Scouts Cycling Merit Badge - good 22 miler route?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

New question here. Scouts Cycling Merit Badge - good 22 miler route?

Hi all,

My son is in Scouting BSA (formally Boy Scouts of America) and working on his Cycling Merit badge, they have a Mountain biking option for some of the requirements.

One of the requirements is to do a 22 mile ride in 6 hours or less. There can be short sections of road but no main highways.

I'd like to help organize a ride for him and his fellow scouts. The biggest challenge is that 22 miles is a decent distance - hell, I get tired doing that distance if there is a lot of climbing. So I'm looking for a decent route that is interesting enough but doesn't have a lot of big climbs. We can even run the route with a shuttle so that we can do more descending.

Being that it is Scouts, the trails need to all be legal.

Any good suggestions for routes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lake Hodges and Mule trail, look up the quick and dirty filthy 50 route

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Up and down PQ would work I think too, but Hodges is the most amenable. They just sanitized some bits on the east end to smooth it out too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rides all the bikes!
    You didn't specify your location. But your profile says SD.

San Luis Rey River Trail is about 10 miles that parallels the 76 in Oceanside. 56 Bike Trail parallels the 56 freeway. Both are safe. SLR is better, in my opinion. Flatter, safer.

If you want/need dirt, I agree with the Mule Hill trail. From Lake Hodges to the 78 there is only one real climb, the rest is virtually flat. I did the SD50 out there and it was only about 3000 feet of climbing in a 50 mile run!

One ring to mash them all
    If you're allowed to do repeats / laps, the Big Laguna meadow trail and some of the side trails could give you that mileage.
    Freedom isnít a shield against the negative consequences of oneís own foolishness.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    I will concur with the Hodges plan. Best place for distance and intermediate/fun trails. Boys will have a good time and you can line the North side to the South side with less than a mile of pavement as long as you ride next to the boat ramp road and not on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hodges + Mule trail would be good. For 22 miles, you would need to alter these routes and head out east for Mule trail + Raptor Ridge.

https://www.trailforks.com/route/sco...e-track-bliss/

https://www.trailforks.com/route/sou...h-lake-hodges/

How about a PQ+beach loop? Not very much climbing. But maybe too much road:

https://www.trailforks.com/route/a-pq-beach-loop/

_
    Mar 2004
    2 Laps of the good'ol Fullerton Loop would do the trick. Not sure if that would really 100% qualify as MTB though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    One Ring had the most scenic suggestion. It's an hour away, which fulfills the criteria for going someplace where there is adventure, and maybe even pizza or burgers, or burritos, always pluses for scouts.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    One Ring had the most scenic suggestion. It's an hour away, which fulfills the criteria for going someplace where there is adventure, and maybe even pizza or burgers, or burritos, always pluses for scouts.
    If you stage it from the campground day use area, you could have a post-ride BBQ.
    Freedom isnít a shield against the negative consequences of oneís own foolishness.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    just did a quick check in mapmyride. starting from south end of Peter's canyon into Irvine regional with a lap of the dam area of Santiago Oaks is already 22 miles. this is before you even get into hills of santiago oaks or weir canyon.