Palm Canyon Epic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Palm Canyon Epic

Anybody ride this lately? What are the trail conditions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hit up Crazy Bear. He's out there every weekend.

https://www.crazybearbikes.com/events/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rode it yesterday, Jan. 1st. We had snow at the top for the first half mile, then very nice dirt for pretty much the rest of the ride. The washes were all packed down and great to ride on.
    Yesterday it was cold and windy, probably 30 degrees at the start and mid fifties and the end.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Rode it yesterday, Jan. 1st. We had snow at the top for the first half mile, then very nice dirt for pretty much the rest of the ride. The washes were all packed down and great to ride on.
    Yesterday it was cold and windy, probably 30 degrees at the start and mid fifties and the end.
    Jeff what was your set up? Did you use the RFX? What tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I did ride the RFX. Used a WTB Trail Boss 2.4 in the rear( which was almost flat this morning) and a Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 in the front. The tire combo worked perfect for the ride.
    EXODUX Jeff

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Jeff what was your set up? Did you use the RFX? What tires?

My last 5-6 trips down have been on the SS. It's rough, but not that rough.
    Bicycles dont have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

Robertson
    Bumping this thread with this season's conditions. Rode PCE today and it was in amazing shape, hero dirt for sure. The new work up top with all the jumps and drops is very impressive! Get it while you can

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Should be better now that it has rained. We rode it in November but it was too soon. It got pretty hot and the reroutes for the washed out sections aren't very well established so it took a lot longer than usual. It was pretty overgrown so we all looked like we'd been in a cat fight, I wore sleeves but the legs got scratched up bad. Make sure you use a lot of sealant, there were cholla thorns all over the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you guys go down Art Smith or Hahn? I've only gone down Hahn and back up the ridge to Vons via the goat trails (about 28mi and 2500ft). Is Art Smith any good (downhill from tractor)? How much shorter is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Do you guys go down Art Smith or Hahn? I've only gone down Hahn and back up the ridge to Vons via the goat trails (about 28mi and 2500ft). Is Art Smith any good (downhill from tractor)? How much shorter is it?
    We just rode the standard route on Saturday the 7th. Best conditions I've ever seen out there with moisture in the dirt the entire ride. Made the climbs MUCH easier. We've went down Art Smith in the past. It starts out going *down* and is pretty flow but then you come to steady single track climb that was 80% rideable for our group. I don't remember the middle section but the ending was a tight, twisty blast similar to the stuff at the very bottom of the goat trails. The problem, if you don't park at the Art Smith TH, is it's a lonnnng 13 mile road ride back to Vons.

Another route down from the tractors is the Art Johnson trail that we were just told about on Saturday. It is apparently ALL downhill fro 6 miles to Cathedral City. We are going to take it next time. https://www.trailforks.com/trails/art-johnson/
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Glad to hear the trail is in better shape now. Art Johnson sounds cool, although it says in the description " not a good ending for the PCE" haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Glad to hear the trail is in better shape now. Art Johnson sounds cool, although it says in the description " not a good ending for the PCE" haha
    Well, one guy also says it's the best trail out there and the other guys commenting obviously can't ride. I can tell you that guy that told us about it the other day was going down solo and he was no stellar/pro level rider.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Up top it reminds me of Art Smith, minus all the climbing. Then it drops steeply down exposed switchbacks. Think the Wildhorse switchbacks but steeper, loose and rutted. Fun, but more than a lot of people can handle. The main reason I don't like it is you lose a ton of elevation on pavement at the end of the ride. If you still want your money's worth ride Hahn then climb back up Dunn Rd and then drop AJ. I still think the best route is Wildhorse-Goat Trails exit.

Robertson
    I prefer Hahn-->wildhorse-->monkey bumps DH

Rides all the bikes!
    I prefer the Hahn, Wildhorse to Goat Trails exit (Monkey Bumps being my preferred way as well, but very double black).

Art Johnson is fun, but feels like a huge waste at the end riding all that wash section downhill to the road. Lots of steep tech stuff until the end. I'd rather drop AJ, then climb back up Dunn and exit Wildhorse or something.

