2014 Nimble 9 Fork and Brake upgrade- Mtbr.com
    Captain Climber

2014 Nimble 9 Fork and Brake upgrade

I have a 2014 Nimble 9 that I am wanting to upgrade the fork and brakes and wanted to see what you all recommend.

I am currently running a Reba and it is not very forgiving. I ride in Florida where we have a lot of roots and I want something that will absorb them which the Reba doesn't do well.

I am also running some Deore brakes and when I remove the wheels it is very difficult to get the rotor to align properly without rubbing. There is not a lot of room between the pads and the rotor. I would like a nice set of brakes that will align very easily and be easy to maintain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Pike/XT's.

The alignment issue won't likely be related to the brakes you're running though. More likely a byproduct of having newer rotors and pads. As they wear the gap will widen and you'll have a bigger gap.

Or you could also try pulling the bleed cap on the lever and pressing the pistons back in the calipers.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    Pike/XT's.

The alignment issue won't likely be related to the brakes you're running though. More likely a byproduct of having newer rotors and pads. As they wear the gap will widen and you'll have a bigger gap.

Or you could also try pulling the bleed cap on the lever and pressing the pistons back in the calipers.
    Never thought of pulling the bleed cap.. I'll give that a try.

Would it be a good idea to run a Boost Pike and a 29+ tire front with a regular 29 on the back (for traction more than anything) or would that be stupid?

mtbr member
    If you are wanting a root eating fork I would go for the MRP Ribbon. I have RS on my past 3 bikes and they are generally stiff and unforgiving or lack mid stroke and smash through their travel

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    MRP Ribbon, DVO Diamond, and Formula Selva R are all great forks worth looking into. I've been pretty happy with my DVO Diamond. DVO's support is solid and servicing is on the easier side. How wide are you thinking for 29+? You may start having clearance issues once you get past 2.6s. For brakes, I personally quite like Magura's MT5/7s. However, pad clearance is pretty tight. Formula's Cura 4 brakes look to be another great alternative, though I can't say regarding their pad clearance.

n00b
    Go SLX brakes. I'm a hefty 220lbs and they work well

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    MRP Ribbon, DVO Diamond, and Formula Selva R are all great forks worth looking into. I've been pretty happy with my DVO Diamond. DVO's support is solid and servicing is on the easier side. How wide are you thinking for 29+? You may start having clearance issues once you get past 2.6s. For brakes, I personally quite like Magura's MT5/7s. However, pad clearance is pretty tight. Formula's Cura 4 brakes look to be another great alternative, though I can't say regarding their pad clearance.
    I was thinking a 3.0 tire as my wife's Stache has 3.0s and they are great. I run 2.4s right now and that is all this frame will allow in the back. Do you think that combo would work on this bike? If not I will keep them the same.

The Stache also has a Manitou 140mm (my Reba is 120) that really soaks up the roots. The Reba is brutal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    If you are wanting a root eating fork I would go for the MRP Ribbon. I have RS on my past 3 bikes and they are generally stiff and unforgiving or lack mid stroke and smash through their travel
    Vorsprung Luftkappe upgrade is a game changer on a Pike for a more supple mid stroke and relatively cheap if you DIY just a heads up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
    Vorsprung Luftkappe upgrade is a game changer on a Pike for a more supple mid stroke and relatively cheap if you DIY just a heads up
    Running the new debonair spring already in an older Yari. It's just no match for the Jade.