Visiting Disneyland Summer of 2013 - Where to ride ~near Anaheim?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Visiting Disneyland Summer of 2013 - July 20 - Chutes and Santiago Oaks

I live in Austin and will be heading to Anaheim this summer with the family for a week. I will be able to get away for 1 day to ride, so ideally I would like to get in at least 10 miles, preferably closer to 15-20. I assume I'll have to drive an hour minimum to any trail and I will need a rental bike. Suggestions on that would be appreciated.

I ride a Chumba XCL (don't go there, bike is GREAT, company BLOWS) and would like to ride some all mountain stuff, definitely more aggressive than XC, but I am no stranger to XC riding if that's all I can get. Austin has plenty of very technical riding, but no serious elevation. However, I'll be fit enough for anything in SoCal. I'll do plenty of riding the hills here. Don't bother warning me about the heat, I ride in 100+ temps for months out of the year.

Frankly, I'm not much into group rides, but would appreciate a tour guide if it makes the most of my limited time.

So looking on the map, the following areas stick out as potential areas - are there decent trails in these places?
    • Chino Hills
    • Santiago Peak
    • Limestone Canyon
    • Laguna Coast WP
    • Whiting Ranch WP
    • Crystal Cove SP
    • Aliso and Wood Park

Summary:
    • Mid to late Summer
    • Within 2 hour drive of Anaheim
    • Need a rental
    • 10 mile min, 15-20 preferred - tech SINGLETRACK - minimal fireroads

Any suggestions on good beaches for the family? My 13 yo will probably want to try surfing - suggestions? We'll do Lego, Disney, Universal, beach - any other "don't miss" things we should do?

MUCH APPRECIATED IN ADVANCE!
    Last edited by hunrugger; 07-11-2013 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im from austin too, but go to so cal to visit relatives around 6 times a year. Just started mtb, so dont know the best places, but the path bike shop has a huge set of rentals. Socaltrailriders is a good forum to check out for more detailed ride information.

Im going in jan planning to rent from the path and will ride santiago canyon since my inlaws live right next to it.

During the summer kitesurfing is awesome, I highly recommend lessons at belmont shore.

Kitesurfari always has a big tent out there and captain kirks does kite lessons too.

A plus is corpus is one of the best kiting areas in the country and lake travis while dangerous for kiting is actually pretty good.

If you like surfing, kitesurfing can make corpus crappy shorebreak surfable.

mtbr member
    If you've a fit guy and only have time to do one ride, then this is the ride you NEED to do: The San Juan Trail.

22 miles round trip as an out and back. Pretty much 100% singletrack. Of course, take lots of water, as it will be a tough one

Geoladders -- San Juan Trail (up and down)

It's about as epic a trail ride as you'll find within an hour from Disneyland. In fact, I would say its one of the best trails in Southern California. Lots of people shuttle this ride, but even as a downhill shuttle ride, you still have to climb about 700 technical feet.

If you think that might be a bit too challenging or ambitious, then I would suggest making a loop out of Whiting Ranch and the Santiago Truck Trail/Luge. It's only about a 1/2 drive from Disneyland. Here's a loop I did this morning: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | : Awesome morning at Luge/Whiting Ranch with P. Wilson and D.Miller. Avoided the rain! near Lake Forest | Times and Records | Strava

There's various trails/combinations you can make in Whiting Ranch. Oh, yeah, and Santiago Truck trail used to be a fire road, but it's been allowed to revert back to a single/double track climb for most of it's route. And the Luge is a lot of fun!

Limestone Canyon has some limitations on MTB access, so check in advance if you plan on doing Limestone.

I live in Brea, near Chino Hills State Park. Don't bother with Chino Hills as most of the climbing there is non-technical fire road type climbing. I go there often since I live so close, but I wouldn't take an out-of-towner there unless I wanted to punish them with endless fire road climbing. I would also say don't bother with Crystal Cove. It's mostly boring fire roads. There's one good downhill, but I would not blow my only day on the trails for this ride. In fact, it would be way, way down my list.

The Path Bike Shop is a good place to rent a bike in Orange County.

Home - The Path Bike Shop

If you need a short10 mile ride, a good one is Marshall Canyon.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Rainy Marshall Assault(COLD) near La Verne | Times and Records | Strava

It's not in Orange County, but it's only about 1/2 hour from Anaheim.

Aliso and Woods is also a lot of fun, with plenty of trails to keep you busy.

One more thing, there's plenty of places to trail ride at night here in So Cal. In fact, the Luge is a fun ride in the evening. Hit me up if you need more info on some of the trails out here.
    Last edited by AGarcia; 12-29-2012 at 05:44 PM.

CEB
    Who's riding today?
    San Juan Trail if you only have one ride...... this is it!

CEB
    Who's riding today?
    - any other "don't miss" things we should do?

