rainy season riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

rainy season riding

Grew up down south and live in the bay now. As I imagine most places do- we have our, "rideable in a storm" spots, "rideable a day after," "rideable two days after" etc.

I have to come to the inland empire for a family emergency, and will be around through the weekend. I'm not one to destroy a trail that shouldn't be ridden wet. I'm wondering if there are a few spots anyone can recommend that hold up the day of, and soon after a rain within 45 mins of Laverne/Claremont/Upland area.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Bikesexual
    Bonelli is probably your best bet.

You will find a few muddy spots, and if you go behind the trailer park, it might be tough to cross the creek.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thank you. grew up riding the foothills behind claremont, but used to take winters off at that age so don't know how it'd hold up. plus i think i remember that soil having a lot of clay. don't feel like destroying trails and cleaning peanut butter out of my stanchions and stays.

appreciate it.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    thank you. grew up riding the foothills behind claremont, but used to take winters off at that age so don't know how it'd hold up. plus i think i remember that soil having a lot of clay. don't feel like destroying trails and cleaning peanut butter out of my stanchions and stays.

appreciate it.
    No problem, yeah Marshalls maybe a mess! Lots of water crossings. Never ridden during rain there. You can get a good work out at Bonelli. I've seen a guy here do 20+miles.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Rides all the bikes!
    Sycamore in Riverside usually holds up well. But, we are supposed to get a ton of rain, so who knows. I might be out there tomorrow night if weather holds up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I feel your pain and angst, really I do, but please get yourself a road bike for times like these. The trails are so saturated I can't imagine there would be anything reasonably rideable within one week of rain at this point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorVoter View Post
    I feel your pain and angst, really I do, but please get yourself a road bike for times like these.
    NEVER! 😀
    I hear you but I don't subscribe to the opinion that because it rains, there are no trails that are rideable without damage. There may be no trails to some people's knowledge, our maybe in a general area, but after living in Humboldt for 5 years and the bay for about twenty, and riding both places in every season, there's always been spots that riders flock to strictly because it's raining and no place else holds up. Can't say locals always want to share that knowledge, but it's worth a shot asking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    NEVER! 😀
    I hear you but I don't subscribe to the opinion that because it rains, there are no trails that are rideable without damage. There may be no trails to some people's knowledge, our maybe in a general area, but after living in Humboldt for 5 years and the bay for about twenty, and riding both places in every season, there's always been spots that riders flock to strictly because it's raining and no place else holds up. Can't say locals always want to share that knowledge, but it's worth a shot asking.
    Okay fine. I've been riding since '91 and yes there are a few fireroads here and there can be ridden after the rains, but really I learned a long time ago that some time on pavement after rains is quite nice and I avoid being the dick that leaves concreted ruts in singletracks that last through August.

Life Is Short
    Okay fine. I've been riding since '91 and yes there are a few fireroads here and there can be ridden after the rains, but really I learned a long time ago that some time on pavement after rains is quite nice and I avoid being the dick that leaves concreted ruts in singletracks that last through August.
    I agree
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Marshall Canyon/ Claremont wilderness does pretty good after rain, but as someone mentioned, the creek crossings will probably be raging. GMR is another place that holds up well under rain.
    Bonelli is a horrible place after the rain, the clay will stick to your bike making it un rideable.
    The best advice is to stay off of the trails for a few days after a rain event.
    EXODUX Jeff

IPA tester
    Trail work time
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Okay fine... and I avoid being the dick that leaves concreted ruts in singletracks that last through August.
    ... See you're misunderstanding me, or you're one of those riders who is unaware of the trails I'm talking about, regardless of the fact that we've been riding for the same amount of time. Concrete ruts are left in soil with a significant clay content. Those are not the trails I'm asking about, nor would I ride them. I've hand built miles of trail myself so I respect trails and the work of other builders. Granted, there is a contingent of riders who adamantly stick to the opinion that everyone who rides after rain is a "dick," and it's pointless trying to alter the view of someone unwilling to recognize proof to the contrary.

.. But if you ever come to the Bay in the rainy season, check out Rockville in Fairfield.
    Sincerely,
    "Dick"

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Marshall Canyon/ Claremont wilderness does pretty good after rain, but as someone mentioned, the creek crossings will probably be raging. GMR is another place that holds up well under rain.
    Bonelli is a horrible place after the rain, the clay will stick to your bike making it un rideable.
    The best advice is to stay off of the trails for a few days after a rain event.
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Trail work time
    I hear you. Been building since December. Love it.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I feel your pain and angst, really I do, but please bring your shovel and elbow grease to the trails for times like these. The trails are ripe for work to be done and this is the best time to do that.
    Fixed that for you..... ;-)
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines