to see new Canfield bikes, but that HTA is steep for a modern hardtail. Sagged that's like ~68 degrees which is pretty steep these days.

Unless that HTA is after sag. If so than 66 degrees would be great.
    Do other companies list sagged HTA for hardtails? I don't recall ever seeing that

mtbr member
    Can I run 160 fork. Effective top tube, bottom bracket height & stand over height? 160 fork 65 degree head 77 degree Seat maybe? 5í7Ē small or medium. My fully evil calling is a medium fits me well.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    The colors are great
    Any olans for glow in the dark colors?
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Much of a Canfield fan as I am, and was waiting to put in an order for this frame, sad to say I can't really agree with these colors... looks like I'll have to pass on this amazing pre-order price

Hoping for more colors in the future, hopefully a return to metallic finishes. Even that rainbow oil slick one that was teased on FB is above these two-tone paint finishes to me.

Chrome would be very tempting, or perhaps even some translucent candy colors?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The look great to me! Any more info on the steel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Yes, designed for 140-160 fork.

Will have full geo soon. At 5'7" you could go small with the longer reach on the new bikes, but probably medium. Personal preference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Are the frames that are pictured 4th Gen N9s with the new colors overlaid? Just visually curious...

Really looking forward to seeing a 5th Gen all built up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Not on this run, but you never know!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    What about a seat tube size and minimal fork? I have a DVO sapphire that'd work well and look great on that brown.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    We've updated the geo chart in the original post with a few more specsógive 'er a look!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scoon View Post
    The look great to me! Any more info on the steel?
    It's a high-quality 4130 chromoly. Comparable to Reynolds tubing.

The ride quality is really the highlight. Compared to an aluminum or carbon hard tail, the N9 truly has a noticeably more compliant ride, especially with our radial bent stays which are designed to absorb impact and damp vibration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by snox700 View Post
    Are the frames that are pictured 4th Gen N9s with the new colors overlaid? Just visually curious...

Really looking forward to seeing a 5th Gen all built up!
    Since this bike is still in production, the color comps we have were created using the previous gen as a base.

We can't wait to build this up and share it with you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    What about a seat tube size and minimal fork? I have a DVO sapphire that'd work well and look great on that brown.
    Seat tube is 30.9 and we recommend 140mm to 160mm fork.

The brown is one of our favorites!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by greddyvox View Post
    Much of a Canfield fan as I am, and was waiting to put in an order for this frame, sad to say I can't really agree with these colors... looks like I'll have to pass on this amazing pre-order price

Hoping for more colors in the future, hopefully a return to metallic finishes. Even that rainbow oil slick one that was teased on FB is above these two-tone paint finishes to me.

Chrome would be very tempting, or perhaps even some translucent candy colors?
    Bummer! You can't please everyone every time. We had so many colors we really liked and it was hard to narrow it down. We definitely are big fans of the sparkle metallic finishes as well, but wanted to change it up a bit and have something new and fresh.

Hopefully we'll have something else soon that catches your eye...

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    I would really be keen to pre-order but without complete geo so I know which size, I'd be hard pressed - altho I suspect I'd be able to make the proper change once full geo's released?
    Yes, if you pre-order and decide to change before things ship, that's not a problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Canfield Bikes View Post
    Bummer! You can't please everyone every time. We had so many colors we really liked and it was hard to narrow it down. We definitely are big fans of the sparkle metallic finishes as well, but wanted to change it up a bit and have something new and fresh.

Hopefully we'll have something else soon that catches your eye...
    Holding my breath!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I just built up an NS Eccentric Aluminum. Fortunately I preordered this frame to battle the ďI want betterĒ. Super nice online experience. The Red and White is just so.... YUP. Iím not a big roller, but this one will fit my red carbon rims...lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ordered a blue/black frame with the blue dvo fork to match the other day. Absolutely stoked! Hoping to fit a 29x3 xr2 or chronicle out back with a 29x3 DHF up front.

The mud brown looked so awesome but the blue frame and DVO fork was too good to pass up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Radóstoked for you! Going to be a killer looking combo.

We officially recommend a 2.8 in the rear to allow mud/debris clearance, but the actual clearance is 80mm (3.15 in). Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan View Post
    Ordered a blue/black frame with the blue dvo fork to match the other day. Absolutely stoked! Hoping to fit a 29x3 xr2 or chronicle out back with a 29x3 DHF up front.

The mud brown looked so awesome but the blue frame and DVO fork was too good to pass up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Radóstoked for you! Going to be a killer looking combo.

We officially recommend a 2.8 in the rear to allow mud/debris clearance, but the actual clearance is 80mm (3.15 in). Hope that helps!
    Awesome. I'm hoping with a stiff wheelset and 35mm width, it'll be just enough! In the Arizona desert, mud is rarely an issue, phew!

I'll definitely report back with my results. Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Awesome!

Awesome. I'm hoping with a stiff wheelset and 35mm width, it'll be just enough! In the Arizona desert, mud is rarely an issue, phew!

I'll definitely report back with my results. Can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    [QUOTE=barefootdan;14532221]Ordered a blue/black frame with the blue dvo fork to match the other day. Absolutely stoked! Hoping to fit a 29x3 xr2 or chronicle out back with a 29x3 DHF up front.

The mud brown looked so awesome but the blue frame and DVO fork was too good to pass up.[/QUOTE

yep, that mud brown is sweet. I had a hard time passing it for Red/white.
    got an email from Canfield today, wonít be long! Slx 12speed 4pot, Z1 build forthcoming!

mtbr member
    Are they giving any more details on an ETA?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Are they giving any more details on an ETA?
    No real firm eta, early spring according to email. Gives me time to get microspline, dropper, etc ready. And time to sell a bike or 3.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Excited to see some of these get built up! I've been toying around with the idea of upgrading from my Niner ROS 9, this one may be in the lead at the moment...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    How does sizing compare to the Yelli? I rode a size large for a few years until I switched to full suspension because my feet took a beating during endurance races. I want to build up a SS hardtail with this frame.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Racecar Red and fork. I'm beyond stoked for this thing. Does anyone know how big of a tire the Diamond will fit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Just ordered a Racecar Red and fork. I'm beyond stoked for this thing. Does anyone know how big of a tire the Diamond will fit?
    I think 29x3 fits fine. Are you thinking of that or something fatter?

mtbr member
    I think 29x3 fits fine. Are you thinking of that or something fatter?
    I was thinking of running 2.6s. I couldn't find anything official from DVO on tire clearance, and I know the non-boost had some really bad clearance issues.

