Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Colorado Yeti Rider!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    the RS stealth is NOT available in the 150mm travel for 30.6 tube.
    Thanks for that info. So I guess that narrows my choice down to 150mm KS LEV with or with the stealth routing. Hard for me to tell which cable routing would look more clean.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ride report: Took it out for it's maiden voyage today. Must say this thing is SWEET. Rides very well, super plush. Pedals nice, climbs nice, jumps very well and decends really well. So glad I decided to go this route. Thanx Canfield bros. you guys make a great product. Keep up the good work.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    Thanks for that info. So I guess that narrows my choice down to 150mm KS LEV with or with the stealth routing. Hard for me to tell which cable routing would look more clean.

I ran my stealth reverb cable through the seat tube port and zip-tied it along the bottom brake/rear derailleur cables instead of routing it along the top tube. I think it looks neater this way IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    I ran my stealth reverb cable through the seat tube port and zip-tied it along the bottom brake/rear derailleur cables instead of routing it along the top tube. I think it looks neater this way IMHO.
    Same here.

mtbr member
    Ok, she's finally built but still a virgin as i'm waiting for the downtube and chainstays rigid protections to get here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Dunno about the KS offerings, but the RS stealth is NOT available in the 150mm travel for 30.6 tube. The ONLY 150mm travel they have is for the 31.9 seat tube.
    I believe the seat tube measurement is 30.9 not 30.6. I went with the KS LEV, routed the cable down the top tube, nice clean line to the post. Nice thing about the KS, you can arrange the actuator anywhere you want it, front, side, back of post.

mtbr member

I am very pleased with how my build turned out. I'm still waiting for the new XTR 9020 Trails brakes to be released. I am considering a 150mm Stealth dropper post. The MRP AMG guide doesn't fit with the oversized Race Face BSA30 BB and needed modification to fit. I am very happy with the suspension performance, the Climb Switch on the shock works really well. I am a fan of the rear wheel path and it helps the bike from getting hung up on in technical rocks both up and down. I am 5'11" 200 lbs and the Large frame fits me perfect, comfortable but can still throw it around. This bike is really fun to Whip. Can t wait for race season and the bike parks to open back up.
    Nice steed. Since your avatar is a Yeti, I was wondering if u have tried the SB5/6c and compare it with the Balance in terms of climb/decent capabilities. Putting weight and cost aside.
    Let's ride...

mtbr member
    Here's the link to the rigid frame protections AMYGOS - Balance
    Will post some pics of mine when they arrive and are installed.

mtbr member
    Ok as promised here are some pics of the protections already installed.

Before:

After: (removed the sticker, of course)

My Balance will have her maiden ride this weekend

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Ok as promised here are some pics of the protections already installed.

Before:

After: (removed the sticker, of course)

My Balance will have her maiden ride this weekend
    Is that helicopter tape underneath the rigid frame protection thing?
    Any idea on weight?

mtbr member
    Yeah it's helicopter tape, but it's thinner than the one (gloss) i usually use on my bikes.
    Weight of the tape is negligible... regarding the rigid protections i haven't weight then but is just a few grams, so, IMO, also negligible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BTTR View Post
    Yeah it's helicopter tape, but it's thinner than the one (gloss) i usually use on my bikes.
    Weight of the tape is negligible... regarding the rigid protections i haven't weight then but is just a few grams, so, IMO, also negligible.
    sorry I meant weight of the complete bike. Didn't see that mentioned any where in your post so was just curious

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    sorry I meant weight of the complete bike. Didn't see that mentioned any where in your post so was just curious
    Hahahaha, ok.
    I did find odd the question about the weight of the protections.

It has 14.3kg

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i find xpel stealth clear bra has better match to the frame color.

Canfield Brothers
    I built it, now I'm showing it. I love the Balance. Thanks to Photo John for the fantastic shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-photo-john.jpg  

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

mtbr member
    Thats the best bike shot of them all... Lance! That in Moab from the last trip?

Canfield Brothers
    Yea, Slickrock trail, It's been a great month. Both work and riding has been all time.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    I built it, now I'm showing it. I love the Balance. Thanks to Photo John for the fantastic shot.
    I agree, I love the Balance aswell, best riding bike I've ever owned. Thanks Lance and Cris.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike View Post
    That's awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Not an action pic, but.... it's from her maiden ride yesterday.
    Love it!!! Coming from a Blur LTC and a Nomad C i was kind of "afraid" about the Balance weight, but once on the move i didn't really felt it

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sweet!

+1 This bike hides it weight some how. Unbelievable pedaling and manuals easier than anything I've ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Best bike Iv'e had to date and Iv'e been fortunate to have some pretty nice rides. Mine weighs in at 30 even and I swear it pedals easier than my wifes 27lb Tallboy. I was worried that i was giving up to much suspension when I sold my "One" but this bike absolutely kills the downhills also! I planned on getting a light weight 29er when I was building this bike but I really dont see the need anymore. It pedals just well as any 29er iv'e owned and way funner to boot. If I raced XC i would definitely see the need for a 29er, but for every day riding this bike does awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Best bike Iv'e had to date and Iv'e been fortunate to have some pretty nice rides. Mine weighs in at 30 even and I swear it pedals easier than my wifes 27lb Tallboy. I was worried that i was giving up to much suspension when I sold my "One" but this bike absolutely kills the downhills also! I planned on getting a light weight 29er when I was building this bike but I really dont see the need anymore. It pedals just well as any 29er iv'e owned and way funner to boot. If I raced XC i would definitely see the need for a 29er, but for every day riding this bike does awesome!
    Confused - Thank you for the kind words. Glad you are stoked!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Stoked isn't even the word, I feel like a little kid on Christmas day that got that one big gift he's been dying to have!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Dang, the only bike where there is not one bad thing said about it. when's the next batch coming in, should've pulled the trigger when I had the chance. Now I have to wait. Been looking at other bikes, but nothing seems to compare except maybe the Uprising. Just hoping the wife doesn't find my hidden bike fund. Wonder when I can order so I don't miss out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Confused..... I feel that way when I jump on any of my Canfield Brothers bikes.... they do everything I ask and even make up for my shortcomings on the bike... lol

yep
    Looking to build a Balance this winter. It'll be the first time I've built a bike. If I'm looking to run a SRAM X1 group, what's a good BB option?

Aiming for a $6k budget.

Stans/Hope wheels.
    Guide brakes.
    X1 Drivetrain.
    Reverb.
    Raceface cockpit.
    Pike.

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yboc View Post
    Looking to build a Balance this winter. It'll be the first time I've built a bike. If I'm looking to run a SRAM X1 group, what's a good BB option?

Aiming for a $6k budget.

Stans/Hope wheels.
    Guide brakes.
    X1 Drivetrain.
    Reverb.
    Raceface cockpit.
    Pike.
    ThreadFit 24 Bottom Bracket | Chris King Precision Components (with #13 conversion kit for the SRAM stepped spindle)

BOTTOM BRACKETS FOR GXP CRANKSETS <I've heard good things about these RWC Enduro bearing bb's

or a Hope external with the GXP conversion shims

I've got a King bb on two different bikes (The One, and a Bandit), both with SRAM cranks, and it's a bullet-proof setup. Very easy to service too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Dang, the only bike where there is not one bad thing said about it. when's the next batch coming in, should've pulled the trigger when I had the chance. Now I have to wait. Been looking at other bikes, but nothing seems to compare except maybe the Uprising. Just hoping the wife doesn't find my hidden bike fund. Wonder when I can order so I don't miss out.

Having owned both I can say the uprising is more nimble and "quick." The balance is longer legged while not feeling it, pedals every bit as good, but absorbs big hits much smoother.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Can't get the damn pic to load, shizzle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks,I was hoping someone had experience with both.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalas2 View Post
    Dang, the only bike where there is not one bad thing said about it.
    Two things that are really just nitpicking. I do wish the frame was a bit lighter...maybe 7lbs with CCDBAirCS would be sweet, and that the FD mount was removable.

As a suggestion to the Bros, the new Ibis HD3 coming out has a neat solution to this. The FD mount is a 90 degree elbow and bolts to the back of the seat stay. So if you decide to run no FD, the mount can be removed and you don't see anything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phuphyter View Post

I know I still need to cut the brake lines, it's just that I'd rather ride.

