2014 nimble 9- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2014 nimble 9

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2014 nimble 9

Would you say the geometry if this bike is geared mostly for downhill? I live in Florida so we don't have much down hill here and I do enjoy fast bikes. That being said I recently saw a matte black nimble that has to be one of the most attractive bikes I've ever seen, now I'm trying to justify a purchase solely on looks. Crazy I know.

I don't have an opportunity to ride one so what I'm asking is if this bike for me? My other option is a sir 9

mtbr member
    I think it depends on what kind of riding you want to do. The N9 is more all mountain in it's construction and geometry whereas the SIR9 is going to be more XC oriented.

I think the N9 is more playful with its short chainstays and slack head angle. You could easily do more of a XC build with it using fast rolling tires and a shorter travel fork. However, the SIR9 is likely to be faster and lighter in weight so it just depends on how you want to ride.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jball1125 View Post
    Would you say the geometry if this bike is geared mostly for downhill? I live in Florida so we don't have much down hill here and I do enjoy fast bikes. That being said I recently saw a matte black nimble that has to be one of the most attractive bikes I've ever seen, now I'm trying to justify a purchase solely on looks. Crazy I know.

I don't have an opportunity to ride one so what I'm asking is if this bike for me? My other option is a sir 9
    First off... welcome to the Canfield Brothers forum....
    Is the N9 geared more to the DH side? The N9 is designed solely to have fun and rip while doing it. If a few dh runs happen to be in the mix... it will gladly give you a crap load of fun on the down. I live up by Chicago so no real big elevation for me as well... doesnt matter... the N9 is a super pedal friendly bike that has a geo that doesnt hurt you on the climbs. I have had many thru the years built as a geared bike and now set up SS with 27.5+ wheels... no matter how I build it up.. it is a blast to ride...

I have a buddy who lives somewhere near the Santos trails and absolutely loves his N9 down there...
    You need to look at how you want to ride... then go from there... as Chestont stated.. the Air9 will be lighter in build which would be beneficial if your a die hard racer... but the N9 itself is no slouch on the XC courses... you will just have more fun riding it like a kid everytime you get on it!!

Chilling out
    I recently moved from a MCR9 to a Nimble 9, my MCR9 frame had rusted out after 6 years of NE PA winters {shrug} and a friend had the N9 frame going unused, so here I am.

The MCR9 had a 100mm Reba XX fork, setup for not quite hard-core XC with 70mm stem, low rise 710mm hbars, 1x9 drivetrain. Nice light bike, great for buff XC trail, not so great in the rough NE PA trails.

The N9 has a 150mm Pike fork, setup AM-hardtail with 60mm stem, low rise 760mm hbars, 1x10 drivetrain, 35mm carbon rims. Party on the front and brutally trail following in the back. Heavier than the MCR9 but still surprisingly agile in the slow and twisties. I have the dropouts centered in the sliders, between that and the 150mm fork there's a lot of BB clearance which is really nice in NE PA.

I'd second what chestont stated, it is more about your intended use as to which is really a better choice.

I would add that there's nothing wrong with applying the N9 to more XC stylle use, it'll be a bit heavier but a much more solid ride. If you're a heavier rider (over 180# for example) I'd side more with the N9. If you ever want to throw it at more aggressive trail, I'd side more with the N9. If you strongly side more ot the XC style, never do drops or jumps of truly any nature, or your a lighter rider, I'd side more with the SIR9.

The wheels I have on my N9 are handed down from my previous FS bike, they are built with Light Bicycle 35mm carbon rims, DT Alpine III spokes, King hubs, and are truly solid but unforgiving wheels. The bit of Magic Carpet" in the MCR9 helped tame that but the N9 does no such thing. As a result my bike is very "party in the front, feel every pebble in the rear" style of ride; for all the plus and minus that represents.

Good luck making choices.

Captain Climber
    I have a chrome 2014 N9 here in Florida and I love it. It is very fast IMO on smooth flat sections and smokes my XC through harder stuff. I love that I can get my front wheel up much easier and get over obstacles better. It is way more fun to ride.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jball1125 View Post

Did you ever make a decision?

I had an MCR before I bought the N9. The MCR was def. more "XC", and a little uncomfortable on steep descents. The N9 is more fun and has a slightly rearward weight bias compared to the MCR/SIR, while having the same wheelbase, so it's better for descents, manualing, and drops.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.