San Juan Trail shuttling- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

San Juan Trail shuttling

Hello,

Anyone know if you can still shuttle the San Juan Trail currently with the Blue Jay Campground being closed? I am trying to help organize a ride for the upcoming weekend. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    not sure about the blue jay scenario... but just pedal it. IMO, shuttling right now seems like a really un-necessary risk and SJT is easy to pedal from the bottom.

mtbr member
    Parking lot by the Candy Store is still closed but there are nearby turnouts you can park at.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by retswen View Post
    Hello,

Anyone know if you can still shuttle the San Juan Trail currently with the Blue Jay Campground being closed? I am trying to help organize a ride for the upcoming weekend. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    I cannot speak for the campground itself, but the trail head is not "technically" in the camp ground. You would have to ask the state parks office if parking at the trail-head is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    not sure about the blue jay scenario... but just pedal it. IMO, shuttling right now seems like a really un-necessary risk and SJT is easy to pedal from the bottom.
    Why is shuttling it an un-necessary risk? Please explain yourself.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I second pedaling up it. We used to ride it all the time and never shuttled.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I cannot speak for the campground itself, but the trail head is not "technically" in the camp ground. You would have to ask the state parks office if parking at the trail-head is okay.

Why is shuttling it an un-necessary risk? Please explain yourself.
    I think it's pretty self explanatory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Hello,

Thank you!
    Haven't been in a few months but the upper portion was a mess with downed trees and washed out sections from the winter. Shuttling was possible but it was an adventure to ride to Cocktail Rock. The pedal up to Cocktail is easy and rewarding. If you do go to the top and shuttle post up the trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    I think it's pretty self explanatory.
    Then it should be easy for you to explain.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by suciedadbik View Post
    The pedal up to Cocktail is easy and rewarding.
    Strongly Disagree. Not everyone who rides is in such fitness.

I have shuttled San Juan a number of times over the years and never once have I wanted to climb it.

Same for Noble.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

If you have to ask...
    Strongly Disagree. Not everyone who rides is in such fitness.

I have shuttled San Juan a number of times over the years and never once have I wanted to climb it.

Same for Noble.

I've ridden both trails more times than I could count, and have never wanted to shuttle either one!
    It's 7:09 California time

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I've ridden both trails more times than I could count, and have never wanted to shuttle either one!
    That is the beauty of this sport, multiple ways for the user group to enjoy the same trail networks.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The unnecessary health risk with shuttling is knuckleheads riding with full-face helmets and headphones crashing into uphill riders in their cross-country gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_Encinitas View Post
    The unnecessary health risk with shuttling is knuckleheads riding with full-face helmets and headphones crashing into uphill riders in their cross-country gear.
    If you think all knuckleheads are mostly shuttlers and/or wearing full faces then you’ve never ridden in Orange County. There are behavior/etiquette problems on every trail (and on this forum). Also, while it’s easy to point fingers at the shuttlers, many of the spandex xc guys are just as bad.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    wow, now that is some pretty ignorant thinking right there.

Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    If you think all knuckleheads are mostly shuttlers and/or wearing full faces then you’ve never ridden in Orange County. There are behavior/etiquette problems on every trail (and on this forum). Also, while it’s easy to point fingers at the shuttlers, many of the spandex xc guys are just as bad.
    Agreed.

In all the times I have shuttled San Juan not one person in my party was wearing a full face helmet, and when we did encounter a few uphill riders and hikers we were quick to yield to them as we should.

So basically there is no "added risk" to shuttling San Juan, if there is a place to park and you want to shuttle it, please do so.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I shake my head at people who drive 60-90 mins just to shuttle San Juan or Noble. It just isn't worth the drive for me. Climb them first or combine with other trails to make for a bigger ride and now you've got something worthy.

There are behavior/etiquette problems on every trail (and on this forum). Also, while it’s easy to point fingers at the shuttlers, many of the spandex xc guys are just as bad.
    I agree there are knuckleheads everywhere. That said, I've never seen a rider climbing San Juan so fast they were unable to stop in time to avoid crashing into someone who is descending. The opposite has happened to a few people I know while they were climbing San Juan and many others, myself included have had close calls. It isn't shuttling itself that is the problem it is people riding way too fast on bi-directional, multi-use trails. Especially when there are way more inexperienced riders and covid hikers on the trails now, and in places you would seldom see hikers in the past.

mtbr member
    wow, now that is some pretty ignorant thinking right there.
    If you'd ever climbed SJT, you might find it's not all that ignorant.

