Moving to LA- can live wherever I want, kinda- Mtbr.com
    ~~~~~~~

Moving to LA- can live wherever I want, kinda

Chances are high I'll be moving to LA for work. My role will be to open up a new market for a bay area startup. So, while I have a few restrictions defined by potential client locations, I'm pretty much able to live and work wherever. So, where do I live if I want to ride both my mountain bike and my road bike and get in some solid trail runs?

I'm thinking the Pasadena area looks pretty nice. Any other suggestions? I'm not very familiar with LA or SoCal trails. I'll be renting and budget isn't a huge issue. I do need to find a place that allows me to have my dog and a place to store 5 bikes. That's about the only real restrictions. Looking at June 1st or 15th for a move date.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

So Cal Slayin'
    Depending on what your range is, I think Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park is a nice place to live. Not only are you pretty local to a lot of nice trails, its a nice and safe city to live in. Only thing is if you have to commute to L.A. everyday, it may be somewhat of a pain in the ass getting down there will all the traffic. Pasadena would definitely be closer to L.A., and is also a very nice place to live, but I'm not sure of the trail situation out there. Hopefully somebody else will chime in on that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The San Gabriels are 5-10min from Pasadena. Some of the best riding in So Cal. Lots of other stuff within an hour.

And as far as cities go, Pasadena is great too.

R

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider View Post
    The San Gabriels are 5-10min from Pasadena. Some of the best riding in So Cal. Lots of other stuff within an hour.

And as far as cities go, Pasadena is great too.

R
    I like in Agoura Hills (near Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks), and we have a great variety of trails and some excellent road riding through the Santa Monica Mountains. It's suburban out here, so lower population density but not so many urban amenities, like places to eat (though of course there are plenty of restaurants in the region).

I love it here (but located here for raising a family), but I have to say that Pasadena or that general area would be really nice. It is very close to the San Gabriel Mountains - more like real mountains! There are quite a few great trails (though I haven't tried those) plus some serious road climbs. It's definitely more of a urban lifestyle. Much closer to a variety of restaurants and other urban activities, and more central to the city. It's more congested than Agoura Hills and the air quality is not as good, however, so you might want to factor that in. Still, a really nice area.

jms
    mtbr member

Idyllwild

Idyllwild.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Remember this, everyone who is not from LA wants to move to LA & everyone who is from LA wants to move away from LA. This is speaking of the actual city of LA & not other cities within the county. I'd suggest just about anywhere in OC. I like south OC as I used to live there. It's a safe & very active community.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler View Post
    Chances are high I'll be moving to LA for work. My role will be to open up a new market for a bay area startup. So, while I have a few restrictions defined by potential client locations, I'm pretty much able to live and work wherever. So, where do I live if I want to ride both my mountain bike and my road bike and get in some solid trail runs?

I'm thinking the Pasadena area looks pretty nice. Any other suggestions? I'm not very familiar with LA or SoCal trails. I'll be renting and budget isn't a huge issue. I do need to find a place that allows me to have my dog and a place to store 5 bikes. That's about the only real restrictions. Looking at June 1st or 15th for a move date.

Thanks for your help!
    I live in the South Pasadena area and work in Downtown LA. I usually ride the Glendora Mountains on weekends (20 min Drive) and Cherry Canyon/Altadena area Mountains during the the week (15-20min drive). Within 30 Minutes of the Pasadena area there will be great trails and you still have the Santa Monica Mountains. Orange County area stuff is within 45-60 minutes.

mtbr member
    I live in OC. Tustin to be exact. We have 7 parks within 30 minutes driving and two of them are within riding distance. We road bike on a regular basis too. Nothing like hitting the coast to San Diego, stopping at one of the 4 Pizza Ports then taking the train back North.
    Oh, and the train runs into LA as well.
    If you want more info PM my your email and we can yap!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    L.A. has good mountain biking! Especially in the San Gabriels! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    I like what I'm hearing in this thread since I'm also looking at moving out to Pasadena.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I like what I'm hearing in this thread since I'm also looking at moving out to Pasadena.
    Pasadena is a good central location. What city will you be working in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    MALIBU! Definitely Malibu.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Covi101 View Post
    Pasadena is a good central location. What city will you be working in?
    Just got a job right on the border of Pasadena and La Canada. Turns out I'm actually parking in the lot where el prieto starts.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I love Pasadena. Too bad it's such a hassle to get to from the West Side. Meh...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Zero, now you can stroll the canyon with all the engineer geeks on your lunch break. LOL
    To the Op/ not only are the San Gabs 10 minutes away, So. Pasadena ,Pasadena, La Canada Flintridge, along the Arroyo Seco, the Rose Bowl, is all prime Roadie turf. Beautiful, mostly residential w/low traffic.
    Last edited by rjedoaks; 05-01-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Zero, now you can stroll the canyon with all the engineer geeks on your lunch break.

ridin' Mary
    I love Pasadena in Winter and in Spring. I have lots of family there.

But you could not pay me enough to visit Pasadena in Summer or in Fall. I cannot breathe the $h!t they call "air" up there for about half the year. If you want to breathe good air, make sure you live by the coast because inland LA region has truly awful air quality.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo View Post
    I love Pasadena in Winter and in Spring. I have lots of family there.

But you could not pay me enough to visit Pasadena in Summer or in Fall. I cannot breathe the $h!t they call "air" up there for about half the year. If you want to breathe good air, make sure you live by the coast because inland LA region has truly awful air quality.
    Is it the same with Covina-Pomona area as well?

b a n n e d

Isn't that you in the back??