I have always run 2.4s and would be happy to do the same on the new N9, but thought 2.6s might be a good choice with the tire choices out there now. Sounds like that won't be an issue.

Canfield Bikes
    The tire opening on the N9 frame is 80mm. Up to a 2.8" tire is going to fit nice, a 3" tire will start getting tight, I'd recommend against running 3" tires, there's just very little room for mud or a slightly off wheel.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    I was thinking of running 2.6s. I couldn't find anything official from DVO on tire clearance, and I know the non-boost had some really bad clearance issues.

I have always run 2.4s and would be happy to do the same on the new N9, but thought 2.6s might be a good choice with the tire choices out there now. Sounds like that won't be an issue.
    I'm running a Specialized Butcher 2.6 on my non-boost Diamond and it squeezes in there with a little room...though I can't run it with the fender.

mtbr member
    Has anyone seen updates on the delivery dates for the N9?? I'm chomping at the bit over here and riding season is kicking off...

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    We're on track for early/mid May! Getting close!

(If you've pre-ordered, you should be getting update emails).

Has anyone seen updates on the delivery dates for the N9?? I'm chomping at the bit over here and riding season is kicking off...

mtbr member
    We're on track for early/mid May! Getting close!

(If you've pre-ordered, you should be getting update emails).
    Thanks for the update. I pre-ordered long ago but hadnt seen any emails besides the ones for new models coming out. Is the mid May date shipping out to us or is that the frames coming in and still needing paint?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    That date is for shipping to you. We expect to receive everything to our warehouse early May and start getting pre-orders out ASAP!

Anyone with a pre-order should have received an update email around April 1.

Thanks for the update. I pre-ordered long ago but hadnt seen any emails besides the ones for new models coming out. Is the mid May date shipping out to us or is that the frames coming in and still needing paint?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Got my 16 n9 awaiting transplant, going b+ Cant wait! Only wish i had a headset press

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Can't wait to see what you your build will be! Such a fun frame for building a plus bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenkeep View Post
    Got my 16 n9 awaiting transplant, going b+ Cant wait! Only wish i had a headset press

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I bought my mud puddle brown N9 to match my Caldors shirt:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-dynamicimagehandler_3ea97d7e-4da0-4b10-993f-1ff2384e5f96.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-nimble9-mud-puddle_1024x1024%402x.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    THAT is going to be a killer combo!

Quote Originally Posted by GEF_4 View Post
    I bought my mud puddle brown N9 to match my Caldors shirt:

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are we still on track for a 1st half of May delivery?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also very interested to know this.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Any updates on the 1st batch? Iím about to order a Cherry XL but want confirmation a 29x2.8 truly fits.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Me too, Iím getting restless with not knowing when I will have my N9

mtbr member
    Interested to know when stock arrives, too. I'm not the pre-order type...

The newest N9 ticks all of the boxes for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Canfield responded to my email. They're expecting to receive the frames mid June then will send them out. Not sure how long that will take.

mtbr member
    Good to know. Preeesh and thank. Now to see how patient I can be! :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hey, everyone.

We apologize for the radio silence but have been chasing several moving pieces and didn't want to give inaccurate updates or go back on our word if things changed again.

Obviously there has been a delay (and you can probably guess why), but we are SO CLOSE.

Thanks for sticking with us.

Details (and bikes) coming shortly...

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Yes, 2.8 fits with ease. Exact space between the stays is 80mm, which is close to 3.25, so even a 3.0 will fit, but we recommend max 2.8 to allow for mud clearance and the variance between tire brands/tread patterns for claimed width.

Any updates on the 1st batch? Iím about to order a Cherry XL but want confirmation a 29x2.8 truly fits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchbanker View Post
    Canfield responded to my email. They're expecting to receive the frames mid June then will send them out. Not sure how long that will take.
    That appears to only be for the second batch. The first batch (two-tone/pinstripe) is now slated for July.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's a bummer!

I feel your pain, though. I ordered this frame to replace a broken frame on my main bike. My only other mountain bike is a rigid single speed. It's a fun sometimes bike but a crappy only bike around here where many of the trails are steep. I'm very eagerly awaiting my new frame. It is a little frustrating that the shop that ordered it for me called Canfield in the end of April to confirm the shipping date and they said I should have it by now, but I guess there's not much we can do about it. Hope it shows up soon and is as good as I imagine it will be.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So the 2nd batch ships before the 1st? Seems odd but possibly due to the less elaborate paint job?

mtbr member
    So the 2nd batch ships before the 1st? Seems odd but possibly due to the less elaborate paint job?
    Yup.

mtbr member
    That's a bummer!

I feel your pain, though. I ordered this frame to replace a broken frame on my main bike. My only other mountain bike is a rigid single speed. It's a fun sometimes bike but a crappy only bike around here where many of the trails are steep. I'm very eagerly awaiting my new frame. It is a little frustrating that the shop that ordered it for me called Canfield in the end of April to confirm the shipping date and they said I should have it by now, but I guess there's not much we can do about it. Hope it shows up soon and is as good as I imagine it will be.
    I'm in the same boat...but I temporarily threw an old Bomber 44 Ti fork on the rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Are we taking bets whether the new July date will stand?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Trying to be an optimist, my rigid ss worked on whopping my ass into better shape this morning and helped me practice being more fluid. Of course, the optimism can only last so long...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Would it be crazy to build up a N9 as straight non-plus 27.5" (with a 29er fork) for jump lines, trails, and hooning around the neighborhood? The thought of sharing wheels/tires with my Balance is attractive.

The smaller wheel drops the BB by ~20mm, and running the fork at 160mm gets a few mm of that back. There are plenty of hardtails out there with 305-310mm static BBs (Kona Honzo comes to mind), and I already run 165mm cranks.

Again, not crazy, right?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No idea but it may work of you're running 27.5 by 2.6 tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Would it be crazy to build up a N9 as straight non-plus 27.5" (with a 29er fork) for jump lines, trails, and hooning around the neighborhood? The thought of sharing wheels/tires with my Balance is attractive.

The smaller wheel drops the BB by ~20mm, and running the fork at 160mm gets a few mm of that back. There are plenty of hardtails out there with 305-310mm static BBs (Kona Honzo comes to mind), and I already run 165mm cranks.

Again, not crazy, right?
    Try just the rear wheel. Really like how the Riot rides with Balance rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Looking for any Nimble 9 owners! please PM me if you get a chance. seeking advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_VA View Post
    Looking for any Nimble 9 owners! please PM me if you get a chance. seeking advice.
    Why the secrecy?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_VA View Post
    please PM me. seeking advice.
    If the rash lasts more than 7 days see a doctor

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Seems to be the case. I'm a bit frustrated to be sure as it means I'll have to rent a bike for an upcoming trip. A few days of that adds up. Almost cancelled my order and ordered a RSD, but decided to stick with the Nimble. I have a small biz as well, so I know that every order really does count.

On the plus side, it gave me the time to track down the fork I really wanted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have also been considering cancelling the order. I placed the order through a local shop who was told it should be in yesterday (second due date I was given). It isn't. I don't have a fleet of bicycles and when my last bike frame broke I was stuck with rigid ss. It's a great sometimes bike but it's been my only bike for over 3 months. When the bike shop told me they thought this would be a good frame for me I told them I wanted to know covid wouldn't postpone it too much. They gave me about a month until shipping. That would have been end of may. Then it was June 20th. Still no bike. I missed a lot of riding. I really want this bike and I want to support a small company, but I'm thinking of cancelling my order and getting something off Craigslist. I'd love to hear that I have my panties in a twist over nothing and am overreacting and that my frame will be here this week. I've just been without for so long. Seeing how quick Canfield was to post their new pedals I feel like they would be all over talking about it if they had shipped. It's frustrating. End rant.

mtbr member
    May 2005

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!

If it helps, I heard the 1st shipment of frames is scheduled to land in the coming days. Also I have a good friend in the bike industry and he has confirmed, getting space on cargo ships these days is almost impossible. Limited space and high demand has created frustration for buyers and manufacturers alike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I don't think you're being unreasonable. It's not 100% their fault, but I do think they led people on a bit about the timeline. In mid-April they said everything was on track, but they would of known by then that a delay was at least possible and could of given folks a heads up.

I'd be okay if my frame was shipping soon with the first wave, but my frustration stems from the pinstripe frames taking so much longer despite being the earliest orders. I'm sticking it out, but it's definitely frustrating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Tough times for everyone including companies. Iíd imagine theyíre pulling their hair out dealing with constant change on things they have no control over.

Stick it out, itíll be worth it.

Best bikes Iíve ever had.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hopefully some production pics soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, there probably isnít anything on Craigslist or Pinkbike, the used market is as depleted as the new market.

You could look around for something equivalent that is in stock, Chromag, Kona, RSD.

In the end, itís just a hardtail, the magic is limited.

I have also been considering cancelling the order. I placed the order through a local shop who was told it should be in yesterday (second due date I was given). It isn't. I don't have a fleet of bicycles and when my last bike frame broke I was stuck with rigid ss. It's a great sometimes bike but it's been my only bike for over 3 months. When the bike shop told me they thought this would be a good frame for me I told them I wanted to know covid wouldn't postpone it too much. They gave me about a month until shipping. That would have been end of may. Then it was June 20th. Still no bike. I missed a lot of riding. I really want this bike and I want to support a small company, but I'm thinking of cancelling my order and getting something off Craigslist. I'd love to hear that I have my panties in a twist over nothing and am overreacting and that my frame will be here this week. I've just been without for so long. Seeing how quick Canfield was to post their new pedals I feel like they would be all over talking about it if they had shipped. It's frustrating. End rant.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There are a couple on Craigslist in my neck of the woods. I want to support a small business, but am trying to figure out where that crosses the line of wanting a bike to ride. I plan on waiting a little longer, I just get frustrated with the situation. I'd really love an update.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hey, everyone! We hear you and understand the frustration. We've done our best to share accurate updates, but everything seems subject to change with everything going on in the world right now.

The good news is the bikes hit the port in CA earlier this week, were cleared through customs and are on the way to our warehouse! We expect to see them early next week, then we'll be packing and shipping to YOU.

NEW BIKE DAY IS CLOSE!

Pinstripe N9s are a few weeks behind...we're bummed on that, but didn't expect that sweet paint job to take so much extra time.

Thanks for your support, patience and understanding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you for the updates

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

2020 METALLIC NIMBLE 9s ARE IN STOCK AND SHIPPING!

2020 METALLIC NIMBLE 9s ARE IN STOCK AND SHIPPING!

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-106380016_3352368244796817_558477161778098429_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-107092521_3352368491463459_240606905722072068_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-107637461_3352368594796782_4360196915472921035_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-107804864_3352368118130163_4500977989046213577_o.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Sick. Great looking bike,Canfield.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    More pics please, donít hold back on us!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    After your done shipping them out, of course.

mtbr member
    The concept of this bike is appealing to me, but only as a 29 plus. I have a Stache currently and love it, but having a bit more slack would be ideal I think. Thinking of ordering up a new Nimble 9 and swapping Stache parts over. I need to know if this bike can handle 3.0/2.8 tire in rear with i45 rims. I can swap my Yari fork over and run 3.0 in the front with 130/140mm travel.
    The Stache is being discontinued soon and so just looking at replacement options. I really like the 29+ hard tail for most of the places I ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Yes, 2.8 fits with ease. Exact space between the stays is 80mm, which is close to 3.25, so even a 3.0 will fit, but we officially recommend 2.8 to allow for mud clearance and the variance between tire brands/tread patterns for claimed width.

We designed the bike around a 150mm fork with 66-degree head angle. But it is compatible with 140-160mm. Looks like 140mm would still be slightly slacker than the Stache with Trek's stock setup.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    The concept of this bike is appealing to me, but only as a 29 plus. I have a Stache currently and love it, but having a bit more slack would be ideal I think. Thinking of ordering up a new Nimble 9 and swapping Stache parts over. I need to know if this bike can handle 3.0/2.8 tire in rear with i45 rims. I can swap my Yari fork over and run 3.0 in the front with 130/140mm travel.
    The Stache is being discontinued soon and so just looking at replacement options. I really like the 29+ hard tail for most of the places I ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think you will really like this frame with your carry over parts. Entirely different experience from the Stache. I have owned one and a good friend who turned me on to the Canfield brand has had multiple versions of this frame. It is a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    Iím building my N9 in a similar fashion. Going with a 140mm pike and i35 rims to run 2.6 to 2.8 tires. Will start as a single speed and may add gears in the future. For me I didnít want a super slack hardtail as I have a Ripmo V2 for everything else. Plus I think the 140mm fork will be better for out of the saddle single speed climbing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies about the 29+ compatibility, I appreciate it. Glad to see it should work. Key word, should, ha.
    Iím going to have to think it over a bit, but Iím leaning the Canfield way. I almost bought a Yelli Screamy a few years back, but bought a FS 29Ē bike , and then moved onto Stache which has been my favorite bike Iíve owned. I think I just like hard tails more, and with the bigger tires I get some cushioning but I also get rollover, traction, and instant power.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think I shoulda preordered - those are damn sexy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guys, if you'd pay more for that trick chrome oil slick frame, let them know. I've been trying to get them to do a pre-order / pre-paid limited run.
    In case you need reminding.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-51922927_2287287274638258_51612815269560320_o.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-51429106_2287287294638256_5411102195263209472_o.jpg  

Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice looking frame 👍
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Hey guys, if you'd pay more for that trick chrome oil slick frame, let them know. I've been trying to get them to do a pre-order / pre-paid limited run.

I don't need another hardtail. But I need this one lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's arrived! My Canfield box showed up yesterday. I got the red metallic paint and purchased later in the pre-order window.

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-n9-frame.jpg

First, the paint job is gorgeous in the sunlight. The renders don't do it justice. A nice deep red - it makes your average red anodizing look orange by comparison.

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-n9-front2.png

More of a Nimble 7 with my Balance wheelset. BB is at 316mm with 27.5x2.4s and a 160mm 29er fork - kind of right between a Kona Honzo and Chromag Stylus. Should be a really fun bike when I can get it on dirt.

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-n9-side.jpg

Weight for the curious:
    Frame (size L) 2640g
    Dropouts, axle, hardware 203g
    Total: 2843g = 6.27lb
    And because I weighed them anyway: Seatpost clamp 22g; Headset 108g
    This build is right at 29.0lb using my Balance wheelset and pretty much an identical build as my Balance (except a Ribbon Air instead of coil).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-thoi4175.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-awgo7540.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-wivl5893.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I got my bike last night! The metallic sparkle black is a good color.

Large
    40mm stem
    Mrp ribbon coil 41mm offset
    Ibis s35 wheels
    29 x 2.6 tires
    Tellis 170mm dropper
    Zee brakes
    Gx cranks.
    32x23 gearing for now.

Hope to get a ride in this weekend!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My frame arrived as well. Paint and welds look great. Just contemplating using the headset it shipped with or going with something like a cane creak 40 etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I thought it was a cane creek headset!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ride report? Curious on the updated geometry. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My previous two N9s were chrome (Gen 2, Gen 4), so I didn't know what to expect from a painted frame. But as others have already attested, the paint on the new frames is spectacular. Photos seriously don't do it justice. The Cherry Cola color is deep and rich with plenty of sparkle to catch the light. Can't wait to break it in tomorrow.

Quick spec:
    XL frame
    Fox 34, 140mm, 51 offset, Vorsprung Luftkappe
    X01 11sp drivetrain
    Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes, 180mm rotors (lines shortened since photos)
    OneUp bars, 180mm dropper
    Stan's Flow MK3 rims, I9 1-1 hubs
    Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 EXO tires
    Weight 27.8lb w/pedals

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-v3-right-front.jpg2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-v3-right-rear-1.jpg2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-v3-frame-closeup.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Iím curious how youíre going to like the mixed wheels on it. Really liked my riot with the Balance rear wheel on it Iím probably going all 29er. I have a Balance coming and can throw that rear on there if I want. Got my Static Nimble 9 frame. Pictures donít do the paint justice. Absolutely beautiful. Havenít got the parts to built it yet and really enjoying seeing how yíall are building yours. Might go with Revel rims, Onyx hubs(in black metal flake), Hayes brakes, I9 stem, oneup bars and dropper. Got the Diamond fork from Canfield. Blacked out as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I ran 27.5 x2.6 on my epo. It was a total blast. I have the wheels on my other bike. Iíll try them out at some point Iím sure. My cranks are 165mm so I get away with less pedal strikes. Low bottom brackets are the best if you can get away with it. Corners feel amazing. I ran the same wheels on my riot and that was my favorite variant on it also. Itís cool with the sliding drop outs changing things is easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, first ride report here. TLDR: this bike will be easy to love.

For context I've had the Balance as my only bike the last four years, which left me pretty over-biked for local/weeknight riding. I'd been sort of looking for something more taut and zippy for a while, like something in the hardtail to 120mm FS range.

On the N9 I'm running 27.5x2.4s front and rear (not mixed), with a 160mm 29" fork (572 A2C, 41mm offset, should be static ~65.6 HTA and ~76.5 STA). Dropouts slammed forward for 415mm CS.

Did 13 miles on typical US Northeast trail-bike-friendly singletrack. Mix of smooth flowy hardpack with berms and rollers, and chattery rocky rooty tech. Lots of short steep ups and downs. No "should have brought the big bike" chunk or features.

Steering: Precise. Not in the "precise means it's twitchy but I don't want to admit it" kind of way, but in the "telepathic just does what I want it" way. Stable and not floppy.
    Cornering: It just carves. Also manuals and pumps very nicely, like you'd expect on paper.
    Rear compliance: Nice. Not chattery and it doesn't ping off things. In the last 10 years I've demo'd more than one short-travel FS with a less well-mannered rear end.
    Climbing position: Spot on. Seated on steep stuff feels comfortable, standing climbing up tech is planted and doesn't wander.
    Power transfer: It's a hardtail.
    Weight: It's steel. You could perhaps drop three pounds with a carbon frame, but that'd be a different bike.
    BB height: Just fine with 165mm cranks. I could spin through more chunk than I'd expected. No clue about logs - just launch em.

In short, it's a rocketship. It really felt like everything I loved in my Balance was packaged into a hardtail. Writing this out I want to go ride it again.

