Thread: 2019 Bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2019 Bikes?

Men...women....children....I'm jonesin' for a new Canfield. Been on the Nimble 9.and Balance for a while now. I'm buying a new bike and I really want a new Canfield!!!! If you just tell me it's going to take a while to get your shit together I get it...no complaints....I'm empathetic to the purgatory you must be living in currently....but I just dont want to pull the trigger on another bike to "get me by" and you guys roll out the reinvention of the wheel....or electricity or something. Ive researched and test ridden adnauseum and nothing compares. You guys were light years ahead in a great, small, American business. You beat the field of conglomerates and weren't beholden to the rules of large scale manufacturing. You did it your way and your crew of merry men and women love it. Just open up your hearts to your cast of fans and let us know what's on the horizon.

Keeping the Canfield stoke alive in spirit! Here's to 2019
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Iíve been on my epo riot balance since 2016 and added a nimble9 this pst spring and as much I want to see what they bring out. My bikes were so far ahead of almost every one elseís that Iím good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    Wanted a new Riot. Bought a Mondraker Foxy 29 instead. Just couldn't wait any longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    There's Instagram post that are vague, and the big bike prototype being raced. Im hoping that this means testing for bikes in 2019. Im really replying so ill get notifications if someone else knows something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Here's your new Riot benchmark.

https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/offering

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I saw that! I hope these guys bring something to market but not holding out hope

I'm with stupid
    subscribed for updates

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Here's your new Riot benchmark.

https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/offering
    Hard to get excited about it with the price points of all the Horst DTC offerings.

mtbr member
    Actually the Yeti SB130 and 150 are both slacker than the Offering while retaining the nice steep effective 77 deg STA that the Riot has so... a better benchmark if you ask me. In fact Evil didn't even embrace the shorter fork offset for their builds... NO THANKS! The price for both bikes is rather bothersome tho! I'm holding out to see what the new Jeffsy looks like in January. Definitely not holding my breath for a new Riot but it is becoming rather obvious that the other manufacturers are copying the Riot's geometry for the "new gen" of 29'r bikes.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Agreed...2019 Jeffrey rumors are a lot more interesting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Iíve been on my epo riot balance since 2016 and added a nimble9 this pst spring and as much I want to see what they bring out. My bikes were so far ahead of almost every one elseís that Iím good

People have been trying to sell me a new bike for the two years I've had my riot, couldn't agree more with the above. Other bikes are just starting to catch up to the feel of this bike, but the riot still pedals better than the other mid travel 29r bikes built by any large company.

Hoping to see some signs of life in the way of newer frames, otherwise I might cave and go the route of GGs The Smash in another year or so.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    People have been trying to sell me a new bike for the two years I've had my riot, couldn't agree more with the above. Other bikes are just starting to catch up to the feel of this bike, but the riot still pedals better than the other mid travel 29r bikes built by any large company.

Hoping to see some signs of life in the way of newer frames, otherwise I might cave and go the route of GGs The Smash in another year or so.
    Pretty much every new long travel or aggressive 29 bike is adopting the riots geo. My balance pedals way better then any other bike in its segment Iíve tried out. And I run mine with a coil shock. Matter of fact I was just out in Duluth pedaling and riding park on my balance. After riding cfb suspension I find myself not liking the others much at all. I road a new foes fxr at my local tails a couple weeks ago. And while it was a good decending bike. It just doesnít pedal like my balance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    @CSquared c'mon man! Here's a link to my bank account just take out what you need to get this party started.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Pretty much every new long travel or aggressive 29 bike is adopting the riots geo. My balance pedals way better then any other bike in its segment Iíve tried out. And I run mine with a coil shock. Matter of fact I was just out in Duluth pedaling and riding park on my balance. After riding cfb suspension I find myself not liking the others much at all. I road a new foes fxr at my local tails a couple weeks ago. And while it was a good decending bike. It just doesnít pedal like my balance.

Not to sound like a fan boy but Ive yet to find an efficient platform that doesn't hang up except for CFB. Every time ive tested a bike it left me disappointed. So I'm going stick with my Riot and wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I know a few people that will be in the market for a new bike next spring. They ask me for recommendations since I've ridden many bikes and I tell them Canfields are the best riding bikes out there. I love my Balance, ride it on park days to epic days. Does everything great. Hope they have things worked out soon because there will be a few potential customers opening their wallets including myself.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Genuine curiosity: What specifically are you guys finding so groundbreaking about the Riot that other brands have copied? Iím a big fan of the brand and have owned 5 or 6 Canfields over the years.

That said ó and Iím not trying to be a d!ck ó I did not think my Riot was revolutionary. The suspension had a nice feel and the bike pedaled fine. But super-heavy AND flexy in the rear. If Iím lugging around an extra 2 or 3 pounds over other competing frames, I expect it to be stiff.

I guess the super-short rear on a suspension bike was pretty radical at the time. Made the bike poppy and fun on certain trails. But in Phoenix on high-speed, gnar trails, the Riot was pretty sketchy if Iím being honest.

Youíll note most of the better-performing rigs today sport longer chainstays.

Again, Iím not knocking the bike, though it definitely was not for me. Would be stoked to have Canfield back in action.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Genuine curiosity: What specifically are you guys finding so groundbreaking about the Riot that other brands have copied? Iím a big fan of the brand and have owned 5 or 6 Canfields over the years.

That said ó and Iím not trying to be a d!ck ó I did not think my Riot was revolutionary. The suspension had a nice feel and the bike pedaled fine. But super-heavy AND flexy in the rear. If Iím lugging around an extra 2 or 3 pounds over other competing frames, I expect it to be stiff.

I guess the super-short rear on a suspension bike was pretty radical at the time. Made the bike poppy and fun on certain trails. But in Phoenix on high-speed, gnar trails, the Riot was pretty sketchy if Iím being honest.

Youíll note most of the better-performing rigs today sport longer chainstays.

Again, Iím not knocking the bike, though it definitely was not for me. Would be stoked to have Canfield back in action.
    Ill give you my honest take on your question. An agressive geo 140mm 29er was a new Idea when the Riot came out, Itso was 77į STA and Chainstays less than 17" , The suspension peddles as well as a DW link bike but stays active. The switchblade and Hightower came a bit later but they are not the best tech climbers IMHO there's a bit of hang up due to the spike in anti squat at sag. Now the new Offering, Smash and Fugitive are close to the Riot in Geo the chainstays are not as short but still sub 17". Most companies aren't sporting longer chainstays because its better but because it's hard to get the travel in the rear with them that short with their current design. 414mm may be too short for some. But the above mentioned are a little longer if a little more stability is needed.

The Riot could be stiffer, lighter and take a longer fork to keep up with the rear. I think this is why most people are impatient about a newer one self included.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Don't have a Riot, however, own a Balance. It is the most versatile bike I've owned in the 20 plus years I hwve ridden. The Balance takes a Plus tire up to 2.8", pedals up hill well, slays the downhill, can do standard or Boost hubs, can handle a dual crown fork, works well with either an air or coil shock. I've ran my Balance in all these configurations and they all work with great success. I don't know of many bikes that can do that. It's like having a new bike every time a setting is changed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I haven't tried the 2.8 yet, but have run 2.8 front x 2.5 rear. I'm stoked on my Balance but knowing what these guys are capable of hoping they roll something out this coming year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    As my brother has decided to sell his business and go sail the world... he gave me his bikes and gear to get rid of.

Along with probably 8 pairs of barely-used 5tens (he loves shoes I guess!), he gave me his 2013 Jedi and 2012 The ONE, and his extra parts bin which included a Fox 40 Kashima.

Both of his bikes were in need of maintenance and rebuilding, so I started with the Jedi, stripped it down and rebuilt with some new drive train parts and got it all spiffy. She will be up for sale this week! Next, I moved onto The ONE... Along with some new drive train components and a general clean-up, I decided to toss the 40 on it and use it as a pedal-able downhill bike.

Now... a little backstory... I had a 2013 ONE that I rode HARD for 4 full years, summer and winter riding. Trestle, AF, Keystone, Steamboat, Moab, Bootleg, all over the CO Front Range, and the occasional 30 mile ride at Buffalo Creek. This bike did it all. I ended up selling it to a friend that was begging for it with his wallet. I didn't want to sell it, but he offered me a very shiny penny which allowed me to build a primo 2017 Balance.

My Balance is an amazing bike, no doubt! Something about it, though, just wasn't as good as The ONE. Carbon wheels, bars, cranks, X01 shifting, DVO suspension, etc... My Balance is built to the hilt! I managed to get it down to about 33 lbs with Cush Core inserts and Maxxis DD casings. Yes, I could probably shave a few lbs here and there, but with my riding style, I'd end up breaking and flatting more than I want to, so I build my bikes with more concern for durability than for weight. Even with as much as I put into the Balance, I still missed my ONE.

