2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)

IT'S BACK!

The 2020 Canfield Balance is available in a Limited Edition version featuring a polished raw mirror-finish aluminum frame, rainbow oil-slick links and a numbered production badge featuring Lance Canfieldís signature. Only 100 will be produced.

For 2020, the Balance features 169 millimeters of rear travel, boost spacing, a custom CBFô chainstay protector, refreshed geometry and longer reach across all sizes.

In addition, the Balance will be available in two new metallic flake factory colors, Desert Loam and Deep Space.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-2020-canfield-balance-limited-edition-complete-bk-1.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-2020-canfield-balance-limited-edition-complete-bk-4.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-2020-canfield-balance-limited-edition-complete-bk-5.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-2020-canfield-balance-limited-edition-complete-bk-6.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-2020-canfield-balance-limited-edition-complete-bk-2.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-2020-canfield-balance-desert-loam-complete-8-sm.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-2020-canfield-balance-deep-space-complete-8-sm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome! Question. Does this frame work with non boost cranks such as the Canfield cranks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That polished frame is gorgeous to say the least. I'm curious how progressive the rear suspension came out being? Seeing coil as default makes me think there is a decent amount built in but this thing is looking like a sweet park bike and curious about rear end characteristics.

Your bike sucks
    Oh man. I just ordered. Very rare for me to make a spontaneous purchase like this but...so it goes. Looking forward to the journey Lance.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    count me in!!
    email sent!
    1 medium SE frame please
    i am all fired up, how can we wait until May? wow
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Standard 73mm bottom bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM View Post
    Awesome! Question. Does this frame work with non boost cranks such as the Canfield cranks?

mtbr member
    Any other shock options.....say an 11/6 ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Slightly progressive, but not a HUGE ramp up.

Overall characteristics will be very similar to the last gen Balance, just longer travel and metric shock sizing now.

Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    That polished frame is gorgeous to say the least. I'm curious how progressive the rear suspension came out being? Seeing coil as default makes me think there is a decent amount built in but this thing is looking like a sweet park bike and curious about rear end characteristics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    CONGRATS! Can't wait to see the build...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Oh man. I just ordered. Very rare for me to make a spontaneous purchase like this but...so it goes. Looking forward to the journey Lance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Not currently through us, but we will try to work with the PUSH crew so they can get an 11/6 tune going!

Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Any other shock options.....say an 11/6 ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ooooooohhhhhh mannnnnnnn.... I have been about to pull the triggy on 2 other bikes that were finalists this week - and this!

But I must say, I don't/won't need this much travel and now will see when the TOIR (riot) is relaunched!!

Can I expect a release on the website for the TOIR later today or tomorrow?? (hoping SOON!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canfield Bikes View Post
    Not currently through us, but we will try to work with the PUSH crew so they can get an 11/6 tune going!
    I was just curious, awesome looking frame though. I'm going to wait out to see if an updated Riot is in the works. That's what I'm hoping for.....with an 11/6 tune of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yeah now trying to decide if I wait for the 29er to launch or does may shor ass go mullet on the Balance. That Desert loam Is gorgeous.

mtbr member
    i am going to pimp the heck out of this build

CaneCreek eEwings Tie-Dye are going to fit perfectly with this link!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Trying to decide what color. The polish is so tempting. What brake mount is that for the rear? Looks like IS but the site says post mount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Post Mount 180 for production.

Prototype photo sample.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Trying to decide what color. The polish is so tempting. What brake mount is that for the rear? Looks like IS but the site says post mount.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Next bike will be a bit more gravity focused. Other trail bikes will be a bit later in the season, so don't want to keep you waiting too long...

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Yeah now trying to decide if I wait for the 29er to launch or does may shor ass go mullet on the Balance. That Desert loam Is gorgeous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Next bike will be more gravity oriented. Trail bikes are still a ways out.

Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    ooooooohhhhhh mannnnnnnn.... I have been about to pull the triggy on 2 other bikes that were finalists this week - and this!

But I must say, I don't/won't need this much travel and now will see when the TOIR (riot) is relaunched!!

Can I expect a release on the website for the TOIR later today or tomorrow?? (hoping SOON!)

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Polished with oil slick links was genius. You couldn't get someone to flow you some oil slick sram parts for your glamour shots though?
    That blue is really nice too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Polished with oil slick links was genius. You couldn't get someone to flow you some oil slick sram parts for your glamour shots though?
    That blue is really nice too.
    Countdown is on until the first AXS/eewings build comes out on the polished/oil slick frame...

mtbr member
    So excited to see a new Canfield Bike released!!! I've been checking the web every day for years I feel like, just waiting for news. The Balance is too much bike for me, but just knowing there is definitely a new trail bike coming has made up my mind, and will be my next bike. Hopefully wont be too much longer though

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

keepin' it rural
    Are there any realistic options to be able to demo one soon, ie. driving to the headquarters in CO? (which is something i'm willing to do) Or would I have to wait til May 2020?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jedi returning with CBF!!!

Keep on Rockin...
    Wow, nice looking polished frame!

I'm with stupid
    I am looking at one of these for my park bike to replace my 2016 balance.....but waiting to see what Push will charge me to swap my 11-6 over from my 2016. Luckily my LBS that is a push dealer so maybe I can add some internal pressure.... you know.... to help everyone and stuff..... haha

I really want to hear more about this new Jedi coming out cause I am in the market for a DH bike... was going v-10...but.... maybe not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Oh boy this is goooooood. I'll wait a little but she will be mine

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    WOW!! great pricing!

Way too much travel for me. Hopefully a 140mm 29er with steeper SA will join the lineup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I love the looks of this bike. Those color are great. I'm hoping for a review to drop soon. Really want to know more about the suspension and how it pedals.

