Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports- Mtbr.com
    Your bike sucks

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports

The old Stylus Build thread's last post was from 2015 so I'm rebooting it here with hopes more of the recent builds and versions will land. I'll kick it off with my 2020 Stylus in Large and Black Fire.

Vision:

I'm no stranger to hardtails and envisioned this build last year when I was riding my Patrol and switched back to my Wozo... really missed the skinny tire agility of the Patrol but loved the hard tail feedback and reaction of the Wozo and figured it was time to get a proper AM hardtail with progressive long, low geometry.

Build:

Frame 2020 Stylus Large - BlackFire
    Fork: 160mm CaneCreek Helm
    Drivetrain: Shimano 11sp XT
    Cranks: Carbon Descendant 170mm / 168Qfactor
    Pedal: Spank Spike
    Stem: 35mm Spank Race
    Handlebar: Spank Vibro 800mm
    Dropper: 2020 Fox Transfer 175mm Performance IR
    Brakes: Shimano XT / 180
    Wheels: I built 32H Stans Barons laced 14/15 to black Hope hubs
    Tires: Maxxis DHF 2.6 3C 120TPI
    Saddle: WTB Silverado

Build Impressions:

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_0062.jpg

Frame came nicely prepped and assembly was easy - peasy. Paint is glossy. Be mindful of lacing the housing thru the rubber stop for the internal router before you put on ferrule or you won't be able to add it afterward (I'm doing without for now).

My 2.6 tires cleared but not unlimited space. My 168Qfactor cranks fit and I don't think there will be any rub. I left a lot of steerer tube of the Helm as I'm never sure if this is where its staying and the HT/stack of this bike is short.

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_0069.jpg

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_0070.jpg

Oh - frame doesn't come with a seat post clamp (or 180mm brake adapter) so have them ready; I'm waiting on a red wolftooth seat clamp.

Fox Transfer is DOA. I own several and this one is crap. Working on a warranty. Will be replacing lever w/ Paul's or my Wolftooth.

Almost forgot: weight with pedals: 31.5 lbs.

Ride / Fit Impressions:

I need a longer bike and try to get my sizing with a 35mm stem and the lowest stack I can achieve. I'm close on this build but a few things I'm working through: the lowest I can get the stem is with about 17mm of spacers - lower and my shifter pod will hit the top tube which is a no-no. So I'm experimenting there. Also - a normal person would look at my fit and think 'nice' and I'm real close - but my other bikes are more stretched out so I'd take another 1cm if I can get it. Basically, even with 487mm reach, the steep seat tube angle prevents me getting the saddle back further; if I was picking, I'd take 1 degree off the STA for a longer ETT. I have some ideas on working this out but right now my saddle is about as far back as the seatpost will allow. I knew this would be a potential compromise as I wanted the wheelbase shorter than Patrol for agility which is my focus here. If it matters - I'm 187cm tall w/ a longer torso.

I've ridden the bike a few times - but only one trail ride as its Feb and not much is rideable. Coming off the fat bike means my regular mtb skills are all wonky - everything feels so reactive so it's been a process to recalibrate. Seems to happen to me as I've gotten older and it takes me a few weeks to forget my old habits. Anyway - in a nutshell - the bike is rad. Very nimble. Solid feeling bike - it's not a compliant ride but when you get to business things get sorted. Love the feeling of the short stays - like the front center feel. I think it's going to suit me well as I figure it out and mint my fit/preferences. More to come.

I had the Helm pressure @ recommended but it was way too high. I dropped the pressure and running more negative pressure and it feels closer - almost no compression in low/high settings. It's an aggressive fork but it feels great when you challenge it; threw me off on the first ride tho - it was too much of a change vs. my 170 Lyrik coil or my Mastodon. I think I'll try it @ 170mm eventually.

So tl;dr - great bike. Stoked to be on it. If you are looking for a 27.5 aggressive hardtail, put it on your list to check out. I got my frame from LostCo who were solid to work with.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Again, Congrats! Looking awesome!

What chainline are you running and how's the clearance (chain to tire, chainring to frame)?
    Chainring size?

How about a 50mm stem to get a little more stretch?
    I was torn about stem length. I have settled on a 50mm for the moment but may change after riding it.

I still have a while until I put mine together but I did receive the frame yesterday. So stoked.

