Staying at South Carlsbad State Beach, best MTB trails nearby?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Staying at South Carlsbad State Beach, best MTB trails nearby?

Looking for fun close by singletrack for expierenced riders for 2 hour+- loop. I have never ridden in N.San Diego Country
    San Clemente singletracks- Looks fun but about 30 minutes up coast.
    Elfin- Looks small? but pretty close.

any recommendations.

mtbr member
    Rancho La Costa Preserve. It's in South Carlsbad and has multiple single track trails. But be ready to climb. In two hours you can go up the hill twice on two different trails. Multiple fun descents depending on your skill level. Expect to climb about 2000' if you do it twice.

From South Carlsbad state beach go east on La Costa Ave about 5mi. Take a left on Ranch Santa Fe Road. Take a right on Camino Junipero. Take the first left on Corte Romero and part your car at the 90 deg bend.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinodriver View Post
    Rancho La Costa Preserve. It's in South Carlsbad and has multiple single track trails. But be ready to climb. In two hours you can go up the hill twice on two different trails. Multiple fun descents depending on your skill level. Expect to climb about 2000' if you do it twice.

From South Carlsbad state beach go east on La Costa Ave about 5mi. Take a left on Ranch Santa Fe Road. Take a right on Camino Junipero. Take the first left on Corte Romero and part your car at the 90 deg bend.
    2000'? I want to ride the trails you're riding. It's only about 600 feet from the lowest to highest point.

mtbr member
    Ok, well I guess my house is maybe a bit below the trail head, but not that much. My strava has most of the different ways to the top at about 850'. Do it twice =1700' or about 2000'. Too much rounding?
    2013 Scott Genius 27.5
    2016 YT Capra 27.5
    2018 YT Capra 29

most memberable
    May 2011
    Ok, well I guess my house is maybe a bit below the trail head, but not that much. My strava has most of the different ways to the top at about 850'. Do it twice =1700' or about 2000'. Too much rounding?
    Believe me...the fish was "-------------------" big!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    The problem with CV for non locals are all of the trail braids. No clear directions on what is good and what isn't. Awesome riding out there though if you know where you are going.

For 2 hours you can do a few loops at La Costa and add in the Dump Climb/singletrack as well. Other option is to link it up to Double Peak, but you really need a guide for that. Did a loop with the second option today that was 17 miles/3K of climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I looked at your profile and saw you like AM riding and your favorite trail is SART. I've only ridden SART from Angelus Oaks out and back to a couple of miles past Glass Rd so I'll use that as reference.

SCST is fun. Some steep climbs but no rock gardens to speak of. Easier than SART

I'd ride either Elfin, La Costa or Calavera. All have more technically challenging and diverse riding than SART. Elfin and La Costa have more defined trails than Calavera. Post up here, or better yet on dirttreaders.com, if you want to try to find a local to ride Calavera (or any trail) with. Despite the small geographic footprint of these three areas one can easily kill a couple of hours riding any of them.

mtbr member

All of the options mentioned are good.

Is La Costa really 2K climbing if you go up and down twice? Just curious... I don't have an accurate GPS and have always wondered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^^Starting from Corte Romero and doing a single loop of Switchbacks and down VDM/Horned Lizard or Whiptail is 650-750 feet of elevation gain. So, 1300-1500 doing it twice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    All of the options mentioned are good.

Is La Costa really 2K climbing if you go up and down twice? Just curious... I don't have an accurate GPS and have always wondered.
    So I just checked my strata. I usually go up and down twice but I go different ways or sometimes add in the dump climb with assclown single track. My Strava averages a little over 1600'.

I guess my big fish story...isn't so big...
    2013 Scott Genius 27.5
    2016 YT Capra 27.5
    2018 YT Capra 29

mtbr member

Still more than what my lousy phone app was telling me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the responses, It looks like La Costa will do just fine as it is really close. I am going to try and hit San Clemente singletracks on the way down the coast, I will be solo then and the trails look pretty mellow.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdonner View Post
    SCST is fun. Some steep climbs but no rock gardens to speak of. Easier than SART
    A couple years ago I rode over a beehive that was in an animal burrow on one of those steep climbs. Talk about picking up the cadence!