Visiting San Diego - Looking for a BLT (or similar) ride Sunday June 9th- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Visiting San Diego - Looking for a BLT (or similar) ride Sunday June 9th

Hey guys,

I'll be in town for business and am trying to get a ride in at Big Laguna on Sunday June 9th. As much as I'd like to get an early morning start and spend the day riding, I land at 9am and plan to pickup a rental bike so I'm limited to the afternoon. I imagine I'd be out there around noon or 1pm.

Any recommendations on bike shops that have rentals for the day? Also, any idea where I can track group rides to see what's happening that day? I know it's several weeks from now so I'm guessing this is a little early but figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Cal Coast for sure since you're going to be down that way....they rent/demo the Ibis fleet for sure and ??

If it's warm out, I'd have bug spray to keep the gnats away. They can be a PITA on the climbs...maybe you have some already or can get the wipes and bring them with you so you don't have to go searching for bug spray after arrival.

You can search the MTB groups on Meet Up dot coms calendar but they rarely ride so far out from civilization (crazy I know) and when they do, they will start early so they can finish and get on with their day. That being said, we ALWAYS see people just starting out from the Sunset TH when we finish about 11:30 am. It's more likely that a board member here will read your post and be able to ride with you.
    Carpe Diem!!

One ring to mash them all
    Ticks might be a problem too. There's a good thread in General on how to treat your clothing:

https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...s-1101279.html
    Freedom isnít a shield against the negative consequences of oneís foolishness.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    In terms of local trails, Penasquitos will have the most XC mileage comparable to Laguna Meadow. If you want something with a tad more elevation and chunk, Black Mountain right next door is a lot of fun.

If you do Penasquitos, you can ride up and down the canyon for miles and miles, and just pick how many times you wanna climb out and descend back down.

Some fun descents, from west to east:
    Return of the Crabs
    Little Waimea (but from all the way up at Ocean Air School)
    Rattlesnake Sting (black diamond)
    Cobbles (lots of hikers, be wary)
    Oh Sh!ts
    Eucalyptus (techy ruts)
    Tunnel 4 (This is the most unique trail in the area, definitely one to prioritize)

Best places to climb out, from west to east:
    Tight & Crabby
    Sidehill (one punchy section)
    Cobbles
    Powerline
    getting back from Tunnel 4: Deer Canyon to Del Vino Climb, or Deer Canyon to Switchbacks

mtbr member
    I haven't met or ever ridden with Steve McQueen and I'm sure he's a great guy. I do love most of his movies, especially the Magnificent Seven. However, nothing at PQ or Black Mountain compares to the fun you can have out at Big Laguna and especially Noble Canyon. If nothing else, the heavily treed/forested trails at Big Laguna make it different than anything else in San Diego for sure.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I haven't met or ever ridden with Steve McQueen and I'm sure he's a great guy. I do love most of his movies, especially the Magnificent Seven. However, nothing at PQ or Black Mountain compares to the fun you can have out at Big Laguna and especially Noble Canyon. If nothing else, the heavily treed/forested trails at Big Laguna make it different than anything else in San Diego for sure.
    Oh no doubt. I thought OP said he didnít have time to go out there, and wanted something close. Assumed he meant something with similar XC style as Laguna Meadow. If you can swing it, Laguna and Noble are absolutely beautiful!

One ring to mash them all
    You can do 20-ish miles up top at Laguna (incl. upper Noble) without a lot of overlap.

I don't consider a couple repeats going up Chico and down Los Gatos to be "overlap."
    Freedom isnít a shield against the negative consequences of oneís foolishness.

Real eyes realize real lies.