Sharing the trails with horses- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Sharing the trails with horses

Let me begin by saying I am a very courteous all mountain rider and always smile, say hi, thank you, and yield to non-bikers sharing the trail. I'm especially cautious with horses since I know some spook easily. I always ask the owner if it's okay to pass before proceding.

That said, we have a number of very opinionated horse advocates out my way that don't feel the same about sharing space, and are very vocal about it. I had one upset at me the other day because I had taken a single track trail instead of a fire road. Apparently they feel that single track is ruining the area and everyone should be using the same fire roads to avoid trail closures. I know the area well and there is no official government signage indicating that single track is forbidden.

Just curious to hear the experience of others, and how you respond when subjected to a similar situation. Are we right to defend ourselves or is it better to just move along and not escalate the situation?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    if youre in the right and the other person is being a jerk its ALWAYS right to stick up for yourself. you should never have to hold your tongue for fear of upsetting someone. thats why there is a 1st amendment. you have the right to express yourself whether someone else likes it or not ESPECIALLY if you are in the right. just because their horse cant fit on the trail doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to use it. its not your fault they bought a horse instead of a mtb.

mtbr member
    One tried to swat at me with a riding crop once (the rider, not the horse).

most memberable
    May 2011
    Never had any real problems with riders and their horses...now, horses-asses...a few times!

**There are horses-asses on horses, on MTBs, or on foot..

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by rageandlove View Post
    if youre in the right and the other person is being a jerk its ALWAYS right to stick up for yourself. you should never have to hold your tongue for fear of upsetting someone. thats why there is a 1st amendment. you have the right to express yourself whether someone else likes it or not ESPECIALLY if you are in the right. just because their horse cant fit on the trail doesnt mean you shouldnt be able to use it. its not your fault they bought a horse instead of a mtb.

True but you might wind up creating a bigger problem by verbally assaulting others for their thoughts. I am not against interaction but calm rational explanations will go further than a "F you". Be mature about the situation. We are still at the bottom of the food chain and an equestrian or hiker's complain will have more merit than a mountain biker's. Bit by bit, little by little we have made lots of in-roads with authorities. While we are no where near where we want to be with trail access and respect from the city and respective agencies, we are seeing the tides shift in our favor.

If you are in the right and know it, please do say so. Just do it maturely. Let them look like the immature uneducated fools.
    The world does not revolve around you but your actions impact us all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i definitely agree with that. you dont have to call them names or anything. im just saying stand your ground and dont just ride away with your tail between your legs for the sake of not causing problems. cuz if people never speak up then things will never change. and i think a lot of why bikers in general are getting more pull and respect is that its becoming a lot more popular again. i know a lot of my friends just started biking in the last few years (all road bikers) and i see a lot more people on bikes now than i used to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Props to you for being courteous.

If it's an illegal trail, the horseman has a valid point. Just because there's no sign stating a trail is illegal doesn't mean it's not illegal.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Props to you for being courteous.

If it's an illegal trail, the horseman has a valid point. Just because there's no sign stating a trail is illegal doesn't mean it's not illegal.
    Two counter points to your post.

1. The original post said nothing about the legality of the trail. He merely stated that the equestrian rider was disturbed at the rider for using a trail that the equestrian was not.

2. Lack of signs are an issue with California Trespassing Laws. I am not advocating knowledgeable trespass but if the area is not properly signed, under California Law, trespassing becomes much more difficult to prove and enforce. I know of multiple cases where the lack of signage allowed for dismissal of cases. California Criminal Trespass & Trespassing Laws | Penal Code 602 PC

Politeness is what counts these days. There are too many folks out there that would sooner give the bird and ride away rather than taking 30 seconds to explain trail usage to the folks who lack that knowledge. We have been depicted as the rogue, vicious, rude rebels that would sooner run over your grandma, laugh and continue on. We need to change the image. It is the old "honey over vinegar" adage. Let them be the fools.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I love how everyone complains if a biker leaves a tiny rut on the trail, but equestrians can leave a metric ****-ton on horse crap all over the place and no one cares. It's a pet peeve, I mean I pick up after my dog, why is horse crap on a public trail any different.

If I see horse trailers at a trailhead I usually just go find another trail, if it's convenient.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree with everything bankerboy said, well
    said.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Gotcha, bb.

OP:

"I had one upset at me the other day because I had taken a single track trail instead of a fire road. Apparently they feel that single track is ruining the area and everyone should be using the same fire roads to avoid trail closures."

I took this to mean the closures would be due to riding an illegal trail. I couldn't discern whether or not the trail is illegal by the OP.

Not talking private property, there are many trails in areas I ride that are illegal and have no signage indicating that. County- and city-managed areas. The county states that any trails without signage are illegal and off limits.

Cheers,

m

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ElCapitan66 View Post
    Let me begin by saying I am a very courteous all mountain rider and always smile, say hi, thank you, and yield to non-bikers sharing the trail. I'm especially cautious with horses since I know some spook easily. I always ask the owner if it's okay to pass before proceding.

That said, we have a number of very opinionated horse advocates out my way that don't feel the same about sharing space, and are very vocal about it. I had one upset at me the other day because I had taken a single track trail instead of a fire road. Apparently they feel that single track is ruining the area and everyone should be using the same fire roads to avoid trail closures. I know the area well and there is no official government signage indicating that single track is forbidden.

Just curious to hear the experience of others, and how you respond when subjected to a similar situation. Are we right to defend ourselves or is it better to just move along and not escalate the situation?
    I've been on both sides horse rider and bike rider. Attitudes need to be improved on both sides. Alliances can be formed if both take an interest....together....in the trails maintenance and design. CCCMB on the Calif Central has done this. It works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I might try to quickly justify my existence (assuming you are right to be there) but I have wasted a lot of time and effort in the past trying to get ignorant people to understand reason and logic to no avail. If they are going to be negatively vocal about you being there, then there is little chance of them truly hearing anything you have to say. Now I am more likely to kill them with kindness and give them the "enjoy your ride!" with a giant smile and move on so I can actually get back to enjoying mine.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Most equestrians I have encountered are real arrogant jerks. I always either slow down or completely stop for them. (depending on the width of the trail) Most of the time they look at me with such arrogance and hate and hardly ever say thank you for stopping. It's as if they feel everyone should stop and kiss their asses while they sit high on their steeds. A few I have encountered were pretty cool though.

I'm starting to get sick of it really. If one ever says the wrong thing to me, it's on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Most equestrians I have encountered are real arrogant jerks. I always either slow down or completely stop for them. (depending on the width of the trail) Most of the time they look at me with such arrogance and hate and hardly ever say thank you for stopping. It's as if they feel everyone should stop and watch them pass by while they sit high on their steeds. A few I have encountered were pretty cool though.

I'm starting to get sick of it really. If one ever says the wrong thing to me, it's on!
    Where do you ride?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John Barrett View Post
    Where do you ride?
    Many different places.

The place where I encounter the most a-hole equestrians is Bonelli Park though, which I ride time after time for fun. It's because they have a horse breeding ranch right outside the park.

And I'm never disrespectful or rude to any equestrians on the trail. They just seem to have a passionate loathing for all mountain bikers. It's like we're their arch enemies on the trail.

Ridin' Furry
    Next time they are rude tell them "Nice camel".

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been running into a lot of horsey folk lately in the Santa Monica Mtns. Most of them are pretty nice.
    They get really stoked if you completely stop and get off you bike for them while they go by. Our bikes really do freak some horses out. Not sure why you'd want to go for a ride on an unpredictable beast you have iffy control over at best but hey, I don't judge.. most people think mtn bikers are IDIOTS to the crazy $hit we do.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Almost got kicked in head by rogue horse ridden by inept 8 year old at D. Ranch. I did everything in my power to remain calm/polite...but..wow!

Also went heads-up with 4 riders on horseback rider abreast with NO room to ride down fire road trail. I was only traveling around 10mph thank goodness. Blind corner at PQ. I ended up over the cliff and yelled at...fun fun..

I am tired of the damage the hooves do and I am tired of dodging horse crap. I am tired of their superiority complexes.

Occasionally, they are friendly.

BUT...we all need to share the trails, so I just smile and ride on by hoping to build some sorta positive rapport with them...

banned
    Nov 2011
    I don't really care about the hoof damage they cause on the trails but it is really the big loads of horse crap that tick me off. I don't like seeing it, I don't like smelling it, and I don't like having to ride around it. There should be a law that forces them to have some sort of poop scooper mounted to their behinds whenever they ride on public trails.

Another thing that pisses me off is when they have little children on a horse for themselves.

I once saw this lady that had her daughter that was probably 5 to 6 years old on a horse for her own! And it wasn't just a pony, it was a full size stallion! The trail was narrow and they were riding slow and as I was coming up behind them I yelled "RIDER BEHIND!" The lady told me that they were pulling over to the right and was instructing me to pass through the left. She had good control over her horse but as you would imagine her little daughter knew nothing about how to control the horse and as she tried to get the horse to move to the right the horse simply didn't want to and just stayed there in the middle of the trail.

I waited patiently as the mother was instructing her daughter on how to get the horse to move to the right. In the end she couldn't and I just said f*** it and rode through right next to the horse. The mother didn't say anything but gave me one of the nastiest looks ever.

Now that I look back, it was very stupid of me to ride through like that because the horse could have been spooked and kicked me as I was riding behind it. On top of that he could have thrown the little girl off. However that would not be my problem, it's irresponsible parents like that, that would be to blame. Bottomline you don't let a little child take control of a large animal that could be unpredictable. It's almost like letting a little child drive a car.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm not sure that you'll ever see complete harmony on technical single track. MTBs are seen by horsemen as being too impatient and believe me it's nerve wracking trying to expect most horses, even with experienced riders to feel comfortable at such close quarters. Double track and fires roads are best suited for our co-existence....in my opinion.

Get on a horse some time and ride single track with MTBs. It may give you some good insight on how insecure horse and rider feels in some of these situations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I should have named this thread "sharing the trails with horse owners"

Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Gotcha, bb.

OP:

"I had one upset at me the other day because I had taken a single track trail instead of a fire road. Apparently they feel that single track is ruining the area and everyone should be using the same fire roads to avoid trail closures."

I took this to mean the closures would be due to riding an illegal trail. I couldn't discern whether or not the trail is illegal by the OP.

Not talking private property, there are many trails in areas I ride that are illegal and have no signage indicating that. County- and city-managed areas. The county states that any trails without signage are illegal and off limits.

Cheers,

m
    So, good question on the legality of the trail itself (the single track, that is). I went back after seeing a few posts to scout the area looking for signage. Here's what I can share:
    1)There are trail markers (wooden posts indicating a designated trail) for the seemingly fire roads .
    2)This trail/area sits on BLM or County land (County of San Diego)
    3)There is absolutely no official County signage in the area indicating what is or is not legal
    4)The equestrian stables are located at the base of the hillside in question
    5)I noticed that some fresh "Not a through trail" signage had gone up since my OP. Again, no county signage, sign looked like something that could have been bought at Home Depot.
    6)Someone (assuming the equestrian folk) placed large bolders in the center of the single track to clearly discourage usage.

Admittedly, I am not familiar with the legalities of riding/creating singletrack on BLM (County) land. I guess if I knew it would make my decision much easier in terms of how I would proceed the next time I encounter a similar situation. I look forward to hearing others weigh in (especially on the legality question) so I could put this to rest in my mind.

Cheers!

Big Hittin'
    From my experience, the horse riders/owners are usually a bit tempermental. They seem to think the single track is theres. My only interaction when I was in the wrong was one time I actually was on a “Horses Only” trail. I apologized and was on my way.

Even when it’s a public trail I always give way and am respectful (to the horse, not necessarily the rider/owner). I can deal politely with a angry person but Id rather not piss off a 1,000 pound animal :-)

One thing I don’t understand it how come its illegal to not pickup dog poo but its perfectly fine to leave 20 pounds of horse poo on the trail?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    From my experience, the horse riders/owners are usually a bit tempermental. They seem to think the single track is theres. My only interaction when I was in the wrong was one time I actually was on a “Horses Only” trail. I apologized and was on my way.