31.12 lbs/14.12 kg

Frame: Canfield Balance (small) Brushed/Green Links
    Fork: Pike 650b 160mm
    Shock: Cane Creek DB Air CS
    Bars: Easton Haven
    Stem: Truativ 40mm
    Brakes: Shimano XT 180/160
    Shifter: Shimano XT
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb
    Saddle: Selle
    Chain: Shimano 10 spd
    Crank:Sram X1
    Chainring: Spiderless 30T Wolftooth
    Pedals: Wellgo
    Cassette: Shimano XT 1x10 11-42 (wolf tooth 42t and 16t cog)
    Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Wheelset: Syntace W40 26" Hadley Hub rear/ Hope Evo front
    Tires: 2.4 Continental Mountain Kings

Upcoming minor mods: switch to a medium cage deraileur with a OneUp Rad cage, MRP bashguard, Hans Dampf in the front, cut front brake lines, new saddle.

How do you like the Syntace w40's? I'm considering the W35's but the 40's look intriguing. Are they too wide?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have no complaints whatsoever about the wheels. On this bike, they're not even close to being too wide if you're concerned about fitting the frame.

When it comes to handling, I'm not the most aggressive rider and my current abilities don't come close to testing the at-the-limit feel, but they feel awesome to me! In addition to the bike that I'm on, I'm more confident in flat, sandy turns and being pointed downhill knowing that I have a wider footprint with wide wheels to support the tire sidewalls.

I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Since this thread is about the Balance, I'm loving it. Like I said above and echoing everyone else's praise, this bike has me trying stuff that I wouldn't consider on my previous bike.

keepin' it rural
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    Thank you! I'm 5'7".
    Hi Kameraguy, I am also 5' 7" and im trying to decide between the med and the large. I was able to ride a large this weekend and I thought it would feel way to big for me, but I didn't feel as out of place on it as I thought, which really has me on the fence. Were you able to try a large as well before you went with the medium? Do you feel cramped on the med at all?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    Hi Kameraguy, I am also 5' 7" and im trying to decide between the med and the large. I was able to ride a large this weekend and I thought it would feel way to big for me, but I didn't feel as out of place on it as I thought, which really has me on the fence. Were you able to try a large as well before you went with the medium? Do you feel cramped on the med at all?
    @ summud: if you give those guys a call up there at Canfield bros. they can guide you to which size you need. Sean was very helpful when I called them. Just a thought. Nothing but good vibes every time I have called them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    Summud - At 5'7" we would recommend a Medium for sure! I'm 5'6" and can ride both a Small or a Medium, but prefer a Small for its nimbleness. While a Large might be OK for you for pedaling around, a medium should give you an overall better feel, especially when it's time to get aggressive. (After all isn't that what the Balance is really about?) At the end of the day sizing is ALWAYS a personal preference.

Seriously though, feel free to give us a call with any sizing questions!

mtbr member
    Hi summud, I didn't try a large but based on the feedback I received from Canfield, a M was suggested. And it fits great. It actually feels ideal with the 40mm stem and 740mm bars I'm currently running. I think a L would be too long for our height. But by all means give them a call to confirm.

Edit: looks like Vin replied a minute before me hehe. Confirmed that M is the ticket!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Since this thread is about the Balance, I'm loving it. Like I said above and echoing everyone else's praise, this bike has me trying stuff that I wouldn't consider on my previous bike.
    So stoked to hear the Balance is helping everyone push their riding limits! I know I have pulled a few moves off that I would NEVER considered on a "trail" bike before! HAHA!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Anyone here demo an Ibis HD3 or even try an older Ibis who can compare it to the new Balance ? Or even someone who's ridden a recent DW link bike like a Mach 6 ?

mtbr member
    My friend will be getting his HD3 hopefully any day now so I hope to compare it to the balance soon. No doubt it will be much lighter. I think his bike will be around 27lbs easy.

I had the original Ibis Mojo, and also now have a DW Turner 5.spot. These have been some of the best pedaling bikes I've ever been on. I love DW link.

The Balance is fantastic too. I don't feel like anything is lost when pedaling the Balance. But I like the geometry even more on the Balance. It is amazing in that it climbs efficiently, but I find it more confident of a decender.

I've tried a Mach 6 before and it's fine too. I just didn't like the cosmetics of it.
    Last edited by kameraguy; 12-05-2014 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

squish, squish in da fish
    lol, tp can we please get a proper pic of your whip? i wanna see details like what x fusion & what's on the ends of those nice braided lines. those carbon levers remind me of xo

Canfield Brothers
    Did you magic marker your logo? Looks great.
    www.mtbparks.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    more pics later. I had vinyl stickers made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bike has older parts since i cant afford new parts.

avid elixir cr and x0 kit

xfusion sweep forks

mtbr member
    looks good!!!! now flip it back over for a upright pic!!!

like the sticker kit. shyte, i wish i had the $$$ to buy a frame to put old parts on

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I seen that orange Canfield decal on the down tube and I had to go look at my bike to see if I had the same decal in black.......Nope! Great idea though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!

Which would be a better fork for the balance? The x-fusion sweep or the fox 34 with Avalanche racing cartridge? Both would be run at 160mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Hope LE Fire Red!

Needs a few adjustments and I think a revamped set of wheels somewhere down the road...

X-Fusion Metric HLR (160mm)
    X-Fusion Vector Air RC
    X-Fusion Hilo Strate seatpost
    RaceFace Sixc Cinch cranks
    RaceFace Sixc Bars
    Pacenti/Hope rim/hub combos
    Shimano Zee drive train and brakes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-imag1409.jpg  

this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel View Post
    Needs a few adjustments and I think a revamped set of wheels somewhere down the road...

Sweet build! How's the tire clearance with the 2.4 TK?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Sweet build! How's the tire clearance with the 2.4 TK?
    Gobs of clearance!

2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-20141210_223430-1%5B1%5D.jpg
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    Which would be a better fork for the balance? The x-fusion sweep or the fox 34 with Avalanche racing cartridge? Both would be run at 160mm.
    I have an X-Fusion Sweep RL2 and while it's a pretty good fork especially for the price, it's fairly simple without a lot of adjustments. If it works well for your weight and riding style out of the box I think you'd be pretty happy with it. However, I also have an AVY cartridged Lyric that is quite amazing. I think an AVY custom tuned Float 34 will be significantly better than the Sweep.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Attachment 934998Attachment 934999Attachment 935000
    Attachment 934997

2015 Balance - Large - Brushed with Green links
    Rear Shock:CCDB Air CS
    Fork: RockShox Pike RCT3 160mm -Black
    Headset: Chris King Inset 3 - LTD Sour Apple
    Handlebar: ENVE Carbon DH - 800mm for now
    Stem: Point One Racing Split-Second 50mm - LTD Nickel Plated
    Grips: Lizard Skins DSP Green
    Brakes: Shimano XT M785
    Rotors: Shimano XT RT-86 - 203mm front / 180mm rear
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX1
    Shifters: SRAM XX1 Trigger
    Chain: SRAM PC-XX1 Hollow pin
    Cassette: SRAM XG-1195 X01 10T-42T
    Chainguide: MRP AMG
    Cranks: Race Face SixC Cinch Carbon
    Chainring: Race Face 32T Narrow Wide Green
    Bottom Bracket: Race Face BSA30
    Pedals: Canfield Brothers Crampon Ultimate - Grey
    Rims: Light Bicycle Carbon Hookless 35mm AM 32H
    Hubs: e*thirteen TRS+ 15mm front and XD 142mmX12mm rear
    Spokes: Wheelsmith DB14 Black
    Nipples: Fire Eye alloy 14mm Green
    Tires: Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 x 27.5 Evo SUPER GRAVITY TrailStar
    Saddle: SDG Bel-Air 2.0 Ti - Black/Green
    Seatpost: KS LEV 125mmm 30.9mm
    Seatpost Clamp: Salsa Black 35mm lip-lock

I am very pleased with how my build turned out. I'm still waiting for the new XTR 9020 Trails brakes to be released. I am considering a 150mm Stealth dropper post. The MRP AMG guide doesn't fit with the oversized Race Face BSA30 BB and needed modification to fit. I am very happy with the suspension performance, the Climb Switch on the shock works really well. I am a fan of the rear wheel path and it helps the bike from getting hung up on in technical rocks both up and down. I am 5'11" 200 lbs and the Large frame fits me perfect, comfortable but can still throw it around. This bike is really fun to Whip. Can t wait for race season and the bike parks to open back up. VitalMTB bike check

Does anyone have any recomendations on a 150mm dropper post for this frame? I think I am between the the KS Lev Ti black, KS LEV Integra or a RS Reverb Stealth. It looks like to route the cable for stealth it would need to be zip tied to the other cables on top of the downtube, is that correct? I am wondering if it is even worth it to to go with stealth routing and if it even looks any cleaner.
    When you installed the RF bottom bracket for your sixc crank did you use any spacers? If so, what was your spacer configuration? In looking at Race Face's instructions the diagram shows not to use 2/3 spacers for 73mm. However, I'm not sure if the diagram wants you to assume not to use the third spacer also. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul View Post
    When you installed the RF bottom bracket for your sixc crank did you use any spacers? If so, what was your spacer configuration? In looking at Race Face's instructions the diagram shows not to use 2/3 spacers for 73mm. However, I'm not sure if the diagram wants you to assume not to use the third spacer also. Thanks in advance.
    one spacer is needed on the drive side

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm about to order a balance but having some second thoughts about the size..
    I'm 6'2 with 37 inseam, would the large be to short for me..
    Anyone around my measurements that can comment on the sizing..

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2 with 34 inseam , I am on the large.
    Large will be short for you depanding on your riding style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nibergs View Post
    I'm about to order a balance but having some second thoughts about the size..
    I'm 6'2 with 37 inseam, would the large be to short for me..
    Anyone around my measurements that can comment on the sizing..
    If you contact those fellas up there at Canfield Bros. they will steer you towards the frame that will most suit you and your riding style. I'm 6' and a large fits me very well.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wheel View Post
    If you contact those fellas up there at Canfield Bros. they will steer you towards the frame that will most suit you and your riding style. I'm 6' and a large fits me very well.
    +1 I'm 6' with 34" seam at 193lbs and a Large frame is perfect

mtbr member
    My steed
    Balance 2015 Medium
    didnt weight it yet, but i assume it is around 14.5 kilos as it stands [got another 500grams to drop on the front fork]
    canfield cranks
    canfield Ultimate MAG pedals
    industry9 on FLOW EX rims
    ONZA ibex 2.25 tires
    KS LEV 150mm seatpost
    answer carbon bars
    easton stem
    easton carbon friendly grips
    X0 shifter X9type 2 derailleur sram 1050 cassette
    fox van 36 rc2 fit 160mm
    i think thats about covers it up

for the pics
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-20141226_130509_1.jpg
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-20141226_132656_1.jpg
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-20141226_152913_1.jpg
    17' Canfield Jedi 27.5" - The fast just got faster!
    15' Canfield Balance - The go to guy of the bike world!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Brakes Questions for my new build - Right hand front and rear rotor sizing

Those of you who just built up Balance, I'm considering right hand front disc brakes. Will the cable routing allow this or be awkward with them ? Is this so unusual as to make it awkward if I were to ever sell ? It seems that the new XTR trail brakes are actually in stock with Right Front.

Bike spec says rear brake post mounts are setup for a 160mm rotor so I assume that means with Shimano rear calipers I need no adapter if I'm running a 160mm rotor. I'm 175lbs. Is there any reason I'd need more rotor than that in back ?

I plan on using the Bos Deville option up front. Should 180mm be enough ?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
    Those of you who just built up Balance, I'm considering right hand front disc brakes. Will the cable routing allow this or be awkward with them ? Is this so unusual as to make it awkward if I were to ever sell ? It seems that the new XTR trail brakes are actually in stock with Right Front.

Bike spec says rear brake post mounts are setup for a 160mm rotor so I assume that means with Shimano rear calipers I need no adapter if I'm running a 160mm rotor. I'm 175lbs. Is there any reason I'd need more rotor than that in back ?

I'm no expert but my buddy who is pro runs all his bikes right hand front brakes ro mimic his Motorcycles. He has no issues. I looked at my Balance and it should be fine IMHO.