Full build:
    2020 Nimble 9 frame, size L
    MRP Ribbon Air 29", 41mm offset, 572mm A2C
    TRP Quadiem brakes, 203mm/180mm
    XT 11sp shifter and derailleur
    RF Aeffect R crankset, 165mm
    OneUp bars, stem, topcap/preload, tool
    Fox Transfer v1 dropper, 150mm (I bought a OneUp 210mm post but decided I'd rather swap that to the Balance)
    Hope Pro 4, WeAreOne Union, DB14 spokes and brass nipples front wheel
    Hadley, Nextie, DB14 spokes and alloy nipples rear wheel (I'll ride it till it breaks, then replace with WeAreOne)
    e13 All-Terrain TRSr front tire
    e13 Semi-Slick LG1en rear

I think I'll stick with the full 27.5" N9 for now, run it with plus tires in the winter, and build up a 29" wheelset in the spring.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks for the write-up, sounds like youíre enjoying your new whip. Feel free to post up some pics!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Iím really happy with the bike. Comfortable and nimble. It rides nicer than my epo. Coil fork, big tires and a steel frame! It bangs in and out of corners easily. The front end is light and easy to maneuver too. Great job Canfield! This is a killer ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chileconqueso View Post
    Iím really happy with the bike. Comfortable and nimble. It rides nicer than my epo. Coil fork, big tires and a steel frame! It bangs in and out of corners easily. The front end is light and easy to maneuver too. Great job Canfield! This is a killer ride.

Looks similar to my build, are you running a 150mm fork? I have a 140 on hand but contemplating a 150.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    150 ish. The mrp setup for travel adjustment is easy to do and easy to not get exact. Weight be damned the bike rides very well. My shred dog is heavier than needed too and I canít complain how it rides either. Having a super light whippet of a bike might have its advantages. I weight more than needed as well. So I canít be too critical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post

I would be in on one with the Black Friday pricing or even Cyber monday pricing

Damn how did I miss that Black Friday pricing. Hope they do it again this year
    Last edited by sikocycles; 07-23-2020 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Iíve pushed the drop outs all the way long and itís a cornering machine. The stand over is awesome. Pedals like a hardtail. Goes stupid fast downhill. Faster than it should really. Jumps really well, darts through tight trees with just a little input.

Woods ninja. Itís an easy bike to ride. Lots of fun, my main goal of bikes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    I would be in on one with the Black Friday pricing or even Cyber monday pricing

Damn how did I miss that Black Friday pricing. Hope they do it again this year
    That won't happen, pretty involved process to get that look, hence they never released it.

Almost doubles the cost of the frame and why I suggested they have a small limited run of non-refundable prepaids.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    @chileconqueso, Nice! Is that the static color or the root beer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Chileconquaso, what length dropper? Size of your frame? What it to run the Oneup 210. That static is really gorgeous. Thatís what I got too. Yes nothing but fun bikes for me. That means Canfields!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It is static. ⚡️⚡️⚡️

Iím on a large. 170mm Tellis dropper. It has a super long insertion. I could run a 180 or 190 in the pnw or one up probably.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The tire clearance is sweet also. I have 2.6Ē on and there is plenty of room for mud. Iím sure a 2.8 would be fine too. In the longest position that is. Slammed forward there was not much room at all 3mm to the bb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thanks. Canít wait to ride this thing. I worry about the pretty paint, but itís a mountain bike! More pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I got some good miles in tonight. Lots of up and some fun down! Sand surfing at its best. I did some exploring and found some spots I had forgotten about. Canfield did really good with this frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

mtbr member
    May 2020
    This a picture of the pinstripe N9

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    In its natural environment! About to drop into some sandy chutes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flomingo View Post
    This a picture of the pinstripe N9
    No picture showing up for me.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Itís a reference to chiliconquesoís pic. Thereís no bike there - thatís the point lol

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Itís a reference to chiliconquesoís pic. Thereís no bike there - thatís the point lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Shipping now!

The long-awaited Pinstripe Nimble 9 is shipping now! These hot-rod inspired, custom, two-tone, steel frames are as rare as they are beautifulówe may never produce these colors again. Congrats to everyone who snagged one! (And thank you for being patient and understandingówe hope these were worth the wait!)

Explore hardtail mountain bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_8049.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00006.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00005.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00007.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00003.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00015.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00014.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00001.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00002.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00004.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00012.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00011.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00013.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00009.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00008.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-canfield-n9-pinstripe00010.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020
    So sick canít wait to shred.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wish I could get a Rad pink instead Canfield let me know if one is available!!!!
    Last edited by sikocycles; 08-10-2020 at 06:22 AM.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Nailed it, more info here https://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/...d-1149249.html
    2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_5012.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KgB; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:23 PM.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Smokiní

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Cant wait to swing a leg over it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

And we have a winner! 27.5x 2.6 on some wide rims. So much fun and even more nimble. This is a great bike. The nimble 9 bombs downhill. Im trying a longer stem to Get the fit just rite. the smaller wheels are great for me. Out of the saddle smashing is rewarding!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

LIMITED PINSTRIPE N9s AVAILABLE!

WE HAVE A VERY LIMITED QUANTITY OF PINSTRIPE NIMBLE 9s BACK IN STOCK!

Due to some pre-order changes, there are just a few remaining in various sizes/colors.

Get 'em while you can!

Frame only: https://canfieldbikes.com/collection...-mountain-bike

Frame & Fork: https://canfieldbikes.com/collection...e-fork-package

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Was hoping for a Rad pink but does not look like there is any left.
    Last edited by sikocycles; 08-13-2020 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Almost ready...

Targeting next weekend for the first ride (hopefully). Waiting on stem and brakes to complete the build.

What's pictured:
    - Fork: Manitou Mezzer 29" 160MM 51 offset
    - Wheels: Nukeproof Horizon V2 27.5"
    - Tires: Michelin Wild AM 27.5 x 2.8
    - Seatpost: Brand X 170MM

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_20200812_101457.jpg

mtbr member
    Mud Puddle Brown

Moved everything over from the previous N9.
    Had the Ribbon serviced/upgraded and extended the travel to 150.
    Running out of seatpost...
    2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-2020_n9_in.jpg2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-2020_n9_out.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Looking good! These bikes are smooth as hell!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willawry'd View Post
    Mud Puddle Brown

Moved everything over from the previous N9.
    Had the Ribbon serviced/upgraded and extended the travel to 150.
    Running out of seatpost...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020_N9_in.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	1356751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020_N9_out.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	1356753
    Is that a Medium frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Is that a Medium frame?
    Large.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Size medium, Lyrick 160 and I9 Enduros. Just had it out for a shakedown ride and all is great! Hopefully will get it out for a proper ride in the next few days if the weather prediction is wrong

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_20200814_152815.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_20200814_152824.jpg

9 lives
    Good things come to those who wait they say My Nimble 9 & DVO fork just arrived. And it is a rad pink beauty. Now I have a project to build it up.

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-117895164_2778665605711206_882368529494810143_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-118137420_2778663515711415_515085850738738934_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-118085633_2778664195711347_5185826341436185964_o.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2020
    What a beauty. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!

Anyone know how much longer the reach and/or front center is on the medium Ď20 vs the last Gen (Ď17) size medium?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know how much longer the reach and/or front center is on the medium Ď20 vs the last Gen (Ď17) size medium?

Go to the website and look?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Reach is 27mm longer.
    450mm (2020) vs. 423mm (2017)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Could anybody who is upgrading from the previous model give feedback on that steep seat tube angle and about how long or different it feels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drdre View Post
    Could anybody who is upgrading from the previous model give feedback on that steep seat tube angle and about how long or different it feels?
    I've only had it for a week but after ~100 miles:

Has a little more "over the bike" feel.
    Cockpit felt a little tighter. Testing a 10mm longer stem now.
    Bike feels better balanced; front tire has a little more weight while seated, so better grip around flat, loose turns. But seems to take a little more effort to lift the front.
    Haven't had any issues with tight turns and we have a lot of silly tight 180į turns around here.

Full disclosure: I've been solely riding a rigid Ti SS with a carbon fork since Thanksgiving so my observations may be a little tainted.

9 lives
    My hubby's 2020 Nimble 9 with DVO fork arrived!... that's 2 in the family

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-118253831_2781577385420028_125737860644582738_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-118301252_2781576298753470_4217730726887449261_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-118265519_2781575948753505_3683269536039961540_o.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Loving it so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_20200815_113630.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Built and first ride done.
    2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_0223.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by kiotae View Post
    Built and first ride done.
    Tie die eeWings titaniuam cranks would look great on your bike. I say we start a crowd fund me or something to get you some. They should have sold those cranks as an option on this frame. You should call Canfield and ask how much they could get those crank for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RoneMTBR View Post
    Tie die eeWings titaniuam cranks would look great on your bike. I say we start a crowd fund me or something to get you some. They should have sold those cranks as an option on this frame. You should call Canfield and ask how much they could get those crank for you.
    I wouldn't complain, but those cranks are $700+ even through wholesale.

The complete look has pink pedals and pink Oury push ons, but apparently handlebars don't come with end plugs anymore and I'm not stupid enough to ride w/o them so I threw some other grips on for this ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-3e3e089d-6f9d-4d56-9b0c-894133192c36.jpgRace Car Red large/DVO Diamond 150mm,Santa Cruz Reserve 37ís-DT Swiss 350, B+ SS. BIKE FLIES

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

wow

Finally got to ride the Nimble 9 yesterday, and WOW! Been a few years since I've been on a hardtail, but even being used to full suspension I was super impressed with how well it smashes through the chunk. Not nearly as harsh as I expected blasting through rocks and roots, even catching some air over trail features. I assume it's a combination of the steel frame, radial bent seat stays, plus tires and Atomik CHUBBY rims...low-profile carbon rims with an HDP foam core. Geo is spot on. Handles well and climbing on a hardtail was obviously great.

Aside from wheels and fork (150mm Fox 36), most of the rest of the build swapped over from my previous Balance. I have matching fork decals, grips and an oval ring going on (and I'll clean up the sealant on the tires/rims) so I'll get better glam shots, but here's how she's sitting now.

Having way more fun than I expected on a hardtail! Have a feeling I'll be pushing it more and more on my local trails to find the limit that makes me feel like I need my full suspension.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_8944.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_8946.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_8947.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Don_1138 - she's a real beaut!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim p View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E3E089D-6F9D-4D56-9B0C-894133192C36.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	488.6 KB 
ID:	1359291Race Car Red large/DVO Diamond 150mm,Santa Cruz Reserve 37ís-DT Swiss 350, B+ SS. BIKE FLIES
    That's sweet looking, tell us more!

hispanic mechanic
    Man alive... I wasnít in a position to order one when they were available. I guess Iíll be waiting for the next shipment!

I had a first generation N9, and Iím excited to get the new one!
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    May 2020

Good job! 10 ride review

First, let me start by saying the crew at Canfield is a pleasure to work with and that this bike is pretty special.

I'm 5'-11" and 190lbs, been riding for 18 years, and have been on a FS rig for the last 17. Moving to Pittsburgh from Montana is not recommended, not because the trails suck (they don't) but because they are short, lack vert, and there are not many. I've been riding the same ~30 miles of trail 3-4 times a week for the last 5 years and thought a single speed would mix it up a bit.

I started assembling the build back in December, so was lucky to get the parts because you can't find anything right now. The build:
    Frame: N9, Large, ceramic nanocoating by Bicycle Armor
    Bars: Thomson ti riser bars
    Stem: Thomson 40mm
    Headset: Chris King
    Brakes: Sram G2 Ultimate w/ two-piece rotors, 180mm F & R
    Shifters: nope
    Dropper Lever: Wolf Tooth light action
    Grips: ODI
    Fork: 2020 Fox 36 Performance Elite GRIP2, 140mm, short offset
    + Vorsprung smashpot 45# coil conversion w/ hydraulic bottom out
    Wheelset: Industry Nine Enduro 315c 24h 29"
    Tires: Forekaster 2.6wt front, Rekon 2.6wt rear
    Dropper Post: Bike Yoke Divine 180mm
    Saddle: SQ Labs 611
    Bottom Bracket: Wheels MFG w/ ABEC3 bearings (king BB pending)
    Cranks: Cane Creek eeWings 170mm
    Pedals: Deity T-mac (since switched to xtr trail)
    Chainring: Wolf Tooth Stainless 28T
    Cog: Wolf Tooth Stainless 16T (since switched to 18T
    Chain: XX1 11s
    Weight: 28lbs

Riding:
    Right out of the gate I was so impressed. So fun. Started out running the wheel slammed forward in the dropouts. The frame was a lot lighter than I expected, and the lack of rear cassette and derailleur combined with the heavy fork and long reach made the bike really front-heavy. Took a minute to get used to lifting the front end, but with a chainstay that short I mean come on. The bike rides like a dream, just feels really great. Sliding into the center of the dropouts gave me a bigger sweet spot to stand and climb. Great riding position, really comfortable. Love the seat tube angle. The whole geometry is just dialed. It's probably the sum of the wheels, tires, and frame, but it's a waaay smoother ride than I expected. This thing tracks and rolls over small to small-ish rocks and roots like a well tuned short-travel FS. I don't notice I'm on a hardtail until it gets chunkier or coming down out of the air. Cornering is just a treat, pushing into the corner you can feel the bike wind up hold the line until you let it spring out of the corner. And these wheels absolutely rail and complement the frame perfectly. Downhill - what can I say? for a trail bike, she rips. Couldn't be happier... my favorite bike I've ever owned or ridden, has really brought the joy and excitement back to my local trails.

