Visiting San Diego (San Marcos) looking for trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Visiting San Diego (San Marcos) looking for trails

Hey guys, im going to be out visiting San Marcos for a few weeks and im shipping my bike out ahead of time to arrive when i do. I ride mostly single track XC here in NY and im hoping some of you locals can point me in the right direction of some of the better trails to hit while im out there. I will have a car to drive around so as long as its not too too far away i dont mind the drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm interested in hearing about some San Marcos trails, too. I work there and wouldn't mind being able to go for a ride right after I get out of work, already all dirty and sweaty.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Go to the following site and check under North County San Diego; Lake Calavera is real close to San Marcos lots of stuff there but you need to explore like he says(some of the bridges may be washed out), that's my lunch ride. La Costa is just a little further and has some pretty good stuff, gets constant grooming. Hodges is boring unless you throw in Bernardo Mtn to the top, may not be passable from rain though it was rough in spots a few months ago. Elfin is close also, but rain may have messed it up as well. Daley Ranch to the East. To the North in OC, San Clemente singletracks. There's really alot of stuff fairly close and Mtb Bill gives ecellent trail descriptions, directions, the whole deal.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Lake Calavera is right next to my house. I rode there recently and it was pretty muddy. I was hoping there's be something closer to where I work in downtown San Marcos.

Lake Calavera is fun, though. There's not a lot of "proper" singletrack but there's some fun rocky bits on the East side of the lake. It basically gets less and less manicured the farther East you go.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks so far guys, i did find that mountainbikebill site very helpful already.

I wont be there till mid Jan and my parents who i will be visiting said it has been raining a lot so i am hopeful that the rain will be overwith and dried up by the time i get out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    Lake Calavera is right next to my house. I rode there recently and it was pretty muddy. I was hoping there's be something closer to where I work in downtown San Marcos.

Lake Calavera is fun, though. There's not a lot of "proper" singletrack but there's some fun rocky bits on the East side of the lake. It basically gets less and less manicured the farther East you go.
    lake calavera was like soup yesterday. but la costa was perfect i hit up the switchbacks( for the first time) it was sick and wasnt to wet.

Members who have read this thread: 1