Think this might be the bike I'm looking for. Geo wise I'm not sure what to order at 5'10"? Reach numbers for the L are similar to the new Knolly Warden in M, which is what they recommend at my height. Also sat on M or L of the Ripmo AF with similar reach numbers, and both felt fine, but again they recommend the Large as well.

mtbr member
    Well, i am 183 cm and coming from a medium 2015 balance

I decided to go with the new medium too

Reach and 37mm longer, actual top tube is the same as the seat tube steepend abit, so seating down will put my in the same position, but standing up will give me 37mm more clearance which would be awesome

The new large seems a little longer for my taste, i like prefer to be on the smaller side of frames

The TT on the large is 33mm longer than what i am used to from previouse balance so i am afraid its going to be a tad too long for me

Lets hope i am not wrong with my feeling

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anybody compare the old geo to the new yet? Looks to me like the dropped the old small, moved all the sizes down and then added a new XL. The head angle change can be in part from the change in A to C height of the fork (565 vs 552). I'm sure there are some other changes in there to maintain effective seat angle and BB height as well. Works for me in any event, bikes look rad as always and this just goes to show how ahead of the curve the Balance was four years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've done some comparing as I ride a small. The seat tube is shorter on the new one, with just like 2-5mm more in standover. The reach increase by about 20mm, and 50mm for wheelbase. So it's a little longer reach and wheelbase for sure. Still really debating if I want to move on from the last version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Good call on the seat tube lengths, that was a no brainer change on these frames. I am one of the many that took a hacksaw to the top of seat tube to get longer dropper in there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Whoa you cut the seat tube? Did you try to run the cable through the bottom of the ST vs the dropper hole that is provided? I did that and was able to slam the dropper. Could probably run a 200mm on small. I run a wireless dropper now so it doesn't matter but I thought it was neat you can run internal cable through the bottom of the ST vs the dropper post hole provided.

Your bike sucks
    Had a night to process on this and I'm feeling the stoke. Might be a bit self-indulgent geek out but here's a list of stand out things for me on this bike:

• Bar-none, Canfield's suspension design appeals to me over all others
    • New travel is right inline with my use - all arounder on challenging terrain and toothy enough for lift serve
    • 420mm short stays are right in my wheel house
    • The new raw polish finish looks great as does the oil slick link
    • All my Canfield bikes have had no-nonsense solid construction
    • Geometry - based off my best fitting bike this has the positive, subtle refinements I'd make (current 2019 Patrol XL):
      • Reach Current: 500, Balance 496
      • Chain Stay Current: 430, Balance 420
      • Stack Current: 623, Balance 615
      • Wheelbase Current: 1268, Balance 1259

So basically, more & better travel in a sexy styling with some slight convenient geo changes that match my preferences. I really thought my Patrol had the geo pretty darn close to spot on and this moves the needle even further. Even with my 11/6 I'd say the Patrol kinematics and feel were capable and good & anyone should be pleased with it but never jaw-dropping, amazing and somehow both efficient and bottomless... so maybe I'm setting a high bar of expectations around the Balance but my time on Canfield suspensions (owned a One and ridden old Balance) makes me confident it'll deliver.

Giving up some stand-over and the ETT is longer on the Canfield prob due to slacker STA (maybe a positive, maybe a negative) and I'll need to sort thru if the Jade coil is a hit or do I entertain the idea of a Push refit of my shock? It'll adopt my current, proven build which includes a nice Lyric w/ Smashpot so life ain't bad.

And that's my morning coffee musings....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Wondering if the non-polish raw will be available in the future for those that want a dull finish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm on an XL, so I needed to cut ~20mm of seat tube in order to fit a 170mm dropper. Worked like a charm, no issues with insertion or using the dropper hole. I've seen it a couple others do it on here as well. It's a non-issue on these new frames.

mtbr member
    Next bike will be more gravity oriented.
    Will it be a new Jedi next, or something in between Balance and Jedi?

If itís a Jedi, Iíll probably buy a Balance; if itís in between Iíd probably wait & see.

Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What would be between a Jedi and a Balance? 180mm?

mtbr member
    I donít know, thatís why Iím asking...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scycllerist View Post
    WOW!! great pricing!

Way too much travel for me. Hopefully a 140mm 29er with steeper SA will join the lineup.
    At the risk of sounding ridiculous and stupid...The bottom bracket is higher than most 2020 trail bikes so putting on a 150mm fork to steepen the HTA and STA and drop the BB for a trail geo could work. 29er 2.5? A different shock stroke and tune? Canfield could pull a GG with common front and mixed rears. Like I said, stupid and ridiculous. LOL

I'll be watching.

Thanks and good luck!!

Oh, the stack..being older I do like the EPO's higher stack. So maybe two front ends. LOL

mtbr member
    Thereís few places for me to ride a full DH locally, but Iíd throw a dual crown on the Balance for the odd park day 😀

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Think I'll over fork my Riot and wait. I ride a lot of slow tech climbs that rear rollover is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
    Well, i am 183 cm and coming from a medium 2015 balance

I decided to go with the new medium too

Reach and 37mm longer, actual top tube is the same as the seat tube steepend abit, so seating down will put my in the same position, but standing up will give me 37mm more clearance which would be awesome

The new large seems a little longer for my taste, i like prefer to be on the smaller side of frames

The TT on the large is 33mm longer than what i am used to from previouse balance so i am afraid its going to be a tad too long for me

Lets hope i am not wrong with my feeling
    Yea, called Canfield. Decided medium is the way I should go.

keepin' it rural
    I know a lot of people considering this bike don't care, and i normally haven't really cared to much about weight, but as I've been demoing newer lighter bikes in this travel range and I'm not gonna lie i can definitely feel the difference compared to my old pig. With that being said given the aluminum frame, coil shock, and the DVO fork being a touch heavier than say a fox or rockshox im curious what this build will come in at.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by useless info View Post
    Yea, called Canfield. Decided medium is the way I should go.
    I'm curious what specifically drove you to that? The other guy is not much smaller than me and he's chosen a medium and I'm going x-large. I know I'm a long reach guy and I've got a bike now that is actually longer than the Balance XL so that feels right...but there's a wide range of preferences so I'm wondering what you honed in on.

