mtbr member
    Jul 2015

150-160mm fork on a Nimble9 or angle headset

Hi,wondering if anyone has used a 150-160mm fork on their nimble 9 or used a angle headset to slacken it a little more. Thanks

mtbr member
    Do both....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp3 View Post
    Hi,wondering if anyone has used a 150-160mm fork on their nimble 9 or used a angle headset to slacken it a little more. Thanks
    If your only goal is to slacken the head angle, then just get an angle set. They are fairly $$ and have been known to creak, but they do the job without messing with the rest of the bike's geometry.

The problem with putting a longer fork on to get a slacker head angle is that it slackens the seat tube angle as well which messes with handling and weight distribution, particularly on steep climbs where the front gets really light. This effect is magnified if you're a tall rider with long legs and a lot of seatpost showing.

Don't know which generation N9 you're on, but I'm pretty sure none of them were designed for more than 140mm fork, and I think the older models were designed around 120mm fork.

If you're on a N9 boost, which is designed around 140mm, going 150mm is probably not a big deal and going 160mm may not be terrible (warranty concerns, if there still is one, are separate discussion). I personally wouldn't stick a 160mm fork (or a 150 for that matter) on a bike designed for 120, but I have giraffe legs, a mile of post showing and have to deal with some pretty steep climbs.

If your goal is to get more travel up front, then all of the same drawbacks apply to over-forking a bike, but at least you'll be happier on the downhills.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    I ran a Fox 36 at 150mm for a little bit on a 2nd gen N9 frame before I got my Riot frame. It didn't feel like it was wandering significantly more than the 140mm Suntour Auron I demoed before on it. Took a little bit more body english on steep rocky climbs but overall still a really fun setup.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chilling out
    I also have a 150 fork (Pike) on my N9, which I believe is a 2Gen. I have a 50mm Renthal stem with a flat h-bar and it's great.

Plenty slack to be fully stupid IMO, no complaints with ride geometry, it's lighter on the front end than my other bike but that's to be expected considering the N9 has a shorter CS length even if the effective HTA are about the same.