If you like beer, this is a unique experience. They make some fine suds and grub. Close to Dizzyland too.

http://www.thebruery.com/

mtbr member
    Dates are set July 20-25. I'll coordinate with the family to get myself some riding time one of those days. Fitness wise I should be able to manage San Juan, just not sure I can negotiate 6 hours away - travel, ride, rental, etc. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll post up when I have a day/time slot set. Might wind up doing a night ride as well.

mtbr member
    Also, thinking Yeti SB66 is a good rental choice for this stuff and available at The Path.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    hunrugger, you may have already researched, but San Juan Trail out and back starts with a ~6.5 mile climb, so you can turn around at any point to suit your timeframe (the ~13mi out and back ~ 2hours riding). Adding the lolli-pop loop is ~17.5 mi and ~ 3 hours. The whole length of SJT is 11mi one way = 22mi total. You can check these routes on Goeladders.

If you're limited on time, Aliso/Woods and Laguna Coast Parks are closer and if you hit the right trails offer more steep/chunky/techy stuff, but lots of ups and downs and harder to navigate if you don't know the trails.
    - Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you're really time limited Santiago Oaks is really close to Anaheim. You can get anywhere between 2-20 miles with up to 3700ft elevation without repeating trails.

Mostly XC, but there are some chunky trails and drops you can play on. It's about 15 minutes from Disneyland. but more importantly if you're going to rent from The Path, you can be at the trailhead in about 5 minutes from their shop.

a downside to night riding is to find a place to do it. all the parks you listed in the first post close at sunset.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Sorry, dumb me didn't read your post thoroughly to catch the heat part.
    Last edited by Gordon Shumway; 03-07-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I would rent a bike from Path Live Oak and then ride from shop up Holy Jim to Trabuco. No wasted time in the car with that route.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

banned
    Sep 2012
    For surfing there is a guy in Newport Beach, Clint Carroll, who I have heard good things about. He is right next to the Newport pier. His dad, Corky Carroll, I think still has a surf school up in Huntington Beach.

Clint Carroll Surf School

mtbr member
    shuttle-run.com

mtbr member
    Really appreciate all the tips and info. Again, really looking forward to riding SoCal. I am booking a trip to the Bay Area for the end of May, so I'll get some NorCal and SoCal riding in this year.

I'll post again when things get closer...I need to nail down a day to ride, see if anyone is available for tour guiding. Phishin Paul - I like the idea of rental at the Path and riding up to Holy Jim - that place looks pretty scenic too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hunrugger. I ride aliso! (but not a pro). Like many has suggested San Juan is a tough one but its as good as it gets! I hope you have a nice trip (its extremely beautiful this time of the year!)

mtbr member
    The day is almost here - Arrival (and riding) on Saturday July 20th. I am going to rent at The Path in Tustin and do Chutes and Santiago Oaks - or as much as both of them as I can fit into ~3 hrs. I chose this because I don't want to disrupt the family vacation as little as possible and this is obviously very close to Disney and looks like a pretty straightforward ride up Newport (no idea how bike friendly this will be) to get to the trail.

Anyone interested in meeting up at The Path in Tustin or up a Irvine Park? I fly in at 8, need to sort out things, so I am NOON. Ride for 3-4 hours. I will be dropped off, so I guess I'll be riding up the trail head.

I am not looking for a hammerfest, I want to take in the views and enjoy the ride, plus coming off 3 weeks of sinus infection and bronchitis is kicking my ass on the trail lately. Looks like 80s in Anaheim though, so that beats the 104 I rode in last week.

Eric

Over it
    Jun 2010
    ^^ Good choice for a quick trip! One caveat: While many people have great experiences with the Path, my buddy rented a bike from them and the suspension was set completely wrong, so check it before you ride off. And they kept his pedals, so don't forget to take them off when you're done! Have fun.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    ^^ Good choice for a quick trip! One caveat: While many people have great experiences with the Path, my buddy rented a bike from them and the suspension was set completely wrong, so check it before you ride off. And they kept his pedals, so don't forget to take them off when you're done! Have fun.
    Should not be a problem, they are supplying pedals, but I'll probably bring my XTs in case they have crap pedals.

Where do local eat - burritos, fusion, fish tacos, burger dives, etc?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    Should not be a problem, they are supplying pedals, but I'll probably bring my XTs in case they have crap pedals.

Where do local eat - burritos, fusion, fish tacos, burger dives, etc?
    For an awesome greasy burger after Oaks hit up Troy's on Lincoln Ave in Orange. It is on the way back towards Anaheim from Oaks and is a local burger stand that has been around for decades.

http://m.yelp.com/biz/troys-drive-in-orange

mtbr member

Visiting Disneyland Summer of 2013 - Where to ride ~near Anaheim?

Thanks for the suggestions. Trails were good except for the insanely loose stuff in the lowest area. I was amazed at how much easier the climbing is here despite the very significant difference in elevation and duration of climbs. The lack of limestone ledges to contend with was a dream, even on the really steep stuff.

Troys was good - salsa verde in Texas is mild tomatillo sauce, but here it's just what the Dr ordered - hot!

The Path staff were all very cool.

Tustin Brewery has a good burger in the Diablo and the Old Town IPA was pretty good too.

Last night I ate with an old friend, Pollo Loco. I have to drive 4 hrs to eat PL in TX.

The weather was crazy cool.

Anyway, thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 0