Edit to add re: weight: My al Patrol w/ coil front / rear in XL size came to 35lbs with a burly but competent build. Guessing this will be similar. Going air f/r will knock off 2lbs...carbon frame there would take it down another 2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I'm curious what specifically drove you to that? The other guy is not much smaller than me and he's chosen a medium and I'm going x-large. I know I'm a long reach guy and I've got a bike now that is actually longer than the Balance XL so that feels right...but there's a wide range of preferences so I'm wondering what you honed in on.
    I'm kind of doubting myself again after comparing the numbers to the HD5 and seeing that people shorter than me are riding a large. My main fear is if I have to get that saddle back too far and up, the climbing might suffer with those short chain stays and trying to keep that grounded on the steeps. I know the medium would be great for me on the way down.

However, Canfield just kind of described to me what sizes they've been riding at their various heights. I'm around 178 cm (always between sizes). One of their guys around 183 cm sounded like he was riding large for what it's worth. If your unsure I'd just give them a call quick. I'll probably second guess myself for a couple more weeks before I decide to move forward with any purchase.

Your bike sucks
    However, Canfield just kind of described to me what sizes they've been riding at their various heights. I'm around 178 cm (always between sizes). One of their guys around 183 cm sounded like he was riding large for what it's worth.
    Heh - it's tough isn't it? Unless you have bike in hand of course. Yeah, the 183cm guy riding the medium was more of a stand out than you at 178. I'm 187cm so different still and I already know I get along w/ 500mm reach (but that's the limit). Cheers!

mtbr member
    I have been riding a medium 2015 balance for the last 5 years, i have had all kinds of stem+ handlebar setups on the bike

2015 balance reach is 420
    2020 balance reach is 457

2015 balance ett 587
    2020 balance ett 611

If you look at these numbers - 457 mm is the reach of the xl '15
    and 611 is the ett of the large ett

With that said, i also have a 2012 the one large with 439 reach and 610 ett
    And i love the 610 ett

Sometimes i cant understand the need to be on a huge bike, i also own a medium 2017 jedi, and love the sizing.

Am i missing something?
    Will a large 2020 balance fit me better? It just seems with so big numbers, the new medium should fit my taste

More reach space while standing up, same ett length for on seat pedaling

Enlighten me please

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Another thing to remember is as a bike gets slacker in the head angle, it will effectively shorten your reach as you add stack height. This bike is slacker than previous balance so take that into consideration.

Your bike sucks
    More reach space while standing up, same ett length for on seat pedaling

Enlighten me please
    It's just fit, style and preferences. I'll never take anyone to task for liking more on compact size as I like more on the long size. My tastes have changed over last 5 years where I found myself creeping in to longNlow and not wanting to go back. There's a compromise either way where long can get a little wild until you adapt and short n maneuverable might be the ticket sometimes but feel cramped other times. Funny thing is - I was asking myself same question: am I missing something? cheers.

Edit to add: like the other guy said, there's a little alchemy to the sizing when comparing models/year as angles and other changes begin to stack - effective STA sort of makes me brain hurt - usually what I'm after is relative to where I sit (& raise up to pedals only), where will my hands be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    It's just fit, style and preferences. I'll never take anyone to task for liking more on compact size as I like more on the long size. My tastes have changed over last 5 years where I found myself creeping in to longNlow and not wanting to go back. There's a compromise either way where long can get a little wild until you adapt and short n maneuverable might be the ticket sometimes but feel cramped other times. Funny thing is - I was asking myself same question: am I missing something? cheers.

Edit to add: like the other guy said, there's a little alchemy to the sizing when comparing models/year as angles and other changes begin to stack - effective STA sort of makes me brain hurt - usually what I'm after is relative to where I sit (& raise up to pedals only), where will my hands be.
    For sure. If you feel good on that medium don't let others say otherwise. I tend to go medium, and enjoy the smaller size in most cases. But I've also sat on a Transition Patrol medium, and couldn't get the seat back far enough to get my knees in the right position while not having my ass hang off the back of the seat. But the medium Sentinel felt great. Same reach, but slightly different stack and other numbers that I truly don't understand. I think for me, I just have more leg to torso. I'm trying to understand the numbers as much as you are. Sorry I cannot be more help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I Love this new bike. Wanted a chrome Nimble 9. Ordered the 2020 in blue. This is going to be a good looking bike, even if you put basic parts on it. But blinged out with eewings, in oil slick of course, and such is going to be badass. I want to get one, but just bought the Nimble and have a DVO SE Ď16 Balance. So hard to justify this one. So why do I still want one so bad. DVO Onyx 29er set at 170mm, black, Onyx polished hubs, Derby rims, polished high end stem. Everything else blacked out. Badass! Iím going to go buy another lotto ticket, just in case. The polished ones are probably gone already. Good one Lance. Hope you make some raw ones too. Canít wait to see whatís next.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Buy both!!!!
    Canfield Nimble 9/Canfield Balance

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My wife just bought me this bike for our 30th anniversary! I think sheís a keeper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    My wife just bought me this bike for our 30th anniversary! I think sheís a keeper.
    Nice!! My wife doesn't know I bought one yet...if she doesnt divorce me in May, shes a keeper too!

Professional Noob
    Having just BARELY finished building my 2016 Balance, Iím a little peeved. That oil slick/polished raw combo is just to die for.

Iím curious to know if the actual manufactured rear triangle is the same thing as the previous gen. The 2016 Balance fits a Boost wheel no problem. Actually measures ~144mm between dropouts. Would make sense to do little to no tweaking to that part and just revise the front triangle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    Buy both!!!!
    Stop agreeing with the voices in my head lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Definitely a keeper, though guessing after 30 years you already knew that haha!

Congratulations!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    It is a new rear triangle with proper boost spacing, post mount brake, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    Iím curious to know if the actual manufactured rear triangle is the same thing as the previous gen. The 2016 Balance fits a Boost wheel no problem. Actually measures ~144mm between dropouts. Would make sense to do little to no tweaking to that part and just revise the front triangle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    We won't be able to get any to media for review until we take delivery in spring (likewise, you won't see customer reviews until they start shipping). Aside from the longer travel, the kinematics and CBF tune will be very similar, so all the reviews from the last version will very much apply in terms of pedaling and suspension feel.

At your height you could probably go medium or large and it will come down to personal preference. Keep in mind the new medium is roughly equivalent to the old large.

I love the looks of this bike. Those color are great. I'm hoping for a review to drop soon. Really want to know more about the suspension and how it pedals.

Think this might be the bike I'm looking for. Geo wise I'm not sure what to order at 5'10"? Reach numbers for the L are similar to the new Knolly Warden in M, which is what they recommend at my height. Also sat on M or L of the Ripmo AF with similar reach numbers, and both felt fine, but again they recommend the Large as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    We won't be able to get any to media for review until we take delivery in spring (likewise, you won't see customer reviews until they start shipping). Aside from the longer travel, the kinematics and CBF tune will be very similar, so all the reviews from the last version will very much apply in terms of pedaling and suspension feel.

At your height you could probably go medium or large and it will come down to personal preference. Keep in mind the new medium is roughly equivalent to the old large.
    Thanks! Could you comment on the weight of the bike built up?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks! Could you comment on the weight of the bike built up?
    Hereís a review;

Great bike! Itíll make you faster and let you have more fun. Buy now!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This is a really nice looking frame, clearly in keeping with the Canfield mantra.

Iím pretty happy with my Mega Trail, but I wouldnít mind slinging a leg over one.

420mm chainstays and up to 2.8 tires, very nice. How do they maintain clearance with all that travel?

169mm rear travel, thatís a bunch for sure, my GG has 155/165, I stay in 155 and itís plenty. Iím curious how mushy this bike is for climbing and general riding.

I think a domestic build would be cool, but I get why they have it built where the costs are less.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Says 2.8 tire clearance so perf for 29 x 2.6 front and 27.5 x 2.8 rear

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    169mm rear travel, thatís a bunch for sure, my GG has 155/165, I stay in 155 and itís plenty. Iím curious how mushy this bike is for climbing and general riding.
    I ride a current Balance. CBF is really something else. I knew nothing about it. Rode my friend's Riot on a slight climb and down the hill and I could tell it was different then any other suspension I've ridden.

I ride my balance now 165mm and never lock my shocks on the climbs. It just goes. It really is efficient on the climbs. What I find interesting about the suspension design is it's not to picky about sag. I rarely check how much sag I run and just go by how it feels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    This is a really nice looking frame, clearly in keeping with the Canfield mantra.

Iím pretty happy with my Mega Trail, but I wouldnít mind slinging a leg over one.

420mm chainstays and up to 2.8 tires, very nice. How do they maintain clearance with all that travel?

I think a domestic build would be cool, but I get why they have it built where the costs are less.
    The lower link is pretty large so there is more up motion vs up and towards the seat tube like a single pivot bike. No mush but also no hang up around sag like a lot of mini link bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hi guys, dont mean to hijack the thread but wondering if you guys will be restocking your 63/78mm bottom bracket cranks in the near future? Havent seen anything else available other than the 170mm length cranks and looking for another set of your 160mm length cranks for my other bikes.
    I think I have inquired before either on Instagram or through email, but never got a response.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Same question here, Iíd take a couple pair of 160mm cranks with BB and 26t chainrings.

Quote Originally Posted by lucythefin View Post
    Hi guys, dont mean to hijack the thread but wondering if you guys will be restocking your 63/78mm bottom bracket cranks in the near future? Havent seen anything else available other than the 170mm length cranks and looking for another set of your 160mm length cranks for my other bikes.
    I think I have inquired before either on Instagram or through email, but never got a response.

mtbr member

Parallel link suspension design - just amazed at how superior it is to most other designs; it allows for very short chainstays (without the need for superboost) and lots of tire clearance.

I have the last gen (165mm) and have used it as my trail bike for the last 3 years. You will be blown away by how efficient a long travel bike can be. Only suspension that climbs better is the Yeti and I've literally owned them all.

As for mushy... let's just say with shock set up in DH mode I was expecting to "pop" off of obstacles which just got swallowed up whole - it is a brawler for sure along the lines of a Nomad only better. If I ride park with berms then I put my Lyrik in trail mode and lock out my CCDBA - then she becomes plenty playful! It really is an amazing bike NB!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I have the last gen (165mm) and have used it as my trail bike for the last 3 years. You will be blown away by how efficient a long travel bike can be. Only suspension that climbs better is the Yeti and I've literally owned them all.
    Thanks G man, that's the kind of praise I was looking for.

mtbr member

Smile

Guess what just came in for my new LE Balance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img-20200201-wa0001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice! Iím going with Canfield cranks for now, but I want some of those eewings. Really want to see how those look on the bike. Looks like your going with a color scheme around the link. Canít wait to see some of these bikes built up.

I'm with stupid
    I think I am a bit dense, but I cannot come up with good enough reasons to get this over my current balance. Seems a half a degree slacker and half a size bigger and I would have to give up my 11-6. Am I missing something?

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I think I am a bit dense, but I cannot come up with good enough reasons to get this over my current balance. Seems a half a degree slacker and half a size bigger and I would have to give up my 11-6. Am I missing something?
    Yeah, I think it's a refinement version vs. breakthrough model. Testament to how well they had it sorted before. I don't have a Balance so easier choice - but last year when I needed a frame, I was trying to see if I could do a NOS/used Balance. My fit preferences though made it too far of a concession. So I like these little tweaks: longer, more travel, boost, slacker.

