Pro Bike Newport Beach WTF- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Pro Bike Newport Beach WTF

I don't like to bash bike shops but.... Been thinking its time to get a new bike. I'm going to get a Mojo 3 (I've already demoed one) so I thought I'd give these guys a shot, they've posted here, they are an Ibis dealer... I walk in, small shop, bike mechanic working talking to a young guy who may also work there. Nobody else in the shop. Ten minutes or so nothing, walk up to counter where's he's working, finally asks If he can help me ...tell him I've been riding mountain bikes for long time it's time for a new bike..... Crickets.... Doesn't ask what I was looking for, nothing... Maybe he doesn't think or know I have 6K+ or I'm not cool enough, didn't like my shoes, don't know, maybe it's his time of the month ... Don't really know... Very weird...after couple minutes I just walked out.... Laguna Cyclery carries them...been using The Path for years, never experience that in bike shop before. I like to support my local shops. Wasn't going post this but....
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Sounds like they suck at the only thing that might keep their doors open.

Perhaps not related but... I love getting big leagued by some shop turd only to see them later out in the dirt proving their skills don't match the attitude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    This is my experience with half the bike shops I walk into. I think its the "I only get paid min wage to be here" attitude that we get to deal with at many places. If only people who care about bikes and the customers actually worked at these places. Maybe the owners should hire better employees or their shops will soon be put out of business by other shops and the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I was a shop rat for like 10 years of high school, college and grad school ... and only left because I got a PhD and had to join the real world. And I still want to go back to working in a shop ... but that's another story. Anyhow, I feel obligated to support my LBS after having worked in one for so long, but it is just damn hard sometimes.

I had a certain part of my bike "fixed" at my LBS last week, my bike was out of commission for a week, they charged me a small pile of money, and the issue was absolutely not resolved when I got it back. So I just mail ordered the right parts and will do it myself. Sigh. Come on guys.

Rant off.

OK, not quite... I was definitely a "big league-er" ;-) I think I at least had the modicum of sense needed to treat the big, repeat customers well though - even if they sucked compared to me. Man, that's embarrassing to think back about how we all acted like we were so hot. This thing is anonymous, right?!?! :-)

MTBR member-at-large
    I just order the Ibis Mojo 3 (LOVE IT!). There's no Ibis dealers near me (central Calif.), so on some advice from PinkBike I contact Aaron at the Hub Bicycles in Jackson Hole WY. Arron is the MAN! He built me a semi-custom bike, was super cool to deal with, and between the killer deal he gave me and not having to pay tax I ended up saving over $1,000. Plus, I felt good that my money went to a local bike shop that cares about its customers.

Give Aaron a call at (307) 200-6144 thehubbikes.com
    Better at pedaling than typing

Bannėd
    Been going to Pro Bike Supply for 3 years now and never had that happen. They have stayed open late to finish a build for me, lent me wheels while mine were being worked on, lent me a seatpost while my dropper was in for service, let me try out stems and seats before I buy, and I am usually greeted with a handshake. Must be a new guy cuz my experiences haven't been like the OP's but I am not saying it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by movingmountain View Post
    I don't like to bash bike shops but.... Been thinking its time to get a new bike. I'm going to get a Mojo 3 (I've already demoed one) so I thought I'd give these guys a shot, they've posted here, they are an Ibis dealer... I walk in, small shop, bike mechanic working talking to a young guy who may also work there. Nobody else in the shop. Ten minutes or so nothing, walk up to counter where's he's working, finally asks If he can help me ...tell him I've been riding mountain bikes for long time it's time for a new bike..... Crickets.... Doesn't ask what I was looking for, nothing... Maybe he doesn't think or know I have 6K+ or I'm not cool enough, didn't like my shoes, don't know, maybe it's his time of the month ... Don't really know... Very weird...after couple minutes I just walked out.... Laguna Cyclery carries them...been using The Path for years, never experience that in bike shop before. I like to support my local shops. Wasn't going post this but....
    I have had the same experience at Pro Bike, Newport Beach. Was going to buy an Ibis, but their CS sucks. For LBS in our area I use The Path and Bike Co. Bike Co is in Lake Forest and they are an Ibis dealer. Ask for Kara.

banned
    Jul 2015
    Just because the OP had a bad experience and didn't hear what he wanted to hear from the guy working there, it doesn't mean it's a bad bike shop that doesn't care about it's customers. I purchased a Yeti at Pro Bike Supply this past December and I have nothing but great things to say about the owner and all the staff working there. They are very accommodating and treat your bike likes it's their own. Mark the owner is also willing to work with you and he will give you a fair deal that will compete with any out of state or LBS. They will also swap parts on your build and install whatever you want on your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornPatch View Post
    I just order the Ibis Mojo 3 (LOVE IT!). There's no Ibis dealers near me (central Calif.), so on some advice from PinkBike I contact Aaron at the Hub Bicycles in Jackson Hole WY. Arron is the MAN! He built me a semi-custom bike, was super cool to deal with, and between the killer deal he gave me and not having to pay tax I ended up saving over $1,000. Plus, I felt good that my money went to a local bike shop that cares about its customers.

Give Aaron a call at (307) 200-6144 thehubbikes.com
    Unless you live in Jackson Hole, WY they are not a LBS........just saying

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Just because the OP had a bad experience and didn't hear what he wanted to hear from the guy working there, it doesn't mean it's a bad bike shop that doesn't care about it's customers. I purchased a Yeti at Pro Bike Supply this past December and I have nothing but great things to say about the owner and all the staff working there. They are very accommodating and treat your bike likes it's their own. Mark the owner is also willing to work with you and he will give you a fair deal that will compete with any out of state or LBS. They will also swap parts on your build and install whatever you want on your new bike.
    I bought an X2 shock from them a couple months ago.
    I had them install it just in case something was wrong with it so I wouldn't get blamed(it's happened before). When I got the bike home I noticed hydraulic fluid all over the bottom bracket area, then saw the compression adjuster recess filled with oil.
    I called and brought the bike/shock back to them the next day.
    They immediately called Fox who told them it would have to be sent back to be repaired, as they didn't have any others in stock. I had a race that next weekend, so the manager or owner offered to sell me a DHX2 for HALF OFF in order to solve my problem. I elected to just wait for the X2 to return, but my point is that in my only experience with them I found them completely accommodating.
    Thinking back on the people that work there, I would say it's possible some of them may have a laid-back/mellow attitude.
    Some people are wound tighter than others, and I could see someone with tighter windings rolling in there at full throttle, possibly expecting everyone to drop what they're doing and help them mucho prontito, then getting frustrated when the employee 'helping' them doesn't rev up to their level.
    The OP is probably better off going somewhere else that operates at his tempo, and IIRC those guys don't stock a whole lot of IBIS bikes anyway, so they would've had to order one in, which after reading the OP's initial post I get the impression he wouldn't have been happy with anyway.
    I believe Jenson stocks IBIS bikes, and they're just up in Corona prolly about a half-hour from Pro Bike Supply

mtbr member
    A simple acknowledgement as soon as a customer walks in should be considered a common courtesy (assuming shop employee isn't already helping another customer). Given that the OP tried to open dialog and got no feedback, it sure seems like the shop guy was being a d!ck or lacks the social skills to effectively interact with customers.

Having held various roles in shops ranging from mega chain to hole-in-the-wall, the only time I could see blowing off a customer like that would be known tire kicker or a sketchy looking troll.
    Last edited by EatsDirt; 06-16-2016 at 06:45 PM.

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    A simple acknowledgement as soon as a customer walks in should be considered a common courtesy (assuming shop employee isn't already helping another customer). Given that the OP tried to open dialog and got no feedback, it sure seems like the shop guy was being a d!ck or lacks the social skills to effectively interact with customers.

Having held various rolls in shops ranging from mega chain to hole-in-the-wall, the only time I could see blowing off a customer like that would be known tire kicker or a sketchy looking troll.
    Well, some customers who walk into a shop, like me prefer not to be smothered and may want to look around first. If I have a specific question or need, then I will speak up and engage the conversation like an adult. I guess some people expect the employee to act like a robot and engage in the typical "how may I help you" likes it's a furniture store. Walk in, open your mouth and say what's up and tell the guy what you want. It's pretty simple etiquette to me. This is a small shop where all the guys ride together and probably hang out after work for a beer or two. We all make mistakes and rub people the wrong way at times, telling someone what they don't want to hear and so on. I guess the OP will go somewhere else or maybe to his LBS in Maine like that one joker suggested.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how you equate a "simple acknowledgment" with being smothered, robot, etc...

