mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Are there any Just Outstanding variants that end in Kernville?

On Trailforks, it looks like there are a number of options at the end of Just Outstanding. Are there any (fun) ones that end in or very close to Kernville? I am staying at Kern Lodge this weekend, and while I really ant to do Cannell, it is probably not a good idea to attempt solo, so I was thinking JO and then one of the options. Dutch Flats looks fun, but a 12 mile ride back to Kern would suck. TIA.

mtbr member
    Not that I know of but maybe @evdog or @schillingsworth will chime in here with better knowledge. We did it as a shuttle and we parked our car at the post office (even the locals did this) in Wofford Heights. I personally would feel safer riding solo on Cannell than Dutch Flats as we never see another soul on Dutch Flats. At least CP has plenty of other riders.

Look into the Portuguese Pass options though too. I'm not familiar with the area but remember a recent post/blog/article recently about it. I do think it mentioned some HAB which is probably what made me think of @evdog.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Wagy ridge would be the ending closest to Kernville. Old State Rd drops down closer but I wouldn't count that, being a road. Wagy is a moto trail and can be steep and deeply rutted in places. These would still require a long pavement ride back to Kernville. If you are getting a shuttle up top, then you should be able to park a vehicle at the bottom close by.

The only way to ride from Greenhorn summit right into Kernville would be a big ride out to Portuguese Pass, roads to Tobias Trail, drop down to McNally's and then ride Whiskey Flat back into town. That is a completely different ride of course and would be a huge day. You can do Portuguese as a loop by riding fire roads out to Portuguese Pass and then riding back on singletrack. It can be ridden either way but flows a bit better headed back. Tobias is a long backcountry descent normally done as a (very long) shuttle. Not heavily ridden. Whiskey is a point to point along the west side of Kern River. Lower half is ridden a lot as an out and back from town, the upper part is rugged and sees little traffic.

JO and Cannell normally see lots of traffic which might make riding solo less of a concern. Wagy and the others mentioned would see much less traffic.

You can also ride JO as a loop by climbing up Wagy Flat Rd and then up Old State Rd to Alta Sierra. Up top there is another trail called Unal Trail which is kinda fun, a 3-mile or so loop that can be ridden either direction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Awesome, good info. I think I will stick to the original plan and do Cannell then.

SS Pusher Man
    Wasn't all that impressed with Just Outstanding. We did it the day after doing Cannell. Even with dropping Wagy Ridge it just didn't have the fun of Cannell.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

No known cure
    I love JO and hate Wagy Ridge. WR is probably the worst trail I've been on. Steep, loose, rutted DG. And full of rattlesnakes.

If I'm in town for some riding and want to fit in JO, I end up at the post office after my shuttle guy drops me off. I wish I was there now.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales