Supergo stops supporting local clubs!!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upset Supergo stops supporting local clubs!!!!!!

I received an email from SHARE Mountain Bike Club:

Dear SHARE members and affiliates, Supergo Bike Shop has decided to stop supporting local trail advocacy through discounts to club members.
    Club discounts will no longer be available at any Supergo store.
    Please remember to support bike shops that support local advocacy. After all we are the ones keeping the trails open for their customers to use.

Thanks
    Robin Lemonds, Pres.
    SHARE Mountain Bike Club
    ------

So I sent an email to [email protected] to let them know that I will take my business somewhere else.

Jul 2004
    Niice. Why am I not surprised?

mtbr member
    May 2005

No more Supergo

If you haven't heard Supergo stores are going to be no more in the next month. With the departure of Specialized as a vendor, the parent company Performance decided to close all Supergo stores and make them Performance shops.

That might shed some light on the situation

mtbr member

Lbs

Supergo has allways been my LBS but over the years it went from a giant proshop to a 2 wheeled pick and save to a 2 wheeled dollar store with performance at the helm. Sad how they have treated employees throught the process; asking more and paying less while providing poorer service to the customer. In OC try The Path; the club discounts apply and they actually have the parts and have regular shop rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    In OC try The Path; the club discounts apply and they actually have the parts and have regular shop rides.
    I bougth my bike at The Path in Tustin. They also do all the maintenance on my bike. I usualy go to Supergo for small stuff on sale.

The Path guys are also very active in the MTB community, they always help SHARE or the Warrior Society.

Jul 2005

no support

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Guy
    I received an email from SHARE Mountain Bike Club:

Dear SHARE members and affiliates, Supergo Bike Shop has decided to stop supporting local trail advocacy through discounts to club members.
    Club discounts will no longer be available at any Supergo store.
    Please remember to support bike shops that support local advocacy. After all we are the ones keeping the trails open for their customers to use.

Thanks
    Robin Lemonds, Pres.
    SHARE Mountain Bike Club
    ------

So I sent an email to [email protected] to let them know that I will take my business somewhere else.
    _________
    Good idea, I think I will email them also about this and also what I think about their customer service.
    Another great bike shop is SWITCHBACK CYCLERY in Orange on Chapman and Propect.
    The last time I went into the Perfomance shop in Fountain Valley the employees were either asleep at the wheel or on the needle. I don't think any of them no a thing about bikes.

The name's Norm...
    I have never let those shops touch my rides. I only go to those places for the great buys. All my special orders are done thru my LBS, too. And my prices with the s/o are just as good and I also know that the part WILL be right!! Thanks God for shops like the Path and Switchback!!!

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftrack
    _________
    Another great bike shop is SWITCHBACK CYCLERY in Orange on Chapman and Propect.
    I agree....this has been my LBS for the last 5-6 years. Great shop.

mtnbikej

34N 118W

Santa Monica Supergo

word on the trail is that when Performance came in, they canned anyone making over $8/hr. with the exception of the head of the Service dept. Combine that with the departing mfr's and you've got yourself a killer LBS!

Quote Originally Posted by swtballer
    If you haven't heard Supergo stores are going to be no more in the next month. With the departure of Specialized as a vendor, the parent company Performance decided to close all Supergo stores and make them Performance shops.

That might shed some light on the situation

Feb 2004
    Not true. A buddy of mine recently got a job at one of the SuperBlow stores starting at $10/hr.

Jul 2005
    I also sent an email to SuperGo protesting their decision to stop supporting Share. Although I am not a member, I have met Robin several times and I went to high school with his son - who I still ride with all of the time. Through that relationship I know the tremendous amount of time and energy SHARE members put into keeping the trails open for all of us. Without them and the Warrior Society quite a few of the trails would not be rideable (especially after the record rains we had last winter).

To me this decision is just par for the course of a long string of bad decisions by Performance (no Giant, no Specialized, stop supporting local clubs)... I've been riding bikes in Orange County since I was a kid and I have learned through the years watching the BMX Bike companies and Stores come and go that without some grassroots efforts and ties you will ultimately fail. I think this holds true whether you are a retailer or a manufacturer.

SuperGo/Performance seems to be on a path in which they will ultimately become one notch up from Wal-Mart.

Old school BMXer

Is SHARE still alive?

I wanted to forward this information to other potential SuperBlo victims, and give them yet another reason not to go there. I wanted to forward a link to SHARE's site with the info other than a simple post on a message board.

- I'm not on my home computer, and so I didn't have their link saved here. It's not on the mtbr link pages, and it wasn't in the original post.

- Upon finding the link to SHARE's site, there has only been one update in 2005 that I could find. Has SHARE been abandoned? The poker ride entry form is there (which I participated in), but the entry form does not say 2005 on it. And in the latest and greatest section the last post was on 2/8/05, and there have been no newsletters in 2005. Please tell me that SHARE isn't dead!

mtbr member

SHARE is Alive!

But our website is not. Our webmaster has moved on and we are in the process of reworking the entire site with some new interactive features and ride posts. In the mean time we are dead in the water. We are all volunteers so we really can't complain when someone decides to quit. Volunteers have a shelf life.

On the subject of Supergo, I just recieved an email from them saying that this has all been a big mistake and the discounts are still being offered. I suggested that they let their managers know this since it was the store manager at Fountain Valley who refused my discount, told me that no club discounts would be valid any longer then, stuck his nose up and brushed me off with a wave of his hand. That's what you get for promoting their store for years.

I am not in a position to support any one single shop because so many of them support SHARE, but I can say this, you won't see me in Supergo anytime soon.

Old school BMXer
    Chopper,
    Thank you for the update. I hoped the SHARE situation was as you described. Volunteers are hard to come by, and perhaps equally hard to keep.

Since I don't consider SuperBlo's pricing to be anything special (the low-priced junk Supergo house brand has no value to me) there is little reason to go there other than convenience. But most other shops will actually beat Supergo's pricing on about anything.

_
    Mar 2004
    Thats good news Chopper, I occassionaly hit SuperBlo for sales on tubes and other small stuff. I was wondering the same thing about the SHARE site, hopefully someone can step up and update it. I do design, but don't know HTML, so I can't be of any assistance.

By the way, what happened to that re-route on Fenceline at El Moro that you were so proud of? It was blocked off not even a week after you made it...

Jul 2004
    Interesting twist to this superblo story. I can help with a bit of web design if you need it. Can't committ way too much time though since I'm already kinda busy as is.
    Last edited by LBmtb; 09-21-2005 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LBmtb
    Interesting twist to this superblo story. I can help with a bit of web design if you need it. Can't committ way too much time though since I'm already kinda busy as is.
    Thanks for the offer. We just got a new volunteer webmaster and he is working on a new design right now. Hopefully it won't be too long until we introduce a whole new site.

Members who have read this thread: 0