Yikes! Cyclist Plunges off Glendora Mtn. Road- Mtbr.com
    Team Fearless Descender

Yikes! Cyclist Plunges off Glendora Mtn. Road

San Gabriel Tribune
    Walnut man falls 300 feet off Glendora Mountain Road, uses cell phone to summon rescuers

J.D. Velasco and Brian Day, Staff Writers
    Posted: 02/07/2011 03:56:51 PM PST

A 22-year-old Walnut bicyclist fell about 300 feet down a steep embankment on Monday, but his cell phone survived the fall and he was able to call for help.
    The man, who police described as an experienced bicyclist, was riding about 10:15 a.m. near the 8.3-mile marker on Glendora Mountain Road when he fell down the canyon, said sheriff's Capt. Michael Parker.

"He got going to fast, he lost control and he went off the side of the mountain," Parker said. "In a miracle, his cell phone actually worked and he called in rescue."

The man was hoisted out of the steep terrain by a helicopter crew about 11:15 a.m. and was taken to a hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries, county fire Inspector Don Kunitomi said.

The man suffered "traumatic injuries" but was believed to be in stable condition, Parker said.

The road is one of the most dangerous in the area.

On Jan. 10, Kevin B. Unck, 44, of Rancho Cucamonga was riding his road bicycle south on Glendora Mountain Road just north of Sierra Madre Avenue when he struck a Toyota Land Cruiser that was traveling northbound.

Unck was unable to negotiate the curve in the road and his bicycle drifted into the northbound lanes where he struck the vehicle head-on, according to authorities.

- J.D. Velasco and Brian Day
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Sounds like a dangerous road. These kind of accidents are the primary reason I prefer to never ride alone.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sad to hear but also... Never trust a roadie to have any bike handling skills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb-
    Wow, that's simply genious.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    agreed..i got a broken leg from mine

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Glad the guys survived, sounds like a major fall. BUT I've seen these roadies flying down thinking their invincible on a bicycle and I'll just say their stupid sometimes. I ride crotch rockets and know the hazards of canyon riding. Always debris on roads and of course on a blind turn, loose dirt etc. and thats with grippy tires. Those roadie tires are made for speed and not grip so that guy should have know better. But we all have crashes but not down a cliff!!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Except the guy was on a mountainbike, Einstein.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Ive been on the Glendora single track trail. Nice descent. agout 13 miles of mostly nice single track. there are some sketchy sections with exposure. And yeah the guys realy fly on the descent here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    Ive been on the Glendora single track trail. Nice descent. agout 13 miles of mostly nice single track. there are some sketchy sections with exposure. And yeah the guys realy fly on the descent here.
    Umm....13 miles of mostly nice single track in Glendora? More info pleas.....I want to know what you know that that 99.9% of us don't.....

The only nice single-track I know is Monroe Truck Trail and its probably 6 miles round-trip......Everything else up there like is abandoned jeep-road and or double-track....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTGLxjl9fvE

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762
    Glad the guys survived, sounds like a major fall. BUT I've seen these roadies flying down thinking their invincible on a bicycle and I'll just say their stupid sometimes. I ride crotch rockets and know the hazards of canyon riding. Always debris on roads and of course on a blind turn, loose dirt etc. and thats with grippy tires. Those roadie tires are made for speed and not grip so that guy should have know better. But we all have crashes but not down a cliff!!
    On Palomar and Glendora roads I have out cornered guys on motorcycles on my road bike. They only catch me on the straights and it pisses them off.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What he said ^^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara
    Umm....13 miles of mostly nice single track in Glendora? More info pleas.....I want to know what you know that that 99.9% of us don't.....

The only nice single-track I know is Monroe Truck Trail and its probably 6 miles round-trip......Everything else up there like is abandoned jeep-road and or double-track....
    As far as I know. MTT is 7 miles up and 7 miles down. About 4.5 miles has reverted to ST the rest is still Maintained dirt road.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762
    Those roadie tires are made for speed and not grip so that guy should have know better.
    Where do people come up with these "facts"?

As best I can recall, most roads and the races on them involve turns taken at high speeds.

Agree with the other poster who mentioned dropping motorized vehicles through turns on mountain roads. Done that many times and they just don't get how that's possible and it does piss them off.

bicioso
    I've been up and down GMR and GGR my fair share on my roadie (i suck at climbing tho) but coming down, if you are the fearless type it's fairly easy to match crotch rockets on the twisties, I don't know about "dropping" them.
    One time i got caught between 3 of them, last dumbarse got pissed he was unable to pass me gave me one finger salute when he was finally able to do so haha.
    Road tires come also in hard, grippier compounds and everything in between.
    Have not been up there in few months but one of these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Except the guy was on a mountainbike, Einstein.
    I dont think your reading the same article, it said road bike...read it again.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MRRhoades
    I dont think your reading the same article, it said road bike...read it again.
    Reading comprehension 101. YOU read it again.......I'll wait. See what they did there?

I know someone who was at the scene and said when they brought the bike up it was a crappy old mountainbike.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Reading comprehension 101. YOU read it again.......I'll wait. See what they did there?

I know someone who was at the scene and said when they brought the bike up it was a crappy old mountainbike.
    Lol, oh ok I didnt realize you know somebody who knows someone else. Little ego driven buddy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara

my bad, It's been a while. its 5.9 miles down, I shuttled it at that time. but it is more than 6 miles round trip. Some really fine singel track!

Members who have read this thread: 0