Your bike sucks
    Thanks man. You'll have to put up some pics of yours when you're ready - curious to see some of the other colors outside of the mfgr shots.

All excellent questions:

Prob just a 45mm stem would get my hands in the right spot but what is my preferred on the fit would be to slide the seat back 1cm more. I have an idea to make the Fox work but otherwise, I'd consider getting a new dropper w/ some setback as an eventual upgrade and fine tune. Stem is soooo much cheaper tho; I'm just finicky.

On the chainline: technically the cranks are "non-boost" but I swapped to a boost ring for this build. It's only a 30T. I was just thinking about this and decided to eyeball the chainline and tbh w/ the 419 stays and in the lowest cog (42T) - the chain angle is more than I'm used to seeing. I need to compare tho. It shifts fine, pedals fine but if you spend a lot of time in the lowest gear, I could see some premature wear. If you didn't look, you wouldn't notice by pedalling / shifting it tho. If you want a picture, I'd be happy to post one. Of course, standard is 6mm offset (vs. boost 3mm) so I may reinstall that original 32T ring next and compare results. I just assumed that 52mm was recommended but maybe 49 is where its at. Not a big deal for me.

Edit: I just saw the chainline dims you were looking for: Chain to Tire, Chainring to frame. I def don't rub chain on tire but I'll measure tomorrow on room. I think there was ample clearance for bigger rings and more inward (of course maybe that would rub tire). It looks like a lot of room there because they made it accept chain-guides. People w/ 12 sp and big low cog 50T+ might have a different experience.

Your bike sucks
    So I just swapped my boost CR for the non-boost 32T one. Respective of the biggest rear cog, I think the CL looks better. The 32T front is prob more appropriate here too - I get those 30T so I have easy swaps between my other full squish bikes. I'll report back after today's ride.

Edit: I think this set-up is better for me. Sticking with it. Also: plenty of chain to tire clearance. Really digging the bike - even more now. Pretty soon that Fox dropper replacement will arrive and I'll stop fussing.
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 02-14-2020 at 06:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Question for you. I finally started assembling mine and upon fitting the rear tire in the frame I found only 3mm of clearance (picture makes it look like 2mm, but it's 3mm) at the right chainstay yoke area. Plenty on the left. I checked the dish of the wheel. It is on point, if anything it may be 0.5 - 1mm left biased.
    This is a 2.6 Minion DHR2 on a i35 rim. I notice you have a DHF out back but should be about the same I think. What rim width are you using? It's hard to tell in your photos but how much clearance do you measure?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6582.jpg  

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6581.jpg  

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6580.jpg  

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6579.jpg  

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6578.jpg  

Your bike sucks
    We're similar here. My rim is a Stan's Baron with a 35ID. I just measured and I have about/at least 4mm space between 2.6 DHF knob and the same spot on the bike. I originally looked at this too - to me the compromise they made was the yoke to accommodate a chain guide and it lessened the potential clearance. When I first assembled, I thought "hmmm maybe I'll re-dish a bit" and then sort of dismissed it because so far I've not rubbed/buzzed or had a negative - or even a slight graze. Despite the non-typical maiden trail outing, I'm not in an area where you ride with mud.

Hopefully it's not off putting for you. Not much flex happening in the bike with the oversized tubes btw. I'm about to go out a ride right now and I can say I absolutely love riding this bike. It's right in my wheelhouse - probably more than any other bike I've owned.

PS - the blue looks sweet. Nice choice.

Your bike sucks
    Boredom bump. Jax you ever build yours and get to riding it? I'm still grooving on mine - 90% of the time, it's the bike I grab.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Oh man, I've been enjoying it more than I thought possible. I guess all of the research and agonizing over details has paid off because I can say that I have never felt this right on any bike, ever. I'm stoked you're finding yours the same.
    I have been meaning to get back on here and follow up but between work and trying to ride as much as possible, well you know.
    I have also built up a new wheelset for it which I'm going to try out for the first time tomorrow - so I'll get some photos and post as well. I wasn't planning on this but I wanted to have more options for different locations/trails/conditions.

