Mountain Biker shot at Lake Hodges- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Mountain Biker shot at Lake Hodges

Mountain biker shot in the hand and his bike was stolen. Happened under the bridge at Hwy 15 and lake Hodges. Bike was reported to be an orange Niner.

https://www.facebook.com/71076071171...694689&sfns=mo

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Be aware. Crazy things out there. This is not normal.

Mountain biker shot in hand and has bike stolen at Lake Hodges.

San Diego Police Department
    Advisory: Watch Commander's Log

Begin Date/Time: 08/05/2019 08:11 PM

Neighborhood: San Pasqual
    Inc Type: ROBBERY

Synopsis: A 37 year old male was riding his bicycle eastbound on the bike path under I-15 when a male suspect, jumped out from behind the rocks. The suspect pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded his bike. The victim raised his hands and the suspect shot four times at the victim, striking the victim once in the hand. The victim jumped off his bike and ran the way he came. The suspect rode off in an unknown direction. The victim was transported to the hospital for his injury. The suspect was described as an unknown race male, 6'2", thin and wearing all black clothing. SDPD's Robbery detectives were notified.

Contact SDPD if you have any info.

#nowords #ridesafe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's insane. Good thing the thief was such a lousy shot. Wow.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    HOLY CRAP!

My wife always hated riding under that bridge.... now I will never get her to ride at Hodges with me.....

I really hope the man who was shot is okay and the Thief is caught soon.

Just horrible!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YJ Bill View Post
    Mountain biker shot in the hand and his bike was stolen. Happened under the bridge at Hwy 15 and lake Hodges. Bike was reported to be an orange Niner.

https://www.facebook.com/71076071171...694689&sfns=mo
    This happened Monday evening, and there is still no mention in the news.

Boyeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    This happened Monday evening, and there is still no mention in the news.
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...iego-escondido

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My mistake. My quick Google search did not turn up that article.

mtbr member
    In Portland bikers on the Springwater trail are assaulted, raped, stabbed, kidnapped and raped, shot, & killed on a regular basis. I think the solution is providing yet more services to enable yet more crack heads. In Portland if you squat in the same spot for x-amount of days you can sit in on that neighborhoods/townships/counties council and your vote counts. You can't make this shit up.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    In Portland bikers on the Springwater trail are assaulted, raped, stabbed, kidnapped and raped, shot, & killed on a regular basis. I think the solution is providing yet more services to enable yet more crack heads. In Portland if you squat in the same spot for x-amount of days you can sit in on that neighborhoods/townships/counties council and your vote counts. You can't make this shit up.
    Without links to articles with actual statistics to back up the term "regular basis" you are making that up.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Boyeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    My mistake. My quick Google search did not turn up that article.
    Yeah. I only know because my wife sent it to me. I ride through there in the mornings sometimes. This particular day, I decided to go to Daley instead...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Without links to articles with actual statistics to back up the term "regular basis" you are making that up.
    Yeah, there's some range in semantics there, maybe I should of said with alarming frequency. Accurately would be to state everytime I turn on the news. The latest to memory that stands out is a crack head that randomly hit a citizen in the head several times with a hammer. The best part is he already attacked another person in the head with a hammer, was arrested and jailed but in someone's infinite wisdom was set free to do it again.
    I've personally been using the Springwater trail for many years, it currently resembles something out of a post apocalyptic film, seriously.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Damn that sucks! Glad the biker got away and hope he's ok. Too bad we cant just carry a small pistol on us without applying for a concealed carry permit and waiting forever. I'm sure many of us ride alone quite often in remote areas and crazy shit can happen. Stay safe out there peeps!

Ride lots...
    Quote Originally Posted by btsjeff View Post
    Too bad we cant just carry a small pistol on us without applying for a concealed carry permit and waiting forever.
    You are not going to get one in San Diego county. Not a chance. Sheriff Gore will not issue them. California is a "May issue" state and it doesn't happen in San Diego unless you are a FOB: Friend of Bill (Gore), and/or are rich and make a hefty donation to his next re-election campaign.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by btsjeff View Post
    Damn that sucks! Glad the biker got away and hope he's ok. Too bad we cant just carry a small pistol on us without applying for a concealed carry permit and waiting forever. I'm sure many of us ride alone quite often in remote areas and crazy shit can happen. Stay safe out there peeps!
    What are you going to do? Pretend you are Dirty Harry and draw on someone who already has you in his sights? In this case, before he would have even had the opportunity to reach for his gun, he would have been shot. Now perhaps you either would have been dead with the bad guy getting a new gun AND your bike, or the same damn outcome.