I was a little worried about adding a pound for the 36 and another pound or more for the coil, but thought what the hell. I ride year round and bought a set of plus wheels for the winter, so thought it would be nice to have the consistency of the coil. Absolutely no regrets, would do it again without hesitation. The stiff, plush fork really helps track over off-camber roots and through rough corners, and holds up to weighting the bars like the frame demands.

a couple nitpicks - the frame is really affordable, especially with such a nice finish and ride, but you have to build from frame up so that gets lost. Also, and this might be on me, the outside rear brake pad rubs ever so slightly despite the caliper being adjusted to its limit. And lastly, also my fault, I couldn't find any torque specs for the dropouts, and was building the bike after hours so couldn't call Canfield - ended up blowing some of the paint off the dropout area tightening it down.

Bottom line, I would describe this ride as a solid, plush, and super-fun trail bike with awesome geometry that climbs smoothly and comfortably, corners like a hockey player, and descends like a bike with twice the travel. It just rides so gosh darn well, and doesn't look half bad either. Props to Canfield for this one.

Peace
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-d2e7a7f6-e209-4f96-879f-c34fd1f5299a.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-293bb834-acb0-4cb6-8879-7127dcbe16b7.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-f8f92a3b-0662-4dbe-a34e-818b33ff73cf.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-b2581109-7e3d-41b6-99b5-8cc1ed835856.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-72c32070-4f3b-477c-b1c4-6c9f48af424f.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-c0737391-eb7b-42d9-9c9d-aa5e48b4a9d2.jpeg  

Last edited by flomingo; 1 Week Ago at 07:46 AM. Reason: add pics

mtbr member
    May 2020

sorry for sideways pics

anyone want to tell me how to get the pics right side up and i'll fix it.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    have about 60 miles my new N9 so far.

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-n9.jpg

2020 Canfield N9 size M static
    RS Pike Ultimate
    WTB i35/Origin hubs
    SRAM Guide RSC
    One up 180mm Dropper.......think I should go to a 210mm
    Tire F 2.6 Specialized Butcher Grid Trail, R 2.6 Eliminator BLCK Diamond
    Spank 31mm Stem
    Ragley wiser bar.
    old school SLX cranks
    34t Wolf tooth Oval ring
    21T endless cog
    SRAM 8 speed chain
    Chromag Link DT saddle

surprisingly less then 28lb and a absolute shred machine from flats to fairly steep. The N9 frame is really compliant and 2.6 inch tires on 35mm rims can be run at such low pressure.

Great Geo, VERY complaint ride, light for bike like this, and quite frankly I love it. My only complaint is lack of ISCG tabs for a frame bash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    have about 60 miles my new N9 so far.

2020 Canfield N9 size M static
    RS Pike Ultimate
    WTB i35/Origin hubs
    SRAM Guide RSC
    One up 180mm Dropper.......think I should go to a 210mm
    Tire F 2.6 Specialized Butcher Grid Trail, R 2.6 Eliminator BLCK Diamond
    Spank 31mm Stem
    Ragley wiser bar.
    old school SLX cranks
    34t Wolf tooth Oval ring
    21T endless cog
    SRAM 8 speed chain
    Chromag Link DT saddle

surprisingly less then 28lb and a absolute shred machine from flats to fairly steep. The N9 frame is really compliant and 2.6 inch tires on 35mm rims can be run at such low pressure.

Great Geo, VERY complaint ride, light for bike like this, and quite frankly I love it. My only complaint is lack of ISCG tabs for a frame bash.
    Looks like you need a 210mm dropper. With those cranks I think you can use a BBG Bashguard with longer chainring bolts. Just remove covers on spider, if itís a 2 or 3 ring crank, and put it on the outside. Very clean look and durable. I went with new spider/bash from wolftooth and an oval.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I recently built one up singlespeed. What a joy to build!

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    And here's my review of the bike

mtbr member
    Ordered one. I was gonna go Race Red but went Mantis Green. Now to buy parts. Lots and lots of parts...

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail party View Post
    I recently built one up singlespeed. What a joy to build!

150(44mm offset) fork feels pretty good bike is still really nimble.

I am running 2.6 tires on 35mm rim though and the grip is just crazy good weather carving or steering.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I love mine but personally I feel this bike needs a 150mm fork. With my current 140mm fork the STA (77.5 with 140mm pike) puts a little too much pressure on my wrists. I'll be swapping to a 150mm in the coming days. Other than that I'll say it is a perfect compliment to my Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Yeah, before I order wheels I need to decide on 27.5 plus with or 29 x 2.6.

I'm thinking 27.5 with i40 rims and 2.8's or 29 with i35 rims and 2.6's. I'm on a 120mm travel plus bike now, (Bad Habit) with is of course super plush.

What do you all think?

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    I love mine but personally I feel this bike needs a 150mm fork. With my current 140mm fork the STA (77.5 with 140mm pike) puts a little too much pressure on my wrists. I'll be swapping to a 150mm in the coming days. Other than that I'll say it is a perfect compliment to my Ripmo.
    Very interesting. I've never had a steep seat angle put more pressure on my wrists. If anything, it takes pressure off my wrists since I'm closer to the bars.

I'm sure you've already tried sliding your seat back in the seat rails to change the effective seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very interesting. I've never had a steep seat angle put more pressure on my wrists. If anything, it takes pressure off my wrists since I'm closer to the bars.