Edit: Nope . . . in the yellow. Probably an XXL Segway.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

ridin' Mary
    Quote Originally Posted by Vole View Post
    Is it the same with Covina-Pomona area as well?
    To my lungs... yes. Unless you are within 5 miles of the coast, you're breathing $h!t. I lived my first 30 years in LA/OC, and was always within 5 miles of the coast. Inland trips during summer and fall are the only times in my life that I've ever had athsma-like symptoms.

Now I live in San Diego. I don't miss LA at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OhNooo View Post
    To my lungs... yes. Unless you are within 5 miles of the coast, you're breathing $h!t. I lived my first 30 years in LA/OC, and was always within 5 miles of the coast. Inland trips during summer and fall are the only times in my life that I've ever had athsma-like symptoms.
    Hmm.. will see next week. Let`s hope it`s not as bad as you said

Big Hittin'
    Santa Monica.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

Isn't that you in the back??

Edit: Nope . . . in the yellow. Probably an XXL Segway.
    Looks fun

Peace & Love
    BORING...dont live "just" to be close to trails as there are great trails everywhere. I would never live anywhere in Ventura county if i were single...you didnt mention that i dont think.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    Santa Monica.
    good call...a proper place to live, unless raising a family in which case a boring place like thousand oaks is good.

santa monica...malibu....pasadena tolerable but total crap summer weather imho. whatever, just look around

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got a job right on the border of Pasadena and La Canada. Turns out I'm actually parking in the lot where el prieto starts.
    Let me know when you are going to do El Prieto.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Once a squirrel, a REALLY BIG squirrel, and a Ground squirrel, to boot, (they can carry rabies! and.....plague! ) attacked the front wheel of my bike, with vicious abandon.

Fortunately, I was moving at the time, making about 13 mph, which provided me enough momentum to the wheel and the spokes (thankfully they were straight gauge, and not wimpy DB spokes,) to survive the impact of the brute's charge, and neatly crush it's spine, to boot. I last saw it crawling, dragging it's hind legs, down into a burrow hole.

Boy, that was a close one!

EDIT: MY bad. I'm gettin' old. I thought this was the 'scariest animal encounter' thread on the SoCal forum, and I wanted make fun of it. Sorry.
    Last edited by Old Ray; 05-04-2012 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The rule of thumb is the closer to the water, the more expensive to live. And the farther from water, the hotter the summers and greater the smog.

You also mentioned riding road bikes. We have some great Class 1 bikeways: SGRT, SART, Back Bay, etc. If you want to mtb and road, I suggest being close to both bikeway and mountain trails.

Pasadena has great mtb trials, but not great Class 1 bikeways. Glendora has GMR and not too far from SGRT and great mtb (Monroe, Sunset, Marshall/Potato, CWP).

Tustin/Irvine is close to Peter's Canyon, Santiago Oaks, and even Blackstar for mtb, and the Back Bay trail for road.

Aliso, Newport Beach and Laguna has great weather and close to Class 1 and mtb (Aliso Woods, El Morro, Laguna Wilderness), but the costs can be sky high.

I think the number one consideration is where can you afford to live!

b a n n e d
    Hey, my apartment will be available June 10! Right near UCLA

Pro Crastinator
    there goes the neighborhood...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That`s too busy area for me, but if anyone knows an apartement to let around Covina-Pomona area please let me know. ( around $800-$1000 / mth, from 05/21 )

Thanks

Peace & Love
    what does near UCLA mean? do you live in a frat house? or a mile or 2 away?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    what does near UCLA mean? do you live in a frat house? or a mile or 2 away?
    1.6 miles to the medical center (where I work). Its not a college neighborhood, but close enough for a 25 min. walk or a 10 min. bike ride (depending on traffic lights). Near SM Blvd. and Westwood Blvd.

Peace & Love
    1.6 miles to the medical center (where I work). Its not a college neighborhood, but close enough for a 25 min. walk or a 10 min. bike ride (depending on traffic lights). Near SM Blvd. and Westwood Blvd.
    cool...one of my places is down wilshire in a really bad part of town but i love it. other place is the polar opposite but great for road biking (which of course i dont yet own). i love to bike but no way would i obsess about HAVING to live next to a trailhead. i tend to ride in different areas anyway and since i cant live next to 20 trailheads all at once....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Advantage of being near road or mtb trailhead is car free and great for time-crunched rides. Also if weather is off and on bad, you can look outside and get a quick ride in.

Disadvantage is riding the same trails and not always practical/sensible/reasonable.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by glance2 View Post
    Advantage of being near road or mtb trailhead is car free and great for time-crunched rides. Also if weather is off and on bad, you can look outside and get a quick ride in.

Disadvantage is riding the same trails and not always practical/sensible/reasonable.
    of course i understand that. i am also not pointing out the obvious of often living next to a trailhead, when not riding, is utterly boring with nothing of worth to do thus, pros and cons is all. could care less where people live but if given the choice to move to LA, where there happens to be a little bit to do besides biking, may want to consider...or not, i dont care. i am bored and chose to waste time on the internet until something better comes along, which is not saying much

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I heard Hollywood Beach has pretty happenin' nightlife, with the Rudder Room and all...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're at the medical center? Same here.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    I heard Hollywood Beach has pretty happenin' nightlife, with the Rudder Room and all...
    lol...tru dat. and i bike there. sure, not on a MTB but rather my cruiser, but still

Members who have read this thread: 0