As for brakes, I have XT brakes with 180 for the rear and 203 up front and it was over kill for everyday riding. I took them off and went for 160 rear and 180 up front. If I am going to do some massive downhill at some local ski resorts then I'm throwing on the 180 rear and 203 up front for more braking power.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The cable routing would easily allow for the rear brake to be mounted to the left hand side. The cables run up the downtube and can be directed out either side. As for the moto brake setup, for me I would not run them that way. I can see people who have strong MX backgrounds going towards that style; however, many do not. For me, when I am on a mtb, I know that it does not have a clutch so my muscle memory is set to left hand front brake, instead of clutch. Just like my muscle memory is right hand front brake when I do have a clutch. My suggestion is to run left hand front on a bike. Once it becomes muscle memory it really won't make a difference which side is which. If you do have a strong MX background and it just feels wrong after trying it, then switch the brakes. If you decide on the moto style setup, I would definitely switch the levers before selling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm wondering about shorter people on the Balance. Anyone have first or second person anecdotes about 5' - 5'3" people on the small frame and how it fits? How's the standover and reach?
    Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

You can run either standard or the "moto" brake set up. Trevor that helped us with our promo edit runs a moto set up. (If you look closely in the vid you'll see it).

The Balance uses a 160mm post mount, which means you will not need an adapter if you choose to run a 160mm rotor. As far as rotor size, it really depends on how you will be riding the Balance and the terrain you ride. If you are doing more XC, then a 180/160mm set up will be more than sufficient. If you are planning on the aggressive side of all mountain/DH, then a 200/180mm will be a better option.

mtbr member

Finally finished my Balance build! Love this bike. I had to kick my brother off it once he took it for a spin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    Finally finished my Balance build! Love this bike. I had to kick my brother off it once he took it for a spin.

Nice build, what is the weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Looking good.

mtbr member
    Weighed in at 32lbs

DH Junkie
    Feb 2007

I know I still need to cut the brake lines, it's just that I'd rather ride.

31.12 lbs/14.12 kg

Frame: Canfield Balance (small) Brushed/Green Links
    Fork: Pike 650b 160mm
    Shock: Cane Creek DB Air CS
    Bars: Easton Haven
    Stem: Truativ 40mm
    Brakes: Shimano XT 180/160
    Shifter: Shimano XT
    Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb
    Saddle: Selle
    Chain: Shimano 10 spd
    Crank:Sram X1
    Chainring: Spiderless 30T Wolftooth
    Pedals: Wellgo
    Cassette: Shimano XT 1x10 11-42 (wolf tooth 42t and 16t cog)
    Derailleur: Shimano XT
    Wheelset: Syntace W40 26" Hadley Hub rear/ Hope Evo front
    Tires: 2.4 Continental Mountain Kings

Upcoming minor mods: switch to a medium cage deraileur with a OneUp Rad cage, MRP bashguard, Hans Dampf in the front, cut front brake lines, new saddle.
    Hi,

How tall are you to be riding a small if you don't mind me asking? I'm 5' 7" debating between a small or medium frame. I will built it up as a 26er. I had the Jedi and that frame was a small, it felt a tad small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Not at all. I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseam. Not sure what my reach is. I love how it feels to me. Not too big or small. But I'm short.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm 5' 7" and ride medium frame with 35mm steam and wheels 26er, it is great for me.

mtbr member
    What settings are you guys using for your cane creek? I am using the recommended All Mountain but was curious on what others have been riding.

Also how many are running a 1x10 or 1x11?

mtbr member
    Using the AM settings with 1 click faster on the low speed rebound. When riding smoother trails i will reduce the SAG to 25% to keep a firmer ride. Also running 1x10 with the OneUP 42tooth w/ rad cage.... works fine for 98% of the riding I do

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm using the AM set-up aswell, but I adjusted it to my liking, backed it off a couple of clicks on the LSC and I'm at 3.5 turns on the HSC and a quarter turn faster on the HSR. Also running 1x10 w/the Oneup 42 tooth and Rad cage, works very well.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    a few more updated pics

14.650 kg as pictures
    very happy with it!!