I built my current bike around the 11-6, so I'll be comparing this new build against that ride; thunderdome cage match to the death! Two bikes enter, one bike leaves. My money is on the Balance tho and I'll be taking a pretty brutal resell hit once that proves right but life's too short to settle.

mtbr member
    This crank + the mag pedals are just too light to be true

The eewings cranks, hellbender bb, absolute black chainring and the canfield mag pedals

Crazy weight
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img-20200223-wa0030.jpg

Sorry for the side shot

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cosmetic Dentist or Orthodontist?

This crank + the mag pedals are just too light to be true

The eewings cranks, hellbender bb, absolute black chainring and the canfield mag pedals

Crazy weight
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200223-WA0030.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	1313715

Sorry for the side shot

mtbr member
    Cosmetic Dentist or Orthodontist?
    LOL

Just a simple wearhouse worker
    i have been saving for these for ages!!
    got some more parts
    a rear Onyx Vesper hub with XD drive
    a front Hope V4 hub [sorry, couldnt justify a 150$ difference for a front hub on the Onyx]
    and 2 new FLOW EX MK3 27.5" rims

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_20200227_121348-crop.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_20200312_141431_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow! I've been struggling with my color scheme. Yours is going to look badass

Your bike sucks
    ^Good to see some enthusiasm. The whole corona thing sort of put a damper on my project - expect delays and all that. Anyway - I'm going to channel some of your energy... Also it was good to see a pic of Lance w/ the Balance in a recent email distro - I think at the Fruita Fat tire fest or something - gave me some mental proportions and good visualizations...

mtbr member
    Yeah i have decided to go with the oil slick purple blue scheme on most of the new gear i will buy
    ofcourse with some budget considerations in mind

Next will be the new i9 stem with chrome/purple scheme

Also already got the new gloves!
    dont have a pick, but here is the link for them
    https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/18244232/

These are the new Dirt gloves

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    That is going to look SO GOOD!

LOL

got some more parts
    a front Hope V4 hub [sorry, couldnt justify a 150$ difference for a front hub on the Onyx]

Name:	IMG_20200227_121348 crop.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	1320895

Name:	IMG_20200312_141431_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	1320897

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    That was the Sedona MTB Festival! p.s. Lance is 6-foot and the bike he had in the photo is a medium. He would normally ride a large.

Also it was good to see a pic of Lance w/ the Balance in a recent email distro - I think at the Fruita Fat tire fest or something - gave me some mental proportions and good visualizations...

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Iím going with just black and polished shiny metal as much as possible.

Also Canfield said bikes are coming on time because some other manufacturers cancelled orders

Your bike sucks
    That was the Sedona MTB Festival! p.s. Lance is 6-foot and the bike he had in the photo is a medium. He would normally ride a large.
    Thanks for that. Helps confirm what I was looking at. Still sticking with the XL and it's going to be grand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Can't wait to see your build!

Thanks for that. Helps confirm what I was looking at. Still sticking with the XL and it's going to be grand.

mtbr member

Picked up this little beauty for my balance build. Going with purple oil slick with a splash of dvo green. Pulling some stuff off my 2016 balance to transfer over along with some new bits. Canít wait for it to get here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Is that purple? Custom paint? Diamond or Onyx? Going to look sweet. Wonder how many previous Balance owners bought a new one. I did. Still my favorite bike out of everything Iíve ridden. Canít wait to see some of these built up.
    Picked up this little beauty for my balance build. Going with purple oil slick with a splash of dvo green. Pulling some stuff off my 2016 balance to transfer over along with some new bits. Canít wait for it to get here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    LOL

got some more parts

Name:	IMG_20200227_121348 crop.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	1320895

Name:	IMG_20200312_141431_1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	1320897
    Lol. I like your style. US hub companies need to get real with their front hub prices. It's not relative to the effort and materials in your rear hub, it's a friggen shell and 2 bearings. Hence the hope front/white industries rear combo I'm currently running.

Can't believe the weight on your crank/pedal setup. I need those cranks

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Oh, man! Can't wait to see everyone's builds!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoneMTBR View Post
    Is that purple? Custom paint? Diamond or Onyx? Going to look sweet. Wonder how many previous Balance owners bought a new one. I did. Still my favorite bike out of everything Iíve ridden. Canít wait to see some of these built up.

[/QUOTE]

Thatís a onyx and Iím replacing my 2016 balance with the 2020

mtbr member
    Come on "Canfield bikes" throw us a bone, show us the new Riot already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan View Post
    Come on "Canfield bikes" throw us a bone, show us the new Riot already.
    Yes! Please!

Your bike sucks
    Getting close. I wonder if you can have too much polished? Heh. Lots of silvery bits in my collection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Getting close. I wonder if you can have too much polished? Heh. Lots of silvery bits in my collection.
    No way - polish it all! My 2016 Jedi and Balance are both polished.. and still went with the polished 2020 version. Hoping we get some good news soon!

mtbr member
    Iíve heard itís about 3 weeks till our frames land. Canít wait

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Iíve heard itís about 3 weeks till our frames land. Canít wait

Yeah considering the situation we are really lucky! Seems lots of folks buying other brands might not even get their new bikes before summer is over.

mtbr member
    Luckily for me this isnít my only bike. So Iím ok just anxious.

Your bike sucks
    In. The. Mail. Braaap! Good timing as I could use the lift of my spirits.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

2020 balances are in stock and shipping!

2020 balances are in stock and shipping!