Art Smith is a great exit, rode it yesterday for the first time. It is a lot of work, not a steady downhill. Lots of HAB unless you are very skilled. I would definitely recommend doing it at least once if you plan repeat trips.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I prefer the Hahn, Wildhorse to Goat Trails exit (Monkey Bumps being my preferred way as well, but very double black).

Art Johnson is fun, but feels like a huge waste at the end riding all that wash section downhill to the road. Lots of steep tech stuff until the end. I'd rather drop AJ, then climb back up Dunn and exit Wildhorse or something.

Art Smith is a great exit, rode it yesterday for the first time. It is a lot of work, not a steady downhill. Lots of HAB unless you are very skilled. I would definitely recommend doing it at least once if you plan repeat trips.
    The Art Smith is great, but a lot of the newbies that I see from the PCE shuttle rides look like they are dying out there on the Art Smith. Like you said, it's not all downhill coming from Dunn on the Art Smith. There is a lot of climbing that maxes out most of the riders that aren't real experienced. The PCE alone is more than some can handle. Everyone should be prepared for the extra climbing on the Art Smith. The shuttle riders that I see on the Art Smith look at me like I am alien when they see me climbing up from the Palm Desert side with a sleeveless jersey and lycra, when they are covered in protective gear. Make sure that you shuttle guys are prepared for more climbing on the Art Smith.

Rides all the bikes!
    Unfortunately, shuttle services have made it even easier for people to get in over their heads. I'm actually amazes that I haven't heard of more mishaps out there.

I'm one of the guys climbing Dunn Rd...to the top.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Unfortunately, shuttle services have made it even easier for people to get in over their heads. I'm actually amazes that I haven't heard of more mishaps out there.

Yeah, I know you are able, but last group that I saw on Art Smith looked like they were on the last leg of an Everest excursion. They had on ski jackets and full body armor. Maybe there is a hockey rink out there that I am unaware of? It wasn't even a cold day! I'm still giggling.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Yeah, I know you are able, but last group that I saw on Art Smith looked like they were on the last leg of an Everest excursion. They had on ski jackets and full body armor. Maybe there is a hockey rink out there that I am unaware of? It wasn't even a cold day! I'm still giggling.
    I try not to be too critical of peoples choices when it comes to safety gear. Some people are more risk averse than others. But...I think the bigger risk out there for most is exhaustion and dehydration, both not helped by excessive safety gear.

I also think that scratches from the brush on PCE is to be expected, not avoided. And any time you don't have to pull cactus spines out, it was a clean ride.

Of course, I'm also the guy riding the Pro Lines at Mammoth and such with a half helmet and glasses being my only safety gear, so I am a bit on the opposite side of the spectrum.

And the Sugerloaf Cafe has become an excellent pit stop of those making a big loop :thumbup:

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Most of us dilapidated locals tend to be clothing minimalists. The only apparel advice that I remember hearing over and over from the first guys riding the PCE out here when I started riding the PCE with them in the mid 90's was "make sure that you wear an old jersey and shorts because the cats claw will tear them up." Even with the shuttle companies trying to turn the PCE into a freeway, the cats claw is still out there! I always have some post-ride neosporin available.

Rides all the bikes!
    Did my first big loop since May, which is also my first time down full PCE since March (if you count Ribbonwood vs Pinyon). Conditions are pretty damn good all around right now.

Might actually do a *gasp* shuttle run with some friends soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

What's the total miles/elevation when doing the complete Dunn Rd to PCE loop?

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokoe View Post
    What's the total miles/elevation when doing the complete Dunn Rd to PCE loop?
    Depends on the route. But roughly 50/8000.

https://strava.app.link/rrT1VC1dz2

mtbr member
    May 2009
    For reference, the Coachella Valley floor is close to sea level and the top of the Pinyon campground parking area is very close to 4,000 of elevation. There is about another 1500 feel of climbing as you head down the PCE with a Dunn Road exit.