This isn't a fvcking video game or movie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    HOLY CRAP!

My wife always hated riding under that bridge.... now I will never get her to ride at Hodges with me.....

Just horrible!
    Yes, my future wife is downstairs... Do I tell her?! That's crazy because that corridor is used by so many people. On any day at any time it's hard to make it from the street to the base of the walking bridge without seeing at least a couple people, especially in summer

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    HOLY CRAP!

Just horrible!
    Also, I was just googling, and USA Today used your post in their article . I hope they got your permission.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Also, I was just googling, and USA Today used your post in their article . I hope they got your permission.

they most certainly did not.....

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/mou...shooting-theft

But I am not sure if they need my permission to copy and paste something posted on a public forum.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    “Pretend you are Dirty Harry and draw on someone who already has you in his sights?”

You kill the guy after he shoots at you 4 times and misses 3.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    they most certainly did not.....

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/mou...shooting-theft

But I am not sure if they need my permission to copy and paste something posted on a public forum.
    You're famous now

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    You're famous now

They did not credit or quote me..... lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Co Springs
    Accurate info is very helpful and citing sources is ideal. That's scary crap right the
    re and to think we may just hear about it on local news or not ....

Mainly (and related); Do 'we' have a one spot source here for posting things like this so all of us can search or review areas for an idea of how risky areas are based on recent crime activity or a spat of bad behaviors and violence?
    Profiling neighborhoods and opinion isn't the goal but facts like Police blotter, PSA or trustworthy links to related information.
    I ask because I may have from time-to-time, run across a post like this yet I suspect seeing it was just happenstance.
    Our towns, streets and areas are getting quite busy these days and whether it's news not keeping up or only selections of crimes being reported, I think we are missing valuable formation. We don't know what we don't know.

Just thinking of the time spent on all-things-bike here and our sometimes mindless drivel over little things when we may miss out warning or being warned or updated on threating or even deadly areas, conditions or safety related advice by locals in the know. Hopefully, we find a method of interpreting more and better information without mass hysteria or paranoia.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    I always laugh when those people bring up how the situation would've been different if they too had a gun. It seems that almost every mass shooting( I know this wasn't a mass shooting) that there is someone who is armed, and probably luckily, they were too afraid to start shooting back.
    EXODUX Jeff

One ring to mash them all
    It doesn't sound like the perp would've given the cyclist a chance to draw on him anyway, much less any other kind of resistance.

The suspect pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded his bike. The victim raised his hands and the suspect shot four times at the victim, striking the victim once in the hand.
    "…it has long been said: oft evil will shall evil mar."
    — Tolkien

Real eyes realize real lies.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    It doesn't sound like the perp would've given the cyclist a chance to draw on him anyway, much less any other kind of resistance.
    Yeah, that criminal was a bad shot, sounds like his intent was murder....

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    A murdering bike thief. It could only get worse if they learn to shoot with the gun held upright. Those sights really do work!

Then again, if the victim was holding his hands up and was shot in the hand, then the thief might be a very good shot, indeed. I was making an assumption there, fueled by the general details around criminal shootings, which often report more bystanders shot than actual targets they were aiming at. My bad.....

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I always laugh when those people bring up how the situation would've been different if they too had a gun. It seems that almost every mass shooting( I know this wasn't a mass shooting) that there is someone who is armed, and probably luckily, they were too afraid to start shooting back.
    'could have been different' , maybe.

Far too many stories (incidents) these days involving guns, shooting, violence or attacks. One thing is for sure though. It seems we can find examples to support feelings on either side of the aisle if it's; give up and hope they don't shoot or I'm going in fighting.

An unprovoked murdering bike thief seems rare but maybe this was one. I'd guess it's possible the gun accidentally discharged and the thief fired again or few times to save face. Many of these Einstein's that march around ready to rob at the slightest opportunity are 7 parts desperate, 2 parts gun competency and 1 part shy of a full deck.

A third of the funny vids I see on social media are a gun-toting robber getting a beatdown by little more than a broomstick from a store owner.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm a gun owner myself, and non combat veteran (I was in the engine room of a ship when I was in bad places).

