San Diego vs. Orange County- Mtbr.com
    orthonormal

San Diego vs. Orange County

I'm looking at several locations for a new job, two of which are in Southern CA. One is in Irvine and another is in Sorrento Valley. I'd be choosing my housing location mainly based on commute time (<20 minutes can adjust hours to minimize traffic), schools (middle and high), and cost of housing (need 3-4 bedrooms under $700K). Easy access to good trails doesn't rank as high but it does count quite a bit.

What am I looking in terms of trail access if I live in Sorrento Valley/Mira Mesa/Poway? How about Lake Forest/Mission Viejo/Aliso Viejo/Rancho Santa Margarita?
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

SS Pusher Man
    San Diego is currently at war with mtn bikers and trail access. Seems like a lot of riding areas are being shut down/closed to bikes.

OC has alot of trails....but also has too many riders....lots of the county parks are already oversaturated with bikes.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    O.C. Is A very desirable location, near the largest city the west coast. Therefore there is lots of competition for housing, schools, open space, trails, etc. That said it's very expensive and lots of people.

SD (north county) is more of the same but less intense. Eg fewer people competing for all the above.
    As far as housing cost, I ask a realtor or do Zillow searches. The areas you named above are all Very Nice and desirable areas with mtb trails nearby. I believe "Bankerboy" , if he reads this, can give you better details.

Schools I don't know much about either areas but I have heard that Poway is The best to get into here in SD area.

Hope this helps.
    Scott.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Both area's are nice. I lived in South OC as a kid and now live in San Diego (I have lived both in San Diego proper and North County). It is really going to come to how close you want to live to the beach and your work and what kind of house you like.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    If you can actually afford to live *IN* the City of Irvine, their schools are top notch. Pretty much everything in Irvine is top notch. They have the best of everything for the most part. *Most* of the surrounding cities to the south (Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, etc...) and west (Corona del Mar, Newport Harbor) also have very good schools as far as I know. As far as San Diego, the high school directly to the North of Sorrento Valley is Torrey Pines which is very highly rated academically and all of their sports teams do well if you care. The Poway school district always gets praise as well.

As far as riding, there's more riding within 20 minutes in OC but the quality in San Diego is better. You just have to drive further to get to it. The trails in San Diego are also less crowded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Lake Forest/Mission Viejo/Aliso Viejo/Rancho Santa Margarita are riding distance to Cleveland National Forest and other trail networks.

The county parks get mobbed on weekends, but it doesn't take a lot of pedaling to get away from the crowd when heading into the forest. Last was a super busy weekend for hikers and motorized traffic around CNF, but once up on the mountain I saw maybe a half dozen riders. It's a large area that disperses riders well and has numerous worthy trails from buffed flow to backcounty roughness.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Well, well, well...looks who's back...and it ain't slimy shady!

Good to see you andyf...stick around, we can use a good "Pontificator" now and then!!!! ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Live in OC and work all over so cal OC to san diego.Depending on where you are in SD the freeway/road systems suck mainly north county and to the east.

banned
    Sep 2010
    If you live in San Diego county, you get to ride the trails with me. Yes, I'm THAT Ray. Just older.
    Otherwise, OC is superior in every way.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    If you live in San Diego county, you get to ride the trails with me. Yes, I'm THAT Ray. Just older.
    I dunno, Ray Viejo....way too many "Conservatives" (aka WASPs) up there in the Orange Curtain. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    Well, well, well...looks who's back...and it ain't slimy shady!

Good to see you andyf...stick around, we can use a good "Pontificator" now and then!!!! ;-)
    Don't recognize the screen name. Are you going to leave it to me to connect the dots?

Edit: Duh...Gotta be Chief.

orthonormal
    There are actually two potential jobs in Sorrento Valley. One in particular is something I'm going to take for sure if offered. If not, I could very well end up in Boulder, CO rather than Irvine or San Diego. Or not. I may actually just stay in Carmel. I like living here, just want to do something different with my career now that the kids are getting older.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of trails in SD if you know where to look. OC is not for me. Too much show with no go. There is plenty of good riding up there but it is less than an hour away. For school Canyom Crest is top 75 in the country Torrey Pines top 125 SDA top 300 and La Costa Canyon top 400 out of 16,000. You get your choice of which school your children attend since they are all in the same district. Tough tv to beat that. Elementary and middle are similar statistics with several blue ribbon schools within a rocks throw from each other.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    Since no one mentioned....San Diego has much more and better.....BEER!
    It wasn't me

dft
    mtbr member
    depends on what type of riding you like.
    i think OC has alot more riding in a smaller area.3 primary areas for good trails in OC
    santa ana mountains(20+ trails >2000 vertical)
    aliso/laguna wilderness (tons of trails, steeps, etc)
    santiago oaks (flowy type of terrain)

i've lived in many parts of SD, there are good riding spots but are spread out and not alot of backcountry/bigger descents like OC.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    There are actually two potential jobs in Sorrento Valley. One in particular is something I'm going to take for sure if offered. If not, I could very well end up in Boulder, CO rather than Irvine or San Diego. Or not. I may actually just stay in Carmel. I like living here, just want to do something different with my career now that the kids are getting older.
    Sorrento Valley puts you within spitting distance of LPQ preserve, which has some medium /low technical trail, and can be hit from your place of work for a quick 1016 mile ride during the week.

you might like it. I was fairly involved in the process of getting the north side trail at LPQ wrenched out of the hands of the vested interest=equestrians. over a decade ago, after they had held it in virtual isolation for themselves for a solid decade.

So now, the north side trail is somewhat of an actual trail to ride, while the southside "trail" is a graded, 20' wide dirt road. Remembering the state of things a decade ago helps me to soften the impact of the more than 15 miles of single track that were obliterated up on the mesa to the north by a combination of Pardee Development, and the CDFW.

Before those two entities got their way, we really DID have a first-class system of XC single track on the N. side of Penasquitos creek. Some of those trails may get re-opened yet, whether is is officially done, or if it's done through sheer budgetary attrition.

orthonormal
    Sorrento Valley puts you within spitting distance of LPQ preserve, which has some medium /low technical trail, and can be hit from your place of work for a quick 1016 mile ride during the week.

you might like it. I was fairly involved in the process of getting the north side trail at LPQ wrenched out of the hands of the vested interest=equestrians. over a decade ago, after they had held it in virtual isolation for themselves for a solid decade.

So now, the north side trail is somewhat of an actual trail to ride, while the southside "trail" is a graded, 20' wide dirt road. Remembering the state of things a decade ago helps me to soften the impact of the more than 15 miles of single track that were obliterated up on the mesa to the north by a combination of Pardee Development, and the CDFW.

Before those two entities got their way, we really DID have a first-class system of XC single track on the N. side of Penasquitos creek. Some of those trails may get re-opened yet, whether is is officially done, or if it's done through sheer budgetary attrition.
    Those 1000+ mile rides are more of a weekend thing for me. 500-700 miles max on weekdays.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Those 1000+ mile rides are more of a weekend thing for me. 500-700 miles max on weekdays.
    You could do that, if you did laps.....

most memberable
    May 2011
    There are good schools in either place. Living in one place (SD) and saying the other place (OC) is too far away is poppycock!

My riding radius is a 200-300 miles...and that's just for local week-end rides.
    Every now and Zen, I ride up in NORCAL...Mr Toads, Flume, Rim, Downieville, Skeggs, Soquel Demo, etc.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Give me SD over OC any day.
    Both are nice but OC has way too much traffic and people. SD is Americas finest city with a small town feel with all the amenities of a big city on the coast. And outer areas close to the mountains and desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "How about Lake Forest/Mission Viejo/Aliso Viejo/Rancho Santa Margarita?"

You will be less than 20 minutes from phenomenal riding. Also, relatively close to Aliso Woods and Laguna Wilderness area... both have great trails too.

Now... depending on your standards housing under $700K will be a real challenge.

banned
    Sep 2012
    OC sucks, don't move there. Horrible trails and as others have stated everyone walks around and preaches their conservative beliefs. You can't go 5 minutes without some conservative "WASP" laying into you. Awful, just awful.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    OC sucks, don't move there. Horrible trails and as others have stated everyone walks around and preaches their conservative beliefs. You can't go 5 minutes without some conservative "WASP" laying into you. Awful, just awful.
    An effort to keep traffic down?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    An effort to keep traffic down?
    Nah, just messing around and being a jackass. So Cal is cool in general, just a lot of "red tape" involved in living here no matter where you are. It's all about who you surround yourself with though. I have lived in OC for all but a few years of my life (4 in Long Beach and 3 in Boston/New Hampshire) and I have had a good run so far. I love San Diego too, definitely not a "my house is better than yours" type of guy myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Nah, just messing around and being a jackass. So Cal is cool in general, just a lot of "red tape" involved in living here no matter where you are. It's all about who you surround yourself with though. I have lived in OC for all but a few years of my life (4 in Long Beach and 3 in Boston/New Hampshire) and I have had a good run so far. I love San Diego too, definitely not a "my house is better than yours" type of guy myself.
    I thought it was like the "surfing sucks, don't try it" sticker/signs.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    I thought it was like the "surfing sucks, don't try it" sticker/signs.
    It kinda was but also poking fun at said stickers. I actually haven't been surfing much lately because the attitudes out in the line-up these days. Plus I like riding my bike more.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Too bad you didn't have an offer in the Greater Los Angeles area. We have the bestest riding in So Cal.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Dammit, Hawg!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I don't know anyone who has been happy moving from SD to OC. OC to SD seems to be the happy choice. .02 They are both nice...SD is just better ")

banned
    Sep 2010
    Andy has a first-class brain. That's how he pulls in the 'big bucks', but it's also the reason that he is not big on ethanol or other CNS intoxicants.
    If he moves here the attraction of more beer will not be a factor in his decision.

But if he does move here, I will definitely tap his high-level brain and introduce him to the current crop of motivated trail access advocates that we have in this town, as we can always use a little more brain-power.
    Especially since we lack the funds the bike-haters have a limitless supply of...

For instance, I'm sure he would have some ideas about how to implement a successful campaign to spotlight the lack of transparency here between the Supervisors and Council and their relations with the big developers that got us into the mess with the MSPA.

As to surfing, the crowds and 'localism;' have totally transformed the surfing experience from a on-with-nature groove to a competition between male primates kind of thing.
    I surfed for decades before mtb riding came along, and I was getting tired of passing out slaps at whatever break I chose to surf at. I think that everybody should be treated as a local, everywhere. Even at Windansea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

San Diego vs. Orange County

As to surfing, the crowds and 'localism;' have totally transformed the surfing experience from a on-with-nature groove to a competition between male primates kind of thing.
    I surfed for decades before mtb riding came along, and I was getting tired of passing out slaps at whatever break I chose to surf at. I think that everybody should be treated as a local, everywhere. Even at Windansea.[/QUOTE]

Born and bread in SD. I gave up surfing for that exact reason Ray Surfing has become a narcissists dick and pony show. Sucks. Hope mtb doesn't do the same. It's a numbers game I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider1 View Post
    I surfed for decades before mtb riding came along, and I was getting tired of passing out slaps at whatever break I chose to surf at. I think that everybody should be treated as a local, everywhere. Even at Windansea.
    Born and bread in SD. I gave up surfing for that exact reason Ray Surfing has become a narcissists dick and pony show. Sucks. Hope mtb doesn't do the same. It's a numbers game I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

One thing we have going for us, ghostrider, is that so far there is very little in the way of anything resembling the surfing entitlement mentality of localism. That's a good thing, but in part localism was driven by the simple fact that there are the same number of waves as there always were, more or less, but an exponential increase in the number of folks who both think they can surf, and think that they can also fight. Not a mutually inclusive set of skills., in fact, far from it.

orthonormal
    Andy has a first-class brain. That's how he pulls in the 'big bucks', but it's also the reason that he is not big on ethanol or other CNS intoxicants.
    If he moves here the attraction of more beer will not be a factor in his decision.

But if he does move here, I will definitely tap his high-level brain and introduce him to the current crop of motivated trail access advocates that we have in this town, as we can always use a little more brain-power.
    Especially since we lack the funds the bike-haters have a limitless supply of...

For instance, I'm sure he would have some ideas about how to implement a successful campaign to spotlight the lack of transparency here between the Supervisors and Council and their relations with the big developers that got us into the mess with the MSPA.

I'm not sure what I did or said that made you think so highly of me, but thanks for the kind words. I like Green Flash and I make wine with my wife and kids (225 liter barrel of 2013 Syrah in the garage) but that's not a factor at all. I haven't done much trail advocacy in the past other than helping with construction but I'd be glad to help where I can if I end up down there.