Rides all the bikes!
    Skipping Wildhorse and Hahn will drop about 1000'. Starting/ending at the based on Dunn saves about 500' more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Depends on the route. But roughly 50/8000.

https://strava.app.link/rrT1VC1dz2
    For reference, the Coachella Valley floor is close to sea level and the top of the Pinyon campground parking area is very close to 4,000 of elevation. There is about another 1500 feel of climbing as you head down the PCE with a Dunn Road exit.
    Skipping Wildhorse and Hahn will drop about 1000'. Starting/ending at the based on Dunn saves about 500' more.
    Appreciate the information!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Good info here. Planning on earning my stripes on the 1st and gonna climb Dunn. I see some rain in the forecast for Monday, will it help or hurt the trip up Dunn?

Rides all the bikes!
    I just climbed up, just ordered a burger at the Sugarloaf. Rained well yesterday, Dunn seems about the same effort wise vs dry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Damn....real time updates, can't get better then that!!! Have a safe ride down.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just climbed up, just ordered a burger at the Sugarloaf. Rained well yesterday, Dunn seems about the same effort wise vs dry.
    The traction is usually good on Dunn all year. Did you run into the snow? The snow level is pretty low from yesterday's storm. It was chilly at the Art Smith trailhead in Palm Desert about two hours ago. I was up there on a road ride. I would not have wanted to be at Sugarloaf.

Rides all the bikes!
    Hit snow on the road from Sugarloaf to Pine View. Snow covered the trail nearly all the way to the first cattle gate. After that conditions were great!

Minus the puncture...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thinking of doing this on the 10th or 11th, pedaling up Dunn Rd. Any local knowledge I should know? Will be in town from NY for the weekend, rode down the PCE last year and Ubered back to my car at the trailhead. Did Pines to Palms and ended up ending my ride in Cat Canyon after a wrong turn. Wouldn't mind finishing with something else this year.

mtbr member
    If you do this as a climb from the bottom, consider climbing up the Goat trails, up Wildhorse, and then up Hahn Buena vista rather than climbing all the way up Dunn Rd. There are a few spots you'll have to push up but these trails are mostly rideable uphill and would make for a much nicer ride. Dunn Rd just sucks all around, and you'll get enough of it if you climb up all the way to Hwy 74.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    If one were to climb up Dunn or Hahn/Buena Vista, to do the PCE DH portion, what kind of mileage and elevation gain is it? 50 miles? 5k?

mtbr member
    The standard PCE shuttle is 2k up and 6k down. Stats on the full climb and descent will depend on what route you ultimately take up and down but you will close to double the numbers above. Expect around 45mi and 8k give or take.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sidewalk- thanks for posting up your Strava route, I downloaded the GPX file and used it to find my way today. Started off the New Year with that 50 miler. It's a kick in the pants (and nuts) and PCE is everything I imagined.

As much as climbing Dunn is a PIA, at least the shuttle crews are long gone by the time one reaches PCE trailhead. While there were plenty of cars parked at the trailhead, other than coming across 2 sets of hikers, I had the whole trail to myself, all the way to Goat.

Snow is pretty much melted off the top right now but extremely muddy. Almost tucked the front a few times so I slowed down a bit. Missed most all the tasty jumps, simply because I didn't know they were there.

I gotta figure out when I can go back. Little difficult due to distance from OC and it's a all-day affair for me (I'm sure there are beasts out there that can do it in less than 7hrs, but no chance for me, took me a darn near 8).

As for that 3 mile sand wash trail back to Dunn....I was really ready for a comfy seat and a beer by then, I really really hated every inch of that 3 miles. Hahn almost made it worth it, but wasn't good enough to get over my anger of going through 3 miles of sand wash (all on a gradual incline too!!!) on tired legs.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kim View Post
    Anybody ride this lately? What are the trail conditions? Thanks!
    A little chilly but, the sand was in good shape on Saturday.

Photo uploaded is awesome, as usual...

