mtbr member
    Jun 2011

'16 Balance Rear Fender?

With winter riding around the corner in the PNW I'm curious if anyone has creative ways to keep the linkage (and yourself) mud free. I'm playing with different pieces of plastic now but need some inspiration

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If you take a marshguard?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I posted this in the balance photo thread, but this actually on topic here.

I'm also in the PNW and I ride all winter. I got tired of cleaning my shorts and my bike 4 times a week last year so I went all out on the mud protection for this winter.

The rear fender is a mudhugger which works great and I custom made a flap to protect the linkage out of a flexible cutting board. It's bendy so it just moves out of the way under compression. I also have a piece of gutter foam inside the linkage to occupy the space and prevent crap from building up but it's probably redundant now with the mud guard.

mtbr member
    +1 on the mudhugger. I've used nearly every fender out there over nearly 20 PNW winters. The mudhugger is the best I have used.

I don't think your foam is redundant at all. The mudhugger will help, but the rear tire will still fling a lot of crap down towards your linkage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just meant the foam was redundant because of the custom linkage "flap" that I made. It does seem like mud just finds a way in no matter what so the foam still helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowing View Post
    If you take a marshguard?
    That is a ripoff price for the same generic piece of chinese plastic everyone can get on ebay or aliexpress. The sizing isn't effective for the rear. The mudhugger looks great though! https://www.themudhugger.us.com/shop/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    I posted this in the balance photo thread, but this actually on topic here.

I'm also in the PNW and I ride all winter. I got tired of cleaning my shorts and my bike 4 times a week last year so I went all out on the mud protection for this winter.

The rear fender is a mudhugger which works great and I custom made a flap to protect the linkage out of a flexible cutting board. It's bendy so it just moves out of the way under compression. I also have a piece of gutter foam inside the linkage to occupy the space and prevent crap from building up but it's probably redundant now with the mud guard.

beautiful! jminus - can you hook me up with closer photos of your custom at the linkage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jminus View Post
    I just meant the foam was redundant because of the custom linkage "flap" that I made. It does seem like mud just finds a way in no matter what so the foam still helps.
    Ok, that makes sense.

How many zip ties are you running on the mudhugger? I've found I need at least 4 on each side, and even then still break a fair number of zip ties over the course of the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    beautiful! jminus - can you hook me up with closer photos of your custom at the linkage?
    Here it is after today's ride. If you want, I can pull the guard off the bike so you can see the shape. I made it by shaping a piece of cardboard to fit by trial and error and then just transferred the pattern.

Today's ride was pretty sloppy (about as wet as it gets) but the linkage stayed pretty clean. Not the same story for my shorts, although they were much cleaner than had I not had a rear fender.

I might have to add an extension to the mudhugger. I honestly can really figure out how it ended up with mud on top of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Ok, that makes sense.

How many zip ties are you running on the mudhugger? I've found I need at least 4 on each side, and even then still break a fair number of zip ties over the course of the winter.
    I'm running three per side right now. The two towards the seat post are actually looped through the cable guides on each side of the seat stay to make sure the guard doesn't slip forwards or backwards.

The first test ride out, I broke two zip ties. I think the ones that came with it were garbage so I tossed them and put my own zip ties on (which I picked because they had a high strength rating). I haven't broken any since, but I've been light on the riding for the last few weeks due to an injury. I'll be stressing them more now that I'm feeling better.

Did you get the 29" or 27.5" fender? Per my post above, I feel like it needs to be a bit longer

mtbr member
    I got my set when the first came out 3ish years ago, so mine are the 26" version. They could surely be longer. They sell extension flaps, but I've had trouble with the rear one falling off. The little plastic pins that hold them in aren't strong enough. I even got my rivet gun out and put in a bunch of aluminum pop rivets to hold it on, but it still fell off.

I'd definitely get the 29" set if I get another set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its getting close to that time of year.

Looks like I should buy the "Long" version for my Balance with 2.5s?
    https://shop.cyclepathpdx.com/mudhugger-usa/

Also I never got a good shot of the custom cut out you made to protect the linkage. I just spent 3 hours replacing the bearings in my frame and boy do I want to avoid doing that for at least a year.