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-106222690_3352368028130172_4947706088504866015_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-106217017_3352368418130133_7695977507175145586_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-107041346_3352368558130119_2744290513991461659_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-106675190_3352368314796810_9101929038296900073_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-107436273_3352368748130100_4784571678019913710_o.jpg

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-106925946_3352368774796764_6446501012124085098_o.jpg

Your bike sucks
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_0494.jpg

We'll call this guy ol' #002. More to come. Thanks guys. Build today or build tomorrow? decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Wow!!! That is gorgeous. I'm still enjoying my 2017 raw Balance. Able to clean sections that my buddies wagon wheels can't handle. Just last weekend, two of them that ride 29ers went otb on a chunky section where I was able to hop over the obstacles with my Balance. I like to give them crap and say aren't 29ers supposed to roll over rocks better. I know modern 29ers are great, we just like giving each other a hard time. I hope Canfield will do more production runs of the polish or even the raw. My raw alu still looks great after 3 years of hard riding. Will be getting another when the time comes. Congrats Carl!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	1347407

We'll call this guy ol' #002. More to come. Thanks guys. Build today or build tomorrow? decisions, decisions.
    Thats gorgeous 😍.... Today!!!! I don't see a decision here. Lol.

Your bike sucks
    Ok - ride #1 is in the books on ol' 002. Hugely impressed.

I have to put this in some context. I completely rushed this build - it involved 2 donor bikes for part swaps and literally finished 30min before sunset. Was telling myself to set expectations low - nothing is sorted, need to adjust - that sort of thing.

I didn't get time to sort out the suspension - turn the spring until it didn't seem like it'd rattle loose, roughly count the # of clicks on the rebound...I don't even know where other adjustments would be...and here's the thing... It was better than my Patrol w/ the ElevenSix that I spent months fine tuning and adjusting.

Powered up the hills on full open, small bump sensitivity, magic carpet landings. It was fun to ride on a regular trail - snappy, responsive and not revealing it's 170mm travel. Maybe in a follow up, I'll contrast the ride experiences between the bikes if people want.

Happy with the fit too.

More to come, pics, impressions - oh yeah, my aluminium Patrol's final build weighed 35.9lbs (elevenSix, Smashpot coil lyric 170/180mm). Basically a full part swap onto the Balance - 34lbs on the button. XL for both. Booyah.
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 07-09-2020 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What shock are you using on your build today? Did you get the Jade-X already?

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by d0yled00nz View Post
    What shock are you using on your build today? Did you get the Jade-X already?
    Yup. Comes in a box w/ the frame. Some of the info on Canfield's site threw me off as they listed HSC/LSC comp settings but that would refer to a Jade vs. a JadeX.

JadeX settings:

Coil Preload - guessing my sag is around 25% mark
    Bladder Pressure - just recalibrated this to a bit over 180lbs
    Rebound - I'm around 30 clicks out from full close (CCW)
    3 way Comp lever - my entire ride was in open position, only tried Trail/Firm on the road

Everything was nicely packed (per usual). A bunch of goodies, swag and well wishes for being a pre-order.

I got caught a bit with my pants down yesterday, as I didn't expect that Fruita, CO to Durango, CO UPS would be so fast. The day previous I did a baseline ride on the Patrol - goal was to hit that same ride a few times so I could do a straight up comparison with the Balance; was thinking I have time for a few runs.

Anyway - different shake out trail on Balance yesterday but today, I'll hit that baseline-trail for some apples to apples. TBH it's a done deal and this is just information - the new kinematics here catered to me so obviously that I couldn't imagine reverting back to the Patrol. Yesterday's loop is something I've ridden 1000s of times and I know the Patrol's short-comings on it - none of which were present on the Balance.

EDIT:

A few pics. Forgive my cable routing - it's all temporary. Also - this is a borrowed dropper, this external one is my only 30.9 but I'll have a proper length internal routed one after I take some measurements.

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_0499.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_0500.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Finally! Nice looking ride

Yup. Comes in a box w/ the frame. Some of the info on Canfield's site threw me off as they listed HSC/LSC comp settings but that would refer to a Jade vs. a JadeX.

JadeX settings:

3 way Comp lever - my entire ride was in open position, only tried Trail/Firm on the road

Everything was nicely packed (per usual). A bunch of goodies, swag and well wishes for being a pre-order.

I got caught a bit with my pants down yesterday, as I didn't expect that Fruita, CO to Durango, CO UPS would be so fast. The day previous I did a baseline ride on the Patrol - goal was to hit that same ride a few times so I could do a straight up comparison with the Balance; was thinking I have time for a few runs.

Anyway - different shake out trail on Balance yesterday but today, I'll hit that baseline-trail for some apples to apples. TBH it's a done deal and this is just information - the new kinematics here catered to me so obviously that I couldn't imagine reverting back to the Patrol. Yesterday's loop is something I've ridden 1000s of times and I know the Patrol's short-comings on it - none of which were present on the Balance.

EDIT:

A few pics. Forgive my cable routing - it's all temporary. Also - this is a borrowed dropper, this external one is my only 30.9 but I'll have a proper length internal routed one after I take some measurements.

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	452.9 KB 
ID:	1347643

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	429.6 KB 
ID:	1347645

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Awesome to hear the first ride was already a successóbuild looks great!

Good catch on the Jade vs Jade X settings. We'll get that updated.

JadeX settings:

EDIT:

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	452.9 KB 
ID:	1347643

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	429.6 KB 
ID:	1347645

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Damn, that thing is a sexy beast! So glad Canfield is back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Jealous you got your's built so quickly! Mine will probably have to wait until this weekend....but I'm right behind ya. Very nice man!

Your bike sucks
    Awesome to hear the first ride was already a successóbuild looks great!
    Thanks! You guys make great bikes.

Today's ride really put it through the paces - bit of everything. People might see the 170mm and think "plow bike" but I think it's quite lively and playful. Unicorn all-rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by PattD View Post
    Jealous you got your's built so quickly! Mine will probably have to wait until this weekend....but I'm right behind ya. Very nice man!
    Wuz on it like white on rice. Looking forward to hear your impressions. Here's one last pic, more in it's element:

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_0501.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

deleted

deleted

Your bike sucks
    Come on new Balance owners... the Nimble crowd is really out pacing us with build reports.

Also - I'm well in triple digit miles on this bike, feel free to ask me anything if you are deciding to buy one.

I'm really happy with it btw. Not only better than I hoped it would be, but better than I thought it could be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Always wanted to do one of these photos...aaand I forgot the saddle.