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    If you do this as a climb from the bottom, consider climbing up the Goat trails, up Wildhorse, and then up Hahn Buena vista rather than climbing all the way up Dunn Rd. There are a few spots you'll have to push up but these trails are mostly rideable uphill and would make for a much nicer ride. Dunn Rd just sucks all around, and you'll get enough of it if you climb up all the way to Hwy 74.
    I agree that it is a more fun route, but even more physically demanding. I personally like the hard grinds up places like Dunn. I get three hours of views and alone time.

Typically if I go up Wildhorse and Dunn, I don't go up and do PCE, I just stick to the lower trails. But I also don't like to carry tons of supplies; I like to be fast and light (on my 40 pound Enduro ).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Climbing Dunn Road is very peaceful if you enjoy climbing. There are a lot of resident hikers from Cathedral Canyon that hike it now. It used to be that you might not see anyone on it during the week. That's a huge road to have all to yourself. You can really get into your own head on that long of a slow climb. It's also kind of a zen feeling when you are out there all alone in such a huge area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Back in the eighties there was a race where we had to climb Dunn 3 times, once every lap.
    I can't remember the course completely but it was pretty much just up, then down...brutal!
    EXODUX Jeff

Rides all the bikes!
    Climbing Dunn Road is very peaceful if you enjoy climbing. There are a lot of resident hikers from Cathedral Canyon that hike it now. It used to be that you might not see anyone on it during the week. That's a huge road to have all to yourself. You can really get into your own head on that long of a slow climb. It's also kind of a zen feeling when you are out there all alone in such a huge area.
    I rarely see more than a person or two getting up to the Oasis. Once I get passed the Oasis/3 Mile, it's empty. Maybe a few tires tracks that could have been recent, but, nothingness. I have yet to see ANYONE between the Oasis and the neighborhoods up top. That's about an hour of maybe sighting a couple of people, another two hours of total solitude.

I really do love it. One of the reasons I don't have an interest in eBikes; I take great pleasure in that time grinding away.

Back in the eighties there was a race where we had to climb Dunn 3 times, once every lap.
    I can't remember the course completely but it was pretty much just up, then down...brutal!
    That's just insane. Even if you suppose that the "road" was in slightly better condition then, it still steeper than hell. There is no way that would be any easier then, or now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    While I didn't enjoy the Dunn climb as much as some of you, but I do agree, the views are amazing and there was definitely something special about nothing but the sound of the tires rolling over the dirt, your breathing and being surrounded by the absolute beauty and solitude of a California desert. I'll be doing it again someday.

Just as a sanity check, no one does this during the summer months, right?

Rides all the bikes!
    Latest I have done it was May of 2019. My watch reads a high temperature than reality, especially when moving slow. Based on the data, and knowing that, it was probably about 90* on the climb. That was with two water bottles, and on my big bike. On my XC bike with a pack, I think summer would be okay. But this is my winter getaway, I have other places I prefer to go in summer (mainly Big Bear).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wonder if this is the same legendary race that Dave Turner of Turner Bikes told me about on a PCE ride about a decade ago. He said that the racers had to climb Dunn without a seat. He said that there were a bunch of old mountain bike legends in this race.

If you have to ask...
    The seat post-free climb was one stage of a stage race organized by Cindy Whitehead. There was something like a 7 minute penalty if you wanted to run a saddle for the stage.

I ran it without, figuring that I'd be climbing out of the saddle for the most part anyway, so it was unnecessary weight.
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    The seat post-free climb was one stage of a stage race organized by Cindy Whitehead. There was something like a 7 minute penalty if you wanted to run a saddle for the stage.

I ran it without, figuring that I'd be climbing out of the saddle for the most part anyway, so it was unnecessary weight.
    It makes my knees hurt just thinking about this. I climbed Dunn with an old racer named Benny Parks one day in the 90's. He did the ride up to the tractors out of the saddle in his middle ring while talking the whole way to us Sunday morning group riders. You guys are animals!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Definitely a different race. The "no seat" thing was born from a race back in I believe 1986, where Cindy Whitehead's seatpost broke a mile into a 30something mile race, where instead of abandoning the race, she continued on without a saddle. If I remember, she even won that race.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
    Just as a sanity check, no one does this during the summer months, right?
    It usually starts to get too hot sometime in April but occasionally a cool weather window will pop up. Late May is the latest I've ridden PCE. Memorial Day this year we had a storm come through, and I did a hike from Pinyon Pines down to La Quinta in perfect 70F temps.