Even when it’s a public trail I always give way and am respectful (to the horse, not necessarily the rider/owner). I can deal politely with a angry person but Id rather not piss off a 1,000 pound animal :-)

One thing I don’t understand it how come its illegal to not pickup dog poo but its perfectly fine to leave 20 pounds of horse poo on the trail?
    The stock answer to he poop question: one is from a herbivores other from a carnivore. Apparently we can't get sick from the vegetarian's poop.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I believe there should be horse specific trails only. Horses and mountain bikes do not belong on the same trails.

I don't like having to slow down on every blind corner assuming there is a horse in the way, I don't like having to stop for horses, I don't like having to ride around enormous piles of crap, and I don't like the crappy attitude most equestrians have towards mountain bikers.

And, I know they don't like having to be scared of mountain bikes zooming right past them and spooking their horses.

We should just have horse specific trails only. Hikers should be allowed on both though. I have no problem with hikers. They are easy to get around by and don't clog up the trails.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I believe there should be horse specific trails only. Horses and mountain bikes do not belong on the same trails.
    I agree 100% with this.

As a teenager my family owned horses, and I rode horses before I rode MTB and can say from experience the Horse are giant dumb animals and even a well trained horse can decide it does not wan't to do what the rider is telling it to do.

I don't think there should be multi-use trails that allow horses anywhere near hikers/runners/MTBer's, it is just too dangerous for everyone.

As to arguing a point with an equestrian owner... I guess that depends on how reasonable the person is willing to be. I dislike riding in PQ because of the number or horses, but surprisingly I have never ran into a rude one.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I started riding MTBs at MDO in 1984. I first rode horses there. My wife and I rode from our house, she on one of our horses and me on my Schwinn ATB. Most horse people we knew thought bikes on trails were cool at first.....not as common then. They trusted me and my judgement so we got along well.

In the intervening years the park has gotten immensely popular and the sport hugely popular with college students. CCCMB has done an amazing job of maintaining and building trails....and incorporating the horse community into their efforts.

I mentioned this thread to my wife. She thinks it is time to designate some trails horse only. "the horses were there first".

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I have never ran into a rude one.
    That's strange most of the time they're jerks to mountain bikers. I know this from first hand experience. I'm not jerking anyone when I say that 90% of equestrians I run into are complete d-bags. It's true, maybe it differs in other areas but most of the ones where I ride are complete scum. However like I said before in rare cases I have run into some very nice equestrians. So, I am not saying that all equestrians are like that.

But yeah, horses should definitely be banned from multi use trails and should have trails designated for them only. I know a guy who almost got killed by crashing into a horse on his bike just outside a blind corner. The animal got spooked and trampled him and broke a few of his ribs. I think the owner of the horse got minor injuries as well if I remember correctly. They pose a threat to us and we pose a threat to them, therefore we should not be anywhere near each other on the trails.
    Last edited by Trail Addict; 04-18-2012 at 09:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Ridin' Furry
    That's strange most of the time they're pretentious jerks to mountain bikers. I know this from first hand experience. I'm not jerking anyone when I say that 90% of equestrians I run into are complete d-bags. It's true, maybe it differs in other areas but most of the ones where I ride are complete scum. However like I said before in rare cases I have run into some very nice equestrians. So, I am not saying that all equestrians are like that.

But yeah, horses should definitely be banned from multi use trails and should have trails designated for them only. I know a guy who almost got killed by crashing into a horse on his bike just outside a blind corner. The animal got spooked and trampled him and broke a few of his ribs. I think the owner of the horse got minor injuries as well if I remember correctly. They pose a threat to us and we pose a threat to them, therefore we should not be anywhere near each other on the trails.

There is a simple solution to this problem. Yield to them and promote trail advocacy, its not very hard.

I feed hamburgers to cows
    My only beef with them is not picking up after their horse. I have to pick up after my dog, why don't they?
    Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know a guy who almost got killed by crashing into a horse on his bike just outside a blind corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskywolf View Post

There is a simple solution to this problem. Yield to them and promote trail advocacy, its not very hard.
    it is kinda hard if its a blind corner and you cant see them coming. but then again thats the risk you take hauling ass down a mountain on a bike.
    The person who said bad publicity is better than no publicity never fell down a cliff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've got a story I don't mind lamenting about. I was in Montana de Oro the other day out for a ride on Hazard Peak Trail down to Manzanita. I stopped at a bench on a corner and put some of my gear on while I sipped through my Camelbak. I looked down at Hazard Canyon Road and watched as a group of three horses made their way into the canyon. I looked 20 feet ahead of them at the trail-head for Manzanita, the trail I planned on riding. To myself, I grumbled, "please don't go up Manzanita"

I waited and watched as they crossed the small creek, something that took the group far too long. I immediately knew that one of the horses was most likely not ready for these trails. Down at the little creek are some stone pavers that the group had to cross over. Inexperienced horses are generally deterred by these pavers and ultimately take longer to cross them.

So there I am, half way done with my descent, watching and waiting patiently as they make their way up Manzanita. It wasn't until they were at the half way point that I decided to continue down Hazard Peak Trail to the begin of the descent for Manzanita. As I waited, I pulled my bike a few feet off the trail onto a slight slope. I took off my helmet and glasses and rest those on my bike as I stuffed my gloves into my pockets. I knew the horses would be somewhat inexperienced so I took it upon myself to be prepared for them and to be as respectful as I possibly could.

Well, I must say-the owners were all nice, but being nice doesn't necessarily make someone good at training or riding a horse. The group came around a corner, so I began to gently talk to the people so that I could let the horses know I was human. When the horse was some 15 feet away, it stood up on its hind legs and nearly bucked the rider off as it made a 180 degree turn, knocking into the horse behind it!
    "WHY in the world was this horse in the lead of the line?" I seemed to yell inside my mind. "Maybe there is something to this that I don't understand," I concluded.
    They were all very apologetic and everything, but the horse was still very startled and had a hard time making it by me. The other two in line very totally fine and I remarked to the lady who was making conversation with me that horses just need to see mountain bikes in homeopathic amounts.

