San Juan Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: San Juan Trail

mtbr member

San Juan Trail

Headed south this weekend and planning on riding San Juan Trail for the first time. I was gonna ride my Heckler but it broke this past weekend and I don't think I can fix it in time. My question is can I ride my Transition Blindside up SJT or is it too brutal of a climb on a heavier bike? My BS climbs pretty well, but I thought I'd get opinions from those who know the trail. Thanks!

Over it
    Jun 2010
    It's a very climbable trail, with low tech and just a few short, steep sections. But it's longish--6 miles before you get a decent break. What's the worst that could happen?

Edit: And there's no shame in shuttling (plenty of people do on this trail) !. You could post up for a shuttle partner and drop the whole 11 miles from Blue Jay campground. Either way, conditions should be near perfect after the recent rain. And--either way--I would strongly suggest including the lollipop loop (clockwise) in the middle.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-27-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

mtbr member
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. I can always tuck my tail and turn around.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. I can always tuck my tail and turn around.
    Never ever turn around because you can't hike-a-bike a few "yards"....JHC, why get a MTB in the first place. If one is having problems like this, they should stick to the beginner/bunny slopes...and leave the technical/advanced/uphill stuff for the rest of us....older guys!

mtbr member
    I'm not one to shy away from long, steep, tech climbs and I've done my fair share of pushing. I just didn't want to attempt it if it was gonna be horrible since I get one ride with the most fun possible. This is the bike in question.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...me-750745.html

mtbr member
    only 1 way to find out !

most memberable
    May 2011
    I'm not one to shy away from long, steep, tech climbs and I've done my fair share of pushing. I just didn't want to attempt it if it was gonna be horrible since I get one ride with the most fun possible. This is the bike in question.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...me-750745.html
    My 85yo grandmother could make it up on that thing! If you're over 40yo old, I'd say no don't bother on that rig. Anything one under and in relatively good shape, yes.

Seriously, it may not be rewarding going up SJT on that thing, but sure as heck would be coming down. Just don't wait for it to get too sandy up there before you do. I've ridden it in all conditions both good and bad....never failed to complete the ride. And, I own and old POS!

beer is good for u
    Just get there early if you're riding up. Starting at after 9am on a weekend will have you stopping a ton for people coming down at best, and likely some raw nerves by the time you hit cocktail rock...

Definitely climbable on that bike just get on it early!

mtbr member
    I will be climbing and descending this early on Friday. Sounds like a fun climb (in a sick kind of way) with a real run descent. Anyone want to crush an out of shape Coloradoan, let me know. I'd like to leave the trailhead around 730.

mtbr member
    I am not seeing this on the trail guide, could someone post either direction to the trailhead and trail description, thx

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    My 85yo grandmother could make it up on that thing! If you're over 40yo old, I'd say no don't bother on that rig. Anything one under and in relatively good shape, yes.

Seriously, it may not be rewarding going up SJT on that thing, but sure as heck would be coming down. Just don't wait for it to get too sandy up there before you do. I've ridden it in all conditions both good and bad....never failed to complete the ride. And, I own and old POS!
    So lets see your 85 year old grandma could do it on that bike. But if you're over 40 don't try it but if you are under 40 you're good to go. WTF mrakes your 85 year old Grandma so tough? Oh wait she drinks Red Bull doesn't she. And I bet she would be looking style'N on that purple rig.

OP, nice ride! Just do it the pain going up makes the descent that much more sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by coloskifreak View Post
    I am not seeing this on the trail guide, could someone post either direction to the trailhead and trail description, thx
    Here ya go... MountainBikeBill's Mountain biking Trail Reviews, Videos and Pictures
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    MountainbikeBill's site has good directions. And you'll need an Adventure Pass.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Over it
    Jun 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    I'm looking forward to a 6 mile climb. Everything in Co, is still under snow above 7k ft . We have been getting lower elevation rides in but nothing like this. This will test me and my lungs

I'm looking forward to a 6 mile climb. Everything in Co, is still under snow above 7k ft . We have been getting lower elevation rides in but nothing like this. This will test me and my lungs
    Wait a minute I provided the link and the info. before dirtvert yet he gets the credit. dirtvert and I posted those two posts at the same time. Mine went in a millisecond quicker which shows I got the spot above his. And I provided the link he didn't. Not to take credit away from dirtvert but come on. I went through more trouble and was quicker.

mtbr member
    Where can I get an Adventure Pass? I've spent an hour trying to find it online, and I'd like to just buy it online and print it out if possible. What's the easiest way to obtain a pass?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

mtbr member
    Have you actually used that link? I called 3 places which didn't carry them, called the forest service and couldn't get a hold of anyone. I'm trying to give the government some money, but their making it tough.

mtbr member
    Have you actually used that link? I called 3 places which didn't carry them, called the forest service and couldn't get a hold of anyone. I'm trying to give the government some money, but their making it tough.
    Any REI or most sporting goods stores should have them for sale.

mtbr member
    Can the Adventure Passes be purchased at the trailhead or kiosk as I drive into the area ? I brought a computer but didn't bring a printer with me to print one out. .
    Last edited by coloskifreak; 03-27-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Hello
    Headed south this weekend and planning on riding San Juan Trail for the first time. I was gonna ride my Heckler but it broke this past weekend and I don't think I can fix it in time. My question is can I ride my Transition Blindside up SJT or is it too brutal of a climb on a heavier bike? My BS climbs pretty well, but I thought I'd get opinions from those who know the trail. Thanks!

Oh man, it's going to be an awesome weekend! Perfect temps, have an awesome time! I love the San Juan Trail!!!

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    Can the Adventure Passes be purchased at the trailhead or kiosk as I drive into the area ? I brought a computer but didn't bring a printer with me to purchase one out online .
    I don't think you can buy it online, I think you have to find a retail store that sells them or directly from the forest service. I've had a tough time finding a place to buy it. If you find somewhere online, let me know!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    coloskifreak and jmallory,
    if you show up to the lower TH parking area Sat or Sun between 7-9 am a ranger is usually patrolling the parking lot and you can get a pass from them. Worst case scenario: you get a ticket, which I believe is $5 (the same as a day pass), and you have to pay postage.

mtbr member
    I will be climbing and descending this early on Friday. Sounds like a fun climb (in a sick kind of way) with a real run descent. Anyone want to crush an out of shape Coloradoan, let me know. I'd like to leave the trailhead around 730.
    I plan to ride up Friday too, but I don't think I'll get there that early. It's an hour and a half drive to the trailhead for me and it's my day off.

banned
    I bought mine at a Big 5 in San Diego. I don't know why it isn't at the Big 5 in SLO (that's where you are, right?).

There's a Sport Chalet in Laguna Niguel that might carry them. That's just a few miles Northwest of San Juan Capistrano (where you take Hwy 74 to the trail head).

Sport Chalet # 4
    27080 Alicia Parkway
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92656
    949-362-0342
    Annual, Daily, Secondary

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdonner View Post
    coloskifreak and jmallory,
    if you show up to the lower TH parking area Sat or Sun between 7-9 am a ranger is usually patrolling the parking lot and you can get a pass from them. Worst case scenario: you get a ticket, which I believe is $5 (the same as a day pass), and you have to pay postage.
    This was my experience a couple years ago. But please be aware that cars without passes have been ticketed recently in the San Diego Laguna mountains for $55.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I bought mine at a Big 5 in San Diego. I don't know why it isn't at the Big 5 in SLO (that's where you are, right?).

There's a Sport Chalet in Laguna Niguel that might carry them. That's just a few miles Northwest of San Juan Capistrano (where you take Hwy 74 to the trail head).

Sport Chalet # 4
    27080 Alicia Parkway
    Laguna Niguel, CA 92656
    949-362-0342
    Annual, Daily, Secondary
    Yeah, thanks. The Big 5 here carries them so I'm set. The forest service website needs some updating. 3 places I called didn't have them and 2 numbers no longer existed, but I found it and ready to go! They should really look into printable passes that can be purchased online.

Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    This was my experience a couple years ago. But please be aware that cars without passes have been ticketed recently in the San Diego Laguna mountains for $55.
    Yep and that can leave a mark (in your wallet). But what's nice about that area is there is a store and a ranger station that you can buy one at. Do yourself a favor and get one. It's not worth stressing out over during your whole ride.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna do this ride on Thursday morning. PM me if your interested in going.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Given that you ride a Blindside you might have more fun on Chiquito as an out and back. It's on the east side of San Juan. The climb up is certainly more brutal because of it's tech nature but not as long and very worth it if you like rock spines, boulders, rollers and other techy features. SJT is very cool too if you like pedaly flow.

Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Given that you ride a Blindside you might have more fun on Chiquito as an out and back. It's on the east side of San Juan. The climb up is certainly more brutal because of it's tech nature but not as long and very worth it if you like rock spines, boulders, rollers and other techy features. SJT is very cool too if you like pedaly flow.
    Backtrack a few posts and you will see he is riding it on Thursday (today). So right about the time you awesome, if all went well he was in the parking lot drinking a brew (post ride).Wow I never thought one guy riding solo could manage to milk a thread for info two pages long in two days.
    Just joking OP I hope your ride and your day was awesome.
    And please give us all a ride review if what you thought of the trail. It's always nice to hear what an out of towner thinks of our trails. Especially one from such a MTB respected place such as Colorado. My old state and possibly moving back very shortly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Backtrack a few posts and you will see he is riding it on Thursday (today). So right about the time you awesome, if all went well he was in the parking lot drinking a brew (post ride).Wow I never thought one guy riding solo could manage to milk a thread for info two pages long in two days.
    Thanks 2 pages is a lot and I'm waaaay too lazy to read through it all Hopefully the OP had fun.

mtbr member
    I did the San Juan ride this morning, fun ride loved the 6 miles long downhill at the end. I only saw 2 riders early and 3 hikers all day. I did manage to do 95% of then initial climb in my middle ring. The heat of the day got to me on the upper loop and my legs started cramping up a little . Great ride will definitely recommend it to anyone I know traveling out here.
    Sorry to "milk" this page for info for so long.

mtbr member
    Fun times in San Diego, enjoying your trails , find me in Front Range of Co. Have fun out there!

mtbr member
    I am actually the OP and I just got done riding SJT. It was somewhat brutal on my Blindside but I made it to Cocktail Rock. It was a long climb, not real technical but definitely tested my endurance. The only thing keeping me going was the thought of the downhill, and my turn around spot couldn't come quick enough. I'm not talking trash, but the upper half left me a little disappointed. Don't know if I was just really tired, but it was somewhat slow and uneventful. The bottom half with the tacky dirt was by far my favorite! All in all, an awesome ride, talked to some really cool people out there and I would definitely do it again, except with my Heckler instead of my 7.5" BS with a Boxxer. Thanks for all the info, and if anyone is ever in SLO and needs ride suggestions or a guide, let me know!!

mtbr member
    Hey, I saw you out there this morning. I was the guy in red climbing up at the same time. I continued up and did the loop at the top.

Members who have read this thread: 0