2016 N9 sizing help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2016 N9 sizing help

I've been told that I should buy a large.....I'm 6'1". I've always had a large Yelli but the top tube and reach is longer. It seems like the 23.5 tt on the N9 may be too small. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is it b/c of the seat tube angle difference? Sorry, forgot to ask that.

mtbr member
    @briandwyer.

I have a similar issue as you, but I am a tall 5'11" with a 33 inch inseam. The differences in the sizing between the yelli and nimble 9 are throwing me off on whether I should go L or XL on the size. I just sent the following to the canfield support

Here is my background. I am 5'11" with 33inch inseam and 27inch long arms and currently ride a Large Yelli Screamy setup with a 140mm fork and 65mm stem. I love my Yelli except I have one issue that I think can be remedied by going to the Nimble. Whenever I climb a steep (15% grade or higher) section of trail, my front wheel wanders and lofts a bit unless I shift my weight forward. However, when I do that I tend to lose traction in the rear wheel and spin out and end up walking. This happens whether I am sitting or standing. I have changed about every aspect of the bike I can think of including stem length (50mm to 90mm), travel between 100mm and 140mm and seat height. Putting the stem out to 90mm helps the most but still doesn't fix the issue. Plus, I really don't like to run my stem that long if I can avoid it. Besides the steep climbing traction, the yelli rips and I love it.

For comparison, I also have a 2013 Norco Sight 650b size large. I don't have any such traction issues on this bike, feel comfortable on it and the bike is still very easy to manual with the chainstays at 16.9 and the stem at 60mm.

So when I put all the geometry measurements side by side between my norco, yelli and the nimble 9 L and XL, the XL Nimble is nearly the same in every category including ETT, Reach and Seat tube angle as the Norco. I've read a bunch of the MTBR threads on the nimble and all people I see have been recommended to ride a Large are under 6 feet which is why I am hesitant on pulling the trigger on the XL. I obviously don't want a bike that feels too big under me, but I feel like the longer effective top tube and reach along with a steeper seat tube angle, would put me in a better position for climbing on the XL Nimble.

On the other hand, perhaps just having the steeper seat tube angle of the Nimble 9 is enough to remedy the climbing traction issues. But when I look at the reach of the Large Nimble it's shorter than my Large yelli by .7 inches. The XL Nimble has nearly the same reach as the L Yelli. My large norco has a reach of 17.5. I prefer to stand when I climb unless it's a really long climb so I am more concerned with reach than effective top tube length.

Is my line of thinking correct here on leaning towards the XL Nimble?

Chris Bling
    I am 5'8" and am on a Large. With the 20 inch seatpost being what it is, I got pretty lucky since my seatpost height is as low as it will go and it is right where I need it. For you, I would be concerned about if you will even be able to ride the larger size with the longer seat tube. Before you make up your mind, make sure your dropper will fit (if you are running a dropper).
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Canfield responded very quickly and recommended the large for the Nimble 9. I can't wrap my head around the numbers. The difference in the effective top tube is 1.3 inches plus I wanted to go from a 65mm stem to a 50mm stem so add in another 0.6 inches and that is nearly 1.9 inches shorter going from a Large Yelli to a Large Nimble 9. I just need to find someone with a Large Nimble and ride it because I know the Nimble isn't just a steel version of the Yelli with same geometry. Besides, I think I'd rather wait and see if they release the Chrome Nimble again while I ride what I have.
    @Dustyduke22 good point on the dropper, I do run one.