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-fullsizerender-2.jpg

More to come of the finished product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_1138 View Post
    Always wanted to do one of these photos...aaand I forgot the saddle.

More to come of the finished product.
    Did you get the saddle with the skull? Thatís going to be a very colorful bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thatís because I already got the nimble 9. Waiting on a fork for the Balance. Told them they could ship everything together. Was supposed to get a DVO Onyx. They said they could get the ZEB next week in grey. Didnít know when the Onyx would come. I said ok till I saw it in gloss black. Iím waiting till they get the gloss black ZEB!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yessir on both accounts. Pretty stoked on how it turned out.

Did you get the saddle with the skull? Thatís going to be a very colorful bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    First ride of #024 is in the books!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_1685.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

#018 finally hit the dirt!

Coming from the 2016 balance, even with an 11-6, this bike is definitely an upgrade!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_2149.jpg  

mtbr member
    just a quick question, anyone planning on running the Balance with the 157mm option? 230x60 rear shock?

also wanted to share a quick update with my frame still in the wrappings waiting on a couple of parts to arrive.

hopefully new updates will come soon

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_20200715_155150-01.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-img_20200715_154943-01.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Good to hear. My Ď16 Balance is still my favorite bike ever. So better than that is great. Theyíre waiting on a fork before they ship mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

2020 Canfield Balance Limited Edition Custom Build

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-1.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-2.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-3.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-4.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-5.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-6.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-7.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-8.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-9.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don-10.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don00003.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don00008.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-don00010.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-don-monarch.jpg
    2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-don-monarch-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Thats a clean looking bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks!

Wasted no time getting it dirty. Almost felt bad!

Rides as good as she looks...

Quote Originally Posted by magnum5az View Post
    Thats a clean looking bike

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don_1138 View Post
    Rides as good as she looks...
    Glad to hear you like it. You and katsooba have such blingy builds, I was feeling bad having my journey-man build be the only one on display for a while.

Can't make out your rear shock - what you have going on there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Your build is solid!

It's a 2021 Fox DHX2 shock with a Ti Coil from Reactive Response Tech.

Wanted to run another Eleven Six, but doesn't look like they're doing any Canfield tunes at the moment. Fox feels great.

Glad to hear you like it. You and katsooba have such blingy builds, I was feeling bad having my journey-man build be the only one on display for a while.

Can't make out your rear shock - what you have going on there?

mtbr member

Got my balance built today. Large frame i9 hubs flow rims fox transfer dropper Chromag bars and stem hole cranks and bb Trp evo downhill brakes with 203 rotors custom painted dvo sc onyx fork king head set wolf tooth post clamp stem spacers jadex and box one 11 spd deive train. Love at first pedal

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow! I'm seriously getting so damn jealous seeing all of these bikes! I've been so busy at work and then I finally had a few extra mins to build and my BB tool for my King BB was the wrong size! I ordered it and should be here tomorrow. Then...................it's game on!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post

Got my balance built today. Large frame i9 hubs flow rims fox transfer dropper Chromag bars and stem hole cranks and bb Trp evo downhill brakes with 203 rotors custom painted dvo sc onyx fork king head set wolf tooth post clamp stem spacers jadex and box one 11 spd deive train. Love at first pedal

Love the purple fork with the polished frame!

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Custom purple fork matches the oil slick link and Jade perfectly. More pics

mtbr member
    Custom purple fork matches the oil slick link and Jade perfectly. More pics

Iím going to get a better ride in tonight on it. And hopefully get some more pics.

mtbr member
    How would this bike fair as a heavy duty trail bike? Built with ibis 742 wheels and 2.8 rubber?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    The Balance will clear a 2.8 tire in the rear. Frame width is 80mm.

Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    How would this bike fair as a heavy duty trail bike? Built with ibis 742 wheels and 2.8 rubber?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Absolutely perfect as a trail bike

mtbr member
    Thinking really hard about it. Anything special needed for cranks? No extra wide Q-factor or anything?

Bummer they don't have any more of the Jade X shocks in stock.

mtbr member
    Wow, just noticed only a two year warranty. Is that just because they know these certain bikes are going to get the snot ridden out of them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Perfecto! 2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-screenshot_20200804-154412_gallery.jpg

Your bike sucks
    Thinking really hard about it. Anything special needed for cranks? No extra wide Q-factor or anything?
    I'm running 168Q SRAM carbons with a proper amount of clearance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This thread needs some proper ride reports....how's it climb? pedal on the flats? handle tight twisty sections? Does it make the trail disappear or just takes off the edge? Hows the fit? Wish you sized down or up (I'm 5'10 so always between sizes).

mtbr member
    Iíve only had one real short ride on mine. Granted itís to much bike for my local trails but **** it. I was blown away how well such a big bike climbs. Handling is spot on and makes the ruff stuff disappear. In a couple weeks Iíll have it at trestle and Moab

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    This thread needs some proper ride reports....how's it climb? pedal on the flats? handle tight twisty sections? Does it make the trail disappear or just takes off the edge? Hows the fit? Wish you sized down or up (I'm 5'10 so always between sizes).
    Ha. I didn't want to personally over saturate the thread; had a lot of posts in there and figured other ppl would start getting theirs n all.

Alright tho - I've ridden mine 5-6x a week since I got it so just figure about 20 rides. And I'll start with - I love it. Almost like it was custom built for me. XL fit and geo is perfect for me. Love the finish and looks. But onto the performance impressions....

I have pretty mashy-standy pedalling style compared to most - put down the power vs. lightly spin. The CBF does really well here considering 170mm travel and coil. It doesn't needlessly wallow and is surprisingly crisp at the pedals. On long climbs, I'll do the 'trail' mode on the JadeX. Fireroad - I was surprised that I liked the 'firm' enough to actually use it. Open is, obviously, most compliant and most bouncy but it isn't too far off trail and does well enough that I either forget or don't bother with changing the mode if its not sustained. Reminds me of my DW IBIS which was a rocket. I'm back to being able to actually boost-off things going up hill - which is sweet. EDIT: I just thought of this - the STA is more slack than my Patrol, which I notice. So if you are a seated climber who is passionate about steep STA this is worth considering - no idea what it actually is, but it certainly more slack than my Stylus (posted 77) and Patrol (posted 77). Totally fine for me but thought it worth mentioning.