In short, this thing is a hot rod. It feels so planted, handles so well, and jumps like a boss. It's super playful yet won't bite and is easy to control at the limit. No exaggeration, it really does do it all. I'm also finding it very well rounded and comfortable. I'd ride this on a bikepacking tour anytime.
    One thing that surprised me is how fast it is - or at least how fast I am on it. On the maiden voyage, an XC loop I frequent, I came very close to a PR despite having Minions mounted up. I can only conclude that my body mechanics agree more with this geometry and fit than my lighter aluminum HT. It makes me re-think my setup on that bike and what I thought I knew about myself.
    Another nice surprise is the long wheelbase isn't a bother in the tight twisty stuff. When I first sat on the bike I was thinking "Woa, that front wheel is really out there!", but riding it, it shrinks and feels extremely nimble.
    I can't get the big stupid grin off of my face anytime I'm riding now. It is exactly what I was looking for. Mad props to Chromag for one hell of a frame.
    I'll post some photos and build specs tomorrow hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    We're similar here. My rim is a Stan's Baron with a 35ID. I just measured and I have about/at least 4mm space between 2.6 DHF knob and the same spot on the bike. I originally looked at this too - to me the compromise they made was the yoke to accommodate a chain guide and it lessened the potential clearance. When I first assembled, I thought "hmmm maybe I'll re-dish a bit" and then sort of dismissed it because so far I've not rubbed/buzzed or had a negative - or even a slight graze. Despite the non-typical maiden trail outing, I'm not in an area where you ride with mud.

Hopefully it's not off putting for you. Not much flex happening in the bike with the oversized tubes btw. I'm about to go out a ride right now and I can say I absolutely love riding this bike. It's right in my wheelhouse - probably more than any other bike I've owned.

PS - the blue looks sweet. Nice choice.
    Thanks. I almost went with the black though and seeing real life photos of it makes me think I should have. I am enjoying the blue however. I always seem to be drawn to the flat finishes.

The tire clearance has largely proved to be a non-issue except for some chips in the paint where stones have gotten carried through. I got some touch up paint and it's all good. The frame is definitely stiff enough that it doesn't rub despite my best efforts in testing. I wish it had a little more clearance just for the "feel good" but it works and if I'm getting muddy I'd most likely have a 2.4 on it.

I'm glad you're loving yours and it seems that we pretty much feel the same - 90% of the time it's what I grab.

Your bike sucks
    Hey Jax. That's great to hear. Post up that build if you get the time.

I don't want to get too sentimental, like those other sticky valentines, but this bike is the closest I've come to where I'd say it feels an extension of me. Everything that Chromag made to go to 11, are the things that amplify my riding style, and the bits that were left on the cutting room floor were unnecessary or unimportant to me. I couldn't be happier with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    A few photos (with i30 Minion DHF 2.5, DHR2 2.4 wheelset)

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6726.jpgChromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6721.jpgChromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6717.jpgChromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6713.jpgChromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6729.jpgChromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6728.jpg

With 2.6 DHF/Rekon i35 wheelset.
    Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6626.jpgChromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_6612.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Build:

Frame 2020 Stylus Large - Mariner
    Fork: 160mm Fox Factory 36 Grip2
    Drivetrain: Shimano 11sp XT / Sunrace CSMX8 46t Cassette
    Cranks: Shimano XT 165mm
    Pedal: DMR Vault
    Headset Cane Creek Forty (w/ 15mm top cap)
    Stem: 50mm Nukeproof Horizion
    Handlebar: Deity Blacklabel (cut to 770mm)
    Grips: DMR Deathgrips
    Dropper: PNW Bachelor 170mm, Loam Lever
    Brakes: Shimano SLX M7120 / 203mm MT800
    Wheels: Raceface Arc Offset i30 32h, Sapim Race, DT 350 (36t ratchet)
    Tires: Maxxis DHF 2.5 3C Terra, DHR2 2.4 3C Terra
    Alt. Wheels: Raceface Arc Offset i35 32h, Sapim Race, I9 101
    Alt. Tires: Maxxis DHF 2.6 3C Terra, Rekon 2.6 3C Terra, or DHR2 2.6 Dual
    Saddle: SQ Lab 611

Still need to get a bash. Just debating on which one.

I don't want to get too sentimental, like those other sticky valentines, but this bike is the closest I've come to where I'd say it feels an extension of me. Everything that Chromag made to go to 11, are the things that amplify my riding style, and the bits that were left on the cutting room floor were unnecessary or unimportant to me. I couldn't be happier with it.
    Sums up my feelings completely.

