rosarito to ensenada- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68

    rosarito to ensenada

    Is anyone else going to ride this year?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    47 miles of fun + 3 miles 7.5% grade
    I am doing it on my single speed Dirt jumping frame
    probably take me 4 hours

  3. #3
    SPECIALizED
    Reputation: UPSed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    438
    Was fun 20 years ago. Don't think I'd go south of the border right now.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    370
    Dont lose your head

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    I still feel safe going to mexico for this event
    I cross and drive straight to the start line where the streets are swarmed by bikers
    last year there were 5000 people rideing
    after the finish line party there is a shuttle provided by the event that takes you back to the start line where we promptly get in our car and flee the country
    I basicly am with a 5000 person mob the whole time and the start line is only 15 minutes over the border and you can stay on the toll road the whole way

    I wouldn't go down there for anything else and I wouldn't leave the group I know my way around
    I agree mexico is dangerous but it is a calculated risk

  6. #6
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    The beauty surrounds
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,347
    With all the abundant roads and trails NORTH of the border....... Ole~ have fun! (not me)

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    its not about the roads and trails
    Its about 5000 plus people rideing at once

    if there are so cal events this big please let me know
    I am not the most informed but I dont think there are any events of this size here

  8. #8
    dft
    dft is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,199
    cheers to ya.
    but many like riding with WAY less people around, even solo and in remote mountains. but again, no right/wrong, only preferences.

    have fun at the border crossing!!

  9. #9
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,936
    have fun at the border crossing!!
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by stucktruck
    I still feel safe going to mexico for this event
    I cross and drive straight to the start line where the streets are swarmed by bikers
    last year there were 5000 people rideing
    after the finish line party there is a shuttle provided by the event that takes you back to the start line where we promptly get in our car and flee the country
    I basicly am with a 5000 person mob the whole time and the start line is only 15 minutes over the border and you can stay on the toll road the whole way

    I wouldn't go down there for anything else and I wouldn't leave the group I know my way around
    I agree mexico is dangerous but it is a calculated risk

    Have fun; post some photos. I think you've got a good approach.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    This will be my first time riding it. I am actually going to do it in September. I hear from quite a few people that it is loads of fun and there is always a huge party scene at the end. Mexico is nowhere near as bad as it was a couple years ago. It's pretty calmmed down again.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,126
    Quote Originally Posted by gvidal14
    This will be my first time riding it. I am actually going to do it in September. I hear from quite a few people that it is loads of fun and there is always a huge party scene at the end. Mexico is nowhere near as bad as it was a couple years ago. It's pretty calmed down again.
    Haven't done it myself in a while, but can share some tips.

    If you aren't up front at the start, it will take a while to get rolling. Ride cautiously in crowds. Be wary of people weaving in heavy traffic. You don't want someone knocking you down.

    Enjoy the scenery.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCallahan
    Haven't done it myself in a while, but can share some tips.

    If you aren't up front at the start, it will take a while to get rolling. Ride cautiously in crowds. Be wary of people weaving in heavy traffic. You don't want someone knocking you down.

    Enjoy the scenery.
    Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    cheers to ya.
    but many like riding with WAY less people around, even solo and in remote mountains. but again, no right/wrong, only preferences.

    have fun at the border crossing!!
    I ride alone half the time and with one or two friends half the time

    but there is nothing like a huge group ride with 5000 people

    every biker should try it once

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    914
    are they still doing this? I haven't been in like 10 years but I thought I remember someone telling me they stopped doing the ride.

    I bet the way mexico is right now attendance will be way down.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    ten years ago when my dad did it there were 8000+ people
    last september there were 5000
    attendance is way down but they are still doing it

    If you are really afraid they offer busses from sandiego to the starting line and then from the finish line to sandiego for like 90 bucks

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    112
    I've done this ride a few times these last couple of years and had a blast every time. I'll make the ten hour drive and be there next month if works settles down a bit for me. Here is a video I made a couple of years ago:

    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kn9adddQfYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,739
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSed
    Was fun 20 years ago. Don't think I'd go south of the border right now.
    No kidding, I wouldn't be caught dead down there. Oh, poor choice of words. I wouldn't go down there to save my soul. Oh wait, that's no good either. I'd lose my mind if I had to go down there. Wait, that's no good, I might lose my head. Uumm, ok, you couldn't pay me enough to go down to that crap hole! That works!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    No kidding, I wouldn't be caught dead down there. Oh, poor choice of words. I wouldn't go down there to save my soul. Oh wait, that's no good either. I'd lose my mind if I had to go down there. Wait, that's no good, I might lose my head. Uumm, ok, you couldn't pay me enough to go down to that crap hole! That works!
    If you don't like the idea I understand.
    Mexico is sketchy!

    I am not trying to talk people into makeing bad desicions, I was just wondering If anyone was going to make the same bad desicions as me.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,739
    Quote Originally Posted by stucktruck
    I was just wondering If anyone was going to make the same bad desicions as me.
    I would guess, yes.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    I would guess, yes.
    you are more awesomer than me
    yeah!!!!!!!!!!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    68
    rode the whole hill stopped alot waiting at the tops of the hills for the slowest rider in our group so my time was realy slow 5:13:00
    got a slow flat 6 miles from the end pumped it up and sprinted the last six miles. not sore today just lazy any sleepy
    solo I beleive I could have done it in 4 hours. I had tons of energy left over.
    30-15 was perfect slowed down to 5-8mph on the hill depending on steepness but I cranked the whole thing.
    I didn't get kidnapped or ransomed or raped or robbed or shaken down by the federalies
    just stuck to the plan and had fun
    the border crossing was awesome we ate like 4 bags of fresh churros drank a bunch of ice cold cokes bought some tourist souvineer crap and watched little kids juggling, saw a guy with 1 leg doing hand stands a guy with no arms dancing.
    hell they would have brought us prostitutes to our car as we waited if we wanted but we aren,t down with that.
    the border crossing is truly an awesome specticle.
    anything you want they will bring to you in your car as you wait the 3 hours they put on a great show. it is like a third world circus crossed with a drive in.
    they even sell puppies and kittens. did I mention a churo vender offered to rent his 15 year old daughter to us for an hour or two.
    that country is so so so sketchy
    so dangerous
    so sad
    I hope I live long enough to see the economic gap between the countries lessen
    the mexican people deserve better
    I was born 50 miles further north so I get 100times more priveledge
    thats not right but I am grateful
    I will spend all the money I bring to mexico every time just to add one more drop in the bucket
    poverty and corruption is a sad thing
    too many people who have too much never take the time to realize they live a few miles from poverty they couldn't imagine

    anyway there is another ride in september it will be fun see you then

  23. #23
    CEB
    CEB is offline
    The beauty surrounds
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by stucktruck
    rode the whole hill stopped alot waiting at the tops of the hills for the slowest rider in our group so my time was realy slow 5:13:00....snip.....
    anyway there is another ride in september it will be fun see you then
    Good ride report. Glad you enjoyed the ride. That's what it's all about

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,739
    5:13? That's a snails pace! But, it's not really a race and as long as you had fun, that's all that matters.

    The conditions are sad down there. No one should have to live that way.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9
    If you like riding with 5,000, you should try the RAGBRAI in July. You'll be riding with 20,000 for 7 days.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.