So I continued down Manzanita, pleased to see no horse apples in the middle of the trail, but I couldn't help but think of how terribly wrong an encounter with that particular horse could go.

Regardless, it was the beginning of spring break for most individuals, and the horse camp was inherently packed to the brim with equestrian advocates. I held my tongue on the negatives that I had to say, but once again-I found myself in a position where I felt that the rider was incapable of properly controlling his horse. For a while, I thought to myself, "wow, horses should really just be banned from Manzanita trail, they need to just use East Boundary as a go-to alternative," as they really do erode it quickly, but I ultimately realized that trail will sink into the canyon soon enough anyways.

Well, time to get out and ride!
    Last edited by ehigh; 04-19-2012 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Horses can be very unpredictable and much of the rider's unease and "attitude" stems from fear of the unknown.

My wife reminded me of an incident she had at MDO, Hazard Canyon trail to the beach while on our mule Charlie. Charlie was the perfect trail horse (mule). You could ride him anywhere with confidence. Bikes didn't phase him.

However, surfboards were another story. He hated and feared surfboards. One time on the Hazard trail he reared and bolted through the trees when a surfer appeared on the trail.....took her about a quarter mile before he even wanted to stop.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    All I have to say is they complain and state that mountain bikers destroy and damage trails and yet they insist on having huge parking areas near trailheads to trailer the horses in. How much habitat does that destroy? Not to mention they introduce invasive plant species in their crap and contaminate water.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Be careful what you wish for in separate trails for horses. Many horse people are well connected with the people who make the decisions about trails. They may shut mtn bikes out of more trails.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member

"the horses were there first".
    This isn't the first place I heard this comment, my reply is always "Yeah but this is the 21st century"

That being said I have never had an issue with people on horses. I mostly encounter them in the Santa Monica Mountains or Marshal Cyn.

mtbr member
    Regarding horses "being there first," I think you could argue that horses in North America are an invasive species.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well, so are white people, like myself, but that can just go on forever

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    "horses were there first" (before bikes but probably after hikers) is a statement of fact that indicates that horsemen's rights may be viewed as trumping bikers rights in a political fight.

At this point bikers and horsemen and hikers co-exist well at MDO. Thanks to the hard work of CCCMB and efforts of local bikers, horse people and hikers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Being first or second doesn't really have
    anything to do with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Being first or second doesn't really have
    anything to do with it.
    I feel that your statement is rather unstable. It's very common for who "was there first" to have the right of way in many circumstances in our culture. As a result, this mentality is assumed in other circumstances, rather inherently, so I feel, as it is such a common habit that it is assumed unconsciously by many people. I feel that people can even become blinded to this habit, hence the importance of defensive driving. So this may seem a little off tangent, but here is my point that I am trying to make sequitur as I eat this pinto bean & mushroom soup: this mentality ascends into the legal tier. A grew up with a few friend's whose parents owned horse ranches and I cannot say that I ever heard to many great things about mountain bikes; and I definitely did hear some first come first serve mentality in between the banter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ehigh, I understand what you are saying. But just because a horse
    might have come before a bike doesn't give them the right over us for
    trail usage. That is all I was trying to say. I just wish all trail users could
    get along better. I myself really haven't had any problems with any type
    of trail user. However I go out of my way to be nice. I want to get along
    with everyone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have found the majority of horse people to be the rudest, self-entitled aholes on the trails. Granted they are not all like this, but I would say 4 out of 5 are. Also ask the trail managers if these people ever come out to do maintenance. NEVER do they! I follow a simple courtesy plan now, and if the favor is not returned I will get right back on my bike and ride by them with them yelling and screaming.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInt View Post
    I have found the majority of horse people to be the rudest, self-entitled aholes on the trails.
    Exactly. That's really what annoys me most about them. It's no BS most equestrians are jerks, at least to mountain bikers.

If they're going to be jerks to us why shouldn't we be jerks to them? I say be courteous and yield to horses but if they're going to be an a-hole to you after you have shown them courtesy and respect, then crank it up to your highest gear and run them off the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I always slow down to about 3-4 mph when approaching a horse and the riders, so far, have been very... trail courteous and friendly. Some mtb'ers on the other hand need to learn some trail etiquette. No, make that social etiquette in general. Maybe horse riders are old school and give respect when given respect. Lesson realized is that a little respect goes along way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBng4fun View Post
    Lesson realized is that a little respect goes along way.
    I've also learned that when horses are involved a little respect often goes unappreciated.

SS Pusher Man
    Another week......another horse thread.....sorry just gets old.

They allowed to be on trail.....WE have to learn to deal with it.

Cyclists are the bottom of the ladder when it comes to multi-use trails.

You would all change your attitudes of you got out on a horse and rode it on the same trails with bikes. Same thing, try going for a hike on your local trails that mtn bikers ride.....it will change your prospective.

We own a horse......I don't like horses.....I don't ride horses. BUT......I understand why the animal is the way they are. I have gone on a mtn bike ride while my wife rode the horse along with me.....about 2-4 feet behind me. Followed me like a puppy.

Mtn bikers say that horse people are jerks on the trails......I come across more asshat mtn bikers than I do equestrians.....and we ride on a very big horse community. There are people like that reward less of the mode of transportation.

Educate yourself a little......it goes a long way.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    I say be courteous and yield to horses but if they're going to be an a-hole to you after you have shown them courtesy and respect, then crank it up to your highest gear and run them off the trail.
    Do you really think you stand an iota of a chance against a 1100 lbs hoofed beast? Their only instinct is to survive. If you are in their way and you create the disturbance, you will get trampled.

Just remember that when

1. You wake up in a hospital with 28 staples in your head from startled horse you tried to run off the road
    2. All cyclist are banned from a trail due to one persons actions
    3. How all the other cyclists will remember you for your actions

I don't own a horse, I don't ride a horse, and I don't want a horse. However, they have as much right to the trails as we do. Respect has to start somewhere. I don't care what side of the bed you wake up on. Be the bigger person.

