mtbr member

What's your "Go To" bike repair shop in San Diego county?

Mine without a doubt is Anywhere Bike Repair (ABR). I have nothing but props for the team there. The turn around time, knowledge and repairs, accessibility and communication is top notch. I feel like I found a gem. So, what repair shop (the overall shop) would you recommend in San Diego county? Also, I wrote a short review on my site if you want to know a little more about them, with a few pics. Great dudes there, in my opinion!

mtbnomad-MTB Trail Videos for the southwest US

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I used to frequent Bicycle Warehouse when they still had a store in Vista, but that shop closed. If there is something i just cannot do myself I use Perfomance in Vista.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

IPA tester
    My garage and have never had to use a LBS. With some average knowledge, decent tools set, and the interwebs you should be able to repair just about anything..
    I find putting the bike on the stand and doing my own repairs relaxing, especially when hydrating properly.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    My garage and have never had to use a LBS. With some average knowledge, decent tools set, and the interwebs you should be able to repair just about anything..
    I find putting the bike on the stand and doing my own repairs relaxing, especially when hydrating properly.
    Awesome! Possibly that's been part of my issue...improper hydration. I seem to mess up about 75% of my own repairs! haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Black Mountain Bikes, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPivot429 View Post
    Mine without a doubt is Anywhere Bike Repair (ABR). I have nothing but props for the team there. The turn around time, knowledge and repairs, accessibility and communication is top notch. I feel like I found a gem. So, what repair shop (the overall shop) would you recommend in San Diego county? Also, I wrote a short review on my site if you want to know a little more about them, with a few pics. Great dudes there, in my opinion!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Cat View Post
    Black Mountain Bikes, hands down.
    I have been there quite a few times. I agree with you about their actual repair jobs, solid work, but the turn around time in my experiences were another story. And living on the coast, the location for me is a bit out the way these days. But yeah pretty decent shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPivot429 View Post

Never heard of these guys until two days ago when I was searching for "mobile bike mechanics" in San Diego. I live in North county so they definitely aren't convenient but I may pay the surcharge (having them pick up and deliver my bike) and give them a try. I used to go to Bike Bling because I had an "in" with one of the mechanics but he left and now I don't know anybody.

I've personally never been there but the guys at North of the Border bikes in Sorrento Valley absolutely have the best reputation in SD County...based on many threads on this topic over the years. That and some guy named Ron at Rose Canyon Cycles has a stellar rep for wheel building.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Doug and Mike at North of the Border are by far the best. Best customer service, repair/service work, and wheel building. Great guys that treat their customers right.

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by jhardeman View Post
    Doug and Mike at North of the Border are by far the best. Best customer service, repair/service work, and wheel building. Great guys that treat their customers right.
    This^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Another vote for North Of The Border.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    North Of The Border. I picked up my new bike and christened it on the Arch ride, first 50 miles without a hitch. Great guys who know their stuff.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Big Ring Bike Shop in La Mesa. Joe is a master mechanic. His knowledge and expertise is a riders best friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I do all my own work, but when I need parts Black Mountain has come through on many occasions, including plenty of hard to find oddball parts.

mtbr member
    Black Mountain Bikes. Chris, Matt and Ellie are the best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    North of the Border

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    North of the Border for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoronnie View Post
    Big Ring Bike Shop in La Mesa. Joe is a master mechanic. His knowledge and expertise is a riders best friend.
    Don't get me started on Big Ring. My last dealings with Joe involved a year of waiting and starting the ball rolling on taking him to court to get my deposit back. He likes taking money for bikes that he doesn't have or can't get....

I bought one bike from him that went perfectly and had no doubts about giving him my repeat business. After my last dealings with him, I will never do business with him again and advise anyone I can to do the same.

I am a very patient person, but he pushed me to my limits with his avoidance, crappy communication and very questionable business practices.

It took me over a year to get a $2000 deposit back.

mtbr member
    North of the Border does great work but I've found Anywhere Bicycle Repair to be as good and the service and communication is better. They've gone out of their way on a couple of occasions to track down parts for me and I've only had to pay for the labor (a Fox Float X shock, and a Hope rear hub mech).

Turnaround time can be very fast too depending on what you need done. I live in North County and I've dropped the bike off, had a recableing and tune up done while I ran errands in San Diego, then picked it up a couple of hours later on the way home. Try that at any other shop in the county...
    2013 Scott Genius 27.5
    2016 YT Capra 27.5
    2018 YT Capra 29

used to be uno-speedo....
    Pacific Coast Cycles in Oceanside, or Velo Hangar in Encinitas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post
    Don't get me started on Big Ring. My last dealings with Joe involved a year of waiting and starting the ball rolling on taking him to court to get my deposit back. He likes taking money for bikes that he doesn't have or can't get....

I bought one bike from him that went perfectly and had no doubts about giving him my repeat business. After my last dealings with him, I will never do business with him again and advise anyone I can to do the same.

I am a very patient person, but he pushed me to my limits with his avoidance, crappy communication and very questionable business practices.

Damn!...thanks for the heads up!

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post

I can't really speak on your situation, but I've been going to BRC for 10 years and have never had an issue. Everyone I ride with goes there as well. We all love that shop. There's a reason a lot of the local pros get their bikes serviced there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Short story, bought a Knolly from him. Easy transaction. Wanted a new Yeti 66c when they came out. Agreed on a price, put $2K down. Months go by (which I was fine with, I knew I had a pre-order in for a bike that was going to be coming in), but once friends started to get them from other shops and I started seeing more builds and bikes on the trails, I wondered where my bike was. It was always 'in the next shipment'. Then I told him I didn't even care about color, I'll take the first one in my size. More months of that, with Joe increasingly getting harder to get a hold of and not returning calls. At that point, I just ask for a refund of my deposit to go elsewhere.

Takes months of hassling him, getting avoided, e-mails and other BS until I finally start filling out forms for small claims court in SD (which would have been a huge PITA for me, as I live in OC). Magically, a check finally shows up before the deadline I gave him before I was going to file the paperwork at the court.

In my honest opinion he doesn't seem like that bad of a guy, but I have a feeling he was robbing Peter to pay Paul. Guessing he used my deposit money for other things and didn't have it to give back to me.

I would have easily ordered tons more stuff, bikes, parts, etc from him and was a happy customer after I had initially bought my Knolly, but he managed to ruin that. The communication on his end was unacceptable. It took over six months from me asking for my deposit back to actually getting the money back. I was actually relieved, since I never thought I would get it back.

I have spoken with another individual I managed to find that had the same experience, got a judgement against him in SD court and still wasn't able to collect the majority of his money....but that's just my experience...

mtbr member
    I do most of my own wrenching but hit BikeBling for wheel truing and general advise and parts. The mechanics are accessible, turn around is quite quick and most of the staff very friendly. Oh yeah it is very local also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoronnie View Post
    He's not very good with Leftys. I had to send my fork to Mendon Cyclesmith in NY, (who's awesome BTW) to repair the "mastery" that Joe performed. Joe assured me that was comfortable with Leftys. I gave him a shot because he was a lot closer to me than Zumwalts. Zumwalts did my first Lefty service and did a great job - should have stuck with Todd.

Joe's a nice enough guy, but either he doesn't know Lefty's, or he had the kids I've seen there wrench on my bike.

I try to do as much work as I can on my own. With a good stand, the Zinn MTB book, and youtube, there is not a lot you can't do.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

The Bikesmith in Pacific Beach

https://www.thebikesmithpb.com/

The Bikesmith in Pacific Beach is great.
    Good prices and nice guy too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    https://www.thebikesmithpb.com/

The Bikesmith Bike Repair in Pacific Beach is great.
    Good prices and the owner is very knowledgeable.

Grassroots shop, been there since the late 70's

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Black mountain bikes has always been good to me when I don't feel like doing something myself. They've also taken care of me on multiple occasions with warranty issues, even though I did not purchase my bike at their shop. I've also been in several times and just talked to the service guys and gained a lot of knowledge from them about bicycle repair and maintenance. Their sales department on the other hand has always left me not wanting to buy anything from them. I went in one day full on ready to make an impulse buy and get a 2018 Alluminum Bronson. The sales person told me they don't make Bronsons in Alluminum and then proceeded to attempt to sell a $8000 full carbon pivot to a guy who wanted to buy a $3000 entry level Alluminum bike. I walked out with such a sour taiste jn my mouth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have used bicycle warehouse, black mountain and alpine ride shop.

I avoid bike bling. I went there to look at Intense bikes, but the person (i believe owner) who helped me couldnt look away from his phone. It made meel feel unimportant to them. They have good stock, but would rather support elsewhere.

I purchased my bike thru BW and are a good group. Only downfall is turnaround time on repairs. Stock in the store i frequent isnt great, but employees are cool, and they often have 20% sales. Turnaround time for orders is a few days if in stock at another store.

Ive had black mountain cycles true wheels and when i need parts asap, they pull thru. (Brake pads, tools etc). They have good amount of stock.

I have recently dealt with ARS, and its a cool shop. I purchased my SC reserves thru them and have a good amount of stock.

Most of my riding buddies use chainline bikes in santee. Good mechanics, but not alot of stocked parts.

Most of my repairs, i do at home with youtube, but truing wheels are out of my comfort zone. If i need work done, i would not hesitate with ARS/BW/Black Mountain or Chainline.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I work on my own bikes but Black Mountain has saved my butt on many occasions with hard to find parts that they have in stock. Little tiny screws, odd ball adapters, custom spokes, and everything else you can think of. The kind of stuff that most shops don't have in stock and wouldn't want to waste the time to order. They have also come through for me big time on warranty coverage for defective parts and gear (Shimano brake pads, Specialized shoes). I'm a DIY kind of guy but Black Mountain is my go to shop when I need something fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Black Mountain gave me a box when I was selling my Bronson V2 to pick up my current Bronson V3. I felt bad because I wanted to (and almost did) order the V3 through them until I heard about how many others had their Santa Cruz orders pushed back for months on end. Ended up buying the only one locally in stock from another shop. Super nice people over at BM and they were truthful about special orders, so I'll try to do business with them sometime in the future.

mtbr member
    I do almost all my own work, but Ryan at Fluid Focus does very good work and I have heard great things about Velo Hangar. I won't mention the other shops that I have had issues with, but I am also super picky since I was a pro mechanic for several years. I have had to redo almost every repair job from other local shops after getting my bike back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I do almost all my own work, but Ryan at Fluid Focus does very good work and I have heard great things about Velo Hangar. I won't mention the other shops that I have had issues with, but I am also super picky since I was a pro mechanic for several years. I have had to redo almost every repair job from other local shops after getting my bike back.
    I'll second that for Fluid Focus. Recently had Ryan service my fork and rebuild my shock and I was very satisfied with the work. He was very honest with the price and what needed to be done. Actually saved me some money recommending I didn't rebuild my dropper. The turn around was sooner than he predicted even though I told him no rush, as I was recovering from injury and not able to ride.

Make America Bike Again
    I like Anytime Bicycle Repair a lot too but they are 25 min away from me.

Performance Bike is 10 min away for more minor stuff if needed. The cool thing about ABR is that they will get online about a part I'm looking at and tell me if it fits or is a good choice in about 10 seconds. A lot of times Performance Bike simply says "We need to see the bike first". Big difference.

BTW according to that Performance Bike shop, all Performance Bike shops in San Diego County will close soon except for the La Mesa one.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinodriver View Post
    North of the Border does great work but I've found Anywhere Bicycle Repair to be as good and the service and communication is better. They've gone out of their way on a couple of occasions to track down parts for me and I've only had to pay for the labor (a Fox Float X shock, and a Hope rear hub mech).

Turnaround time can be very fast too depending on what you need done. I live in North County and I've dropped the bike off, had a recableing and tune up done while I ran errands in San Diego, then picked it up a couple of hours later on the way home. Try that at any other shop in the county...
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    In terms of The Performance bike shops, Bonita is already closed, Oceanside and Kearny Mesa are certain closures, and Midway, La Mesa, and Sorrento Valley are currently preparing to be listed as closure stores. The entire chain is in chapter 11 bankruptcy and goes to auction for every store every item and the brand names on January 15th 2019.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Shhhhh.....let's keep FF our lil' secret.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil View Post
    In terms of The Performance bike shops, Bonita is already closed, Oceanside and Kearny Mesa are certain closures, and Midway, La Mesa, and Sorrento Valley are currently preparing to be listed as closure stores. The entire chain is in chapter 11 bankruptcy and goes to auction for every store every item and the brand names on January 15th 2019.

I just looked at some of the clearance discounts, maybe you guys can find a good deal on a full-suspension bike, but the discounts on the trail/XC-level hardtails are not very appetizing, drivetrains are 1x10 for $1000, doesn't seem worth it. They did have a 1x11 on sale for $1200 but the fork and brakes were mediocre. BTW some of the hardtails were originally selling for $5000 lol. Must have a really nice paint job or something.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.