rainy season riding- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233

    rainy season riding

    Grew up down south and live in the bay now. As I imagine most places do- we have our, "rideable in a storm" spots, "rideable a day after," "rideable two days after" etc.

    I have to come to the inland empire for a family emergency, and will be around through the weekend. I'm not one to destroy a trail that shouldn't be ridden wet. I'm wondering if there are a few spots anyone can recommend that hold up the day of, and soon after a rain within 45 mins of Laverne/Claremont/Upland area.

    Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

  2. #2
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,568
    Bonelli is probably your best bet.

    You will find a few muddy spots, and if you go behind the trailer park, it might be tough to cross the creek.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233
    thank you. grew up riding the foothills behind claremont, but used to take winters off at that age so don't know how it'd hold up. plus i think i remember that soil having a lot of clay. don't feel like destroying trails and cleaning peanut butter out of my stanchions and stays.

    appreciate it.

  4. #4
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    thank you. grew up riding the foothills behind claremont, but used to take winters off at that age so don't know how it'd hold up. plus i think i remember that soil having a lot of clay. don't feel like destroying trails and cleaning peanut butter out of my stanchions and stays.

    appreciate it.
    No problem, yeah Marshalls maybe a mess! Lots of water crossings. Never ridden during rain there. You can get a good work out at Bonelli. I've seen a guy here do 20+miles.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

  5. #5
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,540
    Sycamore in Riverside usually holds up well. But, we are supposed to get a ton of rain, so who knows. I might be out there tomorrow night if weather holds up.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233
    thanks!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    45
    I feel your pain and angst, really I do, but please get yourself a road bike for times like these. The trails are so saturated I can't imagine there would be anything reasonably rideable within one week of rain at this point.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorVoter View Post
    I feel your pain and angst, really I do, but please get yourself a road bike for times like these.
    NEVER! 😀
    I hear you but I don't subscribe to the opinion that because it rains, there are no trails that are rideable without damage. There may be no trails to some people's knowledge, our maybe in a general area, but after living in Humboldt for 5 years and the bay for about twenty, and riding both places in every season, there's always been spots that riders flock to strictly because it's raining and no place else holds up. Can't say locals always want to share that knowledge, but it's worth a shot asking.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    NEVER! 😀
    I hear you but I don't subscribe to the opinion that because it rains, there are no trails that are rideable without damage. There may be no trails to some people's knowledge, our maybe in a general area, but after living in Humboldt for 5 years and the bay for about twenty, and riding both places in every season, there's always been spots that riders flock to strictly because it's raining and no place else holds up. Can't say locals always want to share that knowledge, but it's worth a shot asking.
    Okay fine. I've been riding since '91 and yes there are a few fireroads here and there can be ridden after the rains, but really I learned a long time ago that some time on pavement after rains is quite nice and I avoid being the dick that leaves concreted ruts in singletracks that last through August.

  10. #10
    Life Is Short
    Reputation: fatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorVoter View Post
    Okay fine. I've been riding since '91 and yes there are a few fireroads here and there can be ridden after the rains, but really I learned a long time ago that some time on pavement after rains is quite nice and I avoid being the dick that leaves concreted ruts in singletracks that last through August.
    I agree
    Cheap people buy things twice

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hurricane Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,559
    Marshall Canyon/ Claremont wilderness does pretty good after rain, but as someone mentioned, the creek crossings will probably be raging. GMR is another place that holds up well under rain.
    Bonelli is a horrible place after the rain, the clay will stick to your bike making it un rideable.
    The best advice is to stay off of the trails for a few days after a rain event.
    EXODUX Jeff

  12. #12
    IPA tester
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,199
    Trail work time
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

    -Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorVoter View Post
    Okay fine... and I avoid being the dick that leaves concreted ruts in singletracks that last through August.
    ... See you're misunderstanding me, or you're one of those riders who is unaware of the trails I'm talking about, regardless of the fact that we've been riding for the same amount of time. Concrete ruts are left in soil with a significant clay content. Those are not the trails I'm asking about, nor would I ride them. I've hand built miles of trail myself so I respect trails and the work of other builders. Granted, there is a contingent of riders who adamantly stick to the opinion that everyone who rides after rain is a "dick," and it's pointless trying to alter the view of someone unwilling to recognize proof to the contrary.

    .. But if you ever come to the Bay in the rainy season, check out Rockville in Fairfield.
    Sincerely,
    "Dick"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Marshall Canyon/ Claremont wilderness does pretty good after rain, but as someone mentioned, the creek crossings will probably be raging. GMR is another place that holds up well under rain.
    Bonelli is a horrible place after the rain, the clay will stick to your bike making it un rideable.
    The best advice is to stay off of the trails for a few days after a rain event.
    Thank you.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Trail work time
    I hear you. Been building since December. Love it.

  16. #16
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,137
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorVoter View Post
    I feel your pain and angst, really I do, but please bring your shovel and elbow grease to the trails for times like these. The trails are ripe for work to be done and this is the best time to do that.
    Fixed that for you..... ;-)
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Similar Threads

  1. Riding shorts for rainy season on the westcoast.
    By Christopher Robin in forum Western Canada
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2017, 07:45 PM
  2. Change in tire set up with rainy season.
    By leafy in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM
  3. heading into rainy season and need advice!
    By santa cruzer73 in forum Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 08:44 PM
  4. heading into rainy season and need advice!
    By santa cruzer73 in forum Commuting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2015, 04:41 AM
  5. Ridgeline closed for the rainy season
    By blunderbuss in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.