Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Freezer
    Reputation: mlloyd007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    234

    Recruiting for Palm Canyon Epic, Nov. 11!

    I'm planning on doing the Palm Canyon Epic ride on Sunday, Nov. 11, shuttling with Crazy Bear Bikes out of Palm Springs. They need 6 riders to run the shuttle, so I'm recruiting to make sure the ride happens! The shuttle cost is a whopping $28, and you get 13+ miles of singletrack and over 5,000' of vertical. If you're interested, the website to sign up is:

    https://www.crazybearbikes.com/event...c-9-6-2-3-3-2/

    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

  2. #2
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,359
    Meh, find a few friends and self shuttle.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

    Ebikes are not bicycles

  3. #3
    Freezer
    Reputation: mlloyd007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Meh, find a few friends and self shuttle.
    Right on. I'm on vacation with the family in PS, so not an option for me.
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,329
    Was 25 this summer. They mustve raised their prices. Still a decent deal.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    254
    If you dont want to self shuttle and the Crazy Bear shuttle does not fill up - we have called for a taxi mini van to meet us at the bottom - stuffed the bikes in the back and had them take us up to the drop off up top. Worked out pretty well if there is only a couple of riders.

  6. #6
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,359
    Does Crazybear contribute anything back to the trails that he services?
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

    Ebikes are not bicycles

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,855
    I've been told they trim back catclaw and other brush early in the season. At the start of last season someone cut out a cholla cactus lower down that created a chicane in the trail. I always remembered that spot and was pissed off that someone would cut it out just so that riders could straightline that section of trail. My suspicion is the guy from Crazy Bear that did it. Not the kind of thing you could cut out by hand, that cactus was pretty big.

    It would be nice if they helped fix up some tread from all the extra riders they are sending down the trail. It's turning into a blown out mess in places now rather than the cool backcountry ride it used to be. I'd be perfectly happy if a lot of these shuttle companies would disappear.

  8. #8
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,359
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

    It would be nice if they helped fix up some tread from all the extra riders they are sending down the trail. It's turning into a blown out mess in places now rather than the cool backcountry ride it used to be. I'd be perfectly happy if a lot of these shuttle companies would disappear.
    This is why I ask. Brushing isnít the problem.

    And I agree....they just need to go away.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

    Ebikes are not bicycles

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    And I agree....they just need to go away.
    That would put plenty of people out of work and take a ton of money out of Moab's general fund if shuttle companies went away for The Whole Enchilada. Shuttle companies are providing a service. If & when enough people agree with your argument, they won't use the shuttles and they will go away. Then people will self shuttle in multiple cars like my group does, burning 3 times the gas and spewing 3 times the exhaust into the atmosphere (actually even more than that because we have to go back up to get the cars left at the top). I guess I can just buy carbon credits like Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio and be excused from being a terrible person though.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,855
    Trails would be in better shape though because a lot of people are too lazy to self shuttle. Shuttles seem to invite a lot more riders who are either clueless when it comes to trail etiquette or who have mediocre skills (or both).

    I've been riding Palm Canyon for a lot of years now. It is a completely different crowd that shows up on the shuttles than who used to self shuttle it. Sure, if the shuttles went away some of their customers would self-shuttle it too but it would still be fewer people overall, and fewer clueless morons on the trail.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    36
    MAN! Wish it weren't such a short notice. I REALLY want to do this soon. Actually, I AM going to do this soon; after the next rain, hopefully.

  12. #12
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,359
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    That would put plenty of people out of work and take a ton of money out of Moab's general fund if shuttle companies went away for The Whole Enchilada. Shuttle companies are providing a service. If & when enough people agree with your argument, they won't use the shuttles and they will go away. Then people will self shuttle in multiple cars like my group does, burning 3 times the gas and spewing 3 times the exhaust into the atmosphere (actually even more than that because we have to go back up to get the cars left at the top). I guess I can just buy carbon credits like Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio and be excused from being a terrible person though.


    The trails in Moab are nothing like the trails in So. Cal. The attitude in Moab is nothing like the attitude in So. Cal.

    Since we are in the So. Cal board.....we are talking about.....wait for it.....So. Cal.

    Utah has a much better attitude towards mtn bikers....a much better sense of trail community and trail stewardship. We are lucky that the places in So. Cal. even let us still ride them.

    Think about how nicer the Mt Wilson trails would be if there was not a bunch of guys paying to shuttle them. Palm Canyon is the same way. Been riding out there since 2009, and it was much nicer back then.

    The fact that he offers shuttles for Monroe Truck Trail still baffles my mind.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

    Ebikes are not bicycles

  13. #13
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,359
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Trails would be in better shape though because a lot of people are too lazy to self shuttle. Shuttles seem to invite a lot more riders who are either clueless when it comes to trail etiquette or who have mediocre skills (or both).

    I've been riding Palm Canyon for a lot of years now. It is a completely different crowd that shows up on the shuttles than who used to self shuttle it. Sure, if the shuttles went away some of their customers would self-shuttle it too but it would still be fewer people overall, and fewer clueless morons on the trail.

    Exactly
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

    Ebikes are not bicycles

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    The trails in Moab are nothing like the trails in So. Cal. The attitude in Moab is nothing like the attitude in So. Cal.

    Since we are in the So. Cal board.....we are talking about.....wait for it.....So. Cal.

    Utah has a much better attitude towards mtn bikers....a much better sense of trail community and trail stewardship. We are lucky that the places in So. Cal. even let us still ride them.

    Think about how nicer the Mt Wilson trails would be if there was not a bunch of guys paying to shuttle them. Palm Canyon is the same way. Been riding out there since 2009, and it was much nicer back then.

    The fact that he offers shuttles for Monroe Truck Trail still baffles my mind.
    evdog originally said....I'd be perfectly happy if a lot of these shuttle companies would disappear.

    you responded....And I agree....they just need to go away.

    No mention was made about specific areas or specific shuttle companies but if it fits your argument, feel free to throw that part out there. Shuttle companies are shuttle companies no matter where they are and "people too lazy to shuttle themselves" after the same in every state. In any case, it's just another case where we'll agree to disagree.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,329
    I enjoy the service they provide. The few times I've used them, the ppl in the van were nice.

    If they didnt offer the service I'd self shuttle but much prefer paying for a shuttle to save some time and logistics.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Trails would be in better shape though because a lot of people are too lazy to self shuttle. Shuttles seem to invite a lot more riders who are either clueless when it comes to trail etiquette or who have mediocre skills (or both).

    I've been riding Palm Canyon for a lot of years now. It is a completely different crowd that shows up on the shuttles than who used to self shuttle it. Sure, if the shuttles went away some of their customers would self-shuttle it too but it would still be fewer people overall, and fewer clueless morons on the trail.
    Fair enough and I agree with some of your conclusions though I don't feel the trail itself has deteriorated so much that it makes a difference. As a matter of fact, I think the sand wash gets better and better each trip thankfully. I did notice and lament the loss of that chicane on our last trip as well.

    Our group has always self shuttled and the last few years, our wives have taken us up in the morning so that we don't have to go back up later for the vehicles. However, our next trip started out as a group of 10 going up with Crazy Bear (because the wives are tired of the job) that ballooned to 22 when one friend told another who told another. You get the idea. Luckily, the Palm Springs "host" is okay with all of this since we're all going back to his house for a BBQ.

    I have no intention of riding in a group of 22 people and have already informed everybody that we're splitting up in at least (3) separate groups and maybe more if necessary due to trail speed. I don't want the fastest guys worrying about the slowest guys because this will be the first big ride for the Cardiac Kid from our group and he'll be "in the rear with the gear" and a chaperone or two. I can't speak for the group in the 2nd van as I only know one of them (and he's FASSSST) but most of them are Laguna/Newport riders so I expect them to be responsible riders. My standard group has all ridden PC numerous times and nobody will be breaking any Strava times.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Trails would be in better shape though because a lot of people are too lazy to self shuttle. Shuttles seem to invite a lot more riders who are either clueless when it comes to trail etiquette or who have mediocre skills (or both).

    I've been riding Palm Canyon for a lot of years now. It is a completely different crowd that shows up on the shuttles than who used to self shuttle it. Sure, if the shuttles went away some of their customers would self-shuttle it too but it would still be fewer people overall, and fewer clueless morons on the trail.
    I can't believe what Palm Canyon has become. I've been riding it since the early 90's. It's Kookville. I complain on every one of these threads because our pristine trails are completely disrespected. Most of the shuttle riders look like they are suiting up for a combat sport. Go ride a motocross bike if you can't stay on a trail and you have to make up for your lack of skills with massive amounts of protection. I saw a guy this week wearing some sort of huge Batman vest for protection. What's next, inflatable sumo suits?

  18. #18
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,050
    Seems like a pretty sketchy place to drop in a bunch of noobs; not so much for the terrain, but for lack of preparedness on a long, remote ride with a lot more climbing than advertised. On top of that, the last thing they need is a bunch of hot, heavy rampage gear.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

  19. #19
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,365
    Last couple times I went I was on an XC bike with rigid post. While my Enduro is more fun...you definitely don't need to dress like you are doing a DH race.

  20. #20
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Last couple times I went I was on an XC bike with rigid post.
    Yep, that's all I've ever used. And the only extra gear was soccer shin guards to fend off the trail-side cactus.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

Similar Threads

  1. Palm Canyon Epic, Palm Springs, California
    By Wherewolf in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 05-13-2017, 07:17 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 04:46 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2014, 05:35 PM
  4. GoPro Epic Palm Canyon, Palm Springs CA 01-07-12
    By NIGHTHAWKDC5 in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
  5. Palm Canyon Epic (Feb 21-25) Anyone?
    By mikegee in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Members who have read this thread: 91

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.