2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-20150227_144701_1.jpg
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-20150227_144615_1.jpg
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-20150227_144502_1.jpg

soon to be updated are the front fork and brakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What settings are you guys using for your cane creek? I am using the recommended All Mountain but was curious on what others have been riding.

Also how many are running a 1x10 or 1x11?
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-bike-small.jpg

I'm running a 1x10 with a Hope 40t cog, but am debating getting either a 30t ring up front or a 42t rear, or maybe both . I still have winter legs so I am seeing how things go as my legs adapt to riding again.

I have been using the All Mountain settings which has worked great so far. Last week though I took the Balance down a more technical trail with some jumps and instead of popping off jumps the bike wanted to stay planted. I've since changed my shock settings to the Park settings. But due to snow I haven't been able to ride that downhill trail again. So I'm interested to see how the bike changes with those shock settings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-10155447_10153171463098035_5275170099971796414_n.jpg

orange doesnt really match. just testing out the fitment
    Last edited by tpliquid; 03-12-2015 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's the updated pic of my bikr, lighting wasn't the best with the sun setting, but love the Green from Oneup matching up perdectly. Love the 1x10.2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1426785914976.jpg

could someone plz measure the stack of a L or XL for me, thx? the reach on the xl is spot on for me, but i'm thinking i want to down size as i want to toss this bike around a lil more. the WB is almost an inch difference from l to xl. i ride a n9 xl and i'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam

mtbr member
    Some custom stickers for my Balance's Pike
    Loving the balance BTW

mtbr member
    That is sick

mtbr member
    got my 27.5" PIKE installed

bike weights in at 14.04 kg!

2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-img-20150417-wa0056.jpg
    2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-img-20150417-wa0058.jpg

mtbr member
    That is a good looking bike...

no one here rides a L or XL?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    no one here rides a L or XL?
    I ride a Large. BALANCE, called the Nomad Killer

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ride a L.

could one of you plz measure the stack? trying to figure out if i want a l or xl

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    could one of you plz measure the stack? trying to figure out if i want a l or xl
    Not sure what you mean by stack. Let me know and I'll get a measurement for you.

make sure bike is on level ground, place the edge of level at the top center of ht. then use a tape measure to measure center of bb to bottom of level and good to go. thank you! i wish all manufacturers would adopt this as a standard to measure bikes. with frames getting crazy top tubes and funky designs it's just a better method to measure for fit. i like it around 18" on the reach and 25" on the stack

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm getting right at 24". Have you checked the Canfield Bros. site for all of the specs on the Balance?

mtbr member
    Also, email them, they are super quick to respond! Awesome customer service

bent wheel, thanks! i think i'll go with the large due to the fact that the wheel base is 1" shorter. yeah the site states reach but not stack, which is weird because the 2 go together. yeah their CS is awesome except for the chrome problems they have with the '13 n9 that they keep sweeping under the rug. that's for another thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ride report: My Balance is confident inspiring. I rode a very steep drop-in the other day that I wouldn't ride on my old steed.
    Today we rode a really fast, long, rough DH and my rig just ate it up. When I didn't pick the most desirable line, it doesn't matter, I can just be a hack and plow stuff and not worry. This bike is so fun to ride, I love it. Thanks Cris, Lance, Sean and Vin, you guys produce a great product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Wheel View Post
    Ride report: My Balance is confident inspiring. I rode a very steep drop-in the other day that I wouldn't ride on my old steed.
    Today we rode a really fast, long, rough DH and my rig just ate it up. When I didn't pick the most desirable line, it doesn't matter, I can just be a hack and plow stuff and not worry. This bike is so fun to ride, I love it. Thanks Cris, Lance, Sean and Vin, you guys produce a great product.
    Ditto!
    I'm really loving how my Balance works.

BTW Bent Wheel, i had already increased HSC a bit (1/2 a turn) so the shock wouldn't blow through the stroke so easily, but on this last ride i tried your settings (posted above) and it improved my ride even further and make the Balance even more pedalable. Love it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    @ BTTR: Glad I was of some help. Enjoy.

PUJ
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Finally finished the build. Now it's time to get rowdy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Balance - Build and Show what you got!!!!!-facebook.jpg  

v0n
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anyone in LA area own a Small Balance? Would really like to see it in person.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast