Moving To OC- Mtbr.com

Thread: Moving To OC

mtbr member

Moving To OC

Good Places to ride around Irvine area, moving there in June. Looking road rides and mountain bikes. Also if there are places to avoid riding, because of heavy traffic. thankyou
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Whiting Ranch in Foothill is good. Just watch out for the mountain lions...

mtbr member
    Thank you i will have to do some research on whiting ranch...

mtbr member
    Very easy to find group rides in the OC if you're interested.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I feel for you. That being said, make The Path Bike Shop your home in Tustin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Depending on where you live in Irvine, you will be really close to Laguna Coast Wilderness, El Moro, and Bommer Cyn. A good website for the LA/OC area is socaltrailriders.org.

mtbr member
    I live in South Irvine, at UCI basically, and I can ride to Bommer Canyon, El Moro via Ridge Park, and Laguna Coast. It's nice because I don't have a car, so having places in riding distance is a huge plus.

If you live in North Irvine, you are almost at the base of the Santa Anas, and there is plenty of riding for you there. Also, about 20-25 minutes down the road is Aliso Woods, and 20 minutes up the road is Santiago Oaks. Whiting is also about 30 minutes-ish away. I too recommend checking out Socailtrailriders.org
    Last edited by formu1fan; 05-08-2012 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    thanks everyone for the information

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Yep, lots of fun stuff close by! Shoot me a pm if you want a tour after you're in town.

Doug
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice--pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    Good Places to ride around Irvine area, moving there in June. Looking road rides and mountain bikes. Also if there are places to avoid riding, because of heavy traffic. thankyou
    Some of the best/fastest organized road rides in the country are in Orange County.

SoCalCycling.com - Your Cycling Source : Bicycle Training Rides, Group Rides in Southern California
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    dirtvert I will definitely let you know when i start exploring ....thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am also moving to Orange County, I will be working in Lake Forest/Irvine and would like suggestions for locations to live (Single 30 looking to rent) . I would really like to have some out the door riding options (road or mountain) , and would love to have an afterwork loop (I really miss being able to climb Flagstaff in Boulder CO afterwork).

What is the Road riding situation like in Southern OC? driving around the area it didnt strike me as very road cyclist friendly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Can't help you with where to live in OC, but I can tell you that road riding in OC is better than LA County. Just open Google Maps and search Irvine. Then click on the bicycling check box. You will see a lot of green. Most is bike lane, but some is off the road paths.

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    If you're looking for technical singletrack with steep trails and amazing ocean views, then try to live in south Irvine - UCI/Turtle Ridge area or even the Spectrum so you can access Laguna Coast Wilderness/El Morro/Aliso Cyn. For long climbs with lots of vertical on fire roads, you'll want to live in north Irvine by the Santa Ana Mtns. Aliso Viejo is a great place for getting in before or after work rides.
    For road rides, there are early morning rides, training/racing rides after work at the defunct El Toro Marine base and good weekend group rides.
    There are a lot of stoplights in OC, but tons of bike lanes and motorists are very bike friendly. It's a great place to be a cyclist!

mtbr member
    The "San Diego Creek / Mountains to the Sea" road bike trail which takes you from East Irvine to Newport Beach is hands-down my fav road bike trail in the OC. It's completely segregated from open roads and pretty much follows alongside the San Diego Creek waterway all the way to the Upper Newport Bay area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Smile

Try Ridge Park. Mostly fire roads but some single track. Easy to get to and not too crowed. Good if you like to climb!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    The "San Diego Creek / Mountains to the Sea" road bike trail which takes you from East Irvine to Newport Beach is hands-down my fav road bike trail in the OC..
    I am not so sure about the concrete river with the decapitation wire fence, I have basically been off the bike all season and find it easier to get back in shape on the road, are there any good rides within a 60 minute drive (Irvine)? Are there any longer road climbs in OC?

mtbr member
    If you can find this let me know!!

Here is a trail I ride in south OC

Some more Oakley trail stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    I am not so sure about the concrete river with the decapitation wire fence, I have basically been off the bike all season and find it easier to get back in shape on the road, are there any good rides within a 60 minute drive (Irvine)? Are there any longer road climbs in OC?
    That would explain the significant decrease in roadie traffic on that path over the past couple of years. I live right next to a portion of it and there used to be a constant flow of roadie groups on that path. Not so much nowadays. Still, I would think that the portion which runs along barranca and whips around UCI would still be totally accessible and relatively safe.

As far as road "climbs" in the Irvine area go, I tend to see roadies hauling themselves up the hills on Jamboree just east of Irvine Boulevard as I'm driving towards Santiago Canyon. That's actually the Orange / Tustin area, but I tend to think of Irvine, Tustin, and parts of Orange as being part of the same area.

I never ride roadie nowadays, but if I did and was interested in a ride within a 60 minute driving distance, I would most likely head down to the Camp Pendleton / San Onofre area and ride the bike path which runs alongside the 5 freeway and is virtually adjacent to the coastline.
    Last edited by sponger; 07-26-2012 at 02:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger View Post
    I never ride roadie nowadays, but if I did and was interested in a ride within a 60 minute driving distance, I would most likely head down to the Camp Pendleton / San Onofre area and ride the bike path which runs alongside the 5 freeway and is virtually adjacent to the coastline.
    it's so weird how camp Pendleton is really so close to San clemente.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Come race in O'Neill Regional Park on Aug. 25th! Preride the course Aug 11 starting at the new Path Bike Shop future location at 30555 Trabuco Canyon Road. Register online at www(dot)endurostuffevents(dot)com!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Here's a vid of the trail as of Sept 2012. Looks safe.

Jamboree Rd, Peter's Canyon Trail and San Diego Creek Trail - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 0