Now that I've had the Balance for a bit over a year, The ONE comes back into my stable and... honestly... I haven't been this excited for a "new" bike in some time! A bit of clean up, some new shifting bits, Fox 40 on the front, BAM! A 36 lb trail slaying machine is re-born! Oddly enough, I ended up riding UPS down to the river last week with the friend I sold my ONE to, so I decided to bring my new ONE along for the ride, fully equipped with the 40. On the shuttle up there were some comments and some laughs about riding a "DH" bike on the Porcupine, but the laughing ceased when I was passing them with their 29er "long travel" 140mm bikes on my 6 year old, 26" wheeled, 36lb, 200mm travel ONE. Along the ride, the term "Down-Duro" was dubbed for my newest stable addition.

I haven't been this happy with a new bike addition since I got my first ONE back in '11. This bike will be staying with me until one of us is unable to ride...

Tl;Dr Version: Ride what makes you happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great post! Post a pic of that beast sometime

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Come on Bros!! We need some intel!!

mtbr member
    I really want a new full-suspension bike next year. Something in the 130mm to 140mm rear travel range, 29er. Basically a full suspension nimble 9. No carbon either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by marc927 View Post
    I really want a new full-suspension bike next year. Something in the 130mm to 140mm rear travel range, 29er. Basically a full suspension nimble 9. No carbon either.
    Current Riot fits the bill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

New IG teaser out

A new teaser out on instagram today.2019 Bikes?-canfield-teaser.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameiza View Post
    A new teaser out on instagram today.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canfield teaser.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1219996
    I don't care about carbon but I get that they want to get that thing out of the pipeline. With the delays I hope they can still be aggressive forward looking geometry. Also hope they avoid trunnion.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfuUIaGBpaE/?hl=en

"vorsprungsuspensionTrunnion mount... someone remind me why weíre doing this one again? Stiffer mounts to transfer more side loading to the shock, aluminium threads under heavy single shear load in the most expensive part of the shock (currently not available as a spare from at least one major manufacturer either, hopefully that changes because who wants to replace a whole shock because one bolt came loose), more part numbers along with less availability of each one, all for about 20mm more clearance above the shock that nobody is actually making use of anyway...? Exactly what problem were we trying to solve here?"

mtbr member
    @Cerberus75
    I ride a large, no larges in stock

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    I don't care about carbon but I get that they want to get that thing out of the pipeline. With the delays I hope they can still be aggressive forward looking geometry. Also hope they avoid trunnion.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfuUIaGBpaE/?hl=en

"vorsprungsuspensionTrunnion mount... someone remind me why weíre doing this one again? Stiffer mounts to transfer more side loading to the shock, aluminium threads under heavy single shear load in the most expensive part of the shock (currently not available as a spare from at least one major manufacturer either, hopefully that changes because who wants to replace a whole shock because one bolt came loose), more part numbers along with less availability of each one, all for about 20mm more clearance above the shock that nobody is actually making use of anyway...? Exactly what problem were we trying to solve here?"
    I don't see a trunnion mount, but it would not surprise me. That is the way things are moving. Carbon is the "thing" for light and stiff. Id rather see more hydroform aluminum like Knolly but most people want plastic theses days. If they came out with that upper link and the ability to run a longer fork id be happy.

J:
    Those cranks 150s?
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That pretty much sums it up.

I've been around the Riot, I would have considered one, but I'm a big guy and I need a less noodley frame. An upgraded Riot, stiffer, lighter, stronger, that would check all the boxes.

I bought a Smash, it's got a longer chainstay, but overall geo is solid and it climbs like a goat. Also no flex and very unlikely to break. Made in the USA. Maybe Canfield could follow GG's model?

Canfield has a good reputation, they can keep it if they come back with a solid product.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Ill give you my honest take on your question. An agressive geo 140mm 29er was a new Idea when the Riot came out, Itso was 77į STA and Chainstays less than 17" , The suspension peddles as well as a DW link bike but stays active. The switchblade and Hightower came a bit later but they are not the best tech climbers IMHO there's a bit of hang up due to the spike in anti squat at sag. Now the new Offering, Smash and Fugitive are close to the Riot in Geo the chainstays are not as short but still sub 17". Most companies aren't sporting longer chainstays because its better but because it's hard to get the travel in the rear with them that short with their current design. 414mm may be too short for some. But the above mentioned are a little longer if a little more stability is needed.

The Riot could be stiffer, lighter and take a longer fork to keep up with the rear. I think this is why most people are impatient about a newer one self included.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

2 wheel drifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

I've been around the Riot, I would have considered one, but I'm a big guy and I need a less noodley frame. An upgraded Riot, stiffer, lighter, stronger, that would check all the boxes.

I bought a Smash, it's got a longer chainstay, but overall geo is solid and it climbs like a goat. Also no flex and very unlikely to break. Made in the USA. Maybe Canfield could follow GG's model?

Canfield has a good reputation, they can keep it if they come back with a solid product.
    And as proof that no one bike is perfect for everyone, I'm on the lighter side and find the amount of frame flex just about perfect!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

I thik GG has figured out the modular idea well. Different bikes with the same frame set up differently with links and components. Like the automobile industry has figured out a while ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Blatant: Just my perspective: I have a Balance and a GG SMash. I love both bikes and they both provide awesomeness in my life. I chose the Smash over the Riot due to the reports of flex and I know the GG guys well and they design their bikes stiff AF. I'm 235# so flex comes with any rear end. I was riding the GG Megatrail and Trail Pistol, but have been wanting to add the Balance to my stable for years...so once the Smash came to life I sold the Megatrail and Trail Pistol and swapped to the Balance and Smash. It's the best of both worlds having those bikes. What I'd love to see is the 29" version of the Balance...which seems like may be an offering for CF down the road...if they come back around. I feel like I can ride my 165mm Balance on just about any ride and don't feel overbiked. THe shorter chainstays make that bike extremely agile. I, personally just feel like the CBF suspension is somewhat magical. The GG guys have their bikes dialed as well, but they're also still putting out bikes, so part of the mystic is that CF Bros are on a secretive hiatus! If someone taketh away, we wanteth to get it back!!!!!!!!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My comment was more specific to the Riot. I had a Smash, too, and a Mega early on. The Smash definitely wasnít for me but I think what GG does as a company is pretty great.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    I don't social media and only check this forum section on occasion. What is the deal with Canfield? Did something happen? Their website and online store are a mess. The website only shows 2017 bikes and the store doesn't tell you what bike sizes are available (at least for the EPO).

I really like my EPO and was considering building up another for my wife. But i would be in the future market of a Canfield Carbon Full suspension, if that ever happened.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't have any firsthand knowledge, however from reading through the threads on this forum sounds like there might have been a little bit of a glitch in manufacturing something new last season that threw them off course. Being a small company, manufacturing issues can wreak havoc on your cash flow. I only wish these guys the best, as they have been forward thinkers for so long. I can only imagine if they can get things figured out they'll continue to lead the way in progressive suspension designs going forward. The CBF is as good as it gets! Depending upon the timing then ever releasing something new, the hard part is going to be keeping things at stock as I know an assload of people snatch up their new bike within seconds of it being released.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wonder how many people out there are like me and who would love a replacement for the ONE but are afraid nothing will ever quite equal it. 26" wheels may be SO yesterday but when the package is perfect...
    I also wonder if the whole idea of 200mm travel will be replaced with bigger wheels/less travel except on race bikes.

That may make a faster bike but for my money big travel has its own advantages. It seems beyond travel the industry is headed away from what attracts me to the ONE. I dont get why everyone wants fast steering, short chain stays, big bars and super flickablity- its a 30 something pound bike, not a 240lb motorcycle. I do realize that bikes are slacker now then ever but still seems there is a lot of focus on extreme nimbleness.

I get this all the time- does it turn? dont those short bars fight you? how do you manual? how can it climb? The answer is the same, it does it all very very well with no drama and thats why I'm on the trail talking to you...calm and relaxed(not looking like I snorted an eightball).
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

I'm with stupid
    I decided that the balance will be the machine of choice for the year. I just cannot find a better all around bike for my style than it. I love my riot, but when going fast is the mission it is super hard to beat the balance. I hope the company is not dead because I cannot wait to see what comes next.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I decided that the balance will be the machine of choice for the year. I just cannot find a better all around bike for my style than it. I love my riot, but when going fast is the mission it is super hard to beat the balance. I hope the company is not dead because I cannot wait to see what comes next.
    I feel the same way. Just had my balance down to windrock last weekend. And with the addition of the ribbon coil to the front and raze coil on the rear. This bike just slays!!

I'm with stupid
    11-6 on mine. think I need a coil front to match

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    11-6 on mine. think I need a coil front to match
    An alternative to a front coil is getting an Avalanche Cartridge Upgrade for your Fork.
    Instant Custom, it's "Balanced" my suspension.

2019 Bikes?-20170312_110004_resized_1.jpg

2019 Bikes?-20181216_112937_resized_1.jpg

mtbr member
    When I was gunning for my first 29er a Mk2 Riot was at the top of my list and I just assumed that I'd get one, but the waiting got ridiculous. I ended up on a GG Smash which is amazing for me and my riding needs.

I'm sad I didn't get a Canfield in the fleet, but you gotta keep making bikes or people will move on.

I hope the Brothers are able to turn the ship around. I sympathize with their situation. It's hard to make new product without money and it's hard to make money without product to sell. The classic catch-22.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com