Its funny but go back and review this entire thread. Take a look at how many riders are advocating hostility towards the equestrians. Yes there are bad apples, but this entire thread is hardly putting our community in a good light.

It is common knowledge that a bike must yield to hikers and horses. This does not mean stop but it does mean they have the right of way. You are not in a race and you training ride will not be ruined by waiting 30 seconds to pass a horse. Just be patient. You will get to your destination. I promise.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Do you really think you stand an iota of a chance against a 1100 lbs hoofed beast? Their only instinct is to survive. If you are in their way and you create the disturbance, you will get trampled.

Just remember that when

1. You wake up in a hospital with 28 staples in your head from startled horse you tried to run off the road
    2. All cyclist are banned from a trail due to one persons actions
    3. How all the other cyclists will remember you for your actions

I don't own a horse, I don't ride a horse, and I don't want a horse. However, they have as much right to the trails as we do. Respect has to start somewhere. I don't care what side of the bed you wake up on. Be the bigger person.

Its funny but go back and review this entire thread. Take a look at how many riders are advocating hostility towards the equestrians. Yes there are bad apples, but this entire thread is hardly putting our community in a good light.

It is common knowledge that a bike must yield to hikers and horses. This does not mean stop but it does mean they have the right of way. You are not in a race and you training ride will not be ruined by waiting 30 seconds to pass a horse. Just be patient. You will get to your destination. I promise.

Unfortunately, we as a user group will have a hard time getting along with other user groups......we can't even get along with our own user group.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    ehigh, I understand what you are saying. But just because a horse
    might have come before a bike doesn't give them the right over us for
    trail usage. That is all I was trying to say. I just wish all trail users could
    get along better. I myself really haven't had any problems with any type
    of trail user. However I go out of my way to be nice. I want to get along
    with everyone.
    I respect and agree with your statement, I'm just putting out my observations of the mentalities of those whom I have experienced. I have noticed some who go out of their way to start things simply for the rise of it, and I don't agree with that. It really isn't hard for us to slow down, pull over, smile, and to hold our tongue-even when the other person is irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Unfortunately, we as a user group will have a hard time getting along with other user groups......we can't even get along with our own user group.
    Yeah wait a minute, I find myself yielding to and nearly getting run off the trail by bikes more often than horses-so ban cyclists; right?

banned
    That "Yield to" sign is so flippin' outdated.

It needs to reflect that ALL users need to GOOMFW if I'm going after a Strava KOM.

(I keed, I keed.)

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    That "Yield to" sign is so flippin' outdated.

It needs to reflect that ALL users need to GOOMFW if I'm going after a Strava KOM.

(I keed, I keed.)
    I know you are.

If will be funny when you come screaming around a blind corner trying to get your position on the board and.....

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I always stop and pull over when horses are approaching. No big deal. I also compliment the horses ("what a beauty" or whatever), unless the owners are real tools. Horse owners love to hear how beautiful their animals are. Kind of like your girlfriend.
    If not biking, then what?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    If will be funny when you come screaming around a blind corner trying to get your position on the board and.....
    Could be worse...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ytWgovxo3eA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    I always yield to centaurs

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator

You would all change your attitudes of you got out on a horse and rode it on the same trails with bikes. Same thing, try going for a hike on your local trails that mtn bikers ride.....it will change your prospective.
    just ride a horse in general and you will see how dangerous they can be, not all horses are well trained, nor the riders.

I have also hiked many trails with MTB, and being a biker I do my best to yield to the bikes because I believe Pedestrians SHOULD have to yield to faster moving traffic, I feel the same way about our road ways, no Human should legally be allowed to step in front of a car and demand the right of way, but I saw it done on Monday heading into work.....

eh, just deal with it, stay away from the horses as much as you can and the world will be a better place because of it.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    i only see horse people in PQ

mtbr member
    Ughh.. Had my first horse experience yesterday about 7 miles into the trail. Actually it was horse crap, not the horse(s) since they were gone. Are they required to clean up horse crap like you would with your dog?

What had me really upset was that horses aren't even allowed on this particular trail and there was horse crap all over it.

Don't get me wrong, I love horses, but seeing crap all down the trail had me feeling nauseated and disgusted. Between the heat and the smell, I turned back toward the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    that happened to me before, it was very unpleasant experience. I don't understand some horseback riders. they know for sure that it's gonna happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Can you imagine them getting off their horse, picking up that steaming pile, putting it in a plastic bag and throwing on their saddle........they can't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    good point..but i do it everyday for my dog but she's only 18lbs though..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Can you imagine them getting off their horse, picking up that steaming pile, putting it in a plastic bag and throwing on their saddle........they can't.
    I can imagine it.

This is one main reason why Horses should be confined to the fire roads and us MTBer's and hikers get the single track. At least you can ride around the piles of steaming waste wen on a fire road, harder to do on a single track.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, when was the last time you actually had to ride through it? I know it plagues numerous local trails from time to time, but I haven't actually gone through any of it in some time. Although unsightly, there isn't much to be done about that one.

SS Pusher Man
    That is the problem with these threads.....they start off with why do we have to coexist with the horses on trails........and always end up with "why don't they pick up thier crap".

Just gets old. Kind of like talking to someone that keeps telling the same story over and over and over. You hear it enough, you just start to tune it out.

It is really not a problem.....but it is a straw that anti-horse people can grasp to add flame to an argument.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That is the problem with these threads.....they start off with why do we have to coexist with the horses on trails........and always end up with "why don't they pick up thier crap".

Just gets old. Kind of like talking to someone that keeps telling the same story over and over and over. You hear it enough, you just start to tune it out.

It is really not a problem.....but it is a straw that anti-horse people can grasp to add flame to an argument.
    Yeah, I hear ya. Kind of like the guy that tells us these threads are all the same but still post in them anyway. That gets old. But for some reason these tools can't follow their own advice and "tune it out".

mnoutain bkie rdier

Hmm..

I love horses. They are amazing animals that will do what their owners want..well..usually. I am often concerned that I will spook a horse that causes that horse to do something that results in an injured horse = often a dead horse..

