New To Agoura Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

New To Agoura Area

I'm moving up to Agoura/Oak Park next week. I've only ridden Suicide in this area before. Looking to check out the other good trails nearby and figure out the best routes. Sheeps Corral and some of the black diamonds look interesting. Also, if there's a less painful way to get to the top of Suicide I'd love to see it. If anyone's up for showing me around let me know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Welcome to the area, there's plenty of great trails around. On the topic of Agoura/Cheeseboro, sheep corral is plenty of fun, and Dead Cow right next to Suicide is also a fun option as well. There's really only two ways to get to Suicide. 1) Up Dead Cow 2) Up Palo Comado all the way and then take a left off of the China Flat loop. The Palo climb is longer than Dead Cow but its mostly just fire road except for the offshoot from China Flat.
    Since Agoura is only a stone's throw away from Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks I'd Recommend:
    1) Space Mountain/Rosewood in Thousand Oaks. Space Mountain is a relatively moderate trail with some fun and fast chunky sections. Rosewood on the backside is flowy and high speed, but watch for hikers on this side of the hill. You can usually climb up one side and descend the other, or climb up/descend both ways for a longer ride.
    2) Backbone/Guadalasca is a fun loop. From Sycamore Canyon, drop down into the Canyon and either climb up Guadalasca and descend Backbone, or vice versa.
    3) Hit up some of the trails in Simi Valley. It's often easiest to climb up Santa Susana road to Rocky Peak Fireroad and then take one of the trails (Hummingbird, Grudge) back down and repeat. The trails in Simi Valley are the most challenging in the area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Agree with DRS.

If suicide was easy, try Secret Obsession near it for something harder.

In Westlake, Triunfo park is a good starting point for some decent blue trails, look for Robles East and Spectrum.

In Newbury Park there's some fun, short, aggressive trails (I think put together by the Worldwide Cyclery guys) all near "Holloway" trail.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks guys. I should have mentioned I live in LA now and moving from the West side to Agoura. I've ridden Simi a handful of times and love it. I've ridden space MTN a couple of times too.

I've never hit Triunfo, Newbury, or Sycamore canyon. I'll have to check those out.

How's the Palo Comado climb for suicide? A little quicker?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Forget my question about Palo Comado being quicker...I just looked it up on trailforks.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Can anyone recommend a good route to the top of secret obsession? Can you climb up this trail? Or do you need to approach the top from another direction?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    definitely not climbable - very steep and loose.

It's all the same issues getting to as suicide.
    There's no quick and easy way - it's steep and technical or long and pedal-y