Now we need to get some more in here. I know there has to be someone else out there who's built one up already.

Your bike sucks
    Tidy build, Jax. It looks sweet!

local trails rider
    Just my 10 year old "Strange" Stylus, for a bump.

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_20200515_202639.jpg

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Your bike sucks
    ^another rider with good taste.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Yes, beautiful. Like the simplicity and the gold is sharp.
    I can't believe there aren't more in here yet.
    I'm still floored by how good this bike is. I've proclaimed it at least a thousand times to everyone who asks and even those who don't, it's so much fun it's hard to ride anything else.
    Carl, any changes to your build or more photos? How are you getting on with it?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxMustang50 View Post
    Yes, beautiful. Like the simplicity and the gold is sharp.
    That rear wheel with the "gold" Hope hub came from a previous frame. Putting together this one, I figured a bit more of same or similar color wouldn't hurt. I also had a "gold" Shimano Saint BB there, but now there's something else minding the BB job, for the time being.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Your bike sucks
    Carl, any changes to your build or more photos? How are you getting on with it?
    I was just thinking how this build has worked out right off - I might be getting good at this or better at knowing myself. Mostly just doing some fork adjustments as the Helm even in it's most linear is more progressive than I prefer. Considering having CaneCreek do a swap to coil when I do a service...might experiment with a 170mm air setting first tho.

The only component upgrade coming replacing my Fox dropper lever. It's a lever so good that I gave my last free one away and then somehow I got another free one. The plan is to put the Wolftooth on this bike after I build up my Canfield Balance which is going to get a polished Paul's lever.

That's it! I love the bike and really that's all there is to say about it. It was interesting watching LostCo video recently where they were doing a kinda of talk between Rootdown and Stylus... the basic take away was they didn't think of the Stylus as a point n shoot plow bike but more of a nimble mtb-bmx/dj on trails... which I agree with.

mtbr member
    May 2020

New stylus

Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_20200528_065529.jpg

Here is my recently built up stylus. Really enjoying it so far. My first 27.5 bike. Getting back to biking more and couldn't ask for a better bike.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbguy715 View Post

Here is my recently built up stylus. Really enjoying it so far. My first 27.5 bike. Getting back to biking more and couldn't ask for a better bike.
    Looks about right.
    I'd seriously consider one like that if I ever feel like having a modernized version of my old model Stylus (posted above).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you wanted to run fatter tires, 27.5 x 2.8, would it make sense to get a Rootdown?

Also thinking itll allow 29 wheels 👍
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    If you wanted to run fatter tires, 27.5 x 2.8, would it make sense to get a Rootdown?

Also thinking itll allow 29 wheels 👍
    Chromag says the Stylus will fit up to 27.5x2.6 and 26 x 3.0. And the Rootdown is a 29er compatible with 27.5+.

Your bike sucks
    ^Yeah, not getting a 2.8 27.5 in the Stylus....Rootdown/Primer is what you'd want... Unless you want to brave into 29+ territory w/ the Arcturian.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^Yeah, not getting a 2.8 27.5 in the Stylus....Rootdown/Primer is what you'd want... Unless you want to brave into 29+ territory w/ the Arcturian.
    I would consider 29+, but that would be another monster truck that would probably fail to replace an FS bike while simply increasing quiver size, so intersting but nah. What I do miss is my Wozo with 27.5 x 4.5 tires, now that thing was made for rolling down mountains of baby heads.

So what I want is an aggressive hardtail for 27+, 2.6 is not quite wide enough, need room for 2.8-3", and wouldn't mind having 29" options.

My plan is run it with a Shout, that's where I get hesitant as I have not ridden a hardtail with a Trust fork. In theory it shouldn't matter, but I kinda wonder how it'll ride.

Your bike sucks
    Ben, yup. Given both of ours' appreciation of the Wozo, I'll encourage you to check out the Chromags... Rootdown for you. Nice 420mm stays. The M/L sizing might be right in your sweet spot too.

https://chromagbikes.com/products/frames-rootdown-20

Edit to add: Jenson sells this model and often their coupons will work + sometimes already discounted prior year models.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ben, yup. Given both of ours' appreciation of the Wozo, I'll encourage you to check out the Chromags... Rootdown for you. Nice 420mm stays. The M/L sizing might be right in your sweet spot too.

https://chromagbikes.com/products/frames-rootdown-20

Edit to add: Jenson sells this model and often their coupons will work + sometimes already discounted prior year models.
    I'm leaning that way unless I go way south and go 26", in which case a Stylus M/L would be sweet.

