North county San Diego- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

North county San Diego

Moving to San Marcos in the fall. I ride both mountain and road bikes. Are there any good trails in the area? I'm a beginner and interested in both "fun" and "challenging" trails. Also, are there any road bike trails along the coast? Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Yes and yes. For road bikes look up Swami's Cycling. There are a lot of good trails around here as well. Lake Hodges is good for beginners, but you can add different sections if you want to include some intermediate parts. La Costa is fun for a local after work ride. Elfin Forest is a lot of fun, but be prepared to climb. The site for San Diego trails is MTB Bill.

mtbr member
    IMO, the best place to ride in North County for a great workout with tons of variety is Calavera in Carlsbad. That's about 10 minutes west of San Marcos. If you want an easy, fast ride with nice views, Lake Hodges is about 10 minutes east. Elfin Forest if you want to climb and climb some more and then there's Daley Ranch about 15 minutes east as well. It has some of everything but not enough singletrack (or even doubletrack for that matter) for me to make the drive.

It ain't easy being Green
    About 20 mins south on I-15 and a jog east on 52 will get you to Mission Trails, exit the freeway at Mast Blvd, turn right at the end of the ramp into the parking lot.
    There seem to be several group rides that start at 8:00am on Sundays, if you show up and ask around I'm sure that one of them will let you tag along. MTRP has miles and miles of challenging single track trails, you can spend months learning them all and it's much easier if you can follow a group while you figure it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback!