Trail Vandalism at La Costa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail Vandalism at La Costa

PSA: There was some major unsanctioned trail work at La Costa this week ripping some big rocks out of lines at the top to smooth things out. If left alone it would have caused a lot of erosion. The area has been repaired and put back to its normal difficult character and some much needed narrowing at the top has been implemented. It will most likely take a few tries to clean the new section and hopefully everyone enjoys the challenge. I have been riding these trails for over 20 years and the changes implemented bring the trail back to the original line.

A few notes; first La Costa is intended for intermediate to advanced riders. If you or someone you see is struggling, that is not a bad thing. It is how we all learned and got better. If you see someone "cleaning" up lines, moving rocks off the trail, sanitizing, etc please say something, take pictures of the individuals, etc. CNLM is NOT happy about sanitization out there and they want to keep the raw character of the system. There is a crew working out there on a regular basis now that is closely aligned with CNLM. We are also working on printing up signs that will explain this system is meant to be more difficult than most.

Get out there and have fun and everyone's support is greatly appreciated.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    If only we could catch the hikers who keep creating cheater lines to avoid the switch backs.....

A big thanks to those who are out there working on the trails to fix them.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad it's fixed. Hopefully word gets out and the person responsible learns and stops. Out at Black Mountain several of the challenging lines (Lilac, Manzanita) have been sanitized with rocks removed to smooth the trail. Some people don't understand that it isn't supposed to be easy...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    PSA: There was some major unsanctioned trail work at La Costa this week ripping some big rocks out of lines at the top to smooth things out. If left alone it would have caused a lot of erosion. The area has been repaired and put back to its normal difficult character and some much needed narrowing at the top has been implemented. It will most likely take a few tries to clean the new section and hopefully everyone enjoys the challenge. I have been riding these trails for over 20 years and the changes implemented bring the trail back to the original line.

A few notes; first La Costa is intended for intermediate to advanced riders. If you or someone you see is struggling, that is not a bad thing. It is how we all learned and got better. If you see someone "cleaning" up lines, moving rocks off the trail, sanitizing, etc please say something, take pictures of the individuals, etc. CNLM is NOT happy about sanitization out there and they want to keep the raw character of the system. There is a crew working out there on a regular basis now that is closely aligned with CNLM. We are also working on printing up signs that will explain this system is meant to be more difficult than most.

Get out there and have fun and everyone's support is greatly appreciated.
    Sad to see, but thanks for putting the rocks back. Hopefully signage will help some, but not with all people. Some unfortunately don't want to be challenged. Maybe it would drive home the point to make the trail harder in 2 spots for every spot sanitized.

As mentioned similar thing was happening at Black Mtn. There was a plan to put the rocks back there too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    La Costa for intermediate+?

I wish my buddy told me that when he took me there for my first real MTB ride! Still made it up there twice. He said that was a great accomplishment, though I can't remember the hike/bike ratio and I bet it wasn't pretty.

I hope they stop with the sanitation.

I saw a real cool guy just walking in a straight line down the lower face of leaping lizard one time. I told him those trails were a privilege, not a right, and he was ruining it for everyone. He was unconcerned.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

No known cure
    It sucks that signage needs to be put up explaining common sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Vandalism at La Costa-beach-poster-ian-1_orig.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    La Costa for intermediate+?

I wish my buddy told me that when he took me there for my first real MTB ride
    Why do people do this? I saw someone asking about beginner trails for a first-time rider who was not fit and some guy suggested a route that happens to be 13 miles with 1500+ feet of climbing. Apparently understanding what is and isn't beginner level is difficult.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.