I'm sure you've already tried sliding your seat back in the seat rails to change the effective seat tube angle.
    A lot of people have experienced this, but it's more than just the STA. My Riot didn't cause me wrist pain, but a Ripley V4 did. Reach has a lot to do with it. A steep STA tends to pitch your body forward, don't notice it on a short reach- Riot, definitely notice it on a longer reach- V4.
    Ripley LS v3

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Gotcha. Yeah, I agree that it's a combination of a few things.

I feel like a steep sta helps me not be too stretched out on bikes with a long reach. I like the long reach for the downs, and the short ett on the ups (due to the steeper sta)

A slack sta + long reach would hurt my wrists (and back) even more. I feel like a steep sta takes weight off your hands and puts it on your saddle.

But we each ride different places and we each have different sized bodies. I've really been enjoying 76-77* seat angles lately, even on my hardtails. I have short legs though, so the difference is less pronounced.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_J View Post
    Yeah, before I order wheels I need to decide on 27.5 plus with or 29 x 2.6.

I'm thinking 27.5 with i40 rims and 2.8's or 29 with i35 rims and 2.6's. I'm on a 120mm travel plus bike now, (Bad Habit) with is of course super plush.

What do you all think?
    depends on terrain plus fork.

I have had a plus sized 27.5 after riding the 2.6s on 35mm 29er wheels for where I ride its seems to be better. I still get a ton of tire 'suspension" from the 2.6, I also get the BB up a little higher. I am running 175mm cranks and I have nt had any issue with pedal strikes at all. I think with a 27.5 + tire Id have to run 160mm fork and still would have lower BB.

IMO 27.5= would accel at hardpack, roots, rocks, and 'hard" terrain, where as the 29x2.6 is more of all arounder. I ride almost exclusively on loam some of it really steep, with smatterings of roots and rocks but most are fairly short. The 2.6 inch digs into loam far better than plus sized 27.5 and also

mtbr member
    Watched that review by hard tail party, thumbs up!
    Iím definitely leaning to picking one of these up in size Large. Iím hoping to transfer a bunch of parts off my Trek Stache, and hopefully keeping 29x3 up front and at least 29 x 2.8 in the back.
    I ride on the East Coast and the Stache has been a game changer for me, and I think the Nimble 9 would be a worthy successor to that bike. I mostly trail ride, hardly any bike park action for me. Lots of typical east coast chunk, some machine made flow, rock gardens, tough climbs, tech descents. The Stache crushes it on everything except for super steep chunk. Iíd imagine itís the same for the Nimble 9. It hauls ass, is wicked fun.

There are no black size Large in stock anymore. Are there plans for a new batch soon or is it going to be a long while? My Stache is holding up but itís getting time for a new frame.

mtbr member
    Mine is on it's way. A little confusion for me on the website last night led to a call from Jeff today. Where the price is posted it states that the headset and seat collar are included. I thought "That's odd, no axle?" I looked but didn't see it listed so I ordered one. Jeff called to ask if I REALLY wanted two axles. Of course no... We had a good convo and I mentioned that I needed to buy most everything for this build as I'm not transferring any parts from another bike. Well, I ended up getting a fork as well. Jeff held the shipment so I could do a little research on DVO, liked what I read, and now I'm getting a green fork to go along with the green frame.
    I've never, ever before geeked out on colors, bit it looks like this time I am. Im going to add some other green bits as i get the parts so I expect it to look as good as it rides.
    I was trying to maintain some sense of a budget on this build, but with parts hard to get in some cases I'm spending more than I planned, which is exactly what I expected if you know what I mean!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Iím hoping they do another run soon. If anyone wants to part with a large metallic black let me know!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnales View Post
    Iím hoping they do another run soon. If anyone wants to part with a large metallic black let me know!
    From what Iíve seen in pics the static color (metallic black) is more blue than black.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Cherry Cola

Finally got the finishing touches on 'er! So much funólike a big kid's BMX bike!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-side.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-front-quarter-copy.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-rear-quarter.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-top-tube.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-saddle.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-front-cockpit.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-rear-side.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-i9.jpg  

2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-cherry-n9-atomik.jpg  

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_1138 View Post
    Finally got the finishing touches on 'er! So much funólike a big kid's BMX bike!

You build some nice rides. Another "Bike of the day"?
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks! Aside from fork, wheels, tires, grips, saddle, cranks and chainring, this was all swapped over from my previous 2017 Balance (raw with red links).

Just uploaded to Vitalóguess we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    You build some nice rides. Another "Bike of the day"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I like the blue tint of 'Static' in the pictures I have seen, reminds me of the ďCarbon BlackĒ BMW I once had. Iím kicking myself I wasnít looking at these, I originally thought a 150mm forked hardtail sounded silly but now looking at how people are building Chameleons etc the geo looks pretty sweet. Iím looking to replace my Balance and alot of the parts would be great on a N9!

Designated Bleeder

Static Frame Color

Quote Originally Posted by trailsnales View Post
    I like the blue tint of 'Static' in the pictures I have seen, reminds me of the ďCarbon BlackĒ BMW I once had. Iím kicking myself I wasnít looking at these, I originally thought a 150mm forked hardtail sounded silly but now looking at how people are building Chameleons etc the geo looks pretty sweet. Iím looking to replace my Balance and alot of the parts would be great on a N9!
    I have a Static frame. It's a really cool color. More like a deep gray in the shade but iridescent in the sun! So cool!2020 Canfield Nimble 9 Unveiled! Pre-orders, Black Friday pricing and more!-img_5636.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    I have a Static frame. It's a really cool color. More like a deep gray in the shade but iridescent in the sun! So cool!
    Thanks for that! I was about to ask what the Static looks like in person... Don't hesitate to post other pictures. It's hard to get a feel for this color... I'm looking for a hardtail to complement my Ripmo. Cotic Solaris Max, RSD Middlechild, Banshee Paradox were at the top of my list. But after the review by Hardtail Party, I think a more playful/agile geo like the Nimble 9 would probably be a better match to my Ripmo. Like a Middlechild but lighter and more compliant...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_1138 View Post

Looks awesome. What king of terrain is it getting a workout on?
    I love that color, but by the time I discovered this bike those were gone.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    It looks so good as a plus bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    May have spoken too soon. Starting to like the 140mm fork, just took some time. This bike is crazy fun.

mtbr member
    It looks so good as a plus bike.
    Iím hoping to build a Nimble 9 up with a Yari 29+ 140mm fork and use 3.0 up front, and at least 2.8 in the rear.
    I have.a set of WTB i45 rims I want to use from my Stache.