Also, it would be a bummer to spook a horse and have it throw the owner resulting in a broken neck.

It is very dangerous having both mtbs and horses on trails together imo..

Anyhow..

One cool thing that happened about 10 years ago up at Cuyamacas was when a horse owner (walking his horse down a fire road) let his horse free when I passed it on the dh.

It was crazy. The horse ran next to me for about a mile at approx 15 mph. It looked like it was having so much fun keeping up with me.. The horse's right eyeball was literally 5 feet from my head..

I was in the open, so anyone coming up the hill would have seen us and had plenty of time to prepare...

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I always yield to centaurs
    yeh, me too. the centaurs out here are always really nice...usually grazing out in the fields, waving as I ride by using their hooves.

banned
    Apr 2012
    i try not to get kicked

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I don't think they need to pick up after their
    horses, but the boots they wear aren't called
    shi* kickers for nothing. They should at least
    kick the shi* off of the trail.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    so just because its inconvenient for them to clean up after themselves(they chose to put the horse on that trail) they should be allowed to just let the **** lay there in the middle of a trail? its inconvenient for me to pay my rent and to stop at stop signs and red lights on the bike so does that mean i shouldnt have to do those things? nobody told them that they had to ride their horses there and if they dont feel like picking up their **** maybe they should keep their horse at the stable area and ride where nobody else goes.

i hate people who dont pick up after their dogs too. the other day just down the sidewalk from my work there was a dogshit laying right in the middle of the sidewalk. really? right in the middle where everyone has to walk around it? do you just like being a dick to other people? i truly believe that dogs have no place in a suburban setting. they are unnecessary and cause many more problems than they solve. if you want to have one keep it in your damn house.

it amazes me how some people can just have total disregard for others and it doesnt phase them at all.
    The person who said bad publicity is better than no publicity never fell down a cliff.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowHeadsign View Post
    Hi,
    Are you looking for buy Sidewalk Signs thorugh online better to purchase thorugh our site.
    "Sidewalk Signs increase your sales! Most Sidewalk Sign orders are shipped same day. Customers
    will find you faster and you will sell products faster with one of our Sidewalk A-Frame Signs."
    Yeh! Totally. I think everyone here is looking to buy some cool signs....especially if they will increase sales. I know you are not listening spambot, but pound sand

mtbr member
    In the area where we are building new trails we are very aware of the potential for conflict between the two groups (Horse/Bike) that share the area and some of the trails. My biggest fear is that we have an indecent early on that warrants a complaint that will open up a bad can of worms that will hinder our efforts to build trails. We have tried to educate our group to always yield to horses when on horse trails (shared trails), parking area etc. When approaching head on make some vocal contact and dismount. The issue I have yet to resolve is what to do when approaching from behind the horse? My option is usually take a different route - which can be a pain depending where I am on the trail system. I hope to get the horse folks input on this next time I encounter some in the parking lot.

-as far as the horse manure on the trails... Usually it does not smell that bad and it decomposes very fast. Look at it as a technical feature on an otherwise boring shared trail that you are just riding to get to single track anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperK2 View Post
    In the area where we are building new trails we are very aware of the potential for conflict between the two groups (Horse/Bike) that share the area and some of the trails. My biggest fear is that we have an indecent early on that warrants a complaint that will open up a bad can of worms that will hinder our efforts to build trails. We have tried to educate our group to always yield to horses when on horse trails (shared trails), parking area etc. When approaching head on make some vocal contact and dismount. The issue I have yet to resolve is what to do when approaching from behind the horse? My option is usually take a different route - which can be a pain depending where I am on the trail system. I hope to get the horse folks input on this next time I encounter some in the parking lot.

-as far as the horse manure on the trails... Usually it does not smell that bad and it decomposes very fast. Look at it as a technical feature on an otherwise boring shared trail that you are just riding to get to single track anyway.
    Let me know if any of these horse people ever come out for trail maintenance or trail building. I know a few rangers and each has told me they are the most entitled group on the their trails and do nothing to help maintain them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

really?

Well this is my first post.......

1. Is it really that hard to just stop for a couple minutes? Are you willing to take responsibility for contributing to someone's injury or worse all because you couldn't just pull off the trail?

2. Whether biker, horse or hiker....there are jerks in every group. (as is evident while reading three pages of posts) It will not hurt your ego to just ignore them.

3. Are some people really behind splitting up the trails?!!! That is not the answer. What happens then when they designate your favorite trail as horse only? LOL that is just a rediculous notion. It is not that hard to share the trails and be respectful to all.

Bottom line is that we can either just be respectful of the rules of the trail, keep our trails and just have fun. Or we can fight about it until no one gets to use the trails. Stopping for a horse only takes a couple minutes at the most, Stop complaining and just have fun!!

mtbr member

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    I love horses. They are amazing animals that will do what their owners want..well..usually. I am often concerned that I will spook a horse that causes that horse to do something that results in an injured horse = often a dead horse..

Also, it would be a bummer to spook a horse and have it throw the owner resulting in a broken neck.

It is very dangerous having both mtbs and horses on trails together imo..

Anyhow..

One cool thing that happened about 10 years ago up at Cuyamacas was when a horse owner (walking his horse down a fire road) let his horse free when I passed it on the dh.

It was crazy. The horse ran next to me for about a mile at approx 15 mph. It looked like it was having so much fun keeping up with me.. The horse's right eyeball was literally 5 feet from my head..

I was in the open, so anyone coming up the hill would have seen us and had plenty of time to prepare...

We own a horse.......actually my wife owns it...I dont like them, they are not my thing.

That being said....on several occasions I have gone out on trail with my wife riding the horse and me riding my bike. The horse would follow me as though I was the leader of the pack....no once did it spook. Never did he try to pass. When I would pick up the pace, he would walk faster or trot to keep up.

Take the time to stop, say hello to the horse/rider....pet the horse.....let it see you are nothing to be affraid of. Maybe next time the horse will tolerant of cyclists.

mtbr member
    I always yield for horses because I've seen some of them get spooked and try to buck their riders off. Horses are particularly cautious of my bike because it is super noisy. Even if an equestrian signals me to pass I won't do it because my bike sounds like a roller coaster.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Tough call O.P.
    I say stand up and be vocal back in a nice way regardless of how belligerent they get. Explain the term "multi use" trail to them then be on your way. Basically explain then leave that way it wont escalate and you will have planted a seed in thier head. Some pondering on their part for the next encounter.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    We own a horse.......actually my wife owns it...I dont like them, they are not my thing.

That being said....on several occasions I have gone out on trail with my wife riding the horse and me riding my bike. The horse would follow me as though I was the leader of the pack....no once did it spook. Never did he try to pass. When I would pick up the pace, he would walk faster or trot to keep up.

Take the time to stop, say hello to the horse/rider....pet the horse.....let it see you are nothing to be affraid of. Maybe next time the horse will tolerant of cyclists.
    I agree. I have been around horses by default myself for many years. That is cool that your wife's horse follows you on your iron horse

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    When one argues that horses are not compatible with bikes and/or hikers, and that "Equestrian Only Trails" are the solution, or "Bike Only Trails" are the solution, one is effectively advocating for less trail access for mountain bikers.

I believe there is a need for "Bike Only Trails" but my argument for these trails is not because horses and bikes are not compatible. My argument is based on addressing a faction of our sport that requires one way, downhill only trails to be rode at greater speeds and includes technical trail features not appropriate for other modes of transportation.

To argue horses and bikes are not compatible on trails is very dangerous language that could eliminate widespread bike trail access. While equestrians are by far the smallest trail user group as far as participants, equestrians understand the importance of organization, attending local, State & Federal meetings, fund raising, political lobbying, and HISTORY.

I attended the SD County Trails Advisory Committee meeting on 8-1-2012. There were 15 representatives from many equestrian groups, 2 representatives from SDMBA, 1 hiker.

While mountain bikers are whinning about horse $hit on the internet, equestrians are meeting with government officials to form alliances that will, among other things, allow their horses to continue to $hit on the trails. Trails mountain bikers risk losing access to because mountain bikers talk a lot about $hit but the majority do not do any $hit to advocate for shared use trail access.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    When one argues that horses are not compatible with bikes and/or hikers, and that "Equestrian Only Trails" are the solution, or "Bike Only Trails" are the solution, one is effectively advocating for less trail access for mountain bikers.

I believe there is a need for "Bike Only Trails" but my argument for these trails is not because horses and bikes are not compatible. My argument is based on addressing a faction of our sport that requires one way, downhill only trails to be rode at greater speeds and includes technical trail features not appropriate for other modes of transportation.

To argue horses and bikes are not compatible on trails is very dangerous language that could eliminate widespread bike trail access. While equestrians are by far the smallest trail user group as far as participants, equestrians understand the importance of organization, attending local, State & Federal meetings, fund raising, political lobbying, and HISTORY.

I attended the SD County Trails Advisory Committee meeting on 8-1-2012. There were 15 representatives from many equestrian groups, 2 representatives from SDMBA, 1 hiker.

While mountain bikers are whinning about horse $hit on the internet, equestrians are meeting with government officials to form alliances that will, among other things, allow their horses to continue to $hit on the trails. Trails mountain bikers risk losing access to because mountain bikers talk a lot about $hit but the majority do not do any $hit to advocate for shared use trail access.
    Good points, all, BP, but as far as SD County is concerned, Mtb access is a losing cause outside of Nat. Forest and State Park land. Too much Rightwing money is tied in to equestrians, and they have plenty to spread around.

Enough so that when they snap their fingers and tell city/county land managers to "jump", their reply is inevitably, "How high, 'Massah?"

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I forgot to mention something that took place at the SD County Trails Advisory Committee meeting.

A topic brought up was the recent USFS scoping meeting intended to hear public opinions on the proposal to re-designate over 5,000 acres of Cleveland National Forest within SD County to "Wilderness". Obviously SDMBA cannot support such re-designation for it bans mountain bike access.

The equestrians present at the meeting offered their help as they too have been denied access for various reasons in certain areas.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm an avid horseman and I hit the trails daily. I have NEVER had any trouble with Mt bikers. They slow down, some stop and move off trail, all are friendly. I've heard horsemen say the bikers are rude, I'm on the trails more than anyone and I've never seen this. Bikers are not rude at all, some just haven't been around horses so they dont know what to do. I have actually found more of my horse riding buddies to be rude when they hog the trail.

What to do when you see a horseman--

If he's riding a young horse (or if he's a poor horseman who hasn't trained his horse properly), scoot off the trail a little and let him by, or just go real slow and ask if you can pass. There's not rule that says you have to do this, but as a horseman who rides and trains a lot of young horses, I can tell you I really appreciate it when bikers do this. Sometimes I have my hands full. Young horses are scared to death of bikes.

If he's on a calm mature horse- just announce your presents (this is more so the horse knows you're there) then pass slowly. The way you tell if the horse see's you is by his ears. If ears are on you he knows you're there. My two horses are around bikes so much you could fly by and they would be fine. Most horses are fine once they see its nothing to fear.

Thank you to all the bikers who are so polite out on the trail.

Curly

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wanted to add to this thread my two Monopoly cents (worth nothing) but I've actually had really positive encounters with Steed-Straddlers in the Conejo Valley and West LA areas. I came across a guy on the lower Santa Rosa trail last week that actually pulled his horse about 5 feet up the up-side of the trail to let me by. The guy was a real-deal cowboy and thus supports Curly's theory of experience.

Really the only A-holes (capitalization intended) I've encountered have been in the Ojai Valley. Screaming at me to get off my bike and walk from 30 yards out kinda erks me. The horse/bike ratio up there is highly weighted to the side of horse riders. Conejo Valley is heavy with MTB and Hike traffic, and so I think that a user group's presence has a lot to do with the assertive or passive nature of the group.

Being both a hiker and a MTBer, the poop all over the trail really drives me up the wall though. Moreso while hiking with a 2 year old on my back. I don't think it's reasonable to get them to remove it, although the use of some of those shat-catching bags the horseback cops use would be nice.

banned

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    I'm an avid horseman and I hit the trails daily. I have NEVER had any trouble with Mt bikers. They slow down, some stop and move off trail, all are friendly. I've heard horsemen say the bikers are rude, I'm on the trails more than anyone and I've never seen this. Bikers are not rude at all, some just haven't been around horses so they dont know what to do. I have actually found more of my horse riding buddies to be rude when they hog the trail.

What to do when you see a horseman--

If he's riding a young horse (or if he's a poor horseman who hasn't trained his horse properly), scoot off the trail a little and let him by, or just go real slow and ask if you can pass. There's not rule that says you have to do this, but as a horseman who rides and trains a lot of young horses, I can tell you I really appreciate it when bikers do this. Sometimes I have my hands full. Young horses are scared to death of bikes.

If he's on a calm mature horse- just announce your presents (this is more so the horse knows you're there) then pass slowly. The way you tell if the horse see's you is by his ears. If ears are on you he knows you're there. My two horses are around bikes so much you could fly by and they would be fine. Most horses are fine once they see its nothing to fear.

Thank you to all the bikers who are so polite out on the trail.

Curly
    Thanks for the positive comments coming from a horseman. I had horses when I was a teenager, and I am genuinely curious how to tell the difference between a young and older horse. All of our horses were older, and I have no idea how to tell, especially if I am on my bike approaching one.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am genuinely curious how to tell the difference between a young and older horse. All of our horses were older, and I have no idea how to tell, especially if I am on my bike approaching one.
    Smaller head, ears moving more, less muscle on chest and rump, a little shorter body, different mouth hardware, head a little higher. These are things horse people will see easily but non-horse peoples eyes dont see them. Just like a serious biker can watch another biker ride by and see/notice stuff that I would never notice. Its hard for me to really explain how to tell if they are young. I guess the best thing to look for is nervousness. Also, when the horses ears are on you he knows you are there. Sorry. I have not been much help.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Most horse people I have encountered are scum.

There's only been like 2 equestrians out of the hundreds I have seen who were actually really kind people.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling Cyco View Post

There's only been like 2 equestrians out of the hundreds I have seen who were actually really kind people.
    Sounds like an attitude problem to me.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Smaller head, ears moving more, less muscle on chest and rump, a little shorter body, different mouth hardware, head a little higher. These are things horse people will see easily but non-horse peoples eyes dont see them. Just like a serious biker can watch another biker ride by and see/notice stuff that I would never notice. Its hard for me to really explain how to tell if they are young. I guess the best thing to look for is nervousness. Also, when the horses ears are on you he knows you are there. Sorry. I have not been much help.
    I am not sure how much of that I personally would notice while riding, but I thank you for the info.

Growing up with horses I do my best to slow down and wait for direction from the riders to see how they react. The only place I have encountered horses is in PQ, and every time they have all been polite.

In most cases people react to your attitude, if you approach with a smile you will normally get one in return.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Unfortunate encounter. It's tough for the uninitiated to "read" what is going on with horses. That may have been a protective stallion with a group of mares in an open area. Horses found in areas where they have little human contact tend to be more easily frightened and thus aggressive.

It is best to stay away from horses that you don't know, especially in open areas. As a MTBer and horse owner I'm constantly amazed at how casual MTBers are around horses, mounted and unmounted.

And as others have said......when you see the ears pinned back be VERY cautious.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In most cases people react to your attitude, if you approach with a smile you will normally get one in return.
    So true.

banned
    It is best to stay away from horses that you don't know, especially in open areas.
    I had a really cool encounter up at Monty Roberts' ranch near Solvang. My daughters and I were roaming around the grounds and horses came up to the fence to greet us. They were very social. I had one put its head over my shoulder while I rubbed its neck, sort of like a hug.

But yeah, as a stranger I wouldn't have approached them if there wasn't a nice sturdy fence between us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had a really cool encounter up at Monty Roberts' ranch near Solvang. My daughters and I were roaming around the grounds and horses came up to the fence to greet us. They were very social. I had one put its head over my shoulder while I rubbed its neck, sort of like a hug.

But yeah, as a stranger I wouldn't have approached them if there wasn't a nice sturdy fence between us.
    Yeah......those were Monty Robert's horses. I wouldn't expect anything less from the "horse whisperer".

IPA tester
    I don't know the correct way to stop a gif image like that horse biting the arm but I clicked on it and it opened in another window. Then I hit esc and it stopped when he was biting his arm. That horse bites the crap out of his arm at the wrist
    Last edited by Dirtrider127; 09-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

banned
    Aug 2012
    Where do you ride?
    Nunya Canyon. Look it up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Nunya Canyon. Look it up.
    gee I wonder why you have so much negative rep... It surely cannot be from your bad attitude. BTW, even though you were too chicken to leave your name I am pretty sure it was you, thanks for the juvenile rep you left for me.

Grow up.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

what is this

Sharing ThE trail

I have been riding since I was a kid. I was a mountain bike guide in Mexico and had to share the trails with horses and cattle never had a problem even when I crashed into a horse on a blind corner. The horse was not hurt. Here in the states we have weekend riders that can not control the horse they ride, poor horse just gets out once or twice a month. If they got out more they would be used to bikes passing by. I know this makes no sence. Just like dogs that have bad owners so do horses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    I don't know the correct way to stop a gif image like that horse biting the arm but I clicked on it and it opened in another window. Then I hit esc and it stopped when he was biting his arm. That horse bites the crap out of his arm at the wrist
    That horse told him she was going to attack, with her ears. The biker just didnt know what to look for. A horse will never attack with out telling you first. This mare is probably the lead mare, she's just doing what she's suppose to do.
    Last edited by curly1; 09-11-2012 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsdtwo View Post
    I have been riding since I was a kid. I was a mountain bike guide in Mexico and had to share the trails with horses and cattle never had a problem even when I crashed into a horse on a blind corner. The horse was not hurt. Here in the states we have weekend riders that can not control the horse they ride, poor horse just gets out once or twice a month. If they got out more they would be used to bikes passing by. I know this makes no sence. Just like dogs that have bad owners so do horses.
    Agree completely.

Members who have read this thread: 1