I have the wheels for 27.5, 27+, and 29 x 2.6, so it would be better to avoid buying a bike specific wheelset, though, I could do a single speed rigid 26+

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I'm joining the party! Both the forums and in real life.

I just ordered a Medium Chromag Stylus in Mariner from JensonUSA yesterday. As Carl Mega had mentioned, you should be able to use coupon codes for a discount. I was able to successfully use a coupon code and get the frame for 15% off.

I'm a little nervous going in to this because it will be the first bike that I build up from a frame. I'll definitely be working with a LBS to piece some of it together, but being the decision maker in every part that goes on the bike is still a big task!

I wasn't expecting to purchase a new bike until September, so this will probably be a pretty slow build for me. The details so far:

Fork: 160mm Cane Creek Helm 27.5" Boost. At $550 on sale this was too hard to pass up.
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 ZS
    Stem: E*13 Base 35 stem 40mm

I am currently eyeing the GX Eagle drivetrain build kit for simplicitys sake (and cost). I'm also one for flair and have been looking for ways to accent the mariner color. The gold Chromag FU40 and Scarab pedals are currently on my radar.

I am totally lost on wheels though. This will probably be one of the last items I go for. I don't want to spend a crazy amount, but I'm also dying for a nice rear hub with quick engagement.

Glad to be joining the group! It's been awesome to see what others have done with their Stylus and get some insight from more experienced parts gurus.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Welcome!.
    Congrats on the purchase - you won't regret it I'm sure.
    Gold or copper bits would look great I think.
    IMO it's a tough color to accent with anything other than black.

mtbguy715, Awesome! Nice build. Are those 2.6 Rekons?

Looks like soon to be 3 Mariners in here now. I want to see that green/pink option built up. The first time I saw it I wasn't sure about it, but the more I see it, I think it could look pretty sporty.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    JaxMustang5: yes, I'm running 2.6 Rekons front and back.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-img_20200618_070642.jpg

updated pic, got my PNW dropper installed. really enjoying this bike so far.

Your bike sucks
    ^pretty cool seeing more builds. Keep em' coming.

Despite owning the black gloss one, I think my favorite color is the crimson fire full red. TBH - pretty much all the schemes work in their own right - had a hard time selecting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Seems like this is the place to post this question:

Anybody ride or consider setting up a Stylus as a mullet bike?

I figure I could run a 130-140mm 29er fork and wheel and maintain close to the original geometry.

This would be my "XC" bike, so I don't really think I need a 160mm fork. It would sag a bit less, but only like 5mm, so the seat tube would be less steep. Seem like it might be the perfect combo of a trail bike and a something thats fun on dirt jumps. Or I could just get a Rootdown...

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Never thought about it but I don't see why that couldn't be fun for what you mention. As long as the geo is decent it should work, though given the tight back half it may feel a bit clunky up front with a 29 hanging way out there. Never know until you try.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Never thought about it but I don't see why that couldn't be fun for what you mention. As long as the geo is decent it should work, though given the tight back half it may feel a bit clunky up front with a 29 hanging way out there. Never know until you try.
    I agree, and I never thought about it. I would keep the axle to crown distance the same as it would be for a 27.5 160m travel fork.
    I would say that I enjoy my stylus on xc type trails with the z1 coil fork, so don't discount just setting it up 27.5 in the front. It is not going to be a xc race bike, but it is fast and a blast to ride on all types of trails.

mtbr member
    May 2017

Mullet on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Frkan View Post
    Seems like this is the place to post this question:

Anybody ride or consider setting up a Stylus as a mullet bike?

I figure I could run a 130-140mm 29er fork and wheel and maintain close to the original geometry.

This would be my "XC" bike, so I don't really think I need a 160mm fork. It would sag a bit less, but only like 5mm, so the seat tube would be less steep. Seem like it might be the perfect combo of a trail bike and a something thats fun on dirt jumps. Or I could just get a Rootdown...
    I ordered all the parts for my stylus mullet build.
    lacing dt swiss M 502 rims 27.5 rear 29 front to SLX micospline hubs
    150mm Marz Z1 coil 29 fork
    Xt drivetrain

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I decided to stick with a Stylus over the Rootdown, im more interested in having a short playful bike for jumping and trials ... which led me toward 26 wheels and a short travel fork.

