Mountain Lion on Long Canyon Trail in Simi- Mtbr.com
    Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010

Mountain Lion on Long Canyon Trail in Simi

Probably no surprise but I saw a mountain lion twice on the trail this morning. Once on the way up and again a few hours later on the way down.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido5 View Post
    Probably no surprise but I saw a mountain lion twice on the trail this morning. Once on the way up and again a few hours later on the way down.
    Consider yourself lucky to have such an experience few of us ever do. Carry on that is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Very lucky indeed! I've still never seen one, would love to. What was it doing, to still be around a few hours later?

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    Very lucky indeed! I've still never seen one, would love to. What was it doing, to still be around a few hours later?
    I have a feeling he is living in that area. When I saw him he crossed the trail and ran up the hill. To warn hikers, I was making a lot of noise as I was coming down the trail so I didn't startle him. I did up the speed as I passed him though. He seemed to be as nervous of me as I was of him.

I have a feeling he is living in that area. When I saw him he crossed the trail and ran up the hill. To warn hikers, I was making a lot of noise as I was coming down the trail so I didn't startle him. I did up the speed as I passed him though. He seemed to be as nervous of me as I was of him.
    Of course he/she lives in the area but only one to two cats lives in a 30 square mile of space. They are very solitary and allusive cats. They don't put up with one another and one cat requires that amount of space. They know when they are in another cats space due to smell markings and will keep traveling to avoid confrontation. They move until they find thier own territory. Pretty awesome cats and very similar to a Leopard in characteristics. Most other large cats are very social and hang in groups. But to see a Mountain Lion with another adult is very rare. The adults only come together for mating purposes. Most sightings with more than one cat is useually an adult and a yearling. You may see him again but likely not due to it's huge territory and even then the allusive behavior. Most likely you may never see another one in the wild again. That's why in my first post I said concider yourself lucky to have seen him few ever do.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-15-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Was this sighting on the singletrack just above the houses, or further back on the fire road?
    Bionically Modified

Controlled Crash
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    Was this sighting on the singletrack just above the houses, or further back on the fire road?
    On the East side of First St. just above the rock archway.

mtbr member
    There was a mother and cub up there a few years ago- maybe 3-4 years ago and after that one big male- sounds like this is the male thats out there now. I live in Utah now and the size of the cats out here has compared to the ones up in the simi hills I was used to.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf View Post
    There was a mother and cub up there a few years ago- maybe 3-4 years ago and after that one big male- sounds like this is the male thats out there now. I live in Utah now and the size of the cats out here has compared to the ones up in the simi hills I was used to.
    More critters to eat in Utah makes for bigger cats. Bigger Deer population along with Elk and lots more various smaller animals to dine on. Steak dinners running rampant

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you don't have a photo, it never happened In all seriousness, I grew up in the valley and rode up Topanga Cyn all the time. Never saw a mountain lion, but always saw snakes. Where I used to ride, is now all covered in new houses. Pretty crappy if you ask me

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ohh yeah... forgot to mention. I rode up on the chatsworth side of Topanga, not the woodland hills side.

Wheel Builder
    He seemed to be as nervous of me as I was of him.
    Iv seen a LOT of wild animals in my days of hiking and biking, ranging from mere feet away from bears to riding and watching coyotes run along next to me. Iv seen mountain lions in the wild but never too close. But as far as wild animals go, the ones you see are never the problem, its the ones you don't that you have to be weary of.

My first two week hiking trip opened my eyes as to the danger of the beautiful beast. The first two days of the trek you have a guide with you to make sure you are prepared for the hike. He carried with him in easy reach a thick metal stick. We couldn't pin point what it was for, but he told us any ways. Apparently the mountain lions in the area were known to stalk hikers.

Glad to Be Alive
    you are very lucky...I would love to see one in the wild in my lifetime
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Huh! all I see are "cougars" in the area. Specially at dusk stalking the parking lot area.