That place is a magnet for clueless shuttlers. I'm not against shuttling, and I'm not saying those here are clueless... but that's just a fact.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I agree there are knuckleheads everywhere. That said, I've never seen a rider climbing San Juan so fast they were unable to stop in time to avoid crashing into someone who is descending. The opposite has happened to a few people I know while they were climbing San Juan and many others, myself included have had close calls. It isn't shuttling itself that is the problem it is people riding way too fast on bi-directional, multi-use trails. Especially when there are way more inexperienced riders and covid hikers on the trails now, and in places you would seldom see hikers in the past.
    So you’re saying the problem isn’t specifically because of shuttlers but more so of being a heavily trafficked in/out trail (I.e. a heavily used in both directions)? If yes, I completely agree with that. I don’t ride SJ very often because I don’t enjoy the stress of almost getting hit over & over on the climb [I climb SJ, I don’t shuttle it ] and also don’t like the interruption of constantly stopping on the descent.

That said, I've never seen a rider climbing San Juan so fast they were unable to stop in time to avoid crashing into someone who is descending.
    I never said or implied climbers were at fault (nor has anyone else on this thread). I was pointing out that bad behavior isn’t limited to shuttlers since some on here think they’re the problems. I’ve come very close to getting run over by spandex descenders that weren’t shuttlers. That said, we could easily get off on a tangent about rude ascenders.

Especially when there are way more inexperienced riders and covid hikers on the trails now, and in places you would seldom see hikers in the past.
    Totally agree about increased issues because of covid. Trail crowding is problem in SoCal, even more so with the large influx of inexperienced people. I’m riding less because of the increased use & contact with others.

mtbr member
    Look at @kdiff getting busy!! I haven't seen you posting in a while. Maybe I'm on the wrong forums.

My question on the "shuttling right now is an unnecessary risk comment"....that makes zero sense as EVERYBODY, including the climbers to Cocktail Rock are going to be coming down the bottom 6 miles at pretty much equal speeds so both the shuttlers & climbers present THE EXACT SAME RISK on the downhill section. I would actually argue that if you think the shuttlers are the dangerous ones, the climbers are the ones putting themselves at unnecessary risk....Covid or not.

Now don't going trying to spin that to fit your agenda. I did NOT say anything bad about climbers (I do both depending on who I'm riding with, how much time I have and trail conditions). I yield for climbers on a regular basis AND shuttlers most of the time because I want them to enjoy the fun of going down. In the end, that's what it's all about, having a good time and all Klure is trying to say is people have fun in different ways and that's okay. I know one crazy dude that doesn't shuttle Palm Canyon so if you're not a shuttler fan, maybe you should too.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    the climbers are the ones putting themselves at unnecessary risk....Covid or not.
    That's ridiculous. Do you seriously believe the climbers are somehow responsible for the descenders lack of ability to control their bike enough to avoid a crash?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    That's ridiculous. Do you seriously believe the climbers are somehow responsible for the descenders lack of ability to control their bike enough to avoid a crash?
    I swear people only read what they want to read. If you re-read it.....slowwwwwly, you'll see I was essentially making a statement to ONE person who thought it was more dangerous to shuttle NOW because of Covid.....and I guess you missed this part:
    "Now don't going trying to spin that to fit your agenda. I did NOT say anything bad about climbers (I do both depending on who I'm riding with, how much time I have and trail conditions)."

But to answer your question....NO, the climbers are not responsible for the behavior of the riders coming down but if the poster in question really believes shuttlers (or anybody coming down) are out of control and dangerous, why would you put yourself at risk?
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I swear people only read what they want to read. If you re-read it.....slowwwwwly, you'll see I was essentially making a statement to ONE person who thought it was more dangerous to shuttle NOW because of Covid.....and I guess you missed this part:
    "Now don't going trying to spin that to fit your agenda. I did NOT say anything bad about climbers (I do both depending on who I'm riding with, how much time I have and trail conditions)."

But to answer your question....NO, the climbers are not responsible for the behavior of the riders coming down but if the poster in question really believes shuttlers (or anybody coming down) are out of control and dangerous, why would you put yourself at risk?
    I didn't miss anything... I just found that one statement absolutely crazy regardless of what your intent was, and then backing away from it seemed like you were vacillating for some reason.

BTW, I'm guessing his take on shuttling being more dangerous now might be related to a bunch of guys piling in a truck (given op is "organizing" ride) ... along with the potential risk of injury/burden on healthcare system. Could be wrong though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    along with the potential risk of injury/burden on healthcare system. Could be wrong though.
    It is a big leap to say that only shuttlers have the potential to put any sort of undue burden on the healthcare system....

Getting out of your bed and deciding to go outside and exercise always brings with it a risk. The issue is how big of a risk is it, and should it matter to others.

There is no epidemic of shuttlers or anyone else descending San Juan that anyone can make a statement that riding a bicycle downhill on the multi-use San Juan Trail is a burden on the Healthcare system or an unnecessary risk.

It sounds like everyone here needs to go outside and pedal a bit to let off some stress and stay away from the keyboard for a while. There are many problems in the world worth talking about, riders traveling downhill at San Juan is not one of them.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    You quoted me as if I was the one who posted the "obvious" statement. I was just bringing possible insight into what that poster might be thinking given the current state. Confirm this and argue with him.

There are many problems in the world worth talking about, riders traveling downhill at San Juan is not one of them.
    Easy for you to dismiss as you haven't had your fingers bloodied by some clown who has little business being on that trail. The guy who couldn't stop... because it was his "first ride in clipless pedals".

This is a frequent thing, and if you were more then just some occasional shuttler, you'd know this. Like I said, SJT is a magnet for the clueless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Easy for you to dismiss as you haven't had your fingers bloodied by some clown who has little business being on that trail. The guy who couldn't stop... because it was his "first ride in clipless pedals".

This is a frequent thing, and if you were more then just some occasional shuttler, you'd know this. Like I said, SJT is a magnet for the clueless.
    I am only an occasional shuttler at SJT because I live in San Diego, have small kids and don't have the time to get up there often.

Sounds like the best thing for you and the other climbers whining about this is to stay away from SJT if it really is that dangerous for you.... I still have serious doubts this is an issue worth talking about to the point of trying to dissuade people from wanting to shuttle it.

to those who want to shuttle it, shuttle it. Just practice safe trail ettiquite...

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    This is the best thread on the internet right now.

Can anyone confirm that the top part of San Juan is rideable?

Last report in March was that there was a massive sinkhole and a ton of downed trees above Cocktail rock.

mtbr member

Re the fingers/hand, that sucks. I get it and I would be pissed. My bad experiences aren’t mostly shuttlers, I see bad behavior everywhere, so I don’t see the shuttle as the issue, its the people. The clueless are in the process of taking everything over.

Re SJ, I don’t ride it during peak times so maybe the shuttling is becoming excessive. If OP has beginners in his party then I agree that they shouldn’t be shuttling, it’s not a beginner trail.

mtbr member

Sounds like the best thing for you and the other climbers whining about this is to stay away from SJT if it really is that dangerous for you....
    Brilliant. When probably half of the trail users use it as a bidirectional trail... the solution is to just tell them not to come, right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    The clueless are in the process of taking everything over.

Re SJ, I don’t ride it during peak times so maybe the shuttling is becoming excessive. If OP has beginners in his party then I agree that they shouldn’t be shuttling, it’s not a beginner trail.
    Agreed, I don't ride anywhere during peak times if I can help it. I am just not a fan of crowded trails at all. From what I have read about the current Conditions of San Juan I probably won't make plans to go ride it on a Saturday or a Sunday, shuttle or not. If I do go up it will be mid-week when there are less trail users in general.

Brilliant. When probably half of the trail users use it as a bidirectional trail... the solution is to just tell them not to come, right?
    We cannot control what the masses do, we can only control what we as individuals do. Crying about something that is out of our control on MTBR is not going to change anything. If those who hate the shuttlers really want to implement some sort of change they are free to contact the Land Managers and complain to them directly. If they want to try and dissuade shuttling on MTBR I will happily encourage others to shuttle it and encourage proper trail etiquette while doing so.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    We cannot control what the masses do, we can only control what we as individuals do. Crying about something that is out of our control on MTBR is not going to change anything. If those who hate the shuttlers really want to implement some sort of change they are free to contact the Land Managers and complain to them directly. If they want to try and dissuade shuttling on MTBR I will happily encourage others to shuttle it and encourage proper trail etiquette while doing so.
    At the risk of repeating myself, I have nothing against shuttling. I DO have a big problem with the frequency of riders on SJT who are clueless, unprepared, or have a blatant disregard for fellow trail users. Typically shuttlers. There's the likelihood that experienced riders are bringing the clueless riders the trail... and just maybe readers here will think twice before...

Bringing an inexperienced/underskilled rider
    Not bring a bell
    Bombing blind corners
    Riding over their head
    Not yielding to uphill riders
    Etc.

Rather then dismiss what has been said as crying, or come up with bs solutions, I'd think you might actually realize there's some merit in what I'm saying. Or not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    At the risk of repeating myself, I have nothing against shuttling. I DO have a big problem with the frequency of riders on SJT who are clueless, unprepared, or have a blatant disregard for fellow trail users. Typically shuttlers. There's the likelihood that experienced riders are bringing the clueless riders the trail... and just maybe readers here will think twice before...

Bringing an inexperienced/underskilled rider
    Not bring a bell
    Bombing blind corners
    Riding over their head
    Not yielding to uphill riders
    Etc.

Rather then dismiss what has been said as crying, or come up with bs solutions, I'd think you might actually realize there's some merit in what I'm saying. Or not.
    What sort of practical solutions do you suggest?

Telling people that shuttling is an unnecessary risk on MTBR (I know it was not you specifically) is not a practical solution.

I am all ears for those who have some productive to add. The best I can think of now is more trail etiquette education and less finger pointing.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    What sort of practical solutions do you suggest?

Telling people that shuttling is an unnecessary risk on MTBR (I know it was not you specifically) is not a practical solution.

I am all ears for those who have some productive to add. The best I can think of now is more trail etiquette education and less finger pointing.
    Given it's easy access, my idea was to voice my perspective here and hopefully it will make a sliver of a difference. The only other thing I can think of is bell boxes at the two primary trailheads. They should be mandatory on that trail, at a minimum by the rider leading out... but that's common sense that no one seems to have these days.

Since the land manager is NFS, it probably takes an act of God to institute any changes that are actually bike friendly.

Like Kdiff said, the clueless seem to be taking over everything. I just felt I needed to mention the effects as I see them on SJT.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by suciedadbik View Post
    This is the best thread on the internet right now.

Can anyone confirm that the top part of San Juan is rideable?

Last report in March was that there was a massive sinkhole and a ton of downed trees above Cocktail rock.
    👆Voice of reason.👍 Plus given the "current situation" you'd think after 30+ posts the topic would be more about all the "shuttlers" being crammed in a van or truck cab than how aggro they'd be descending the trail at Mach speed!🤔...
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^^^ ding, ding, ding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Since some guy on the internet called me ignorant, I feel the need to elaborate. When you shuttle, the whole ride is about the downhill and since you got a ride to the top, you can bring gear that makes the downhill more fun and safer for you. If you wear heavy pads and a full face helmet, and maybe even ride a more DH-oriented bike, you will ride sections you wouldn’t usually ride, corner faster and let the bike rip on the straight sections. Those choices all generate bigger risks for the uphill riders.

I am sure there are people who shuttle to the top and are equally as conservative as they are when they are riding in Lycra on their cross country rig. But I would say that half of those people are rhetorical constructs invented to win arguments and the other half are liars.

Yikes. I skimmed through this entire thread and still don't know who has the biggest eggplant. Let me add my two-cents. If anyone reading this is the guy who is too weak/lazy to climb, yet flies uncontrollably downhill so that he endangers others, then you're the problem. For that matter, if you DO have the stamina to make the climb and you still endanger others on the ride down, then you are the problem. Grow up, son.

But to answer the original question, the parking lot at the lower trailhead is open. The few parking spaces at the top are open.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    If anyone reading this is the guy who is too weak/lazy to climb, yet flies uncontrollably downhill so that he endangers others, then you're the problem. For that matter, if you DO have the stamina to make the climb and you still endanger others on the ride down, then you are the problem. Grow up, son.
    You hit the nail on the head. It is the behaviour of any rider as they descend that can be either good or bad. Makes no difference if they drove to the top or pedaled to the top. We all have to be good ambassadors for the sport no matter where we ride. Being out of control whether in lycra or while wearing pads is out of control.

It is pretty disingenuous to make claims that all _____ riders do _____.

Are there a few guys out there bad for the sport? Yes, do they all ______? No. Bad examples come from all disciplines. Let's stop pointing fingers at a specific group and make it out like that group is the ONLY problem. It is ignorant at best to believe that and stupid at worst.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    LOL some seriously interesting people on these forums. Gate-keeping is always a humorous thing to see...

I'll gladly shuttle or climb the trail, but I would only climb it on a weekday when there is less of a risk of people going down a naturally fast-paced trail, knowing that there are some blind spots that would be a hazard to riders in either direction. To each their own, though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Sorry to do this, but I ran across this post in the Utah Forum:

Moab has a pretty decent set of rules in place, but people aren't following them and enforcement is spotty.

I took a shuttle last Saturday and was surprised that the van was filled to capacity and that I had to ask three out of 11 passengers to put on their masks after they walked into the van without them. About 1/3 of the customers were also walking up to the food trucks without masks on to place orders and pick up their food.

The campground I stayed at also started out 1/2 occupied on Friday but looked to be more like 3/4 occupied by Sunday.

All of the workers seemed to be wearing masks. The problem was the customers.
    Sounds like Shuttling is fine for you if you are not doing it at SJT......

source thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/utah/moab-op...s-1139269.html

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I sometimes shuttle myself, so I'm not saying shuttling is a bad idea, I'm saying that shuttling SJT is a bad idea---- It's a beginner/intermediate trail close to an urban area with a ton of two-way traffic, blind corners and inexperienced riders. Shuttling Noble Canyon would be fine with me, since everyone rides up the road or Indian Creek Trail.

An internet sleuth/SoCal MTBR participant has proven that I shuttled in Moab last weekend and I was fine with that decision at the time I made it. I talked about my Utah experience with a buddy yesterday and we decided that shuttling in vans was horrible from a COVID-19 perspective--- You are in close contact, in a confined space, for an extended period of time, with people who may not take the precautions the shuttle services require. Each of those considerations increase the chances exponentially and the non-compliance pushed it over the top.

The end result of my experience is that, because three other people walked into the shuttle without masks and I stayed on the van because I was so stoked to ride the Whole Enchilada, I'm now self-isolating for 14 days. Commercial shuttling with people I don't know seems like too high of a risk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, exactly. SJT is a horrible trail for shuttling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    @kdiff, Are you saying this from actual experience? That you've actually experienced a descending rider on an 80mm travel XC bike wearing spandex, a road helmet and no pads descending in a manner that put an uphill rider at risk?

mtbr member
    @kdiff, Are you saying this from actual experience? That you've actually experienced a descending rider on an 80mm travel XC bike wearing spandex, a road helmet and no pads descending in a manner that put an uphill rider at risk?
    No, I’m just making stuff up to support what I say. Seriously man?

(And since it seems like you need help with this sort of thing, that first sentence was sarcasm.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Yes, exactly. SJT is a horrible trail for shuttling.
    I am going to continue to disagree with you on that point.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dude, you are blessed! Did you know you are more likely to see a unicorn on the trail farting rainbows than a threatening XC downhill rider? That's awesome to hear. Congratulations.

Trail Ninja
    Bars used to be narrower 10 years ago. I don't recall having as much problem with DH traffic whizzing by back then. I don't ride that specific trail often any more but the last time I did, I was with a group of older riders, and was riding on the back wheel of a big guy who basically cleared the way for me. I recall him getting pissed that he got bumped by a straggler of a DH group, that forced him to dismount due to losing balance. He was venting anger that uphill riders have right-of-way. The rest of us kind of believed that they didn't want to ruin the flow of DH riders, so gave them as much room as possible.

They tend to pass by without drama, but the scary ones were not the fast ones, but the ones that looked least stable. They tended to be dragging brakes and riding like typical XC noobs. I'd be turning around expecting them to go OTB at any moment. Danger to themselves as much as they're a danger to other trail users. I know I upsized my rotors on all my bikes due to SJT. 160mm rotors + Avid Elixirs couldn't really bring me to a complete stop if I needed to in an emergency.

Can descend SJT on a XC bike, but Noble calls for some suspension to be enjoyed. The pavement climb is pretty boring. Got no issues with shuttlers here, mostly cause I doubt anyone's gonna be riding it in the opposite direction. SJT's another story. Not a great due to the uphill traffic, but considering it takes me between 60-90 minutes to just climb to coctail rock without much shade from the sun, I can understand the urge to skip the climb.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Shuttling Noble Canyon would be fine with me, since everyone rides up the road or Indian Creek Trail.
    Bzzzzt...Wrong.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    This thread is great. If you want to shuttle it, shuttle it. If you want to ride up, ride up. But either way, on the way down, use trail etiquette. Really not much more to say on this subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Haven't ridden it in years since the group of friends mostly moved away, but we rode really early and never had the "crazy descender" problem. Also, except for negotiating a few switchbacks (which i may or not have been successful at on a given day), never considered it a tough ascent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hello,

Thank you!
    I've shuttled it twice in the last week. First time parked on the side of the road 20 yards past the trailhead, second time parked near the picnic table a few hundred yards lower down the hill from Blue Jay.

Both Old and New San Juan are overgrown so maybe wear eye pro and expect some good arm scratches if you run wider bars. Horse flies and gnats were really bad on the last run so plan for that.

Only met one person coming uphill out of both rides, and that was below Cocktail Rock.

I don't know if it was all the tequila we drank on the drive to Blue Jay, the sun, my full face helmet, or the N95 mask, but it was quite hot on the second run. It cooled off though once we hit 40mph.