REPORT: CORBA Trail Maint - Valley Forge Trail 1/20- Mtbr.com
    a.k.a. MTBMaven

REPORT: CORBA Trail Maint - Valley Forge Trail 1/20

What a great day. CORBA conducted trail maintenance on the Valley Forge Trail in the Angeles National Forest. We had a good group of 14 people come out to swing some tools and play in the dirt. Not only did we remove tons of Yucca, clear a rock slide, and tidy up the trail we also got in some fun riding as well.

Turns out I didn't take as many photos as I would have liked but I did get a few.

The crew getting a quick lesson on trail maint from Hans.

Me in one of those poses you see when people have just shot some trophy animal. They've got the recently slain beast next to them and their weapon of choice in hand. My beast happened to be a Yucca and my weapon of choice was a Pulaski.

MTB_Prodigy gettin er done. We nearly perfected a new (to me) technique of Yucca removal. We would jab a rock bar (~6' steel bar) deep into the heart of the Yucca and pop out the core of the plant. This was easy sometimes and rather hard others. Once the core was popped out we could use Pulaskis to chop out the rest of the plan. In most cases it made quick work of really big Yucca.

Man what a work site! Sure beats the office any day.

I think this will be my new desktop photo at work

A switchback after some work. We needed to encourage the water to take a path other than on the trail.

Unfortunately there is still a bit more work to be done out there, which we will get to on Feb 2nd for those that want to help out. We removed at least 4 Yucca from this 100' section of trail and there are like 8 more that need to be removed.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It was great productive day out there.... perfect weather, cool but warm enough when working in the sun.

The reward was riding back on 12 miles of mostly single track downhill back to the car... Thanks to El Presidente for the carpool ride up!
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

banned
    Sep 2007
    I remember doing Trail Maintenance with El Pres and Kanga on Lower Ken Burton in October of last year. Most of us hiked in the 3 mile and out from the top of Brown Mountain saddle and ended up playing Itchy and Scratchy for two weeks after it. Plus we had a great meal at a nice Mexican Joint afterwards. We ended up going up there in the fog and clouds, I had no idea where we were until it burned off. Then I recognized it as Arroyo Seco.

Kanga, how does this trail compare to Ken Burton? Any Beta on that?

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    A fun little "feature" we made over a downed tree. Since we didn't have a chain saw we had to make the trail ADA compliant. Now the elderly and wheelchair bound can pass this obstacle.

Of course we had to try it out, BOB trailers and all. I busted a mean table top with my 29er hardtail, but there are no photos so you will have to take my word for it.

How can one embed Google video on MTBR?
    Last edited by mtnfiend; 01-21-2008 at 11:07 PM.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Members who have read this thread: 0