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I'm not sure how you equate a "simple acknowledgment" with being smothered, robot, etc...
    I wouldn't think you would understand considering your statement in your #2 post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    I wouldn't think you would understand considering your statement in your #2 post.
    I understand the need for, and actually require low/no pressure sales for any retail shopping, if that's the point you're attempting to make. If you're talking about the shop turds comment, it needs no further elaborating.

But... they ride together and hang out after work having a beer so they must be rad dudes!

Life Is Short
    Being a Mexican I get ignored at any shop including Performance or the Rolex store at the Westgate (except when they think I'm going to steal something) but this seems more like WPP.
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    As was stated before just go to Bikeco and speak with Kara. I have dealt with a lot of different shops in my time and actually ran several different shops in college. Bikeco's service is absolutely outstanding and they will get you dialed in with whatever you want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
    possibly expecting everyone to drop what they're doing and help them mucho prontito,
    Yeah....like a place that makes money off of selling bikes/services or something....

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Yeah....like a place that makes money off of selling bikes/services or something....
    You're right, with online competition eating up sales from the brick & mortars, that attitude from the 1990's is unacceptable. You have to be aggressive and bend over backwards to keep the lights on. On another note, its hard to find a good paying job when you're a Mexican
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Well, the flipside is we as ADULTS need to realize that sometimes we AREN'T the only customers in the store, and the shop may not have the budget to hire enough people(nor do I imagine, most of us would want to pay higher prices to pay for said employees) to be able to immediately cover every customer that walks in the door, so sometimes we might have to wait a couple minutes.
    Jeezes CrIsto, you people act as though you've never had to wait for someone to help you before.
    Try going to CVS, or any other store for that matter.
    You'll learn how some stores can have more employees than customers, yet still manage to form a 10-person line.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sad that kids these days barely know how to greet someone unless it's via text or whatever social media they're on, or have some kind of I'm a better rider than you because I work here attitude. Too bad you had that experience there. Sounds like you just came across the wrong person at the wrong time.

I have bought (too) many bikes from shops all over SoCal, Idaho, and Wyoming and dealing with Mark at Pro Bike Supply has by far been my best bike experience I've ever had. Mark the owner is very layed back and has loaned me ENVE wheels to try out and let me keep them for a traveling bike trip I made while they built up some NOX wheels, swapped seat posts, seats, stems, handle bars, etc etc. until I was happy with the bike. Mark and his shop are unlike any other shop I have come across.

Mark really is a great guy and I'm sure he would take good care of you customer service wise and price wise if you were to give him another chance, but I would recommend you call and ask for him direct and let him know you would like to deal with him. He may even want to know if he has a problem employee working for him.

I'm sure the other shop recommendations will work out for you too, good luck with whatever you decide.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    My policy is...
    Vote with you feet. If you're happy, go back. If you're unhappy, go somewhere else.
    It's that simple! Posting on a board like the OP did, helped no one.
    Have a nice day
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Go back to The Path. They've always treated me well. I enjoy trying new shops here and there but the loyalty you develop by continual support of a single local bike shop is hands down one of the best things you can do. Make new friends, go on shop rides, buy from them with consistency. It'll all pay off over time in a number of ways. We all want the same treatment every time we visit a shop but let's be honest, loyal customers (friends) always get treated better. YMMV

Jordan

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
    Well, the flipside is we as ADULTS need to realize that sometimes we AREN'T the only customers in the store, and the shop may not have the budget to hire enough people(nor do I imagine, most of us would want to pay higher prices to pay for said employees) to be able to immediately cover every customer that walks in the door, so sometimes we might have to wait a couple minutes.
    Jeezes CrIsto, you people act as though you've never had to wait for someone to help you before.
    Try going to CVS, or any other store for that matter.
    You'll learn how some stores can have more employees than customers, yet still manage to form a 10-person line.
    Good point. Some people won't be satisfied no matter what a store does. It is a little like dating: Finding the perfect match between personalities: one personality being the store, one being the customer. It just might not be a match...

banned
    Jul 2015
    OP forgot to mention that if you want to demo a Ibis, all Yeti models and maybe a Pivot, Pro Bike Supply won't charge you 65-75 for a same day Demo like Path will charge.

mtbr member
    This is a bike shop, not a life partner or a CVS.

WTF.