A surprise of the bike is how well it does on regular mtb trails. You do not need extreme terrain to enjoy this bike. If you like short-stays, this is right in line with that expected experience. I actually think its my best cornering bike. Keep in mind its still 170mm bike but it punches way above (below?) its weight here. Really really fun and not at all a drag to ride on well, everything.

In the chunk and downhill, I like the experience. I don't think its plow bike at all as it reacts to user input on a dime. It'll be interesting to see what others think here - as you could say, there's less inherent stability vs. accentuated agility. Soaks up the bumps great tho - composed & predictable. So for me, it caters to people who want to pop and jib on terrain confidently vs. plow through with maximum stability at speed. I've notice no harsh bottom outs nor the suspension getting packed up. Interestingly - I noticed that I used a lot less front travel (20%) than compared to my Patrol - I've been wondering if it's cause I'm sort of jibbing off terrain vs. bombing thru now; maybe more rear wheel contact and landings. Another thing I noticed was the agility aspect allowed me to correct mistakes with on the fly reactions where previously if I misjudged my last bike more or less had me along for the ride. I feel very confident on this bike - intuitively know what I can do and have complete faith that my landings will be composed.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ha. I didn't want to personally over saturate the thread; had a lot of posts in there and figured other ppl would start getting theirs n all.

Alright tho - I've ridden mine 5-6x a week since I got it so just figure about 20 rides. And I'll start with - I love it. Almost like it was custom built for me. XL fit and geo is perfect for me. Love the finish and looks. But onto the performance impressions....

I have pretty mashy-standy pedalling style compared to most - put down the power vs. lightly spin. The CBF does really well here considering 170mm travel and coil. It doesn't needlessly wallow and is surprisingly crisp at the pedals. On long climbs, I'll do the 'trail' mode on the JadeX. Fireroad - I was surprised that I liked the 'firm' enough to actually use it. Open is, obviously, most compliant and most bouncy but it isn't too far off trail and does well enough that I either forget or don't bother with changing the mode if its not sustained. Reminds me of my DW IBIS which was a rocket. I'm back to being able to actually boost-off things going up hill - which is sweet.

A surprise of the bike is how well it does on regular mtb trails. You do not need extreme terrain to enjoy this bike. If you like short-stays, this is right in line with that expected experience. I actually think its my best cornering bike. Keep in mind its still 170mm bike but it punches way above (below?) its weight here. Really really fun and not at all a drag to ride on well, everything.

In the chunk and downhill, I like the experience. I don't think its plow bike at all as it reacts to user input on a dime. It'll be interesting to see what others thing here - as you could say, there's less inherent stability vs. accentuated agility. Soaks up the bumps great tho - composed & predictable. So for me, it caters to people who want to pop and jib on terrain confidently vs. plow through with maximum stability at speed. I've notice no harsh bottom outs nor the suspension getting packed up. Interestingly - I noticed that I used a lot less front travel (20%) than compared to my Patrol - I've been wondering if it's cause I'm sort of jibbing off terrain vs. bombing thru now; maybe more rear wheel contact and landings. Another thing I noticed was the agility aspect allowed me to correct mistakes with on the fly reactions where previously if I misjudged my last bike more or less had me along for the ride. I feel very confident on this bike - intuitively know what I can do and have complete faith that my landings will be composed.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the great report, its exactly the type of info I was after. Do you think it is a "big" enough bike to compliment a modern short travel trail bike (Ibis Ripley V4)? Or does it sit comfortably in trail bike category?
    Looking for a bigger mountain/park bike to compliment my Ripley. Also got a 2016 SS Nimble 9 (my baby) and a PBJ DJ/pump track bike to round out my quiver

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Do you think it is a "big" enough bike to compliment a modern short travel trail bike (Ibis Ripley V4)?
    Most certainly. That's what it is. If you want to the split hairs on category... Enduro/SuperEnduro not Trail. Mine is built for all around riding which includes lift-serve. Just happens to be spunky enough to enjoy on regular trails.

To add- a short travel is probably a good companion bike to have.. some people don't want to lug around bigger heavier bikes all the time. Alternatively, if you want longer legs and only one bike this is a good choice there too IMHO. I only have a AM hard tail and this bike now - I'm satisfied with that range but lots of ways to skin that cat.

Let's hear some other impressions - I'm talking too much.

mtbr member
    Iíve got the balance and a2018 nimble9 and still have my 2016 epo. Wish I would have kept my riot now. But oh well

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Cool-blue Rhythm MRP Coil Edition Now In Stock!

Complete builds of the Canfield Balance are back in stock, now with an all-new MRP Coil Edition.

A locally sourced MRP Ribbon Coil fork and Hazzard Coil shock tame the roughest trails and offer the perfect complement to the patented CBFô suspension. Industry 9 1/1 Enduro wheels and a SRAM GX 12-speed drivetrain offer the perfect blend of performance and reliability.

The MRP Coil Edition Balance is available in Deep Space, Desert Loam and extremely limited quantities of the Limited Edition raw polished frame with oil slick links.

SEE MORE OF THE MRP COIL EDITION BALANCE

Have something else in mind?
    Drop us a line and let us build your dream bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-deep-space-mrp-front-quarter.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-deep-space-mrp-shock-quarter.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-desert-loam-mrp-front-quarter.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-desert-loam-mrp-shock-quarter.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-le-mrp-front-quarter-.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-le-mrp-shock.jpg  

2020 Canfield Balance (Limited Edition!)-canfield-balance-le-mrp-fork.jpg