I can't picture how the hell I would carry a gun on me where it would be accessable AND not cause a bigger threat to me in 99.999999999999999% of my time on my bike. I know some people just cruise around, and having an easy access holster is fine for them. But I don't ride like that, I ride REALLY hard. No way I can carry a gun without it being a bigger risk to myself if I want it accessable in a scenario like this. If I have it secured enough where it isn't a risk, then I'd have to really fall back to safety before I could access it (and it is stored ready to fire right now).

Only I stances I can think of where I would desire carrying:
    -When I'm horseback (yes, I have a horse) and am out on trail.
    -If I was out bike packing.

Data shows that bear spray is a bigger threat neutralizer then a gun in most real instances of when a gun could be useful.

I'm just being realistic. But I think in this case, the bad guy probably panicked when the MTBer freaked out. First round went though the hand, rest were random as it is just so easy to squeeze off rounds on a semi auto. By then the MTBer was fleeing and no longer a threat to the bad guy, so bad guy took off in the opposite direction with the bike.

MTBer would have had to have clarity of mind to somehow get to his weapon while the bad guy was already drawn on him, guaranteeing that bad guy would shoot. Of hope to return fire AFTER he had been shot in the hand.

Really, which scenario sounds likely?

How often does this happen to you?

I wreck almost every time I ride my MTB. Not every, but close enough that I can't think of a place on my body I can safely and securely carry and have access to. And I sure as hell NOT going to change my riding to be boring in case of the tiny chance a bad guy might magically appear. I ride about 1000 hours a year (yes, really).

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I can't picture how the hell I would carry a gun on me where it would be accessable AND not cause a bigger threat to me in 99.999999999999999% of my time on my bike.
    I'm glad someone said this. I've been trying to picture a full on XC-lycra-wearing rider with a "small pistol" tucked in his shorts, but you just can't take that seriously.

Everyone talks big about what they'd do when confronted directly with an armed assailant, but voluntarily putting one's self in harm's way when it's serious is a whole different story. You have to remember that in reality, though we're all heroes in our own minds, we're really mostly all just sheep. Most people in our little world are afraid to ride their bike over a drop, or jump a small double. (Yes yes, I know all the PinkBike kids all have crazy teen-ninja skills but let's be realistic over here.) If you want to extend that analogy to the general population, most people have an unreasonable fear of spiders and a lot of people are so scared they even have a hard time killing them. And before you say, "not me", please post a pic of you kissing a black widow, or a brown recluse.

#tldr: you have to take all those "I wish I could carry a gun" comments for what they are.

(Please don't really go out and kiss a poisonous spider so you can make a point)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't picture how the hell I would carry a gun on me where it would be accessible
    This is how I'm rolling at Hodges now:

Name:  gunbike3.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  60.0 KB

Mountain Biker shot at Lake Hodges-gunbike2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Seriously though this whole situation is pretty crazy. The area where this happened sees a ton of foot traffic from hikers all the time, it's one of the most popular trails in SD. It's not a sketchy area.

mtbr member
    Is there anything Voile straps can't do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The rider on the Surly gets to go first.

Rides all the bikes!
    All fun and games, until you follow my lines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Biker shot at Lake Hodges-download_20190425_231427.jpg  

IPA tester
    Yeah, that criminal was a bad shot, sounds like his intent was murder....
    He probably wasn't the brightest bulb but armed robbery might have a lesser sentence than murder. Might have shot to scare, not kill. Just like gang bangers acting like armed thugs. They are 5 feet away and can't hit the person.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    He probably wasn't the brightest bulb but armed robbery might have a lesser sentence than murder. Might have shot to scare, not kill. Just like gang bangers acting like armed thugs. They are 5 feet away and can't hit the person.
    He must have been very dumb if he was shooting to scare and not to harm. If you shoot to scare you point at the ground or the sky, not at a human.

I still hold that if he fired 4 times and actually hit the human standing in front of him his intent was to harm.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Don't waste your time trying to rationalize this thief's actions... why he shot, what he was aiming for, blah, blah, blah... it's a waste of time. I'm sure the guy was under the influence of alcohol/meth/crack/opiods or any combination of the above. Rational thought had nothing to do with it.
    TTUB - Ventura County California