Build so far:

Stylus, red, m/l
    Chromag cockpit
    TRP Spyke brakes (from the dust bin)
    Fixed post, QR binder
    Bomber Z2 fork, 130-140mm
    Canfield 160 or GX Eagle 165 cranks
    Box Four 8sp wide range, short cage

Anyone running 26 x 2.8 and a shorter fork like 130-140mm?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I decided to stick with a Stylus over the Rootdown, im more interested in having a short playful bike for jumping and trials ... which led me toward 26 wheels and a short travel fork.

Build so far:

Stylus, red, m/l
    Chromag cockpit
    TRP Spyke brakes (from the dust bin)
    Fixed post, QR binder
    Bomber Z2 fork, 130-140mm
    Canfield 160 or GX Eagle 165 cranks
    Box Four 8sp wide range, short cage

Sounds like 26+ rear 27.5 front would be a cool option too nurse

Your bike sucks
    Interesting, non-conventional choice. 140mm w/ 26X2.8 is what I had on my Instigator.... the proto-type bike that eventually led me to the Stylus though I'm firmly in the 27.5x2.6 camp. Should be fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I pulled the plug in the Stylus, geo was not gonna work out unless I ran a longer fork, esp with 26 wheels, bummer, I was looking forward to getting a Chromag.

Switched to a steel RSD Middlechild, similar geo to the Stylus, but based around a 140mm fork; shorter chainstays with a slider, so totally workable.

Ordered a Bomber Z2 fork, should be interesting to compare it to a Fox 34 Grip

Interesting, non-conventional choice. 140mm w/ 26X2.8 is what I had on my Instigator.... the proto-type bike that eventually led me to the Stylus though I'm firmly in the 27.5x2.6 camp. Should be fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Though I'm clearly partial at this point, the Middlechild was a strong contender during my due diligence phase.
    Should be a fun ride.
    Do you plan a build thread? I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Build and review for sure, Ill post it on the RSD Middlechild thread on the plus bike forum; the most active thread, can cross post to RSD forum.

Apparently the Chromag frame already shipped so Ill compare the two side by side before return.

Though I'm clearly partial at this point, the Middlechild was a strong contender during my due diligence phase.
    Should be a fun ride.
    Do you plan a build thread? I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Funny enough, I had actually put a deposit down for a RSD Middlechild. I pulled the plug when I found the Stylus (and waiting until September for a complete build sounded like a bummer).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've got a 2020 Stylus in the matte black-on-black paint scheme, beautiful frame. Has anyone else had issues with the stack height on this bike though? For a large frame, the stack is stupid low...I am 6'1 with relatively average proportions and a 30mm rise bar with a non-stupid number of spacers on the steerer still had me at ~2" drop from seat to bars. I ended up buying some 50mm rise Spank bars which leveled things out a bit more, but it still seems a little ridiculous.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    I am 6'1 with relatively average proportions and a 30mm rise bar
    Stack is low on this bike - which for me was a selling point. Love to be able to pressure that front wheel & it feels great. There's actually not too many bikes that are long travel and low stack - it's harder to do and selection is limited. There are a ton of AM hardtails out there with much taller stack heights should this one not work for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Chromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-2cda9094-e7fa-4dfe-9be0-b6f9415c901c.jpgChromag Stylus Builds, Reviews and Reports-7c05c736-0d6c-4a43-80e0-4e3f884dbca7.jpgjust built a medium 2020 stylus in blue.

fox performance 36
    stans flow on dt swiss
    sram gx cranks
    zee brakes
    thomson post
    older saint 9sp with xtr shifter

build was done mostly out of odds and ends. i need to put a wide range drivetrain on it. been eyeing the box stuff.

wondering about dropper posts. what length are people running and how close is the bottom of the post to the access hole on the seat tube? id like to go with a 180.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic reducer View Post

wondering about dropper posts. what length are people running and how close is the bottom of the post to the access hole on the seat tube? id like to go with a 180.
    I went with a PNW 170mm dropper on my M/L. There are some pictures not too far back in the thread, also blue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Same here PNW 170mm. Large frame however. Not close to the bottom at all. IIRC, it has about 4 inches.
    Nice to see another Mariner.