Almost 10 yrs ago a group of us did a PCE run as a full moon night ride in August. It was 90F at the top. Cooling off over night was offset by warmer air as we descended so it stayed at 90 the whole ride. And it was very humid especially on the sand wash. The bigger problem was the cactus. Catclaw was heavily encroaching on the trail everywhere, and the trail tread was a carpet of cholla balls flung up by tires at your arms, legs and faces. It was fun and riding up the wash with no lights was cool, but I probably won't do it again.

One ring to mash them all
    Almost 10 yrs ago a group of us did a PCE run as a full moon night ride in August. It was 90F at the top. Cooling off over night was offset by warmer air as we descended so it stayed at 90 the whole ride. And it was very humid especially on the sand wash. The bigger problem was the cactus. Catclaw was heavily encroaching on the trail everywhere, and the trail tread was a carpet of cholla balls flung up by tires at your arms, legs and faces. It was fun and riding up the wash with no lights was cool, but I probably won't do it again.
    Was that the ride with the phone book shin guards?
    A major cause of death among old men is trying to be young men.

Rides all the bikes!
    It was fun and riding up the wash with no lights was cool, but I probably won't do it again.
    I might have to do that this year, just so I can say I don't have to do it again

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I might have to do that this year, just so I can say I don't have to do it again
    My first ride on the PCE was a full moon group ride around 1994 with a cheap light that lasted all of about 20 minutes. I didn't know what I was getting into when the local shop guys invited me. This was my first night ride. Remember, this was before the worn in trails that the PCE is today. I went over the bars about five times because the closest rider with a decent light was about three riders in front of me.

Rides all the bikes!
    My first ride on the PCE was a full moon group ride around 1994 with a cheap light that lasted all of about 20 minutes. I didn't know what I was getting into when the local shop guys invited me. This was my first night ride. Remember, this was before the worn in trails that the PCE is today. I went over the bars about five times because the closest rider with a decent light was about three riders in front of me.
    Lighting has come a long way in 25 years

Luckily, I have good lights, countless hours of night riding experience, and know the PCE pretty well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Was that the ride with the phone book shin guards?
    That's the one. Knowing catclaw and cactus would be horrific I warned everyone multiple times to bring hard shell full knee/shin and arm guards. Then guess what I forgot?

Phone book came to the rescue. Tore about 1/4" out of the one in the hotel room for each leg, shoved it down my socks and duct taped it on. Made it through the ride mostly unscathed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You guys are goats. I did the full epic on Friday, started and finished in Cathedral City at the bottom of Dunn Road. That was the hardest climb I've ever done, I ended up walking the steep/tech sections knowing that I was only a short way into a long ride and on the first day of my long weekend. All in all my ride was just a touch under 45 miles and ~7550ft of vertical gain.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/te...y-1-2999913111

I also made San Juan into an epic on Saturday and highly recommend it.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3003151884

mtbr member
    Nice work. Climbing from the bottom puts the epic back into PCE. The PC shuttle isn't epic anymore that everyone and their grandma is shuttling it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    How does this ride compare to TWE in Moab as far as physical effort and tech? Wed be coming out from Phnx so acclimated to dessert riding

Robertson
    More climbing than TWE, tech is a bit less though. Much more exposure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patnugent View Post
    You guys are goats. I did the full epic on Friday, started and finished in Cathedral City at the bottom of Dunn Road. That was the hardest climb I've ever done, I ended up walking the steep/tech sections knowing that I was only a short way into a long ride and on the first day of my long weekend. All in all my ride was just a touch under 45 miles and ~7550ft of vertical gain.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/te...y-1-2999913111

I also made San Juan into an epic on Saturday and highly recommend it.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3003151884
    Dude! Back to back monster days. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com